When I'm texting another iPhone user on iOS 5, I've noticed that it switches from iMeesage to a regular text message sometimes.

Does anyone know why it switches?
    11-11-11 08:42 PM
    Coverage. If it can send via iMessage it will but it uses SMS as a backup for any signal issues. I had this happen a few times, it is meant to work that way. You can toggle this in settings to not switch to SMS but it acting normally.
    11-11-11 09:56 PM
    Coverage. If it can send via iMessage it will but it uses SMS as a backup for any signal issues. I had this happen a few times, it is meant to work that way. You can toggle this in settings to not switch to SMS but it acting normally.
    That's what I thought. The weird thing is that my conversions to regular SMS happens when I've got like 4 bars of signal with VZW.

Also, if I toggle that switch to not switch to SMS, am I still able to send SMS to non-iPhone users? Is that setting only relevant for iOS5/non-iOS5 users?
    11-11-11 10:44 PM
    It may not be your phone with the bad signal. The other phone might be in a bad area and the system is not seeing the recipient as an Iphone.
    11-11-11 10:51 PM
    Good point, Engire. I didn't even consider that. It makes more sense about the other party.
    11-12-11 07:17 AM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD