I have an employee discount for apple through my company and get an get a 32 gb wifi/3G apple ipad 2 for $700 but they sell on ebay upwards of $1000...
    Why?...what's to keep me from buying and selling for a $200+ profit?

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    04-13-11 12:07 AM
    I have an employee discount for apple through my company and get an get a 32 gb wifi/3G apple ipad 2 for $700 but they sell on ebay upwards of $1000...
    Why?...what's to keep me from buying and selling for a $200+ profit?

Are you seeing them sell for that much? Or are they posted for sale at price?
    04-13-11 12:22 AM
    Look on ebay...
    Most have 30+ bids for that much

04-13-11 01:01 AM
    Nothing can stop you from doing that. Most of the persons that are willing to pay much more than retail are those that live in other countries where the iPad either isn't available or sold out. So it depends on the countries but with exchange rates a person in the UK may be willing to pay a couple hundred dollars more since their currency exchange is strong against the dollar.

So for instance if the iPad costs them 600GBP, that equals 977.40 dollars based on the current exchange rate of 1.6292 (pounds to dollars). So for them paying 1000 dollars, that's not much more then they would pay if it were available to them where they live.

When the iPhone 4 dropped last year on AT&T, I bought the 32GB for 300 and immediately sold it for 800. So nothing is keeping you from making the profit. When you have access to an item that is as hot as the iPad 2 and people all over the world want one you can make some big money. And people can have a wide variety of reasons of why they are willing to spend that much. My example above is just one reason.
    04-13-11 10:53 AM
    Hhyeah you hit the nail on the head there. I forgot it wasn't available in a lot of places. Id hate to have to ship internationally but paypal and ebay are very good with seller security

04-13-11 03:11 PM
    Hhyeah you hit the nail on the head there. I forgot it wasn't available in a lot of places. Id hate to have to ship internationally but paypal and ebay are very good with seller security

Yeah as long as the seller is reputable and make makes an instant payment and not one of those eChecks you should be find. My iPhone when to some dude in Russia, but he had great feedback and nice history on eBay so I wasn't worried. I don't know what your experience is selling on eBay but if that's what you decide to do you can always set parameters as far as feedback ratings required for anyone to bid or purchase it that way you can be less worried by dealing with someone who has history and feedback that shows they are legit.
    04-13-11 04:12 PM
    Definitely, I always set it to where I don't allow bids from people with poor feedback.
    If it works out the first time ill definitely keep doing it.

04-13-11 10:42 PM
    When I sell stuff on eBay, I make buyer restrictions (it's under options). Like if they have a bad rep, first time buyers, or someone with an open case, etc.
    04-14-11 09:37 AM
    I recall seeing the fools bidding up the rights of prior vz owners for the iphone.

04-15-11 03:35 AM
    I just sold an iPhone 3G on eBay and the woman didn't pay. She bid on 3 phones and took the cheapest of the 3. I know this because 1 person gave her good feedback for prompt payment and another gave her good feedback with a message asking for payment or to contact the seller (??). I didn't ship it, of course, but I'm trying to get my "final value" fee back. 9% + on high price items.

There are tons of auctions where the listing says not to bother bidding if you have zero feedback. Lots of scammers out there. Beware and def. use buyer restrictions.
    04-15-11 03:23 PM
    It is such a fickle market and the $200 profit is usually not real. Lots of people just place fake bids on those items and never pay. You could expect a slight profit, but after all is said and done, you rarely do better than break even.
    04-16-11 02:33 AM
    It is such a fickle market and the $200 profit is usually not real. Lots of people just place fake bids on those items and never pay. You could expect a slight profit, but after all is said and done, you rarely do better than break even.
    Please don't blanket the entire world with your comments. I've sold plenty of iPhones and 3 iPads on eBay all for a significant profit and NEVER had a problem with a person not paying. The only issues I have ever encountered with those not paying on other items I've sold, they always contact me and said they could no longer afford to buy the item and transaction canceled and got my FV fees back. A person can easily avoid fake bids but making sure they have buyer restrictions as well as requiring immediate payment when someone uses "buy it now" so a person can't "buy" the item without actually paying for it. But when you say "you rarely do better than break even", that's a pretty bold statement because that assumes everyone gets their hands on items at the same prices and that's certainly not true.
    04-18-11 11:10 AM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD