I just got the 3G last weekend it replaced my 8800. The 3G is a very cool peace but it think it is more of a toy then a business tool. Here is my list of complaints.

1) Only Push email if you have Exchange, Yahoo, or ME. I have 5 personal and business email accounts on my phone 3 from Gmail and 2 from Godaddy. None of them support Push but I everything worked perfect on the 8800. I have them set to fetch every 15 min but it doesn't work I have to go into each account to check if I have mail which is not very productive. Also I have had to reset my network connections 3 times in 6 days.

2) Battery life is so bad. I had 3G on with a full charge with my phone in my gym bag and with in 4 hours the battery was below 20%. I would at least get full day with 8800.

3) NO cut and past.

4) One ring tone for all of my email. With the 8800 I set different ringers for each email account so I could tell if the email was personal or business with out having to look at my phone. Can't do it on the 3G but it doesn't matter because I don't have Push.

3) Can't search messages.... I have 1000 emails on my phone and I cant search for one. I miss this so much.

4) No profiles. I hate going into the setup to turn wifi on and turn 3g off every time.

5) You can't invite people to meetings. Once again I miss this so much.

6) Alarms. I used my 8800 for my alarm in the morning and it worked great but the iPhone sucks so bad at this. With the 8800 I could turn the phone off (so I didn't get awakened buy email or phone calls) and the alarm would turn the phone on and turn the alarm on. Nope not the iphone you have to leave the phone on so now if some one calls or texts it wakes me up. So I tried to turn off the ringer and guess what it turns off the ringer for the alarm.

7) Can't install iTunes on my one computer. I get a error "(Bonjour Service) failed to start. Verify that you have sufficient privileges to start system services." every time I try to install iTunes and no knows how to fix this.

The best part of the Iphone is the Browser and the Apps everything else needs some work.

If anyone knows how to rectify any of my complaints please feel free to help other wise I am taking it back and getting the Bold.
    Last edited by thewireguys; 07-24-08 at 12:20 AM.
    07-24-08 12:11 AM
    Yay!! Welcome back!!!

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    07-24-08 12:26 AM
    Jailbreak it...

1... Easy fix. Open a Yahoo account and have your filters set to forward those emails to your Yahoo! account to have push.

2... Well the battery life on the 2g iPhone is better than the 8800. It's the 3g, just turn it off.

3... I believe can be addressed by jailbreaking.

4... Your 8800 doesn't have 3g, so why is this an issue that reverts you back to the 8800? How about keeping it off at all times just like your 8800 has.

5... I guess this may be a cool feature, not enough for me to revert back.

6... Turn wireless off?

7... It's already letting you know it's your privileges that are set on that PC. Try installing in safe mode or as Administrator. Does that PC have XP, Vista or Other? (Please state other.)

This device may not be for you... Welcome back!

07-24-08 12:42 AM
    Sorry to hear your first post being what it is...

Welcome?
    07-24-08 12:47 AM
    Welcome back!!!!

07-24-08 12:55 AM
    Welcome back!!! Won't hold leaving against you. Lol.

07-24-08 02:02 AM
    Woohoo! Glad to have you back!
    07-24-08 08:13 AM
    I took mine back! I tried leaving my Curve but here are my reasons the iPhone went back.... Keep in mind with the iPhone I was paying about $40 more a month than with my BB Curve. So, it was hard to justify!

1. I really need an IM app that stayed open all the time like my JiveTalk BeeJive or whatever. Jayden says it's coming but I didn't want to hold on to hope and be locked into At&t's horrible customer service if this never comes thru.

2. E-mail. I too set it to check every 15 mins. but that hardly happened on it's own. I would have to tell it to check. In the short time that I had it, the e-mail fetching would get stuck and the hourglass or circle would run forever. I didn't reset the settings, I just turned the phone off and restarted it and that solved the problem. New battery pull?

3. Battery Life. It makes me nervous that after 5 hours from disconnecting it with a full charge my battery was half drained and my 3G was never turned on. I took a couple pics and did a little bit of surfing. Can't carry a spare battery and kinda ridiculous carrying the charger around with me all the time. I am a manager and a dad so that def made me nervous!

When I returned it the Apple store the rep asked why? (Battery) He pulls out a card and says... well to preserve battery life you should...
    a.) Turn off 3G when not in use
    b.) Turn off wifi when not in use
    c.) Turn off bluetooth when not in use
    d.) Turn off GPS when not in use
    e.) If you're in an area with NO service (At&t network) to Turn off the phone
    f.) Turn off e-mail and multiple e-mail accounts when not in use (He was puzzled as to why it said this one)
    I told him you might as well turn off the phone when not in use.

4. While Crazetoon showed us how to create ringtones... we're only able to set for incoming calls and the alarm.

5. I miss my LED light

6. Miss my Password Keeper. I know I could shell out $10 for SplashID.

7. Did wish cut and paste was there a couple of times.

8. When I was connected wifi YouTube vids were nice and normal to watch. When you try watching the same video over Edge or 3G is was soo pixelated.

What I liked about the iPhone...
    - Best browser!!!
    - Apps like MySpace.com, Movie tracker were nice to use
    - GPS and Google Maps
    - I found myself typing just as fast on it
    - User interface, display etc....
    But to pay $40 extra a month compared to what the Curve could do...???
    Again I tried leaving....
    Last edited by chynnamann; 07-24-08 at 09:29 AM.
    07-24-08 09:20 AM
    I just got the 3G last weekend it replaced my 8800. The 3G is a very cool peace but it think it is more of a toy then a business tool. Here is my list of complaints.

1) Only Push email if you have Exchange, Yahoo, or ME. I have 5 personal and business email accounts on my phone 3 from Gmail and 2 from Godaddy. None of them support Push but I everything worked perfect on the 8800. I have them set to fetch every 15 min but it doesn't work I have to go into each account to check if I have mail which is not very productive. Also I have had to reset my network connections 3 times in 6 days.

2) Battery life is so bad. I had 3G on with a full charge with my phone in my gym bag and with in 4 hours the battery was below 20%. I would at least get full day with 8800.

3) NO cut and past.

4) One ring tone for all of my email. With the 8800 I set different ringers for each email account so I could tell if the email was personal or business with out having to look at my phone. Can't do it on the 3G but it doesn't matter because I don't have Push.

3) Can't search messages.... I have 1000 emails on my phone and I cant search for one. I miss this so much.

4) No profiles. I hate going into the setup to turn wifi on and turn 3g off every time.

5) You can't invite people to meetings. Once again I miss this so much.

6) Alarms. I used my 8800 for my alarm in the morning and it worked great but the iPhone sucks so bad at this. With the 8800 I could turn the phone off (so I didn't get awakened buy email or phone calls) and the alarm would turn the phone on and turn the alarm on. Nope not the iphone you have to leave the phone on so now if some one calls or texts it wakes me up. So I tried to turn off the ringer and guess what it turns off the ringer for the alarm.

7) Can't install iTunes on my one computer. I get a error "(Bonjour Service) failed to start. Verify that you have sufficient privileges to start system services." every time I try to install iTunes and no knows how to fix this.

The best part of the Iphone is the Browser and the Apps everything else needs some work.

If anyone knows how to rectify any of my complaints please feel free to help other wise I am taking it back and getting the Bold.
    So did you research the phone before you got it? or did you fall for the hype?
    07-24-08 11:18 AM
    *Off Topic* But what is funny to me is that today I went into AT&T to get an iPhone and all the sales rep were bashing on the iPhone, in how much it sucks and all the issues the customers are having with it... The guy also told me to wait a bit because a new BB was coming soon, *cough* BOLD *cough* and since he played with it for a week, he said it was so smooth... Well enough of that. Just found it halirious since a couple days ago I read about a AT&T Manager printing out fliers of ten reasons why the iPhone sucked. And no I'm not bashing on the iPhone or hate it, I have one myself and love it but I can face some fact's.
    07-24-08 09:58 PM
    So did you research the phone before you got it? or did you fall for the hype?

Very true... most of those bullets can be easily found with research.
    07-25-08 08:48 AM
    I pretty much agree with most of chynnamann's post. You pretty much need to power the device off when not in use to have a halfway decent battery life.

As far as doing research, I did and read lots of great things about new and improved battery life which turned out to be false....unless you power the iphone off when not in use...

i miss Jivetalk the most
    08-01-08 08:04 PM
    Jailbrake! Well aint that about nothin'?
    Why should someone have to jailbrake it just to use it as they need to? Out the box this phone was supposed to be ultra fabulous and yet Jayden the iPhone 3G crusader says, "jailbrake" it.

Seriously Jay, with all the hype surrounding 3G, it should be able to cook a meal and give driving directions all at the same time!

Have you jailbroke yours yet? Come on.... be truthful!!

Jailbreak it...

1... Easy fix. Open a Yahoo account and have your filters set to forward those emails to your Yahoo! account to have push.

2... Well the battery life on the 2g iPhone is better than the 8800. It's the 3g, just turn it off.

3... I believe can be addressed by jailbreaking.

4... Your 8800 doesn't have 3g, so why is this an issue that reverts you back to the 8800? How about keeping it off at all times just like your 8800 has.

5... I guess this may be a cool feature, not enough for me to revert back.

6... Turn wireless off?

7... It's already letting you know it's your privileges that are set on that PC. Try installing in safe mode or as Administrator. Does that PC have XP, Vista or Other? (Please state other.)

This device may not be for you... Welcome back!

08-01-08 08:34 PM
    I ended up returning my iphone today and went back with the Curve. The battery life (or lack thereof) and the keyboard were the main issues, although there were other minor ones as well.

I'm not saying it's a bad phone...just didn't suit my personal needs/wants.
    08-01-08 09:00 PM
    before i start please no iphone hate mail!!! lol but i think apple even with their computer try and be so different that to me it sometimes becomes annoying. after hearing of so many people returning their iphones here on cb and also at work i know believe the iphone is just like i read on another post "A IPOD ON STEROIDS" i believe it is simply for little kids not for the buisness or more mature person. the iphone is something i would get my daughter not myself. but this is just my personal thoughts. NO HATEMAIL PLEASE IPHONERS.....
    08-01-08 09:46 PM
    Jailbrake! Well aint that about nothin'?
    Why should someone have to jailbrake it just to use it as they need to? Out the box this phone was supposed to be ultra fabulous and yet Jayden the iPhone 3G crusader says, "jailbrake" it.

Seriously Jay, with all the hype surrounding 3G, it should be able to cook a meal and give driving directions all at the same time!

Have you jailbroke yours yet? Come on.... be truthful!!

For the same reasons everyone Optimizes their BBs. For the same reason everyone is downloading the 4.5 even though it has yet to be released in the U.S. officially.

No I have not jailbroken mine. I don't need those things.

Also if you read further, you will see "This device may not be for you... Welcome back!"

He asked a question and so I stick to answering him. It really doesn't bother me on which route he chooses.
    08-01-08 11:39 PM
    Doesn't jailbreaking it void the warranty? I may be mistaken but that's what I read. It's one issue that's kept me from jailbreaking my Touch (that and alot of people don't want to buy a used Touch if it's been jailbroken ... jailbroke ... er ... jailbreaked?).
    08-02-08 10:51 AM
    Okay I will ask the stupid noob question...what is jailbreaking? Lol

08-02-08 11:17 AM
    Doesn't jailbreaking it void the warranty? I may be mistaken but that's what I read. It's one issue that's kept me from jailbreaking my Touch (that and alot of people don't want to buy a used Touch if it's been jailbroken ... jailbroke ... er ... jailbreaked?).
    It does. There are ways to stop Apple from detecting that, but I've never read into jailbreaking too much. Funny thing (even though I don't/won't jailbreak my iPhone 3g) is that the Genius did not even check for anything after I told him I work for AT&T and did all possible troubleshooting.
    08-02-08 11:57 AM
    I haven't jailbroken my Touch either, but I never had an issue with what it can and can't do.

And if I never read "iPhones are for kids, BB is for adults/businessmen" again it will be too soon, especially since I saw about 90% of teens in Toronto over the last few days with BB Curves.

Businessmen indeed.

It's just another elitest argument in a long line of stupid elitest arguments.
    08-02-08 10:55 PM
    My non 3G iPhone sits on my desk collecting dust
    08-02-08 11:00 PM
    Yes, we have heard that before. Many times. Repeatedly.
    08-02-08 11:02 PM
    Yes, we have heard that before. Many times. Repeatedly.

On every iPhone thread... hehe
    08-02-08 11:04 PM
    If I ever see it in a thread at the Apple Support forums, I will have to wonder who is snooping around Apple's website...*giggle*
    08-02-08 11:06 PM
    Apple should stick to ipods. Iphone is not for the power user or the business user. RIM has that market covered. The coolest thing about the iphone is the browser and the screen. The simple features that have been around for years that iphone cant do is enough to keep me away, hearing stories from my friends about battery life and reception and all of these stories is enough to make me forget about it fast. Why is mobileme 99$ a year? They are crazY!

Jayden sure does love him some iphone though!!! I bet you will be getting the bold in a month or so when at&t gets it.

tmobile with 3g is gonna drop at&t like its hot
    08-03-08 02:44 PM
74 123
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD