09-03-11 06:30 PM
    Pretty much sums it up in that article
    09-03-11 06:45 PM
    A lot of business/sales guys use an iPad

Sent from my ADR6300 using Tapatalk
    09-03-11 06:50 PM
    Advertising and brand recognition. That is all.

Sent from my NookColor using Tapatalk
    09-03-11 07:06 PM
    Advertising and brand recognition. That is all.

Sent from my NookColor using Tapatalk
    Yeah, most of the benefits of using an iPad has been available on other tablets for years now. The biggest factor, of course, was price point.

There are still (now) plenty of other tablets out there that arguably do the same if not better tasks as the iPad. I think it boils down though to (as you've stated) brand, design, and ads, which leads to developer support which leads to massive amounts of apps which leads to people wanting the iPad.
    09-03-11 11:50 PM
    It weighs less than a morning paper........
    It is big enough to be seen clearly without passing the TOO big threshold .......
    I charge it so rarely that I don't remember when I charged it last.......
    It has never ( yes NEVER) crashed on me......
    It does 95% of what the pc in my office does (for my particular use)......

I'm no fan of the way apple does business but their stuff works.
    None if this is marketing or brand awareness. It's the facts. :-)

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    09-04-11 01:00 PM
    For anyone thinking the government isn't using them; I work for the government and know for a fact that Agencies are buying them for their senior level directors. It is an awesome piece of technology. I just recently upgraded to the iPad 2 from the original version. Love it!!
    Last edited by sallenthornton; 09-04-11 at 11:52 PM.
    lssanjose likes this.
    09-04-11 01:24 PM
    It is big enough to be seen clearly without passing the TOO big threshold .......

Please, it's all marketing and brand awareness.

Again, they've made light, portable tablets in the past. They've made them in plenty of sizes (5" to 15"). They got a range of battery life depending on many, many factors.

At the time, they all did 100% of PC functions because they were personal computers at the core; unfortunately that did mean the Windows issues that came with it...on the opposite end, I rarely have Windows crash on me to begin with, so mileage again varies.

My point still stands: there have been plenty of tablets before the iPad that offered the same (if not more) advantages that the iPad claims to offer.

The difference being is that while manufacturers tried to scale a desktop into a small tablet, Apple went primarily the other way: after redesigning OSX for a phone, they upscaled to a tablet size and went from there. Between that transition (meaning a more simplistic way of computing whether that is good or bad) to the price point to being the first one to set this now-standard (along with brand recognition from their iPhone success), you have the iPad success.

Plain and simple marketing strategy coupled with a different approach to the tablet space equaling the success they are seeing. But most of the "benefits" of the iPad have been around for years or are better elsewhere...
    09-04-11 08:10 PM

Here's my take, it's okay, and I'm probably getting a playbook for comparision.

- My ipad weighs a ton with the folio case plus keyboard so I can type on the darn thing. Without the keyboard, error rate is about every other word.

- I agree screen size is very nice, and it's a smooth device. However mobile safari stinks.

- It does 5% of what my office pc does and 50% of what I use my laptop for. Remote desktop the way I use it is not useable on an ipad, except in an emergency.

- It crashes on me with the same frequency as my blackberry to require a reset. Stuff just stops working. About once a month for whatever random reason.

- It can go days between charges, provided I kill apps and turn on airplane mode. If I leave stuff "running" I have to charge it once a day.

- Oh the size is great, but the heft still bothers me. My biggest use is casual surfing before I hit the hay, to wind down the day. I use to use my laptop, but now I use the ipad.

- It's a nice piece of equipment, but if Android plugs their holes and their image, ipad/playbook watch out.
    lssanjose likes this.
    09-04-11 08:59 PM
    Here's my take, it's okay, and I'm probably getting a playbook for comparision.

- My ipad weighs a ton with the folio case plus keyboard so I can type on the darn thing. Without the keyboard, error rate is about every other word.

- I agree screen size is very nice, and it's a smooth device. However mobile safari stinks.

- It does 5% of what my office pc does and 50% of what I use my laptop for. Remote desktop the way I use it is not useable on an ipad, except in an emergency.

- It crashes on me with the same frequency as my blackberry to require a reset. Stuff just stops working. About once a month for whatever random reason.

- It can go days between charges, provided I kill apps and turn on airplane mode. If I leave stuff "running" I have to charge it once a day.

- Oh the size is great, but the heft still bothers me. My biggest use is casual surfing before I hit the hay, to wind down the day. I use to use my laptop, but now I use the ipad.

- It's a nice piece of equipment, but if Android plugs their holes and their image, ipad/playbook watch out.
    just one point..... I got a playbook. used it maybe 5 times. it's sitting on my desk.

09-04-11 10:48 PM
    just one point..... I got a playbook. used it maybe 5 times. it's sitting on my desk.

I like the big screen of the iPad, but its not exactly my choice for a go to device during the day. The playbook is.
    09-05-11 10:02 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD