Ordered a black 32 gb for my wife. It will be her first smart phone and she should adapt quickly because she has recently started using an Ipad 2.

Tried to order on line from Verizon, but it would only let completed the transaction if I took the data package and the global package. I had to call and speak with a CS to complete the order properly. The CS said that it would be delivered by the 14th and that Verizon was having a lot of problems with the online ordering have errors. She had completed at least 70 transactions on Friday due to the online bugs/errors. She also said that the 16 gb phones were already back ordered prior to 6pm.
    10-08-11 10:46 PM
    Ordered a black 32 gb for my wife. It will be her first smart phone and she should adapt quickly because she has recently started using an Ipad 2.

Tried to order on line from Verizon, but it would only let completed the transaction if I took the data package and the global package. I had to call and speak with a CS to complete the order properly. The CS said that it would be delivered by the 14th and that Verizon was having a lot of problems with the online ordering have errors. She had completed at least 70 transactions on Friday due to the online bugs/errors. She also said that the 16 gb phones were already back ordered prior to 6pm.
    We ordered ours straight from the Apple site. I woke up at 6am EST and placed my husband's order first (you had to order 1 at a time). Then when I went to place my order, the credit card I used declined it (for fraud prevention), so I had to pay with my debit card instead. That was the only hiccup we had. We received the order confrimation emails with a delivery slated for 10/14.

Glad I woke up early to order them as I hear now there's like a 2 week wait.
    10-09-11 07:25 AM
    Eh, to play devil's advocate here:

1) Personal opinion, so no qualms.

2/3: The 4S does play into what looks like to be a regular cycle start: new design, upgraded design, new design, upgraded, etc. (think 3G to 3GS) It's not like they re-do other products over completely from year to year. That being said, it is an upgrade and a real one at that. Single to dual core, better camera, better internal tech...

For example, as a Torch 9800 owner, I consider the 9810 an upgrade to my phone. Yet, the only thing it is to my current phone is upgraded internals and a color change. So upgrades do not always have to be cosmetic in nature.

In terms of LTE, I think the problem here is multi-fold. First, chipsets are different and require separate chipsets for radio instead of one single chipset for 3G and 4G. That means you'd need a new logic board, which means complete internal re-design in a supposed upgraded design of a phone. Second, because of second radio and just because of how LTE is right now, battery life is not optimized yet. Most of the current LTE based phones get pretty crappy battery life when running LTE data. They're fine on 3G, but it kills your phone on LTE. I don't think Apple wants to push out a product where battery life is sub-par. Finally, network availability: it's really only Verizon in some areas. Sprint won't have it until mid-2012 and AT&T is just starting to roll out their network.

So, if you're Apple, your smart move is to wait until the iPhone5 to:

- Redesign your phone cosmetically
    - Redesign the internals
    - Wait until they have single chipsets to support all the radios you want (which they will by the end of this year if they haven't already)
    - Spend some time optimizing battery life for LTE
    - Wait until more people can actually use LTE

Just my thoughts on the matter
    My upgrade is in December, so i started looking. I really looking at something that will be a substantial upgrade from my s2. So I'm thinking lte. Even though in December I will have had my s2 for almost two years, it still does what I want it too. the other option is QNX.

I don't care about apps, only web and email. Android and webkit bb are both better than mobile safari.
    10-09-11 07:43 AM
    My upgrade is in December, so i started looking. I really looking at something that will be a substantial upgrade from my s2. So I'm thinking lte. Even though in December I will have had my s2 for almost two years, it still does what I want it too. the other option is QNX.

I don't care about apps, only web and email. Android and webkit bb are both better than mobile safari.
    wow I didnt know webkit bb browser was better than safari. Care to explain?
    10-09-11 11:33 AM
    wow I didnt know webkit bb browser was better than safari. Care to explain?
    Mobile safari does not have an upload/download button. When I played with playbook, I believe I was able to upload and download files.

This alone is a major annoyance imo, along with lack of flash.
    10-09-11 11:53 AM
    Mobile safari does not have an upload/download button. When I played with playbook, I believe I was able to upload and download files.

This alone is a major annoyance imo, along with lack of flash.
    My bad thought we were talking about the iPhone 4S browser vs a BB Phone browser since this is a thread about the Iphone
    10-09-11 01:37 PM
    My bad thought we were talking about the iPhone 4S browser vs a BB Phone browser since this is a thread about the Iphone
    No, I had made a comment about why I didn't consider the iphone 4s to be enough of an upgrade for me.

Sorry for the confusion.
    10-09-11 02:09 PM

I think with an upgrade in December with Verizon as a carrier, LTE would be the way to go to have as much of a future-proof phone as you can, especially as Verizon has the largest advantage in the LTE field and you keep your phones for a while anyway it seems.

Like I said, not sure on battery life optimization yet on Android devices running LTE, but in theory it would get better over time through software updates.

Me personally I'm fine with HSPA+ devices now because I update every year anyway and AT&T won't roll out 4G LTE to my area until the end of 2012 most likely (which is in time for another phone, hey!)

So yeah, that's the beauty of phones: no one device fits all. Based on your criteria and situation, a nice new LTE Android would hit the spot. Perhaps a QNX BlackBerry if and only if they have an LTE based one for Verizon, especially if you want/require LTE on your phone.
    i7guy likes this.
    10-09-11 07:04 PM
33 12
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD