09-15-12 03:49 PM
    That would be multitasking.
    09-15-12 03:55 PM
    Can the 9930 do both voice and data WITHOUT WIFI? Perhaps a CDMA deficiency.
    http://forums.crackberry.com/sprint-...9930-a-657176/
    09-15-12 03:57 PM
    The OP is an Apple fanboy, all he does is post about Apple.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
    09-15-12 04:01 PM
    That would be multitasking.
    i'm just surprised apple did not add another antenna .
    09-15-12 04:34 PM
    It only applies to CDMA networks. Traditionally CDMA phones couldn't do voice and data at the same time; GSM networks could. Some LTE phones can do voice and data while on CDMA thanks to the extra antenna. It all depends on what chipset the manufacturer chooses to use.
    09-15-12 08:42 PM
    Yep, if I understand correctly, it is a CDMA shortcoming. Can be done on GSM devices. 4G allows it t be done on enabled devices; I could do it on the old EVO, but used the feature rarely.

From what I understand (layman), the 4G chip in the CDMA iP5 does not allow for it. No biggie.
    09-15-12 09:57 PM
    I can do it on my iPhone on AT&T. And I have to say that I have only used it a couple of times.

Sent from my iPhone 4S using Tapatalk
    09-15-12 10:45 PM
    I can do it on my iPhone on AT&T. And I have to say that I have only used it a couple of times.
    Yes because AT&T's 2G network was GSM and GSM allows for simultaneous voice and data. Sprint and Verizon use CDMA for their 2G networks which cannot do voice and data at the same time.
    09-15-12 11:39 PM
    It's a tradeoff. Apple could have added another antenna and supply a second transmitter to enable simultaneous voice and data for CDMA networks. This however, would have had one of two or both side effects. It could have made the iPhone bigger, or the iPhone would have supported fewer LTE bands. The space savings from not having to install a second Tx chain allows them to install more power amps which allows the iPhone to support more LTE bands. Most LTE phones as of today support only one or two bands and are customized for the regions and/or carriers where they are sold. Look at the Samsung S3 as an example. The ATT version supports 700 and 1700, Verizon version supports only 700, Sprint version supports only 1900. As we all know by now, Apple really likes to go with a single design for ALL iPhones of a single model, for example, every iPhone 4S has internally identical hardware with small variations on where the memory or screen was sourced. I think most people won't be too inconvenienced by this lack of functionality, since none of the previous iPhones supported simultaneous voice and data on CDMA networks. Once Voice Over LTE is supported by both the networks and iPhone, the issue will go away.
    09-15-12 11:54 PM
    Yep, if I understand correctly, it is a CDMA shortcoming. Can be done on GSM devices. 4G allows it t be done on enabled devices; I could do it on the old EVO, but used the feature rarely.

From what I understand (layman), the 4G chip in the CDMA iP5 does not allow for it. No biggie.
    from what I understand the issue is that no one is doing voice over lte. they are using lte for data only at this time. so if you do voice and data together on att your iphone drops to gsm which of course does voice/data together. if on verizon you drop to cdma (evdo based). so it really is not the phone - its more the same old cdma limitation.

some android devices work around it by using an additional antenna so that one antenna does voice on cdma and the other locks to lte for data. point being it is not like there are phones that are using all lte and somehow the iphone does not. and the two antenna deal is like having two phones so yeah anyone could do that if they wanted the battery hit.

Sent from my BlackBerry Runtime for Android Apps using Tapatalk 2
    Last edited by southlander; 09-16-12 at 12:51 AM.
    09-16-12 12:45 AM
    I can use data while on a call with LTE. I've only tried it a few times since I'm not in an LTE area.

Galaxy Nexus on VZW.
    09-16-12 06:57 PM
    I can use data while on a call with LTE. I've only tried it a few times since I'm not in an LTE area.

Galaxy Nexus on VZW.
    The Galaxy Nexus has the third antenna needed to have voice and data working at the same time on CDMA networks.
    09-16-12 09:00 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD