Ok so I been reading a lot about jailbreaking and I'm waiting for the 4.1 jb to come out. Almost all the sites I read talk about saving shsh.... What is that? From what i understand you only save this when you jailbroken?
    Could someone explain me this?
    Regular human language please ( not to tech ) lol

Thanks.
    09-16-10 08:57 PM
    SHSH is short for "signature hash." When you install firmware on the iPhone, it checks with Apple for the signature hash for your device. If it doesn't find it, it doesn't install the firmware. If you have the SHSH stored somewhere else, you can tell iTunes to look there instead.

That's why once Apple stops signing a particular firmware version, you can't downgrade unless you have you SHSH stored somewhere. For example, if you have you 4.0.1 SHSH blobs stored somewhere, you can safely upgrade to 4.1 with no fear of not being able to downgrade should the need arise.
    Last edited by Roo Zilla; 09-16-10 at 09:19 PM.
    09-16-10 09:15 PM
    To add on to Roo Zilla's explanation, saving your SHSH blob allows you to downgrade firmware. For example, if you have a iOS device running 4.1 right now, attempting to install iOS 4.01 would fail because it needs to be signed by Apple before installing. With a 4.01 blob saved, all you'd have to do is block Apple's signature check server and point it at the saved SHSH to bypass the check, allowing you to downgrade your firmware.
    09-16-10 09:18 PM
    Thanks for the explanation guys. Now do you save shsh or blobs once jb or you could do that anytime? Also where does it save? On the phone itself or on my laptop.

Thanks
    09-16-10 11:25 PM
    Cydia will store SHSH blobs for you, so you have to be jailbroken. It saves on Cydia's servers or you can save it locally. Tiny umbrella will also do it.
    09-16-10 11:39 PM
    Its only really helpful if you want to downgrade (say you accidentally upgrade to a new version without a jailbreak available and want to go back to jailbroken on the older OS version).

I suggest saving it anyways for the heck of it (you never know what will happen), but Ive never really used them. I only update once the jailbreak is out.
    09-17-10 12:08 AM
    Cool guys thanks for all the great info and the help.... so once JB 4.1 comes i'll save it... just for the heck of it like stuaw mentioned
    09-17-10 01:56 PM
    Whats SHSH?
    Multiple people telling you to stfu and stop talking on your iPhone in a movie theater.
    09-17-10 11:43 PM
    I thought there was an app fo that lol

Multiple people telling you to stfu and stop talking on your iPhone in a movie theater.
    09-18-10 01:43 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD