There can be multiple reasons and more or less android and bb have most of it but there is slightly a small thing which makes most consumers missing something (android) like feel etc and screwed up in blackberry 10....
    its SPOTLIGHT SEARCH....

around everyone in my circle who use ios, spotlight search is something embedded in their usage of ios....
    slide down and type a name and click on contact and call
    slide doen and type mail etc to mail...

it includes search, email, msg, contacts everything butterly smooth.

now many ppl will say hey bb also does that whats d difference: the difference is... even we have 3 gig of RAM in passport or say 2 gig in q10 or z30.. try to use it... and see the time difference in taking out the results... and when u have same contact name of more than 2 ppl then click on right side arrow to expand... pathetically slow and un useful.
    i remember bb9900 u type a name in keyboard and it shows the result but i think in bb10 they missed the point. its very very imp to make a spotight search fast and easy.....
    i used galaxy s5 for a week and trust me i couldnt hold it till 2 weeks(i tried a lot) reason: i was missing my SPOTLIGHT SEARCH.... i mean i have 84 apps in my iphone segregated into folders. i cant keep on opening and try to find and then open, i rather type a name in spotlight and its there (now i cant remember in which folder which app is there), in bb q10 also i use to do but using both device i realised bb 10 missed the vital aspect of user satisfaction from os.....

trust me i am not alone in it, its a very small feature and many ppl didnt noticed but it is very imp aspect and only this feature and ease of use made iphone my primary phone, thou still emails are configured in both bb and iphone...

hope someone look into it and convey to bb mgt..... try to check by urself, hope many ppl have both devices... see the ease and usability.... no wonder apple has highest retention coz of ecosystem and these small things. bb invented this search and screwed.... still no one is looking into it:
    please make search like in ios and trust me bb will become my primary phone... and hopefully many ios users too.....

thx for giving time in reading my post.. now i shifted to general bb discussion..
    09-10-14 03:27 AM
    Most iPhone users I know can barely operate the home button, and I often had to show them the double-tap to make all the open apps appear...

Search? Forget it...

(I'm not implying anything, but your circle must be of a more advanced iPhone user species.... )

? BlackBerry? I premdict the future's gonna be chenomenal! ?
    tabish4u and RyanGermann like this.
    09-10-14 03:47 AM
    Most iPhone users I know can barely operate the home button, and I often had to show them the double-tap to make all the open apps appear...

Search? Forget it...

(I'm not implying anything, but your circle must be of a more advanced iPhone user species.... )

yes agreed my circle is more advanced users.. thats why didnt put an example of androids ppl..... thats what blackberry is in that space isin't it...... normal ppl still cant work out with gestures with blackberry..... so thats the target market m talking about.... INFORMED BUYERS i am more taking about...
    09-10-14 04:00 AM

Search? Forget it...

is it the same MR. Prem which came to my head after looking at the DP...
    09-10-14 04:02 AM
    I'm pretty much satisfied with the search function of BlackBerry. The truth is opposite for me when searching for about anything from my device using iPhone. I find it much faster and "complete" on BB10 than on iPhone.

That's just my experience using both z30 (daily driver) and iPhone (backup).

Q10 SQN100-3 | Z30 STA100-2 | 10.2.1.3247 iPhone 4s IOS 7.xx
    09-10-14 04:05 AM
    I'm pretty much satisfied with the search function of BlackBerry. The truth is opposite for me when searching for about anything from my device using iPhone. I find it much faster and "complete" on BB10 than on iPhone.

its a joke right...
    well well u can count ur seconds in clock the difference in search time and ease of use.... try to writa a name in bb and iphone and see the difference.... in search u can see d email and click on the relevant email or contact..( try searching with more than two common names..)
    i am not forcing you to take my call but dont be ignorant atleast.... even i am a bb user myself and brought all d phone it offered since 8520 days..
    09-10-14 04:09 AM

bro u r comparing the speed with a end of life iphone 4s which was launched 4 years back..... try to use some newer versions... even iphone5 a 3 yr old phone will work better than 4s mate...
    09-10-14 04:17 AM
    its a joke right...
    Nope.

09-10-14 06:37 AM

Search? Forget it...

Or you have less intellectual friends.
    mikeo007 and tabish4u like this.
    09-10-14 07:02 AM
    bro u r comparing the speed with a end of life iphone 4s which was launched 4 years back..... try to use some newer versions... even iphone5 a 3 yr old phone will work better than 4s mate...
    Not to rain on your parade Bro but yes, I did compare it with my 4s. Your title said consumer retention as well so I thought 4s was part of the "retention" or any iPhone for that matter with the same OS version.

And I would NOT actually consider the lag you were talking about as a "screw up" because in my experience, the response time from my z30 is pretty good (spotlight search/search).

Now I'm wondering, what was the time difference you got between those 2 devices and what specific devices you used to come up with your conclusion? Was it even SIGNIFICANT??? Was the BB10 device really that lagging significantly? You're stating an observation (individual/group) and I don't think it's quite scientific. Heck, I won't even consider it as very significant either.

I'm pretty sure that's not the reason why people go for iPhone instead of BlackBerry nowadays. People won't say "oh, the iPhone's spotlight search is faster by 1sec! I'm going to get that!".

We have different experiences for that matter and I was just sharing mine. What's significant is that UI and maneuverability of BB10 is far more superior and efficient (faster) than IOS. Again, that's just my opinion and based from my experience. I don't hate apple. I use it too.

09-10-14 07:13 AM
    Apple and the iPhone product line didn't get to where they are currently at because of luck, iSheep and or the fanboy crap, they are in their current position because they marketed and delivered a product that the consumer wanted, period. They don't have to make huge changes in the current product line because the consumer they marketed to, likes the simplicity and functionality of the current products. 99% of the folks I know who use the iPhone say they don't want major changes, just simple improvements. They like it the way it is because it just works, period.

Give credit to where credit is do, marketing, customer service and product build quality have been areas where Apple has shined and have delivered the products that the consumer has asked for, they don't sell 45 million devices in one quarter by luck, its called consumer demand, period.

Whats funny to me is that I remember back in the early days when Blackberry was the king on the block and folks would buy them as quick as they came off the assembly line, why!! because they delivered a product that the consumer asked for, then they found complacency and lost their of vision into to the future as to what the consumer was looking for and thats why they are in their current position.

Apple, Samsung and Microsoft are here to stay and I still believe that Blackberry can be a niche brand for the client who is looking for a solid device with good security and an operating system (OS10) which to me is the most solid messaging and business oriented platform out there. But, they need to price their products more in line to what the market will bear, not more then the current best selling products are to get folks to cross over. Just my two cents.

Sent from my lovely z30 on T-Mobile USA (10.3.0.1154)
    09-10-14 07:18 AM
    Agree in every sentence and paragraph.

09-10-14 07:32 AM
    Apple and the iPhone product line didn't get to where they are currently at because of luck, iSheep and or the fanboy crap, they are in their current position because they marketed and delivered a product that the consumer wanted, period. They don't have to make huge changes in the current product line because the consumer they marketed to, likes the simplicity and functionality of the current products. 99% of the folks I know who use the iPhone say they don't want major changes, just simple improvements. They like it the way it is because it just works, period.

Give credit to where credit is do, marketing, customer service and product build quality have been areas where Apple has shined and have delivered the products that the consumer has asked for, they don't sell 45 million devices in one quarter by luck, its called consumer demand, period.

Whats funny to me is that I remember back in the early days when Blackberry was the king on the block and folks would buy them as quick as they came off the assembly line, why!! because they delivered a product that the consumer asked for, then they found complacency and lost their of vision into to the future as to what the consumer was looking for and thats why they are in their current position.

Apple, Samsung and Microsoft are here to stay and I still believe that Blackberry can be a niche brand for the client who is looking for a solid device with good security and an operating system (OS10) which to me is the most solid messaging and business oriented platform out there. But, they need to price their products more in line to what the market will bear, not more then the current best selling products are to get folks to cross over. Just my two cents.

Well said old wise one.

Posted via Q10 with 1154
    09-10-14 07:35 AM
    I'm not an Apple fan, and while I work on Apple products all the time, I have never owned one because I don't care for the closed Apple philosophy.

Having said that, Apple's strengths aren't any secret. Spotlight Search is hardly in the Top 10 reasons why people buy Apple products - iPhones especially.

The biggest reasons are:

1. Ecosystem! More high-quality apps (even than Android, sadly), more accessories, etc. than anyone.
    2. Style/Fashion. Apple leads the industry on quality, fashionable industrial design.
    3. Customer Service. No other company is remotely close to Apple's support with their Apple Stores and genius bar, though others are finally starting to try.
    4. Walled-Garden Network Effect. With so many others already using iOS, and with Apple's own flagship apps only available on iOS, it makes others buy iOS devices to be able to "join in," much as BBM once did with BB.

Don't fool yourself - these are the areas where you have to beat Apple if you want to compete with them, and you'd better have many billions of dollars if you hope to play this game.
    bakron1 and tabish4u like this.
    09-10-14 09:26 AM
    When I used an iPhone, I never once used spotlight search. After the iPhone became my dedicated media player and game player, I still have never once used spotlight search.

If you really wanna know why Apple is atop the heap, it's pretty simple. They had "first mover" advantage and didn't blow it. They have kept their product up-to-date enough that there is simply no reason why a content user would switch platforms. They have first access to most apps because developers target their large install base. There are more 3rd party accessories because of their large install base. Most importantly, since most users are generally happy with their phones, they will recommend them to their friends. Personal recommendations are the holy grail of product marketing. I may not like Apple or their products, but it's not rocket science why they're at the top; for the average user, there isn't a good enough reason to give up the advantages that come with being in the Apple ecosystem.
    09-10-14 11:46 AM

To the point and perfectly said.... And hence there is a bit of wow factor for everyone.... Like me or my business circle spot light is most imp factor to use it efficiently and quick... For a music guy its an ipod.. For elite fashion ppl its abt class and dignity with design...
    So these tiny details are very imp aspect for every os....

Yesterday i send a txt whr i wrote meeting at 7. Tmrw at clarks... I saw a underline after sending, when i click on it it asked if u have to create a reminder... Well thats something called work to the tinest detail to create an experience.
    On the other hand in my q10 when a unknown number calls and i want to add his number i cant even copy it from hub. Even not from the browser if i wish to click on phone number and call him straight away... Yes bb10 browser can be faster but not at all efficient and usable for atleast informed buyers.
    No doubt ecosystem, apple care, marketting but yeah there is a reason for apple isheep to keep coming back and buy apple products everytime in quee... Bb also had this phenomena but unfortunatly things didnt worked out... Perfect example was how ppl flocked to download bbm when it become cross platform...

Anyways i just wish bb10 to be more into detail of user experience to be the primary phone.. And price it more competetive so that user dont has to decide bw iphone 6 or bb passport.
    09-10-14 11:50 AM
    Because apple is cool.

Hehehe
    tabish4u likes this.
    09-10-14 11:54 AM
    [QUOTE=systemvolker;10823565]Because apple is cool.
    Hehehe[/QUOTE

Ha ha... Atleast we are having a possitive discussion and all of us taking it lightly... Thats the best thing so far..... Nice.. Hehe
    09-10-14 11:58 AM
    oversimplifying a product's value proposition is part and parcel of what RIM did with iPhone and led to their downfall. With all due respect, the "reason" is "reasons" and it makes for a fun intellectual exercise but isn't an answer for much.

I'll be buying an iPhone 6� on launch day, and i'm intrigued by the method to bring unreachable-with-one-hand items down to the bottom of the screen... slap a portrait slider keyboard on it (aftermarket accessory?) and implement something like The Hub and I'd switch. Yes I would, but that's just me. If BlackBerry brings out a large screen portrait BB10 slider with tool belt before then, i'll keep my BB10 device as my daily driver... but I guess i'll have to wait for iOS 9 for an iOS "hub", so there's at least a year to go, at any rate.

Posted via CB10

p.s what'a with the markup?
    09-10-14 11:59 AM
    Regarding the universal search function in bb10 it scored pretty well in this test. I have to admit I haven't tested it on iOS.

"Take the search functionality, it truly is a universal search. A function that scans every bit of data on your phone, including browser history, e-mail and SMS conversations and much more. No other OS in our test was capable of performing these actions. In effect, the search is so effective that BlackBerry OS 10.2 walks away with scores that indicate it to be more than twice as good as Android�s implementation. Only iOS managed to come even close to BB10�s performance in this department."
    See more at - The World's Best Mobile OS | Digit.in
    09-10-14 12:00 PM
    Regarding the universal search function in bb10 it scored pretty well in this test. I have to admit I haven't tested it on iOS.

"Take the search functionality, it truly is a universal search. A function that scans every bit of data on your phone, including browser history, e-mail and SMS conversations and much more. No other OS in our test was capable of performing these actions. In effect, the search is so effective that BlackBerry OS 10.2 walks away with scores that indicate it to be more than twice as good as Android�s implementation. Only iOS managed to come even close to BB10�s performance in this department."
    See more at - The World's Best Mobile OS | Digit.in
    Bro ill try to make a video with both iphone 5 and bb q10.... There is so mich of difference bw speed and ui... Ill give u a real world example. Save 5 names with initial john and surnames diffrent. Now click d search or type. U will get only 2 names and to expand that click on the side corner. Second thing, see how much time took to get the mails from john and try to scroll and click on email to reply...
    Now same thing try to do it in iphone 5 even... Thats d difference of lag speed and ui part i was talking about.
    See android is full open soirce and filled with features and u can define ur usage but why iphone still gets quee on launch day... ? Considering its d most close os with many functionality missing in ios...
    Major thing is lack of file repository for email attachments... Its a big **** but still ios users dont care coz other things or whatever they give to consumers are quite refined.
    We have nfc in our bb10... But since now apple did it.. U can witness the adoptability en masses now....
    Anyways will try to put a video comparison of spotlight search and send the link tomorow....
    I am also a bb fanboy thats why still i carry bb10... But we as a consumers of our fav brand can point our requirements to bb... I am not into the downfall or upsurge of apple... I just wish to have d same wow factor of 2007 days when owning bb phone was exclusive and ppl just wish to have one...
    So if i am putting my money to my brand then i also expect something more better in return too...
    09-10-14 12:14 PM
    Whats funny to me is that I remember back in the early days when Blackberry was the king on the block and folks would buy them as quick as they came off the assembly line, why!! because they delivered a product that the consumer asked for, then they found complacency and lost their of vision into to the future as to what the consumer was looking for and thats why they are in their current position
    I would argue that BlackBerry has never been a consumer brand. BlackBerry made phones for business and there was no consumer-equivalent device with that kind of functionality. Consumers dragged BlackBerry into the mass market because there weren't any alternatives. Apple realized that by creating a consumer-oriented device with the features that regular folks wanted, they could easily fill a hole in the market. BlackBerry didn't react because they never intended to be a consumer device in the first place. As soon as consumers had a product designed for their market, they flocked to it.

The whole tablet vs. PC phenomenon is the same thing. Analysts incorrectly said that tablets would destroy the PC market because so many people had ditched their PCs in favor of iPads, etc.. The real shift came from people who never needed a PC in the first place, but it was the only thing available to do what they wanted (internet, email, etc). Once a device came along that met their needs, they no longer had to buy one that didn't. But that doesn't mean that tablets met everyone's needs, as some would have you believe. That's why PC sales are stabilizing.

In reality, what Apple is really good at is identifying targeted market segments that people THINK already have their needs met, when in reality, they are ripe for the picking (figured I'd toss in an Apple pun there lol)
    Thunderbuck and tabish4u like this.
    09-10-14 12:22 PM
    Jst tried out the search on ma Q10 and it's Jst as fast and fluid as anything cud.....
    The bb10 still has som tiny details to finetune bt even at present it can hold it's own against any OS out there.....the only draw back is it's ecosystem.....pretty sure this will b history in 5years time.......

Posted via CB10
    09-10-14 12:24 PM
    I would argue that BlackBerry has never been a consumer brand. BlackBerry made phones for business and there was no consumer-equivalent device with that kind of functionality. Consumers dragged BlackBerry into the mass market because there weren't any alternatives. Apple realized that by creating a consumer-oriented device with the features that regular folks wanted, they could easily fill a hole in the market. BlackBerry didn't react because they never intended to be a consumer device in the first place. As soon as consumers had a product designed for their market, they flocked to it.

The whole tablet vs. PC phenomenon is the same thing. Analysts incorrectly said that tablets would destroy the PC market because so many people had ditched their PCs in favor of iPads, etc.. The real shift came from people who never needed a PC in the first place, but it was the only thing available to do what they wanted (internet, email, etc). Once a device came along that met their needs, they no longer had to buy one that didn't. But that doesn't mean that tablets met everyone's needs, as some would have you believe. That's why PC sales are stabilizing.

In reality, what Apple is really good at is identifying targeted market segments that people THINK already have their needs met, when in reality, they are ripe for the picking (figured I'd toss in an Apple pun there lol)
    Bro i must confess u nailed it right too.... To the point and perfect analysis... True indeed... Even at their peak bb never sold more tha 14-15 mill devices per quarter... Where as apple still overtaking its 45mill phones numbers every time they launch an iphone....
    This analysis is intresting too... Well informed one indeed...
    09-10-14 12:27 PM
    Bro ill try to make a video with both iphone 5 and bb q10.... There is so mich of difference bw speed and ui...
    Thanks! That would be interesting, looking forward to it.
    09-10-14 12:31 PM
27 12