07-09-12 04:40 PM
33 12
tools
    Apple gets another preliminary injunction against an Android offering, this time against the Galaxy Nexus. Same story, just on a different device. The patent war still rages and it seems Apple is not done.

Meanwhile Android phones continue to dominate against the Iphone. Which begs the question: why go through all the trouble? I admit I have been on Apple's case for a long time but this is really getting out of hand.

While I don't foresee Apple succumbing to such tactics when BB10 launches, I still think Apple could have that class bully attitude against RIM. To be honest, buying more of RIM's products would help put pressure on Apple, and if anyone reading this feels that Apple is wrong to pursue such tactics, you should vote with your dollars.

Sent from my BlackBerry 9780 using Tapatalk
    07-02-12 10:48 AM
    Apple cares about Android, it has no concern over BB10. This is the smartphone business.
    07-02-12 10:54 AM
    Or do they? What if Windows and RIM surpass Apple one day? Would they be singing a different tune then?

07-02-12 10:58 AM
    From what we know of BB10 so far, I think it's going to be completely different than anything the iPhone offers. IMHO they're going to be hard-pressed to sue, unless it's something like how they sued HTC regarding the feature that opens up dialer/text/email/etc by pressing a link in a website (or whatever that was, my mind's a bit fuzzy on the details) that held up the One X and Evo LTE.
    Just Me and RetroAndreas like this.
    07-02-12 11:02 AM
    Apple gets another preliminary injunction against an Android offering, this time against the Galaxy Nexus. Same story, just on a different device. The patent war still rages and it seems Apple is not done.

Meanwhile Android phones continue to dominate against the Iphone. Which begs the question: why go through all the trouble? I admit I have been on Apple's case for a long time but this is really getting out of hand.

While I don't foresee Apple succumbing to such tactics when BB10 launches, I still think Apple could have that class bully attitude against RIM. To be honest, buying more of RIM's products would help put pressure on Apple, and if anyone reading this feels that Apple is wrong to pursue such tactics, you should vote with your dollars.

I am having a tough time trying to comprehend this post. The bolded part makes it seem like you think Apple should give up and go out of business. What?
    07-02-12 11:02 AM
    Those who live by the sword will die by the sword, is all I am saying.

07-02-12 11:05 AM
    Apple pisses me just by existing. It has been that way since about 1977 when they stole The Beatles name of Apple.
    07-02-12 11:16 AM
    Almost as relevant as my AT&T thread that got bombarded.
    07-02-12 11:23 AM
    Almost as relevant as my AT&T thread that got bombarded.
    Yep, life's a b!^<h. I'm with you here.
    07-02-12 11:29 AM
    I figured so too, but some way or another this has to be said, people have to know what Apple is trying to do. I could live with them producing more innovative software for Iphones, why do they have to pursue litigation while doing next to nothing to make their phones better than the usual housekeeping upgrades?

This is appalling and if no one wants to come out and say this, I'm gonna.

07-02-12 11:31 AM

Dude, Motorola got an injunction against iCloud in Germany, and against a bunch of MS products, including the XBox. Even worse, they got them on FRAND patents. Samsung, HTC are all suing Apple.

That is the nature of this industry. And it has been going on since before Apple ever entered the fray. The only reason you are hearing about it is because Apple entering the market brought the whole tech media to it.

For example, RIM was suing, being sued by, 3 different entities in 2003.

Research In Motion - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

They had a long history of patent fighting while the iPod was still Mac only.

These are all corporate games these guys play in an attempt to jockey for leverage. They aren't being Evil, or Bad. It's just the nature of the business. Unfortunately, the consumer, and smaller businesses suffer, but the issue needs to be resolved by changing laws, and not railing at companies doing what they need to do.
    jclif likes this.
    07-02-12 11:33 AM
    Once Google is granted their notification patent Apple is screwed. iOS notification center is a complete Android rip and there is no denying that.

If the judges don't ban iPhone sales when this happens, then their is something seriously wrong.

I love Apple products (I own a lot, typing this from a MBP), but until Apple stops this garbage I will not buy another Apple product ever again. And I know Apple isn't the only one doing it, but they are the most successful at killing off competition through the patent system. That $100 billion must help.

Better yet, reform the patent system because it is hurting consumers more than it is hurting companies wallets.
    Last edited by avt123; 07-02-12 at 12:41 PM.
    bungaboy and RetroAndreas like this.
    07-02-12 12:37 PM
    The whole patent wars are aggravating as all get out. Even the most basic features of smartphones have patents these days? Want to touch the screen? Oh, someone has a patent for that! Want to make a phone call? Someone has a patent for that too! Have a drop down notification menu? Oh, better watch out! App icons? Better not use them!

It really is ridiculous that such basic, standard features are being approved for patents. Next thing we know, Apple will be suing Google because their employees breath and type on a computer at the same time. Oh, they are also an IT company? We have the patent for being an IT company!
    kbz1960 and bungaboy like this.
    07-02-12 12:38 PM

Our weekly obligatory I hate Apple thread. How original and refreshing.
    07-02-12 02:09 PM
    I figured so too, but some way or another this has to be said, people have to know what Apple is trying to do. I could live with them producing more innovative software for Iphones, why do they have to pursue litigation while doing next to nothing to make their phones better than the usual housekeeping upgrades?

This is appalling and if no one wants to come out and say this, I'm gonna.

If it was Apple violating somebody else's patents I'm fairly certain you would post about that as well, just to have a dig. Apple are obligated to defend their intellectual property and if another manufacturer's found to be violating it a judge has a legal obligation to grant an injunction. The law is the law, we may not like it but it is what it is. The only way to change this is to revamp the entire patent/IP/trademark laws.

The $600,000,000 + payout RIM had to make to NTP for patent violations was the largest settlement in history against a Canadian company, they violated IP and paid the price to ultimately avoid an injunction, they all do it. Sue and be sued is the name of the game. Settle if you're on the losing end.
    Last edited by xandermac; 07-02-12 at 09:23 PM.
    07-02-12 09:17 PM
    If it was Apple violating somebody else's patents I'm fairly certain you would post about that as well, just to have a dig. Apple are obligated to defend their intellectual property and if another manufacturer's found to be violating it a judge has a legal obligation to grant an injunction. The law is the law, we may not like it but it is what it is. The only way to change this is to revamp the entire patent/IP/trademark laws.

The $600,000,000 + payout RIM had to make to NTP for patent violations was the largest settlement in history against a Canadian company, they violated IP and paid the price to ultimately avoid an injunction, they all do it. Sue and be sued is the name of the game. Settle if you're on the losing end.

Last I checked, Apple seem to have taken inspiration from Google for the notification bar and for widgets within the bar.

Defending patents are fine but it is defending them for competitive reasons that irks me a little. So now, every thing that uses a touch screen is stealing then? How far does this go?
    Last edited by Speedygi; 07-02-12 at 09:34 PM.
    07-02-12 09:31 PM
    Last I checked, Apple seem to have taken inspiration from Google for the notification bar and for widgets within the bar.
    Not going to argue about that and if they're not currently being sued over it, it's just a matter of time.

It is what it is. They're all involved. If singling out Apple helps more power to you. Fight the good fight, my Man.
    07-02-12 09:34 PM
    Not going to argue about that and if they're not currently being sued over it, it's just a matter of time.

It is what it is. They're all involved. If singling out Apple helps more power to you. Fight the good fight, my Man.

Yeap, Touche.

Oh yeah, Apple's gotten a lot of things done that left a sour taste in my mouth especially lately. I mean, they deserve the criticism on all accounts, while delivering some fantastic products as well.

I want to embrace Apple very much as a wholehearted supporter of all their offerings, but they have apparently done a lot of stuff that I felt made little sense or just didn't feel right. Consumers are suffering because of all these injunctions and it has to stop somewhere.

I don't think any tech company has made me more upset than Apple has, and I don't get upset easily over tech.
    Last edited by Speedygi; 07-02-12 at 09:49 PM.
    07-02-12 09:46 PM
    Why should Apple worry about a product that probably will never be released?
    07-07-12 10:38 AM
    Why should Apple worry about a product that probably will never be released?
    Or is it a product they hope will never be released?
    07-07-12 11:02 AM
    Based on forecasts, I would say it probably won't be released. RIM is too far behind the curve for Apple or even Android to worry about them.......
    07-07-12 02:46 PM
    Based on forecasts, I would say it probably won't be released. RIM is too far behind the curve for Apple or even Android to worry about them.......
    I hope they don't. Then they can repeat what RIM did by not worrying about apple or android.
    07-07-12 03:29 PM
    No RIM competitor in the market today is concerned with Blackberry 10.

And yeah, iOS notification center is a straight Android ripoff.
    07-07-12 05:23 PM
    For the industry, I hope BB10 releases and then maybe Apple would innovate just a little more. Right now, everything revolves around Apple and if they start quickening the gears the whole industry would have to follow suit quick . Just a speculation.
    07-07-12 07:03 PM
    Once Google is granted their notification patent Apple is screwed. iOS notification center is a complete Android rip and there is no denying that.

If the judges don't ban iPhone sales when this happens, then their is something seriously wrong.

I love Apple products (I own a lot, typing this from a MBP), but until Apple stops this garbage I will not buy another Apple product ever again. And I know Apple isn't the only one doing it, but they are the most successful at killing off competition through the patent system. That $100 billion must help.

Better yet, reform the patent system because it is hurting consumers more than it is hurting companies wallets.
    Patents can't grant retroactive protection can they? If google doesn't already have their notifications protected, there's nothing they can do about Apple's notification center.
    07-08-12 08:51 AM
33 12
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD