Where's your data to backup your "most users carry it in a case" theory?
    Steve Jobs put it at over 80% during the Antennagate news conference.
    03-18-11 06:56 PM
    No they don't. It's fun only once you accept that a case is essential and you just pick which one. It should not be essential, just work for what it was designed right out of the box.

Reviews of the iPhone should put it in a case when photographing and measuring it against other phones because that's how it's intended to be used. Apple's ads also should depict the iPhone in a case, since they already anticipate the majority of users to use it and are even selling their own.
    I had just as many cases for EVERY phone I've ever owned as I do for my iPhone. I like to keep my phones mint for resale. the iPhone does work naked... loss in service not loss in use, and not everyone experiences the antenna problems... just sayin.
    03-18-11 07:31 PM
    I'm no match for JD Powers, but I'm only asking a simple question: If the iPhone is so well designed, why do most users carry it in a case?
    It may be because they gave away cases for free in part.

Heck, if I bought a phone and they said they'd give me a case for free I would get a free case whether I carried it in it or not.

Here's a simple question for you, if it's so poorly designed then why does it have so high a customer satisfaction rating?
    03-18-11 09:36 PM
    It may be because they gave away cases for free in part.
    No, in that talk about the antenna he explains that iPhone users use cases anyway, over 80% of them; then he says that because of that Apple has decided to offer its own case.

Here's a simple question for you, if it's so poorly designed then why does it have so high a customer satisfaction rating?
    I didn't say the iPhone wasn't a good phone. I think it's the best in the "superphone" category and it's definitely the most stylish.

But in consumer product design there is always tension between aesthetics and usability, and Apple tilts heavily toward aesthetics while letting users get by with cases.

I've said earlier in the thread that the iPhone design is more of a marketing achievement than actual good design. That is the point I'm making. To tie it back to the OP, how do we explain the situation where people perceive this as good design and even believe it feels good in the hand, but still use it in a case. I think it's an interesting question.
    03-18-11 10:20 PM
    No, in that talk about the antenna he explains that iPhone users use cases anyway, over 80% of them; then he says that because of that Apple has decided to offer its own case.
    Still... that 80% statistic (which still could be made up..) can be explained in more than one way. "bad design" is just the only one you seem to want to consider.

But in consumer product design there is always tension between aesthetics and usability, and Apple tilts heavily toward aesthetics while letting users get by with cases.
    I disagree. Do you think this is the case with the iphone 1? 3g? 3gs?

I've said earlier in the thread that the iPhone design is more of a marketing achievement than actual good design. That is the point I'm making. To tie it back to the OP, how do we explain the situation where people perceive this as good design and even believe it feels good in the hand, but still use it in a case. I think it's an interesting question.
    I think the answer to your question is that people put phones in cases for other reasons than to improve the feel in your hand.

I can think of at least one or two legitimate reasons to put a case on a phone when it feels good in your hand without it. Can you?
    03-18-11 10:31 PM
    Still... that 80% statistic (which still could be made up..) can be explained in more than one way. "bad design" is just the only one you seem to want to consider.
    Steve Jobs saying this is enough for me, and I see this around me every day. I really wish you put forward one original thought instead of resorting to inane skepticism.

Why do people feel compelled to add another layer on top of something so well designed?

I disagree. Do you think this is the case with the iphone 1? 3g? 3gs?
    That's just a fundamental challenge in design. What are you disagreeing with?

I think older iPhones had better ergonomics, though even they had severe shortcomings like terrible battery life that required users to tether their supposedly mobile device to a stationary power source at any given chance.

I think the answer to your question is that people put phones in cases for other reasons than to improve the feel in your hand.

I can think of at least one or two legitimate reasons to put a case on a phone when it feels good in your hand without it. Can you?
    What are those reasons? Defective antenna, glass body, slippery surface. The fun of accessorizing comes after acceptance of the need for a case.
    03-18-11 11:16 PM
    Steve Jobs saying this is enough for me, and I see this around me every day. I really wish you put forward one original thought instead of resorting to inane skepticism.
    So you trust Steve Jobs that much? Odd.

I'm not the one who is making the claim here - you are. You are making the claim that it's "bad design" and just repeating one statistic as if it proves something without actually backing it up or any real explanation as to how it proves your point.

Why do people feel compelled to add another layer on top of something so well designed?
    People have answered this question before. Odd that you haven't paid attention to those reasons - or you just ignored them.

What are those reasons? Defective antenna, glass body, slippery surface. The fun of accessorizing comes after acceptance of the need for a case.
    None of the above. One is that ALL phones are not designed to handle being dropped and can break or scratch when dropped and when you pay over $200 some people do want some protection even if the phone isn't slippery.

You simply can't think past your tunnel vision that the ONLY reason why someone would want a case is because it's slippery (when many on this thread have shown that this is not a universal opinion), or that it's "a bad design" or that it's uncomfortable (which, is also not something that has been shown to be universal by any stretch).

You really just have a subjective opinion and that is fine - just admit it. Don't pretend that you've actually proven that it's a bad design objectively by any stretch of the imagination.

I admit that the antenna issue is a flaw - although it was overblown simply due to the magnitude of the iphone 4 release.

Slipperiness... well, I don't think it's all that slippery.

Comfort... I find it pretty comfortable and many don't have a problem in this regard, but again - pretty subjective. You may not... and that's fine.
    03-18-11 11:33 PM
    I'm no match for JD Powers, but I'm only asking a simple question: If the iPhone is so well designed, why do most users carry it in a case?
    I wonder if it's not just the iPhone, but touchscreen devices in general.
    Owing to their design (big glass touchscreen), they need protection.
    Unlike a plastic device.

This is one of the trade offs you spoke of earlier.
    Which works fine for me. I'm a function over form type of person
    What it does is more important than how it looks.
    And I like what it does.
    03-18-11 11:40 PM
    ^^^^ The iPhone wasn't made for boys. lol
    I agree with this!!!! So much!!! I've never put my blackberry on a case or any of my phones. I use a belt clip to carry it, that's it. I'm always VERY careful with my phones. I don't drop them, I don't use them when I can't hold them securely. All my life, I've only dropped one phone. My Venus..it was just fine. If you can keep your phone safe..in a pocket, secure in your hands..then you need a bubble for your phone!!!!

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    03-19-11 12:55 AM
    I wonder if it's not just the iPhone, but touchscreen devices in general.
    Owing to their design (big glass touchscreen), they need protection.
    Unlike a plastic device.

This is one of the trade offs you spoke of earlier.
    Which works fine for me. I'm a function over form type of person
    What it does is more important than how it looks.
    And I like what it does.
    I think the primary driver behind 4" display Android devices is actually the need for a larger battery. A size increase disguised behind a large screen can be seen as a net benefit to the user, if they accept this form factor.

But Apple is sticking to the same form factor and had to address battery life by pushing the antenna out so it can fit in a larger battery. This helped battery life at the expense of reception, and if it forces users to use a case, then the size problem just manifests itself differently now.

In all, there is no "magical" design here but a continuing process of dealing with inherent limitations of the form factor, more of a shift in tradeoffs.

03-19-11 01:13 PM
    No they don't.
    Do you have evidence to back this up? Everyone I know who still owns a BB also uses a case. Most people I see using a BB is also using a case.

I think the fact is, that a ton of smartphone owners in general use cases.
    03-19-11 02:56 PM
    I think the primary driver behind 4" display Android devices is actually the need for a larger battery. A size increase disguised behind a large screen can be seen as a net benefit to the user, if they accept this form factor.

But Apple is sticking to the same form factor and had to address battery life by pushing the antenna out so it can fit in a larger battery. This helped battery life at the expense of reception, and if it forces users to use a case, then the size problem just manifests itself differently now.

In all, there is no "magical" design here but a continuing process of dealing with inherent limitations of the form factor, more of a shift in tradeoffs.

Yes, BUT... The 80% quote from Steve Jobs you cited earlier was likely an existing statistic that predated the external antenna on the iP4.
    People were already likely to use a case because:
    a. It's a slab of glass.
    b. It's an expensive device. Better to protect it than pay for it twice.
    c. Personalization.

I see what you're saying though.
    It's as if Apple is achieving the 'thinner, lighter' mantra by abdicating that aspect of the iphones design to the end user.
    That's not a bad thing. It's just a design choice by a manufacturer.
    If consumers thought it was a bad idea, they wouldn't buy it.

I don't think Apple intentionally took this a step further, with an antenna design that might DEMAND a case.
    If they had, they would've been ready for negative media, rather thah reacting to it.
    Why counter bad publicity, when you can avoid or deflect it altogether right out of the gate?
    Apple is NOT media stupid.
    Last edited by LazyStarGazer; 03-19-11 at 04:42 PM.
    03-19-11 04:38 PM
    I see what you're saying though.
    It's as if Apple is achieving the 'thinner, lighter' mantra by abdicating that aspect of the iphones design to the end user.
    That's not a bad thing. It's just a design choice by a manufacturer.
    If consumers thought it was a bad idea, they wouldn't buy it.

Yes, that's all I'm saying.

It grates to hear talks of "magical" design when what it really means is that Apple leaves worrying about practicality to other manufacturers while it chooses beautiful designs that need to be encased.

I realize that what matters is that it sells, and it probably does because the first impressions of the device from posters, reviews and on the counter in a store count the most. Then it goes in some cheap rubber case.

What I would have liked Apple to do is to design some practicality into the product. Nothing fits better than what comes in stock form.
    03-19-11 11:27 PM
    I don't know about most of you but I see so many BB's out there naked that have tons of scratches and look like crap. To me, it's common sense that if you like something enough, take care of it. Putting a cover on any phone just makes sense. Sure, I would like to carry my Iphone naked most of the time but I know that if I drop it, my Wife would put a stop in me getting a new Iphone for being stupid. I would say the same thing about any of my phones that I have used in the last 2 years. I think we can all agree that if we drop a BB or any other phone, the cost of a replacement is up there. Also, keep in mind that if you plan on moving on to the next Iphone, Android or BB, the resale value on a pristine phone is worth the cost of the cover.
    03-20-11 12:53 AM
    A lot of the Blackberrys you see naked are company issued as well.
    03-20-11 12:25 PM
115 ... 345
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD