I found this interesting, thought perhaps other iphone users might also. I've returned to my Bold 9000 as my main phone but, I use my 3GS on another line (I may stop now?).

Link: Steve Jobs Is Watching You: Apple Seeking to Patent Spyware | Electronic Frontier Foundation
    08-30-10 12:01 AM
    This been out for a while now. It obviously hasn't been implemented yet. The most likely use for the technology is security. The system can use biometrics to determine whether the user is authorized or not. In the event it is not, it can perform various functions like recording his/her voice or taking his/her picture.

I strongly doubt Apple has any desire to keep voice recordings and pictures of a potential 100 million plus users. They may want to keep track of your money spending habits once the iPhone becomes a cash transfer device so they can target ads at you. This I fully expect in over the next few years. It's no big deal though, it's not much different than what your bank or credit card company is already doing.
    08-30-10 12:22 AM
    as you state banking institutions and credit card companies all ready do it. But this is Steve Jobs and Apple. It's bad enough that we have had to surreneder our rights to privacy since 9-11 for our nations safety sake. Now with universal health care over the horizon and our medical records also becoming records of our goverment. It becomes un-nerving that Mr. Jobs and his empire can take photos and whatever else on a whim (no court documents) only a patent to spy at will. I am not willing to give in to that at all. Our privacy is too transparent already.
    Last edited by Gadgetteer; 08-30-10 at 01:49 AM.
    08-30-10 01:17 AM
    as you state banking institutions and credit card companies all ready do it. But this is Steve Jobs and Apple. It's bad enough that we have had to surreneder our rights to privacy since 9-11 for our nations safety sake. Now with universal health care over the horizon and our medical records also becoming records of our goverment. It becomes un-nerving that Mr. Jobs and his empire can takes photos and whatever else on a whim (no court documents) only a patent to spy at will. I am not willing to give in to that at all. Our privacy is too transparent already.
    On 9/11/01, I was in Manhattan, about 3 miles from the site. In a couple of weeks I will be attending a memorial, as I have every year since the tragedy. I know what you're talking about. We have lost a lot of our freedoms since that day, and I'm not sure if we're ever going to get them back. Look at the nonsense going on now in Manhattan.

There are however, still limits to what information private companies can collect from you without your consent. If indeed in the near future, the purchase of an iPhone gives de facto consent to Apple to spy on me, I too will not be buying. I agree, there have been serious breeches in our privacy the past 9 years or so, and I will no longer consent to anything that I consider additional intrusions into my privacy.
    08-30-10 01:33 AM
    pretty nuts, and scary. Some of it is good, but most of that is bad...
    08-30-10 01:47 AM
    and I agree with you, I won't agree to any further intrusions into my privacy either.
    Thanks for your replys.
    08-30-10 01:53 AM
    Hate to say it, but the OP sounds like they are a little on the fringe when it comes to a world view. This is not something that I will ever worry about.
    08-30-10 12:31 PM
    Any society that would give up a little liberty to gain a little security will deserve neither and lose both
    B Franklin
    09-01-10 07:30 AM
    Apple has always been very closed guarded with its devices, it is just now people has started to frame all situations as Apple trying to conspire against anyone and everyone.
    09-01-10 11:43 AM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD