why would the iphone 4 show less signal then lets say the BB Bold 9700? I am sitting in the same spots and do the same things just about everyday and the signal strength, at least what's shown on the phone a good two bars less....as for movies or call quality ect...everything actually seems a touch better...i'm wondering if the signal the BB was showing was an exaggeration or actual signal...

what do u all think? and also would a otter box affect the signal at all? being it's thick ect.?
    10-19-10 07:43 PM
    Try out Field Test mode. I don't know if the 9000 has it, but on i4, dial *3001#12345#*

It will tell you in dB what your signal strength is. Bars are different between manufacturers and there's no set standards.
    10-19-10 07:49 PM
    No the thickness of the case won't effect your signal. At least my otterbox hasn't.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    10-19-10 07:53 PM
    every brand has it's own antennae, some buy from other manufacturers, some manufacture their own, same goes for processors. not sure which part is in each phone, but that would explain the difference. it also has to do with placement of the antennae, as well as case shape around it, case material, interference from surrounding parts, etc... most stuff is tested and produced to an industry/company standard, but with the iphone4, especially, this part of the device was developed poorly. it's a common and well known issue, addressed and disgustingly dismissed by Jobs, with a permission giving excuse that if you slap a case on it, you'll be good to go. the problem was present in about 1/4 of the iphone4 initial production run, not sure if it persists, among other things that have since been fixed. it's not untypical in this world that these kinds of things happen, and it's always disappointing to be one of the unfortunate few who wind up with one, but quality control isn't perfection.
    10-19-10 07:54 PM
    every brand has it's own antennae, some buy from other manufacturers, some manufacture their own, same goes for processors. not sure which part is in each phone, but that would explain the difference. it also has to do with placement of the antennae, as well as case shape around it, case material, interference from surrounding parts, etc... most stuff is tested and produced to an industry/company standard, but with the iphone4, especially, this part of the device was developed poorly. it's a common and well known issue, addressed and disgustingly dismissed by Jobs, with a permission giving excuse that if you slap a case on it, you'll be good to go. the problem was present in about 1/4 of the iphone4 initial production run, not sure if it persists, among other things that have since been fixed. it's not untypical in this world that these kinds of things happen, and it's always disappointing to be one of the unfortunate few who wind up with one, but quality control isn't perfection.
    Oh please. You're making up stuff and stating them as fact. 1/4 iPhone 4's have his problem? Give me a break.
    10-19-10 08:01 PM
    Yea I would like to see this 1/4 poll. I'm not saying your lying just want to see your proof.
    10-19-10 08:03 PM
    Not 1/4 overall, just the original production run. Basically a quarter of folk on the waiting list got stuck with them, but that's just a recollected memory. Honestly, I can't recall if I read or heard this, but do remember it being a credible source, or at least a source supposed to be held accountable for such statements. I'm not a "believe everything I hear/read/see" type of person, by any standard, but in combination with it being a big enough problem that Jobs had to address it as an issue, I'm confident that 1/4 is anywhere from reasonably accurate to putting it mildly. I'm not a hater at all, don't confuse me for that, I have a 3gs myself and love aspects of the device, but neither am I a fanboi, of anything. I'm perpetually and severely disappointed with the cellphones being produced, where there's so much potential for perfection everyone produces mediocrity, to put it kindly. I understand that it's smart business to leave room for further improvements, but that doesn't mean that I have to respect or like it. I guess I should add my new iPhone to the list above, that might help to calm the carrying of these types of comments.

Edit: Tried to find something to support my statement, but I'm pretty sure it was something I heard in a news report on television. Seriously though guys, is it really that hard to believe. Let's not let the love blind us, ignorance is bliss until you display it pridefully.
    Last edited by BeyondTheBox; 10-19-10 at 08:40 PM.
    10-19-10 08:30 PM
    I think BBs have a better antennae to begin with. I have never had as good of reception with any other device like my BB. Never been able to get -68 dbm on any phone but my Bold.

10-21-10 07:40 PM
    I think BBs have a better antennae to begin with. I have never had as good of reception with any other device like my BB. Never been able to get -68 dbm on any phone but my Bold.

I found over the years that Blackberries and Motorolas tend to have the best reception.
    10-21-10 11:17 PM
    I found over the years that Blackberries and Motorolas tend to have the best reception.
    Which explains the SAR (radiation) levels being through the roof.
    lol

that is--until now, until my trusty 9800. It's even lower than my iphone4's.
    most people don't care about that stuff, just saying, that's all...

10-22-10 04:01 AM
    I doubt it is 1/4, but every iPhone 4 I have touched I am able to drop the signal to searching or at least drop to 1 bar. My friend went through 4 iPhone 4s and each one did it so he finally gave up returning it and just uses a bumper. He really loves the device.
    10-22-10 02:34 PM
    The only thing I have to say about this ^^^^ and AVT123 as a former iPhone advocate yourself sales talk. If it were that bad of a problem Apple's profits wouldnt be running the board in the tech world. And that's in large part due to the 14 million iPhones sold thus far. I have to stand by Steve in saying it really isn't and wasn't a big deal.
    10-22-10 02:52 PM
    Agreed. My Motorola Droid 2 got much better reception than my dad's 9630 Tour when we were in Mexico a couple weeks ago. My brother and sister kept telling me that they could hear me crystal clear, but could hardly hear my dad as his phone kept cutting out...
    10-22-10 02:57 PM
    ^ + 1 when it comes to Phone function.. as in PHONE being able to send/receive/hold a call.. you won't go wrong with a motorola or a blackberry.
    10-22-10 03:01 PM
    The only thing I have to say about this ^^^^ and AVT123 as a former iPhone advocate yourself sales talk. If it were that bad of a problem Apple's profits wouldnt be running the board in the tech world. And that's in large part due to the 14 million iPhones sold thus far. I have to stand by Steve in saying it really isn't and wasn't a big deal.
    Sales do talk, but I will say with iPhone owners, it is a different story. Everyone bitches at Apple/AT&T for having so many dropped calls on their iPhones. The press noted this, every tech blog noted this, and people in general were talking about it, yet people kept/keep buying the iPhone in masses. I myself never had any problems with my iPhone besides a few dropped calls here and there, but I know PLENTY of people who drop multiple calls a day and do not care because they have "The iPhone". I will say I never dropped any calls on my 9000/9700.

I really feel a lot of problems that Apple devices have (and there aren't many), people seem to not care because of the title of device they own.

Also, I take what Steve says with a grain of salt. After his "hold it a different way" comment he really pissed me off. It was a classic response, but me being lefty, I would have dropped calls EVERY call if I owned an iPhone 4. And I know this because every iPhone 4 I have used I can drop the signal to searching or 1 bar. I have a lot of respect for the man and love his products, but sometimes his arrogance is a little overboard, and the only people who don't recognize this is Apple fanboys (who are probably just as arrogant).

That being said I still think the iPhone is a great device (like I said I owned them and loved mine). It will continue to sell well and alway be the device every other smartphone is compared to. But I will say, in many ways, that "Evo vs. iPhone" youtube video brings a lot of the points I made to life.
    10-22-10 03:30 PM
    ^ + 1 when it comes to Phone function.. as in PHONE being able to send/receive/hold a call.. you won't go wrong with a motorola or a blackberry.
    I can agree with this. Motorola devices have always given me the best signal and strength out of any other manufacturer. RIM is a close second, and my iPhone 3GS was great as well.
    10-22-10 03:31 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD