I understand. You just have a different perspective than us, and that's fine. This forum like just about all the forums is at least 50% opinion. I respect your opinion.
    03-08-11 07:03 PM
    A simple thread that turned into a ******** argument about a great phone. I have a BB Bold and like it. I'm not fan boy of any phone brand and can easily admit that the iphone4 is a beautiful device. I have held one in my hand and it feels as good as any phone. If there was ever a phone that didn't feel right it has to be the EVO. That to me feels almost like holding an ipad to your head, but tons of people love them. Who really cares about your hate for the iphone? I'm having a hard time figuring out why there is hate for brand any way. Did apple steal your girlfriend? lol!
    03-08-11 07:26 PM
    I don't hate Apple, I'm just being racist.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    03-08-11 07:39 PM
    What catches the eye about the iPhone is that it's so shiny. I like shiny things.
    03-08-11 08:03 PM
    I don't hate Apple, I'm just being racist.

I knew it! It's a BLACKberry thing.
    03-09-11 12:08 AM
    They look well built, but are poorly suited for their job.

iPhone: a handheld device wrapped in glass, with an antenna exposed to your hand. Result: in the real world you have to carry it in an unsightly case.

iPad and MacBook Pro: the glass screen is heavy for a portable device and is glossy which make it less usable. The aluminum case with sharp edges makes no concessions to hand or wrist ergonomics.

Those are well known criticisms of their designs. What Apple is selling is the idea of design, not good design itself. In other words, it's kitsch made for mass consumer appeal.
    unsightly case? My cases are my favorite way of accessorizing.
    03-16-11 11:37 AM
    unsightly case? My cases are my favorite way of accessorizing.
    If over 80% of users buy a case it means that the design is lacking.

03-17-11 03:13 PM
    If over 80% of humans accessorize does that mean human design is lacking?
    Last edited by xxxxpradaxxxx; 03-17-11 at 04:32 PM.
    Shanicenicolle likes this.
    03-17-11 04:29 PM

Or people like to use cases?
    03-17-11 05:16 PM
    I exercise so I can try to look good, I protect my iPhone because I want it to stay nice. Anything less is unacceptable.

03-17-11 05:50 PM
    If over 80% of humans accessorize does that mean human design is lacking?
    It probably comes down to competition for mating.

So owning and accessorizing an iPhone (itself an accessory) is possibly serving a higher purpose than just making phone calls and surfing the web.

03-17-11 06:29 PM
    Or people like to use cases?
    I think people like containers in general.

03-17-11 06:30 PM
    If I keep my car garaged to protect it from the elements does that mean it's poorly designed ?
    Shanicenicolle likes this.
    03-17-11 07:48 PM

most blackberry users use cases too... It's just fun.
    03-17-11 10:16 PM
    most blackberry users use cases too... It's just fun.
    No they don't. It's fun only once you accept that a case is essential and you just pick which one. It should not be essential, just work for what it was designed right out of the box.

Reviews of the iPhone should put it in a case when photographing and measuring it against other phones because that's how it's intended to be used. Apple's ads also should depict the iPhone in a case, since they already anticipate the majority of users to use it and are even selling their own.
    03-17-11 10:56 PM

The iPhone 4 design was inspired by the monolithic slab from 2001 Space Odyssey. The sole purpose of the monolith was to drive neanderthals mental and ultimately they beat each other with the bones of dead animals. I believe the design works perfectly and I submit this thread as proof.
    LazyStarGazer likes this.
    03-17-11 11:05 PM
    If I keep my car garaged to protect it from the elements does that mean it's poorly designed ?
    Of course not. Regular car bodywork is mostly the same between different brands and models and there are no cars with body work of glass (it would be as absurd as the iPhone.) Cars are already designed to withstand the elements to a reasonable degree, and only a minority of cars in the world are parked in garages.

Apple acknowledged that over 80% of iPhone users buy a case. Instead of concluding that the design should incorporate some of the qualities of a case, their response was to get into the market for cases. And, I would bet that they took their chances with the antenna because owners were expected to use a case and not notice it.
    03-18-11 12:08 AM
    Steve Jobs said that over 80% of iPhone users carry them in a case. Either users don't like the appearance or they worry that the construction won't hold up to daily use.

Unfortunately, Apple's response to this statistic was to make an even more fragile design, and get into the market for cases.
    Yes, we do use cases but a lot of us use the most minimal ones so we can enjoy the beauty of the iPhone. I use a snap-in case that form fits to the iPhone. Some people need a water proof case, for example, so this way everyone can choose the type of case that fits their needs. This does not in any way mean that the iPhone is deficient in any way. It is a spectacular device!
    03-18-11 10:20 AM
    Apple acknowledged that over 80% of iPhone users buy a case. Instead of concluding that the design should incorporate some of the qualities of a case, their response was to get into the market for cases. And, I would bet that they took their chances with the antenna because owners were expected to use a case and not notice it.
    What percentage of non-iphone users with similar cost for the phone buy cases?

You spit out one stat and then assume it means only what you think it means - of course, that's not necessarily the case.
    03-18-11 10:53 AM
    No they don't. It's fun only once you accept that a case is essential and you just pick which one. It should not be essential, just work for what it was designed right out of the box.

Reviews of the iPhone should put it in a case when photographing and measuring it against other phones because that's how it's intended to be used. Apple's ads also should depict the iPhone in a case, since they already anticipate the majority of users to use it and are even selling their own.
    No they don't.
    Really? Where do you get that from? Do you have an actual statistic to back that denial up? I'm guessing not. I'm guessing you just took it out of your anus.

It should not be essential, just work for what it was designed right out of the box..
    The iphone 4 does work for what it was designed right out of the box. You do not NEED a case for it to work for what it was designed.
    03-18-11 10:57 AM

The iPhone 4 design was inspired by the monolithic slab from 2001 Space Odyssey. The sole purpose of the monolith was to drive neanderthals mental and ultimately they beat each other with the bones of dead animals. I believe the design works perfectly and I submit this thread as proof.
    The
    Day
    BlackStormRising likes this.
    03-18-11 02:17 PM
    Apparently, there are at least several people who feel it's a good design:

Apple’s iPhone gets highest rating in J.D. Power survey, RIM falls to last place | BGR
    03-18-11 02:42 PM
    Apparently, there are at least several people who feel it's a good design:

Apple’s iPhone gets highest rating in J.D. Power survey, RIM falls to last place | BGR
    One specific quote bears on this thread:

For a fifth consecutive time, Apple ranks highest among manufacturers of smartphones in customer satisfaction with a score of 795 and performs particularly well in ease of operation, operating system, features and physical design
    (bold added by myself)
    03-18-11 03:07 PM
    I'm no match for JD Powers, but I'm only asking a simple question: If the iPhone is so well designed, why do most users carry it in a case?
    03-18-11 06:45 PM
    I'm no match for JD Powers, but I'm only asking a simple question: If the iPhone is so well designed, why do most users carry it in a case?
    Where's your data to backup your "most users carry it in a case" theory?
    03-18-11 06:46 PM
115 ... 2345
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD