The Man (ATT) Screwed me on my 3G upgrade last year. I was told that if I get a 3G instead of a 3GS (this was after 3gs came out, around july I believe). I would be eligible for an early upgrade at $99 and have to sign a 1 year contract... yeah right.
    Found out today it was an 18 month contact (2 year but eligible for early at 18 months with $18 for early upgrade).
    So, since I want to get off my sisters line either way I will be canceling my line and opening a new account. It wont cost the full $175 (I believe that was the price) I guess they take off 10% for every month you've stayed on the contract. I wasn't paying too much attention, but he told me it would come out to around $120 for me.
    So I cancel for $120, make a new line (this location is waiving activation fees), upgrade to new iPhone when it comes out. Rather than buying it outright and have it cost me an extra $200-300.
    03-17-10 10:19 PM
    So you didn't pay attention to what you signed originally and now your "not really paying attention" about your ETF. Smart.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    03-18-10 12:49 AM
    What are you talking about? I trusted them when they told me it was only a year contract, come to find out they lied, I no longer visit that location.
    If It turns out I end up having to pay $175 to cancel my line I'll say no as I was told otherwise.
    There's tons of smart asses here, we don't need another one.
    The reason I wasn't paying much attention to that is because my friend is doing the same thing and he already told me prior to me visiting the store on my lunch break that they are running a 10% off deal with cancellations.
    The only thing I didn't pay much attention to was whether it was 10% per month or just $10 per month.
    I've learned now to just not trust them.
    03-18-10 02:33 AM
    Never trust anything anyone says about a contract.
    People develop selective amnesia.
    Read and sign only if you understand every detail of the contract.

03-18-10 07:32 AM
    Never trust anything anyone says about a contract.
    People develop selective amnesia.
    Read and sign only if you understand every detail of the contract.

Well said. READ....then sign. AT&T will say "Sorry, the contract YOU signed says you had a 2-year agreement with a $175 ETF to decline $5 every month of paid service."
    Last edited by Totalimmortal363; 03-18-10 at 10:29 AM.
    03-18-10 10:26 AM
    You know, unfortunately that was a hard learned lesson.

I rented an apartment when I first came to America that did not allow me to keep pets. I didn't read it. Just signed. Got a cat, got evicted.

Hard lesson.

Read, then sign.
    03-18-10 10:36 AM
    I was raised by a lawyer for a father...

Even signing up for T-Ball he would make me read over every little thing.

Needless to say, +1 on the read than sign.
    03-19-10 09:23 AM
    The Man (ATT) Screwed me on my 3G upgrade last year. I was told that if I get a 3G instead of a 3GS (this was after 3gs came out, around july I believe). I would be eligible for an early upgrade at $99 and have to sign a 1 year contract... yeah right.
    Found out today it was an 18 month contact (2 year but eligible for early at 18 months with $18 for early upgrade).
    So, since I want to get off my sisters line either way I will be canceling my line and opening a new account. It wont cost the full $175 (I believe that was the price) I guess they take off 10% for every month you've stayed on the contract. I wasn't paying too much attention, but he told me it would come out to around $120 for me.
    So I cancel for $120, make a new line (this location is waiving activation fees), upgrade to new iPhone when it comes out. Rather than buying it outright and have it cost me an extra $200-300.

I think you deserved, it. And if i were a salesman you would be my dream customer. At&t doesn't care about you! they're never going to be there to help you out. Always go in getting what you can for yourself. Nice Guys Finish Last!!!
    03-19-10 10:30 AM
    first, this thread would be better in the At&t forum

second, am i gathering that you want to cancel your phone service, then go to another store and re-start it? that wont work unless its a different service, i hope you realize.

but also, regaurding the 3g vs 3gs, there is almost no difference between the phones, besides the fact that you can record video (which is not as useful as it sounds), and the 3g is slower, though barely noticably. so dont think you are really missing anything by not having a 3gs.
    03-19-10 11:35 AM
    first, this thread would be better in the At&t forum

second, am i gathering that you want to cancel your phone service, then go to another store and re-start it? that wont work unless its a different service, i hope you realize.
    WRONG

10 Char.
    03-19-10 11:38 AM
    WRONG

10 Char.
    whats wrong?
    03-19-10 11:52 AM
    Cancel, pay ETF, sign new contract, resume old account, buy new phone with new contract price.

End of story.
    03-19-10 11:53 AM
    I had a similar issue.. i was eligible to upgrade for a BB but not an iphone. My contract ends in Nov2010. But in dec 09 i upgraded to a bb then cancel that and got the iphone as a new line. paid the 199 for the 3gs. then I cancel that line for $175. because the iphone was gonna come out to 299.. blah.. in all I paid the $175+199 and no 2 yr additional contract on my line... plus the store manager gave me $10 credit for 6 months and 4000 rollover mins. was i happy ..yes... this left me to wait till Nov/2010.. hopefully by the new iphone is out and i'll get it.

It all depends how you treat the employees at the store. if your nasty.. forget it ..they wont help you .
    03-19-10 01:06 PM
    I can cancel, I'm on my sisters account as an additional line.
    I already talked to a different ATT store and they said I can do this. J
    I cancel me (Technically she has to cancel the line as she is the primary account holder) on HER line and I create my OWN individual line.
    03-19-10 05:58 PM
    Yes, you can cancel. You will pay the ETF. What an AT&T rep tells you has no bearing on the paperwork you sign.

I should say, you'll be billed the ETF. If you sister doesnt pay it, it will hinder her ability to add lines in the future
    Last edited by Totalimmortal363; 03-19-10 at 07:04 PM.
    03-19-10 07:02 PM
    Actually it's over the phone so I'm not signing much. She just has to call when I decide to open my own account and cancel for me and I'll give her cash or just add it to my last check I give her.
    03-19-10 07:57 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD