Ok, so I was about to preorder the iPhone 3Gs, then I get a call from my friend that she wants to sell her white iPhone 16G for $250. That sounds like a good deal to me. So if I buy this phone and update it when Apple releases the new update, how different will it be from the new one? Is it worth me buying this phone from my friend? HELP. Thanks.
    06-13-09 07:36 PM
    I think so, just make sure you can update the software on the 19th to get all the updates like landscape...
    06-13-09 07:40 PM
    Ok, so I was about to preorder the iPhone 3Gs, then I get a call from my friend that she wants to sell her white iPhone 16G for $250. That sounds like a good deal to me. So if I buy this phone and update it when Apple releases the new update, how different will it be from the new one? Is it worth me buying this phone from my friend? HELP. Thanks.

Software wise - no difference, System wise 3Gs is internally different than the 3G.
    06-13-09 08:59 PM
    It won't be as fast or have as good of battery life, and it also won't have video recording, the compass features, video editing, or voice control.
    06-13-09 09:04 PM
    You can go to the apple site and they have a comparison chart. The 3Gs is supposed to be faster and have a few more features (as listed above) like video recording/editing, compass and voice command.

Here's my question for you. What price do you have to pay for the 3Gs? Obviously, not 199 since you are considering buying a 3G for 250. So it's either 399 or 599.
    06-13-09 09:54 PM
    You can go to the apple site and they have a comparison chart. The 3Gs is supposed to be faster and have a few more features (as listed above) like video recording/editing, compass and voice command.

Here's my question for you. What price do you have to pay for the 3Gs? Obviously, not 199 since you are considering buying a 3G for 250. So it's either 399 or 599.
    Exactly. It's pretty much down to whether or not you think $399 of $599 is worth it to get those extra features. The 3.0 update covers the core of what's new, so all the other 3GS features are icing on the cake.
    06-14-09 10:18 AM
    Definitely worth it if it's in mint condition. I'm selling mine that's only a couple of months old, excellent condition for $400... so for $150 less, that's a good deal.

I think the differences are major IMO, but it's definitely up to the user to decide.

Speed increases in: accessing/using applications, browsing, streaming (less hiccups if any) and more are all worth it to me. Loading pictures will be faster (downloading from email) and data in general will be faster.

Video + Editing and then being able to send it straight to YouTube is pretty awesome to me. I don't even take videos or watch YouTube much.

Bottom line: It will be up to you to determine if it's worth it for you.
    06-14-09 12:02 PM
    I'd pass... get the "S"
    06-14-09 03:47 PM
    i think thats a pretty good deal if you dont qualify for the 199 price. plus, you wont be tied up with a 2 year contract on top of all that.
    06-14-09 05:11 PM
    Thanks all for your opinions. I dont qualify for an upgrade so Im looking at $599 but what I think Im going to do is use my husband's upgrade (his line qualifies for an upgrade next month) to get the iPhone 3Gs and then switch it to my number, I think I need to get the "s" or else Im going to obsess over it.
    06-14-09 08:08 PM
    Thanks all for your opinions. I dont qualify for an upgrade so Im looking at $599 but what I think Im going to do is use my husband's upgrade (his line qualifies for an upgrade next month) to get the iPhone 3Gs and then switch it to my number, I think I need to get the "s" or else Im going to obsess over it.
    Haha! I know exactly how you feel. It would be a complete waste if you had his upgrade, but settled for a 3G instead. I hope you enjoy the 3GS when you get it!
    06-14-09 08:17 PM
    Thanks, thank God for his upgrade and the fact that he is happy with his curve and has no desire to get a new phone. So I can use the upgrade. WooHoo.
    06-14-09 08:20 PM
    ATT announced that they are changing the upgrade status for most customers and it will show starting tomorrow. I would check back before I do anything. Also the prices are changing for upgrades also due to complaints from customers.
    06-17-09 08:30 PM
    Well i have to be the one to break the bad news, AT&T is much more advanced then you think, I tried to do the same thing and they told me no, flat out no cutting corners. Apple wont allow it, AT&T is much smarter then sprint.

Granted maybe someone will pull strings for you, but dont get your hopes up.

I have the new OS, and im just waiting to get the new Jailbreak software, and i will have just as much as the "S" - the vid editing.
    06-18-09 03:54 AM
    Do you mean I wont be able to use my husband's upgrade for an iphone for my line? That AT&T wont let me switch??
    06-18-09 07:48 PM
    Well i have to be the one to break the bad news, AT&T is much more advanced then you think, I tried to do the same thing and they told me no, flat out no cutting corners. Apple wont allow it, AT&T is much smarter then sprint.

Granted maybe someone will pull strings for you, but dont get your hopes up.

I have the new OS, and im just waiting to get the new Jailbreak software, and i will have just as much as the "S" - the vid editing.
    Uhm. AT&T let me. No questions asked. They even asked me if I was going to use the iPhone on that line and she said that was no problem and that she would set it up for me. Hmm....not sure why they wouldn't let you.
    06-18-09 08:00 PM
    Do you mean I wont be able to use my husband's upgrade for an iphone for my line? That AT&T wont let me switch??
    You SHOULD be able to. AT&T let me. Granted, they might have changed the policy. I doubt it though considering I did this about 40 days ago. Even if they do, you can change the SIM cards and you could call and simply say you bought it from eBay or something, or that a friend bought it for you. There are ways to get what you want. Good luck with it. Let me know how it goes.
    06-18-09 08:02 PM
    Thank you so much, I have two additional lines on my account (aside from mine), both are due for an upgrade within the next couple of weeks, instead of upgrading my husband's line, I think Im just going to upgrade my moms. She had a basic, bottom of the barrel phone that she just uses for calls, no texting or emailing, I will switch the sim and then attempt to make the changes online to the plan online. Wish me luck, I will keep you posted.
    06-18-09 08:08 PM
    You're welcome. PM me if you have any questions. But before you try switching the SIM card, go to the store and see if they will allow you to use your mom's upgrade for an iPhone and if they say no. Just say thanks, walk out knowing your going to get that iPhone either way it goes. If the store won't let you, either make the switches online or over the phone.
    06-18-09 08:11 PM
    I was going to order the phone online. I already attempted to do it and they said I had to sign up for a data package also, what I was going to do was order the phone online, activate it under her account, then switch the sim card and do the data plan switches online. Do you suggest I go in the store instead?? Thanks again for your help.
    06-18-09 08:23 PM
    Yes. I would suggest it in the store. Becuase I know you HAVE to have the data plan with an iPhone and I'm not too sure how hard it would be to change her device online. I know if you did it online and then called when you switched the SIM and read them the IMEI number from her phone they could do it. If you are going to do it online, call after you make the switch to get everything straightened out. You're welcome.
    06-18-09 08:35 PM
    Ok, I will try the store first. Wish me luck.
    06-18-09 08:50 PM
    Alright. Good luck!
    06-18-09 08:52 PM
    Yes, you should be able to. As long as you're signing a two year with a contract, they don't care what line you're using it on, as long as the line you are using it on has the correct plan.

Enjoy your iPhone.
    06-18-09 11:36 PM
    Thanks Duvi. Greatly appreciate it. I will let you guys know how the transaction goes
    06-19-09 08:04 AM
26 12
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD