To Accidental Post:

. Hows that truncated email working for ya?
    Quite well actually. There's a thing called 'Get images' that displays the entirety of the email if needed, with the full email. Instead, blackberry sends you a quick, shortened version first so you can get the gist of the email, without waiting for the whole thing to render, thus shortening the email delivery time.

Apple has a closed ECO system not a closed source OS please do your homework.
    Pretty sure iOS isn't open-source now is it? Linux is, Blackberry OS isn't. iOS isn't. If you'd been actually reading you would have noticed I didn't say that was a minus, just that Apple OS is a closed source OS. So do your own homework, thank you.

Wrong let me know how working on a server works for you on a micro screen. My iPhone let's me use the WHOLE screen so I can see whats going on.
    have fun with that. Gee screen size?sounds like personal preference to me. Also, see Torch and storm models.

iOS updates when they need to or launch a news OS. P.S. iOS5 will go back to the 3gs. How far back does BBOS 7 go or even better I will give you BBOS6 not very far. Your facts are so incredibly wrong it's laughable......
    Actually, BB does update much the same.(when they 'need to' or 'launch a news(?news?)OS') OS7 does not, if, if you'd actually read my post I said Blackberry's get updates quite literally up to the point where their hardware limits them to further advancement

If you remember correctly(but you probably don't), older OS5 BB's got graphical updates when OS6 came out, even if they didn't get the full update(hardware too old tot ake advantage of say, OS 7's new chipsets)

Ultimately as a Systems Analyst I could not do half of what I need to be productive on a small BB screen.
    So your whole argument quite literally comes down too 'I don't understand how email works on a BB, but I'm gonna say you're laughable', and oh, 'my personal preference for a larger screen is what makes my entire argument valid'.

Anyway, If you'd actually read what I posted before going off on a rant, I actually do say the iPhone isn't a bad device. It's just not geared for productivity the way BB is.

To Marty mcfly(awesome name by the way):

Isn't that the goal of every company that sells products?
    The goal is to sell products. Notice I didn't say that that was a bad thing, as referenced by the words a moment later saying 'that's the reason they have such a good App-developer base'. So no, the goal of every company that sells products is to continue selling products. I personally dislike the Apple-Cult atmosphere, but it isn't a hindrance to the company(In fact, I say the exact opposite, if you'd cared to actually read)

I'm not sure if you know how to setup email on an iphone, but i'm able to get push email for my gmail/hotmail accounts. They also render better on the iphone (no truncated messages)
    I do. The iPhone an ANdroid is still slower than BB from what I've seen.

*chuckles* It's funny you say that i see a ton of bankers/lawyers using ios devices on the daily bases. Not to mention ios/android is killing bb when it comes to productive/business apps
    Oh noes, you've 'seen' bankers/lawyers using iOS devices *gasp*. Considering most major officials in government organizations and businesses use BBs(hey, what does Obama use?Oh right, a blackberry. What tablet got federal approval?Oh wait, it was the Playbook). That's entirely subjective to you 'noticing' people using iPhones.

Ios receive far better support software wise than bb, it's not even close. Rimm just released os7 devices non which will be able to upgrade to qnx. Say what you want about apple at least ip4 owners will be able to upgrade their device to ios5
    Actually, Apple has had a horrible reputation for upgrades, on any of their products, so no, they don't.<_< If they change this, it's because they noticed their competition doing it. Since it hasn't happened yet, lets stick to actual facts?

There are a ton of over priced apps in appworld. You will find a lot of free apps in itunes/marketplace that gives more functionality than some of blackberry's top paid apps. Whenever i see someone with a blackberry i assume that they wanted a blackberry nothing more nothing less. Lol @ the thought of placing how important someone is by what device they use.
    Funny how again you obviously didn't read what I posted. So lets talk about apps. There are a ton of apps in apple app store. Gee, didn't I say that?Oh yeah, that's right. I did say that.:

"Apps - Apple has a lot of app developers because, much like Android(Linux), there's a rabid, core base of supporters that program for it"

And to your other point, did you not notice the 'I think' or 'I personally hate' part of that post? Or did you not and you're just complaining on a blackberry forum when you're an apple fan?

Here it is so you can actually read it this time:

I don't think either is 'better'. I personally hate Apple's ecosystem, and their general tight-fisted, money-grubbing policy towards apps and their software in general(see, Kindle cloud-player, since apple wants 30% of in-app purchases), and I find their phones tend to be more a sign of being 'in' than being productive/useful

so, 'lol@ someone who doesn't reads posts in order to troll'. Anyway, that's it for me in this thread, as I'd rather not cause the thread to get locked down, and/or spend my time arguing on them that interwebs.
    08-28-11 11:57 AM
    Here are 10 tens I thought of on the top of my head. I know some of these problems are attempting to be fixed with iOS5. I tried out the iPhone 4 for two weeks and kept switching back to my blackberry during the trial period because I missed BBM too much. The things I noticed that iPhone was superior in was the screen size and resolution, camera and video quality along with the front face camera, and the abundant apps in their app store (however many of the apps I found were pointless and just used to waste time or impress your friends).

1. No dedicated camera button or button to take the picture.
    2. Annoying notification system that pops up
    3. Cannot remove the battery
    4. Lack of customization (changing the font size)
    5. No LED light for notifications
    6. BBM is better than iMessage right now
    7. Typing emails or texting is easier on a physical qwerty keyboard
    8. Lack of multitasking
    9. Poor reception and dropped calls on the iPhone 4
    10. Slide to unlock for phone calls is annoying
    08-28-11 12:08 PM
    I like being able to carry a spare battery for times when I'm going to be away from a charger for long periods, then being able to change said battery in a few seconds
    08-28-11 12:11 PM
    You start a thread like this on a BlackBerry-centric forum...and what do you expect to get? Rabid BlackBerry fanatics will almost always say the BB is better...but for most of the reasons they list slinging mud at the iPhone, they are simply not.

I've had every iPhone since the first generation...and I've had every GSM BlackBerry sinced the 8700c, at least for a little while...and both devices have their strengths and both have weaknesses. In both phones, and in both cases...they are glareing.

I think it comes down to what you use a device for primarily.

Communication/Messaging: BlackBerry wins here. That's what BB has been known for forever...and for business users who live and die by push email...BB has no peer. Although RIM is trying to boost their multimedia aspects...the real advantage BB has is real-time messaging.

Multimedia/Applications: iPhone wins hands down. No other device has the sheer number of applications available to the user. No other OS is as smooth, consumer friendly and bug-free as the iOS. And arguably, no other OS does multimedia presentation as easily and as reliably.
    08-28-11 12:55 PM
    no, i am not 10.

as for your needs or the end users needs i totally agree with you.

see the thing is, all of them can fulfill your needs.

the question about which is better is about which one does the same tasks better... hence meeting your needs better....
    So if you agree with this and you have used both, what is the purpose of this post. Do you have actual question or need you would like addressed?

Sorry but you do remind me of my 10 year old, "Dad, why do you drink Coke and Mom drinks Pepsi? Which one is better?"
    08-28-11 12:57 PM
    To Accidental Post:

Quite well actually. There's a thing called 'Get images' that displays the entirety of the email if needed, with the full email. Instead, blackberry sends you a quick, shortened version first so you can get the gist of the email, without waiting for the whole thing to render, thus shortening the email delivery time.

My GMAIL acct/ setup as exchange gets to my phone just as fast. And quite frankly my life does not depend on how fast I get an email. 5 mins or 5 secs is not life or death to me.

And how does that work when you expect a large attachment like a pdf or word doc?

Exactly my point I open my email and guess what it is ALL there no additional steps and FYI my gmail comes in just as fast as it did on 6 different BB's.

Pretty sure iOS isn't open-source now is it? Linux is, Blackberry OS isn't. iOS isn't. If you'd been actually reading you would have noticed I didn't say that was a minus, just that Apple OS is a closed source OS. So do your own homework, thank you. Wrong OSX and iOS is based on Free BSD and there has been many an argument if Apple needs to release it's source code. The reason they don't is because they CLOSED the Kernel not the base OS. It is closed ECO system not source. BIG difference. The Kernel maybe closed but BSD is NOT and iOS is based on MAC OSX which is based on BSD.

have fun with that. Gee screen size?sounds like personal preference to me. Also, see Torch and storm models.

If I get, God forbid the storm that takes way your keyboard argument...

Actually, BB does update much the same.(when they 'need to' or 'launch a news(?news?)OS') OS7 does not, if, if you'd actually read my post I said Blackberry's get updates quite literally up to the point where their hardware limits them to further advancement

SO when does the 9930 get QNX???? NEVER. When does the iPhone 3gs get iOS5? When it's released.

If you remember correctly(but you probably don't), older OS5 BB's got graphical updates when OS6 came out, even if they didn't get the full update(hardware too old tot ake advantage of say, OS 7's new chipsets)

Hows OS 6 or 7 running on the Storm?

So your whole argument quite literally comes down too 'I don't understand how email works on a BB, but I'm gonna say you're laughable', and oh, 'my personal preference for a larger screen is what makes my entire argument valid'.

I understand quite well how the email works and quite frankly I don't have to ask for more of my email or images.

Anyway, If you'd actually read what I posted before going off on a rant, I actually do say the iPhone isn't a bad device. It's just not geared for productivity the way BB is.

The iPhone is just as productive as the BB in the hands of the user. I manage 20 plus servers and 300 plus desktops and when I need to RDP in to either my servers or Workstations my iPhone suits ME just fine.

To Marty mcfly(awesome name by the way):

The goal is to sell products. Notice I didn't say that that was a bad thing, as referenced by the words a moment later saying 'that's the reason they have such a good App-developer base'. So no, the goal of every company that sells products is to continue selling products. I personally dislike the Apple-Cult atmosphere, but it isn't a hindrance to the company(In fact, I say the exact opposite, if you'd cared to actually read)

I do. The iPhone an ANdroid is still slower than BB from what I've seen.

Oh noes, you've 'seen' bankers/lawyers using iOS devices *gasp*. Considering most major officials in government organizations and businesses use BBs(hey, what does Obama use?Oh right, a blackberry. What tablet got federal approval?Oh wait, it was the Playbook). That's entirely subjective to you 'noticing' people using iPhones.

Actually, Apple has had a horrible reputation for upgrades, on any of their products, so no, they don't.<_< If they change this, it's because they noticed their competition doing it. Since it hasn't happened yet, lets stick to actual facts?

Funny how again you obviously didn't read what I posted. So lets talk about apps. There are a ton of apps in apple app store. Gee, didn't I say that?Oh yeah, that's right. I did say that.:

"Apps - Apple has a lot of app developers because, much like Android(Linux), there's a rabid, core base of supporters that program for it"

And to your other point, did you not notice the 'I think' or 'I personally hate' part of that post? Or did you not and you're just complaining on a blackberry forum when you're an apple fan?

Here it is so you can actually read it this time:

I don't think either is 'better'. I personally hate Apple's ecosystem, and their general tight-fisted, money-grubbing policy towards apps and their software in general(see, Kindle cloud-player, since apple wants 30% of in-app purchases), and I find their phones tend to be more a sign of being 'in' than being productive/useful

so, 'lol@ someone who doesn't reads posts in order to troll'. Anyway, that's it for me in this thread, as I'd rather not cause the thread to get locked down, and/or spend my time arguing on them that interwebs.
    Just thought you might want to really read what I wrote and not skim it. Question was asked and answered by many with a real view. Your concept of the iPhone is skewed. Have you ever owned one? I have had 6 BB's 4 droid devices and 2 iPhones so I feel I am qualified to speak.
    Last edited by Accidental Post; 08-28-11 at 01:23 PM.
    LazyStarGazer likes this.
    08-28-11 01:17 PM
    Here are 10 tens I thought of on the top of my head. I know some of these problems are attempting to be fixed with iOS5. I tried out the iPhone 4 for two weeks and kept switching back to my blackberry during the trial period because I missed BBM too much. The things I noticed that iPhone was superior in was the screen size and resolution, camera and video quality along with the front face camera, and the abundant apps in their app store (however many of the apps I found were pointless and just used to waste time or impress your friends).

8. Lack of multitasking

Um, a few things here:

1. It is being fixed in iOS 5 like you stated which you can put on your phone already, so it's kinda an issue being fixed/non issue really.
    4. If you can't do it natively, jailbreak in my opinion.
    8. iOS4 has multitasking to the point of not killing your battery life. Sure, you may not be able to run videos and NBA Live in the background while surfing and checking email, but when do you want to anyway?
    Last edited by soccernamlak; 08-28-11 at 03:17 PM.
    08-28-11 01:40 PM
    There is no "better" phone. Well, there are a lot of crappy phones out there, but at the top of the pile, there are a few really great devices out there. It all depends what you want to do with it. Decide for yourself what is most important.

I can tell you that the iPhone's strengths have traditionally been multimedia, web browsing, and gaming apps. Lots of apps. Some are stupid and silly, some are really great.

BlackBerry has been alone in the messaging game for a very long time. They have no one close to them, but Android and iOS are working hard on that. It will still be a long time before the competition can match RIM's full enterprise suite. RIM is also working hard to bring on-par multimedia & web browsing to the BlackBerry because they see the need expand beyond the enterprise market. They have been making great strides, especially with the recent BlackBerry 7 devices!

BlackBerry may not have the same depth of apps as iOS and Android, but they have a similar range of apps: games, news, travel, PIM, social networking, email, weather, etc., etc. Personally, I like the direction RIM has been taking to integrate apps, sharing data between apps, even BBM!

It will be interesting to see how things develop over the next few years. RIM, Apple, and Google will still be around. Google's move to buy Motorola reveals their dissatisfaction with the current model of having third party handset manufacturers. Android products have been shown to be generally not as reliable as iOS and BlackBerry products.

Wherever you decide to go, just note that every smartphone manufacturer has their own way of doing something. Android likes using widgets to display info from multiple sources on the screen. However, there is only so much screen space, so this concept can only be pushed so far. iOS just gives you a ton of apps that you have to manage yourself. In iOS 5, they are finally combining notifications for those apps so you don't have to be interrupted constantly and having to flip from one screen to another to find the apps. RIM has been pushing all notifications to one central location forever.

So, to summarize:

- if you want apps and more apps, especially gaming apps, go iOS.
    - if you want rock solid messaging and social media integration, go BlackBerry.
    - if you want a pot pourri, Android might be best. You just have to pick a solid device as not all Androids are built the same.
    08-28-11 01:48 PM
    Things iPhone are good at:

It looks shiny - Apple is really good at making you want their products. They have the whole 'you're part of a community' thing going on.
    Apps - Apple has a lot of ap developers because, much like Android(Linux), there's a rabid, core base of supporters that program for it

Things iPhone is bad at(compared to Android or BB)

Messaging: BB has the best e-mail, hands down. It's their strength, and when I use BB my emails are quite literally on my phone the moment they drop into my inbox, whereas ANdroid/iOS they pop up anywhere from 5-15 minutes later. It's also easier to text/reply to emails/forward emails/etc. with a BB. Anyone that tells you differently either hasn't used a BB or is trying real hard to make APple sound better:P Remember until about the second or third iPhone you couldn't send picture messages, but BB could.

Keyboard: iPhone does not have a good keyboard. It's not horrendous, but it's nothing compared to a BB. This isn't even a matter of touchscreen/physical. The touchscreen keyboard on my Storm2 was easier to type on than an iPhone of the same approximate release(remember, storm1 and 2 are getting close to 2 years old, thats about 3 iPhones worth:P Try comparing the PlayBook keyboard to the iOS(it's better IMO), or the new touch-0screen keyboard on the all-touch blackberry and compare

Productivity: Apple iOS is not designed for business. it's designed for play. That's why everything is sort of all bundled up on one screen. Blackberry allows you to find everything quickly, and organizes it in a way that helps you work faster and better.

Upgrades: The iPhone gets little to no software updates IMO when it stacks against blackberry. I enjoy the fact that they continued to update my Blackberry even when newer, shinier models were coming out. Blackberry's get updates quite literally up to the point where their hardware limits them to further advancement, and they'll even continue to push updates for older phones to boot. Apple has a notorious reputation for making you 'buy up' to get the newest OS, whether it's an iPad or a Macbook or an iPhone or an iPod.

As to 'why is a blackberry better than n iPhone?' (it's an, not n by the way:P). I don't think either is 'better'. I personally hate Apple's ecosystem, and their general tight-fisted, money-grubbing policy towards apps and their software in general(see, Kindle cloud-player, since apple wants 30% of in-app purchases), and I find their phones tend to be more a sign of being 'in' than being productive/useful. Blackberry in general is far more low-key. People don't go 'Oh wow look he's got a Blackberry, he's so cool', they go 'Oh that guys on his Blackberry. He must do something important/be a hard worker/in communication with a job', because Blackberry is a business/productivity phone first and an entertainment phone second.
    Most of what you list the iPhone being 'bad' at is purely personal preference. It's bad at 'keyboard'? No, you just prefer a physical keyboard as opposed to a touchscreen. iPhones 'upgrades' don't suck either; I'd argue BlackBerry updates suck, which is why they have to continually release new OSs (bugs & fragmentation) and the string of numbers to describe your OS is so long. Also, the whole 'iPhone is a toy, BlackBerry is for business' argument is beat to death ten times over. Just because iPhone attracts a lot more developers and sells a lot more than BlackBerry doesn't mean that it's simply a toy who all these twenty-somethings are buying - it means that it offers superb multimedia and does everything users need.

I've had many Blackberrys and several iPhones - most currently an iPhone 4 and my new 9930 so here are just MY thoughts:

1. Instant Messaging - Blackberry (BBM) - It's fast and well designed. And who doesn't LOVE seeing that little red star appear on your BBM?
    4. Screen - Draw - The new screen on my 9930 is freaking gorgeous - almost the same density as the iPhone 4, but the iPhone has more real estate
    7. Hardware Build Quality - Draw - I call a draw on this one because my Bold 9930 is the best built Blackberry in recent memory. The iPhone is amazing as well.
    1. There are a lot more offerings for an IM client on the App Store if I'm not mistaken. Plus, iMessage will be the BBM of the decade. I'm not saying I disagree with you, but I think BBM will lose a lot of steam in the coming months.

4. There is actually a very big difference in the DPI (dots per inch) of the phones. Something like the 9900 being 285 and the iPhone is 326. I haven't personally seen the 9900 screen, but I doubt it is as good as the iPhone 4. The iPhone 4 screen is referred to as "Retina Display," because the maximum DPI-count the human eye will notice a difference at is 300 (apparently); the iPhone far surpasses that, the 9900 has a ways to go.

7. I just flat out disagree with you here. I have seen the 9900 and it looks pretty cool and solid, but there is absolutely nothing that is as aesthetically pleasing and well-built as the iPhone 4. Of course this is just my opinion, but I haven't heard any stories about hardware issues on the iPhone 4 (unless you count the blown-out-of-proportion 'Antennaegate'), whereas with the 9900 and every single other BlackBerry there are numerous issues with buttons coming off, the button panels not being flush, creaky buttons, paint wearing off on buttons, button icons being transparent etc.

8. Lack of multitasking
    You already stated a lot of this will be resolved with iOS 5, but just for kicks, lets review this:

1. I personally am on the 'the less buttons, the better,' boat, so I think that a dedicated convenience key is more disposable than useful (at least a physical button). I am aware I am probably in the minority on this. In any case, iOS 5 is bringing a camera button to the lock screen, which will be just as easily accessible as a physical key, but less of an eyesore.

2. iOS 5.

3. Again, I'm what most people might consider 'shallow,' when it comes to electronics, or maybe even 'snobby,' but I think that a battery door/removable battery is tacky. I also don't think there are any benefits of a removable battery unless you need a new one, in which case the iPhone 4 can still be fixed. You can always restart an iPhone without taking it out (although you'll almost never have to), and there are battery-attachment 'cases' that essentially function as a back-up battery.

4. Compared to Android and maybe even BlackBerry, you're right. For me personally, I don't need to make my phone a reflection of my identity so it doesn't matter. Not saying that's everyone's reason for wanting 'customization,' but it probably is.

5. iOS 5 brings it to the iPhone 4. No official word on whether or not there will be one on the next gen. iPhone that isn't just the camera flash.

6. No way to know that for sure, but you may be right. In any case, I think BBM reached its peak and iMessage will be the next big OEM mobile IM client.

7. Entirely personal preference.

8. Multitasking isn't that bad on iOS right now. It may look pretty bland and boring making you think it can't possibly be multitasking, but there are a lot of apps that actually support it (if not all by this point), and for those apps, it is useful.

9. This is more on your carriers part as the 'Antennaegate,' issue is/was blown out of proportion. Some may view it as a huge fault, but to me, it's no big deal.

10. Purely opinion again. It's pretty simple, I don't know why it would bother anyone.
    08-28-11 01:59 PM
    PS ^^^^^^ Number 4 you can change the font size on the iPhone. Settings/General/Accessibility/

Oh and the whole no removable battery thing.....we don't need to pull our battery....
    08-28-11 03:25 PM
    1. There are a lot more offerings for an IM client on the App Store if I'm not mistaken. Plus, iMessage will be the BBM of the decade. I'm not saying I disagree with you, but I think BBM will lose a lot of steam in the coming months.

4. There is actually a very big difference in the DPI (dots per inch) of the phones. Something like the 9900 being 285 and the iPhone is 326. I haven't personally seen the 9900 screen, but I doubt it is as good as the iPhone 4. The iPhone 4 screen is referred to as "Retina Display," because the maximum DPI-count the human eye will notice a difference at is 300 (apparently); the iPhone far surpasses that, the 9900 has a ways to go.

7. I just flat out disagree with you here. I have seen the 9900 and it looks pretty cool and solid, but there is absolutely nothing that is as aesthetically pleasing and well-built as the iPhone 4. Of course this is just my opinion, but I haven't heard any stories about hardware issues on the iPhone 4 (unless you count the blown-out-of-proportion 'Antennaegate'), whereas with the 9900 and every single other BlackBerry there are numerous issues with buttons coming off, the button panels not being flush, creaky buttons, paint wearing off on buttons, button icons being transparent etc.

As something to think about:

1) There have always been tons of IM applications on multiple app stores. There have always been a ton of chat programs offered on multiple app stores. Despite this, BBM is still holding its ground.

The problem I have with iMessage is it doesn't really bring anything new to the table really: it's just another closed-platform messaging application. Not necessarily a bad thing, but there's nothing exciting about it, more like "Apple is just now getting around to this?" type reaction.

The other advantage that BBM will have is direct connection between phones through BlackBerry. This showed useful during last week's earthquake in Virginia where cell and SMS were down, but BBM was still up and working. Apple, on the other hand, still routes things through the network as far as I know (if I'm wrong, please correct me, but Apple doesn't run data through their own servers).

So I disagree with you that iMessage will be the BBM of the decade. It doesn't bring anything new and still has the same disadvantages that BBM has always had: you have to have the OS/phone to run it.

IF FaceBook could do it correctly, I'd argue that FaceBook Message would have a better chance based on it not only being cross-platform (for chat now, message possibly in future), but the fact that it rules in shear number of people connected (1 Billion or so last I checked). Honestly, again if done correctly, this would be the best connecting cross-platform message app. And I think that's where iMessage and other single-platform apps fail: when people use different phones and OS, a non-cross platform app doesn't do you any good and you're still relying on cross-platform apps (way to many of them) or SMS.

4) The 9900 actually doesn't have a ways to go. Please understand just how ridiculously small of a different 285 dpi and 300 dpi is in the real world. In fact, depending on your eyesight, "retina display" can actually be lower than 300 dpi.

Point being is don't knock it before you try it. I agree that a majority of people would notice the difference between old iPhones/BlackBerrys with DPIs in the 100-170 range, but I think you'd be pressed to find someone who can arguably say the iPhone4 display is that much better than the 9900's display. Bigger? Absolutely. Possibly brighter, different color temperature as well. But clearer? At those resolutions, debatable.
    08-28-11 03:31 PM
    PS ^^^^^^ Number 4 you can change the font size on the iPhone. Settings/General/Accessibility/

Oh and the whole no removable battery thing.....we don't need to pull our battery....
    Except whereas pulling your battery to reset the phone can be done by a force reset using buttons on the phone, it will not help you in the scenario when you run out of battery and need your phone.

I guess it depends on how/where you are using your phone. Day to day, it shouldn't be an issue unless you're on your phone using heavy data constantly (but in the normal workplace you'd expect your area to have electrical outlets).

But research in the wilderness....it would boil down to having a phone with a removable battery so you can slip another in or carrying with you a portable battery supply for the iPhone (the ones that charge the phone through the 30-pin connector). Some people just rather not have that dangling on their phones and instead just like having a spare battery if needed.

As said, majority of people won't care whether their battery is replaceable or not. But there are those that do; it makes it a tad more difficult owning a phone without a removable battery.
    08-28-11 03:35 PM
    I used to think BlackBerry was the best messaging device too. But, email is better on Android because you can sort by label, select to always show images in emails, get full HTML emails and no truncation. Gmail is push, as fast as BIS was for me.

Also, BBM and Google Talk are very similar. I'm not sure what iPhone has but I don't miss BBM at all.

I'm not sure why I thought BlackBerry was Tue cream of the crop when it comes to messaging. I type as fast with a virtual keyboard as I did on my Tour.
    08-28-11 03:38 PM
    Except whereas pulling your battery to reset the phone can be done by a force reset using buttons on the phone, it will not help you in the scenario when you run out of battery and need your phone.

I guess it depends on how/where you are using your phone. Day to day, it shouldn't be an issue unless you're on your phone using heavy data constantly (but in the normal workplace you'd expect your area to have electrical outlets).

But research in the wilderness....it would boil down to having a phone with a removable battery so you can slip another in or carrying with you a portable battery supply for the iPhone (the ones that charge the phone through the 30-pin connector). Some people just rather not have that dangling on their phones and instead just like having a spare battery if needed.

As said, majority of people won't care whether their battery is replaceable or not. But there are those that do; it makes it a tad more difficult owning a phone without a removable battery.

I understand what you are saying but people that argue about how great the battery life is can't have it both ways. Either the battery is great and you don't need a spare or the battery is meh and you do need a spare in which case the ability to change them out is obviously awesome.
    08-28-11 03:42 PM
    Also, BB being used by the government is not a good example of productivity. Please stop mentioning that!
    Accidental Post likes this.
    08-28-11 03:47 PM
    Also, BB being used by the government is not a good example of productivity. Please stop mentioning that!
    LOL

10 Chars
    08-28-11 03:51 PM
    As something to think about:

1) There have always been tons of IM applications on multiple app stores. There have always been a ton of chat programs offered on multiple app stores. Despite this, BBM is still holding its ground.

The problem I have with iMessage is it doesn't really bring anything new to the table really: it's just another closed-platform messaging application. Not necessarily a bad thing, but there's nothing exciting about it, more like "Apple is just now getting around to this?" type reaction.

The other advantage that BBM will have is direct connection between phones through BlackBerry. This showed useful during last week's earthquake in Virginia where cell and SMS were down, but BBM was still up and working. Apple, on the other hand, still routes things through the network as far as I know (if I'm wrong, please correct me, but Apple doesn't run data through their own servers).

So I disagree with you that iMessage will be the BBM of the decade. It doesn't bring anything new and still has the same disadvantages that BBM has always had: you have to have the OS/phone to run it.

IF FaceBook could do it correctly, I'd argue that FaceBook Message would have a better chance based on it not only being cross-platform (for chat now, message possibly in future), but the fact that it rules in shear number of people connected (1 Billion or so last I checked). Honestly, again if done correctly, this would be the best connecting cross-platform message app. And I think that's where iMessage and other single-platform apps fail: when people use different phones and OS, a non-cross platform app doesn't do you any good and you're still relying on cross-platform apps (way to many of them) or SMS.

4) The 9900 actually doesn't have a ways to go. Please understand just how ridiculously small of a different 285 dpi and 300 dpi is in the real world. In fact, depending on your eyesight, "retina display" can actually be lower than 300 dpi.

Point being is don't knock it before you try it. I agree that a majority of people would notice the difference between old iPhones/BlackBerrys with DPIs in the 100-170 range, but I think you'd be pressed to find someone who can arguably say the iPhone4 display is that much better than the 9900's display. Bigger? Absolutely. Possibly brighter, different color temperature as well. But clearer? At those resolutions, debatable.
    I wasn't disagreeing that BlackBerry may have a slight edge in the IM department (although I'm not agreeing either), I simply don't have enough statistics to prove a claim at this juncture, nor do I plan on looking into it. However, I still believe iMessage will gain popularity and perhaps lead to a/the downfall of BlackBerry Messenger. BBM has some forty-six-million subscribers if I'm not mistaken, whereas iMessage has the possibility of about as many the day it launches; I may be wrong on my numbers, but I believe the iPhone 4 itself sold well over twenty-million so I can assume with relative assurance that the numbers will be semi-close to those of BBM. I think when iMessage becomes more publicized - and it will, as soon as the world finds out that it will eliminate the need for messaging rates (for a lot of people) and when people start to inevitably liken it to BBM/BBM killer - it will gain even more users than the stock 3GS/iP4 owners who will already be getting it. It may not be cross-platform, but neither is BBM, it's strictly BlackBerry to BlackBerry. Also, if I'm not mistaken, iMessage will be useable on wifi, which will eliminate a lot of carrier worries for a lot of people. All-in-all, I think BBM will have its place, but I think that the already waning sales for RIM will get even worse when people start to realize that one of the last big selling-points for BlackBerry devices is gone.

As far as the screen resolution goes, I can say that the Bold 9900 does not have as 'good' a screen as the iPhone 4 in respect to clarity, pixel density, DPI etc. Of course I have yet to see the screen on the new Bold, but I remain confident the iPhone 4 has a clearer screen. I will definitely be looking at the new Bold wherever I see it in stores or at kiosks and I will notify you/anyone if my mind changes on the matter.
    08-28-11 03:55 PM

Thats a lie you do have to "pull" it, you just cant because its not user accessible, hence the reset buttons. The BB has those too but pulling the battery is just faster.

And pretty much every single claim or argument you have ever made has been undone by every other member in this forum time and time again, yet still you bring up the same tired points over and over again like we havn't all had this discussion before.
    08-28-11 04:35 PM
    I never have to pull my battery. Very rarely I do a reset by holding the power button and selecting reset. When an app is stuck or whatnot.

My Tour required a battery pull daily to recover memory and resolve lagginess.

I don't miss the battery pulls!
    Last edited by chrisy520; 08-28-11 at 05:01 PM.
    08-28-11 04:41 PM
    Thats a lie you do have to "pull" it, you just cant because its not user accessible, hence the reset buttons. The BB has those too but pulling the battery is just faster.

And pretty much every single claim or argument you have ever made has been undone by every other member in this forum time and time again, yet still you bring up the same tired points over and over again like we havn't all had this discussion before.
    And the BB boys will always claim the iPhone is a toy. This is 2011 not 2007. Pulling battery faster...you are truly an idi** my iPhone boots in about 45 secs compared to upwards of 5-10 Mins as some folks here claim time and time again. Please tell me what claim is undone
    iOS open source you bet. The base OS.
    Productivity on the iPhone you bet
    Full email in all of it's glory you bet.
    Better web. You bet.

Oops I stand corrected boot time is 37.1 secs from cold boot to full signal.

Please for the masses tell me where anything I have said about the iPhone has been undone.

6 BB's 4 Android's 2 iPhones I think I know what the heck I am talking about.

Please at least backup your claims with something because quite frankly you make yourself look like a fool.
    Last edited by Accidental Post; 08-28-11 at 05:29 PM.
    08-28-11 04:52 PM
    Oh wow, the long boot up time! I dreaded that! Forgot all about that!
    08-28-11 05:00 PM
    My 9000 takes a few minutes, not ten. I am wondering though, why would anyone care how long a phone takes to boot? Mine is on 24/7 and once it is set up then why would you need to reboot so often?

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    08-28-11 07:07 PM
    My Tour needed a Reboot daily to recover memory, fix laggy performance, after installing an app, to get rid of app error 523 (I think that was the code).

Not sure why it needed a reboot after app install. It just did. Android doesn't require that.

But yeah, I'd rather just leave my device on and not have to reboot.

08-28-11 07:25 PM
    I understand what you are saying but people that argue about how great the battery life is can't have it both ways. Either the battery is great and you don't need a spare or the battery is meh and you do need a spare in which case the ability to change them out is obviously awesome.
    I'm talking about the third option: battery life is great but when you're out and away from power for a while, as you said it's obviously awesome

But honestly though the amount of people who use a phone away from a power source for many hours (or days) are a very tiny percentage of smartphone users.

Personally, I don't care either way so long as my phone can last through the day doing what I want it to do without having to lug around an extra battery and/or charger with me.
    08-28-11 08:10 PM
    My 9000 takes a few minutes, not ten. I am wondering though, why would anyone care how long a phone takes to boot? Mine is on 24/7 and once it is set up then why would you need to reboot so often?

My old BB would freeze quite often... it didn't seem to like Socialscope at all. In any case, I had to do several battery pulls a day.

The boot time was a true killer. Between that and the pulls, I had a non-functioning device.
    08-28-11 08:13 PM
106 ... 2345
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD