There are Android devices in development with better hardware than the PlayBook has and any other tablet.
    Screen Size.. Speaker Size.. Camera Optics..Hardware..

There is no replacement for displacement. Always an extra cost (performance and price) for miniaturization.

I look at my options. Upgrade to an iPh4 or keep the Tour and buy a Playbook.
    I'm seriously gonna look at the 2nd option once I see the Playbook in action.

And like I said...just an option for the OP to consider.
    11-28-10 02:36 PM
    Screen Size.. Speaker Size.. Camera Optics..Hardware..

There is no replacement for displacement. Always an extra cost (performance and price) for miniaturization.

I look at my options. Upgrade to an iPh4 or keep the Tour and buy a Playbook.
    I'm seriously gonna look at the 2nd option once I see the Playbook in action.

And like I said...just an option for the OP to consider.
    Yea it's a good option, I'm just saying by the time the PB comes out, there will be smartphones with better specs. They will make the PB look like it should have been released last year (spec-wise).
    11-28-10 05:42 PM
    I guess, its a little early to evaluate the specs of something no one has put their hands on.

You can look at a x MP camera on paper all you want but we all know MP doesnt determine quality of the photo. Same with the processor, there are some phones running 800mhz putting out better benchmarks than certain 1ghz ones.

Specs on paper are nothing more than that. Its the whole package that makes it work or not work, including the weight of the OS put on that hardware.
    11-28-10 06:13 PM
    I guess, its a little early to evaluate the specs of something no one has put their hands on.

You can look at a x MP camera on paper all you want but we all know MP doesnt determine quality of the photo.
    Agreed

The mega pixel race is too funny. Higher pixel density with increased noise and file size. Not sure if you noticed but I had said camera optics and not mp's. My plan was to buy a 2nd gen iPad in a 7" configuration but since Steve dissed that format I'm looking elsewhere.
    11-28-10 07:14 PM
    I picked the iPhone due to a number of reasons, one being superior hardware. I have seen the EVO, Droid X, Incredible and many of the other 100 Android phones out there and the hardware does not compare. Speaking of other 100 Android phones, fragmentation is another big turnoff, some people are fine with it... I don't want to deal with it. I have used a Droid, Incredible and was not impressed to say the least. Yes, those are older phones but Android reminds me of windows too much and that's a big turn off.
    Overall Android is pretty decent to me, but iOS feels superior. Apple does not introduce technology but innovate, many others seem to follow. I can almost guarantee you would not see an Android phone had it not be for the iPhone, that kind of forward and future thinking cannot be bought.
    AT&T has been rock solid where I live, maybe one drop call every 4-5 months and speeds Verizon, T-Mobile and Sprint can only dream of (5+Mbps on 3G). In the end it's all about preference, if smartphone design and aesthetics were a beauty contest the iPhone 4 would win hands down. I for one am done with the great craptastic devices from HTC and really Motorola, again it's just personal preference.
    I don't think you could lose out with whatever you choose, iPhone raised the bar and many have followed, it's a win win situation for everyone.
    Remember one thing, people on here are the minority, they are techie, customizing, jailbreaking freaks. Most of the US population is not, they want a simple working solid device.
    I'd like to add people here get bored so they switch constantly, that's fine but not the majority.
    Last edited by Entertainment72; 11-29-10 at 10:53 AM.
    11-28-10 10:05 PM
    simplicity, widespread availability productive apps as well as entertainment. Prettiest looking phone in the market..
    11-29-10 02:05 AM
    I run ten widgets that integrate me into my life. iPhone has nothing...
    11-29-10 02:17 AM
    You will enjoy Android man. I haven't missed any other platform since making the switch.
    yeah right, you miss the iPhone.....
    11-29-10 02:18 AM
    Right now i am on a bberry but have tried most of all android phones and of course iphone. I am choosing iphone, on VZ i hope because i really like how simple yet stylish/well put together everything about the phone is. Android is a great platform and the widgets are great but there were times when i forced myself to use them, i felt bad for not using all the seven screens and all the capabilities of the phone.

I don;t want to be glued to my device and i think iphone just lets me be more free of looking at it as often. So as you can see, it's all about the experience for me rather than specs.
    11-29-10 08:42 AM
    yeah right, you miss the iPhone.....
    I am deeply insulted by this post.

11-29-10 11:59 AM
    Holding out for the Playbook is a interesting option that I have considered. As a previous poster mentioned, I am concerned that by the time its released the specs may be somewhat outdated.
    11-29-10 09:58 PM
    I plan on leaving bb and am having trouble picking between a android phone and iphone. I'm curious as to why you decided to go iphone. I'm hopping that hearing from you will help me to choose.
    I will tend to pick the iPhone over the Android due to the smoothness of iOS over Android. Also the quality of Apps in the Apple app store, and of course the gaming experience the iPhone offers that Android doesn't, but that's a new thing for me playing games on my phone. I never realized all the major game makers have iPhone apps EA Sports is my favorite among others. Also the production apps are second to none and iBooks is great a well. Android will be there soon, the major app makers for the iPhone platform are beginning to cross over and I'm loving it for my Evo's big screen they look amazing. Android also has those apps you would have to jailbreak your iPhone for which I don't do anymore. Like Tubemate for instance which allows young download YouTube videos straight to your phone. You can't get cool apps like that on the iPhone due to their rules and regulations.

So in conclusion once the Android becomes a bit smoother of a platform and a more organized app store I'll be on board to choose it over iOS easily but for now I'm still going to go with what I believe is a cleaner overall platform, and the more robust, and organized App Store.
    Last edited by CrackberryBrandon; 11-30-10 at 05:29 AM.
    11-30-10 05:21 AM
    Because I Own an Apple desktop & Laptop and I'm very satisfied with their products.
    And they finally added multitasking & excellent battery life to the iPhone.

No regrets.
    11-30-10 08:27 AM
    More or less, those are similar reasons why I chose Android - definite Linux support since it's what I run these days. People might not like the fractured nature of Android, but this just makes it like Linux - who's similarly, if not more, fractured.
    11-30-10 09:51 AM
    hands down Iphone is a beast.. All thease new smartphones and copy cats of the iphone.. Android has a horrible battery life and unstable google programing. Iphone has a crappy network.. You win some you lose some..
    11-30-10 10:55 AM
    I'll chime in here a bit. I've used a couple generations worth of the iPod Touch, and played around with my brother's iPhone 3G and iPhone 4. I was the exact opposite and went with Android. For one, I HATE iTunes... I utterly detest it. It refuses to recognize VBR MP3's, insists on using Apples proprietary file types for music files, and is a bit buggy on Windows. The fact that you MUST use iTunes to even use the iPhone is a huge turn off.

Android - no PC required to actually use the phone. Plus drag and drop music, photos, videos on the SD card is a whole lot faster and easier than having to fuss with a media player to sync the files. Granted if you want to use a media player to sync, WMP works great as do others.

Generally for my DAP purposes I use my Zune HD. The Zune software is superior in every aspect in my opinion and is just plain flawless. Plus you still get the goodies like movie rentals, and something you don't get with Apple: SUBSCRIPTION MUSIC with 10 song credits a month!

I personally feel that the boxes Apple places their products in is better than the device it holds.
    lssanjose likes this.
    11-30-10 11:00 AM
    hands down Iphone is a beast.. All thease new smartphones and copy cats of the iphone.. Android has a horrible battery life and unstable google programing. Iphone has a crappy network.. You win some you lose some..
    Technically... Android existed before the iPhone... This is going back to before Google actually bought Android. On top of that, every smart phone would actually be a copy cat of Palm.

Googles programing is just fine and is stable - 2.2 is a much more refined OS than 2.1 and down. Sadly battery life and stability are the manufacturers issue, NOT Android's. This will always be due to the diversity of hardware and custom UI's like Motorola's Software Platform, or HTC's Sense. Stock Android is fare better in terms of stability and battery life.

Apples iOS has taken years to mature to compete on the true smart phone level both with security, exchange integration, and basic features like MMS. Only now are companies opening up and allowing iPhones to use their network for work usage. And for all these years to mature they still haven't got some things "right". Multi tasking is still poorly implemented, etc... People are still jail breaking their phones to get true "control" and full usage of their devices. While you can root Android, it's not as necessary as it is to jailbreak an iPhone. Though I will admit, the need to jail break is starting to get less and less as time passes on. That and the fact that Apple blundered big time with the iPhone 4 - those voice issues and data issues your having are not all the network - it's been proven the iPhone 4 is flawed when it comes to the antennas design.

And last but not least the simple fact that Apple had the nerve to actually pick a fight with RIM, Sony, Nokia trying to say that "all phones" have the same issue as the iPhone 4 when they don't just turned me off of anything Apple. That little attack was unprovoked mind you. Several times RIM has had to set the record straight and shove a little something up Job's *** to straighten him out.

Anyway that was a lot more typing than I planed on, but I got into it. That's how I feel, others opinions may be different and that's fine. I personally have learned to have no brand loyalty any longer. I simply go with the best solution at the time I need to upgrade. I'd chose my X over my brothers iPhone 4 any day of the week. The hardware is fare fare better. Though Apples "Retina" display is sexy, in every other aspect the new top end Android phones are better when it comes to hardware. That and I don't need to purchase a "bumper" to stop dropped calls. At the end of the day I'd rather have a Trac Phone next to an iPhone 4 due to call reliability.
    lssanjose likes this.
    11-30-10 11:19 AM
    Technically... Android existed before the iPhone... This is going back to before Google actually bought Android. On top of that, every smart phone would actually be a copy cat of Palm.

Googles programing is just fine and is stable - 2.2 is a much more refined OS than 2.1 and down. Sadly battery life and stability are the manufacturers issue, NOT Android's. This will always be due to the diversity of hardware and custom UI's like Motorola's Software Platform, or HTC's Sense. Stock Android is fare better in terms of stability and battery life.

Apples iOS has taken years to mature to compete on the true smart phone level both with security, exchange integration, and basic features like MMS. Only now are companies opening up and allowing iPhones to use their network for work usage. And for all these years to mature they still haven't got some things "right". Multi tasking is still poorly implemented, etc... People are still jail breaking their phones to get true "control" and full usage of their devices. While you can root Android, it's not as necessary as it is to jailbreak an iPhone. Though I will admit, the need to jail break is starting to get less and less as time passes on. That and the fact that Apple blundered big time with the iPhone 4 - those voice issues and data issues your having are not all the network - it's been proven the iPhone 4 is flawed when it comes to the antennas design.

And last but not least the simple fact that Apple had the nerve to actually pick a fight with RIM, Sony, Nokia trying to say that "all phones" have the same issue as the iPhone 4 when they don't just turned me off of anything Apple. That little attack was unprovoked mind you. Several times RIM has had to set the record straight and shove a little something up Job's *** to straighten him out. Anyway that was a lot more typing than I planed on, but I got into it. That's how I feel, others opinions may be different and that's fine. I personally have learned to have no brand loyalty any longer. I simply go with the best solution at the time I need to upgrade. I'd chose my X over my brothers iPhone 4 any day of the week. The hardware is fare fare better. Though Apples "Retina" display is sexy, in every other aspect the new top end Android phones are better when it comes to hardware. That and I don't need to purchase a "bumper" to stop dropped calls. At the end of the day I'd rather have a Trac Phone next to an iPhone 4 due to call reliability.

I'm sorry but when did RIM do this? Blackberry has never had anything on ios other than email! Email is the only thing that has kept blackberry in business. Now that android and ios do email just as good if not better, eim better step there game up before they have to file for chapter 11.
    11-30-10 11:49 AM
    Because I Own an Apple desktop & Laptop and I'm very satisfied with their products.
    And they finally added multitasking & excellent battery life to the iPhone.

No regrets.
    I agree, I have a MacMini and a MacBook Pro and it makes using the iPhone that much easier; Apple products tend to also be superior in my experience. I disagree with the above poster concerning iTunes. I use to have Vista (arguably the worst OS ever created by mankind and beyond) and it ran great. iTunes is a nice central location to keep all your media, backups and hard syncing in one place, it's simple.
    11-30-10 11:54 AM
    I'm sorry but when did RIM do this? Blackberry has never had anything on ios other than email! Email is the only thing that has kept blackberry in business. Now that android and ios do email just as good if not better, eim better step there game up before they have to file for chapter 11.
    Don't you read the front page of this site? Or Engadget?

Breaking: RIM Co-CEO Jim Balsillie responds to Steve Jobs comments made during Apple earnings call! | CrackBerry.com

Official statement from Research In Motion in response to Apple's iPhone 4 Antennagate propaganda! | CrackBerry.com

And yes there are more.

Edit: And better email? Never will happen. RIM has that market cornered. Nothing even comes close to rivaling BIS. Period.
    11-30-10 11:58 AM
    I agree, I have a MacMini and a MacBook Pro and it makes using the iPhone that much easier; Apple products tend to also be superior in my experience. I disagree with the above poster concerning iTunes. I use to have Vista (arguably the worst OS ever created by mankind and beyond) and it ran great. iTunes is a nice central location to keep all your media, backups and hard syncing in one place, it's simple.
    Except for half the MP3's you try and add to iTunes are not recognized. God forbid you try to add a VBR MP3. See what happens. People have been having issues with that since iTunes 7. Google it and you will find it. 6 out of the 7 people that are friends of mine have issues with some of their albums not being recognized. I do agree iTunes is simple, and in theory good. I loved the early versions of it, but ever since 7 I had nothing but issues. I've since started to use the Zune software and I personally like it a whole lot more. I've yet to ever have an issue with an album not showing up. Their selection of rental movies, music, music videos, are just as good. Plus the Zune Pass just makes it even better.

Vista was an excellent OS once SP1 hit the shelves. Pre SP1, yeah.. it was bad... VERY bad. While they do make nice machines you are always overpaying I mean WAY over paying for the hardware you get. You can configure a decked out Dell XPS for the price of a Mac Book Pro and that Dell will run circles around it.

Me personally, I just don't see the value. I just see a pretty box with sub-par hardware and a Bentley price tag on it. And yes I've used many Apple products. In fact I used to really admire Apple, but that was many years ago, well before this "follow me the rest of the world is crap, oh and if you **** me off I'll sue the pants off you" Steve Jobs attitude.
    11-30-10 12:10 PM
    Does the iPhone, or iPod support lossless compression? I know BB users have to dig, and crawl; Android has it via custom ROMs.
    11-30-10 12:12 PM
    @mrspock202, I've never had any issues whatsoever bringing any MP3's into iTunes from another source including but not limited to Limewire, Amazon, and even old *** MP3's from when it was first introduced. iTunes plays and syncs them all without a hitch (for me).
    Vista has been an utter joke no matter what version, that has been well documented by many. We can agree to disagree but with the Storm 1 and Storm 2 in your signature it makes it hard for me to take you seriously.

You are going to compare a beautiful all aluminum piece of art with Dell's plastic wonders? I don't get people..sure the Dell could be made more powerful but when I speak hardware I mean it literally. I really like the marriage between great hardware and good software, just me.

Still this is getting off course, what it comes down to is the quality of available carriers in ones area, in this case the OP's area. If AT&T were not up to par where I live I would not have an iPhone.
    Last edited by Entertainment72; 11-30-10 at 04:37 PM.
    11-30-10 04:31 PM
    I love my MacBook Pro, but those "Dell plastic wonders" can smoke my Pro for a laptop of the same price. I wouldn't give up my MBP for one, but it is the truth.

The hardware on the MBP is great (all around design, durability, performance and software), but performance can be beat for a much cheaper price.
    lssanjose likes this.
    11-30-10 04:56 PM
    I wouldn't give up my MBP for one
    I think you've said it all right there, performance isn't everything but the overall experience is.
    lssanjose likes this.
    11-30-10 05:34 PM
63 123
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD