Forget about the iPhone for a second.

Let's say I have this expensive, new handheld device that's slippery and made of glass. Is this good design?

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    03-07-11 11:48 AM

Let's say I have this expensive, new handheld device that's slippery and made of glass. Is this good design?

Yes. Because it FEELS JUST RIGHT IN MY HAND. That's the point here. Not the
    fact that you may or may not have to use a case or that it may or may not
    work right. I'm talking SIMPLY HARDWARE. My goodness.
    03-07-11 11:58 AM

1. Mine isn't slippery.
    2. It's made of very hard glass - the front is harder than the back, which is more important. The glass on the front is more sturdy and more scratch resistant than most of the plastic screens I have owned.

I find the glass on the front to be a great idea. I wish they had made the back glass to be as strong as the front, but I prefer the glass to the faux leather of the BB bold 9000 though.

Is it good design to have an easy to scratch plastic screen?
    03-07-11 12:04 PM
    I have no problems holding my iPhone and I keep it naked. I hate cases because usually when I have a case, I am more likely to drop the device and damage it.

I don't know how you are holding the iPhone where it is so slippery (are you just laying it on your palm without gripping?) because if I hold the iPhone with one hand and have my fingers wrapped around the side, it isn't going anywhere.
    03-07-11 12:24 PM
    One reason for the smooth and homogenous feel of an iPhone could be the lack of a removable back to change the battery that all BlackBerrys happily have and, the lack of an opening for a microSD card. Again this is something that most other phones have.

I see these as negative points for the iPhone.
    03-07-11 12:29 PM
    One reason for the smooth and homogenous feel of an iPhone could be the lack of a removable back to change the battery that all BlackBerrys happily have and, the lack of an opening for a microSD card. Again this is something that most other phones have.

The inability to change the battery and the lack of a microSD card are both legitimate criticisms of the iphone.

I think with respect to the microSD card, if they put that in then they'd have to allow apps on the phone to use a file system and that doesn't appear to be something Apple wants to do with their phones/tablets.
    03-07-11 12:37 PM

I agree with the design being better because they don't have to deal with a
    removable back. But the counter I have to the microSD slot is the fact that
    if it ever did, it would probably be the same idea as as the sim card slot. And
    the sim card slot is implemented perfectly on the phone. I would venture to say
    it would be the same sort of idea. An opening, and a push to release the SD card.
    03-07-11 12:48 PM
    What other handheld objects can you think of that share the iPhone characteristics, I'm talking about slippery glass. I'm not saying that it's slippery like a bar soap, but devoid of any texture, has oleophobic coating, and has straight angles instead of contours.

Let's say this was a door knob or a drawer handle. Would this be user friendly design?

03-07-11 01:01 PM
    What other handheld objects can you think of that share the iPhone characteristics, I'm talking about slippery glass. I'm not saying that it's slippery like a bar soap, but devoid of any texture, has oleophobic coating, and has straight angles instead of contours.

Let's say this was a door knob or a drawer handle. Would this be user friendly design?

Obvious troll is obvious.

A door knob, isn't a phone.

I don't hold a knob to my face, unless it's between legs.
    Last edited by xxxxpradaxxxx; 03-07-11 at 01:10 PM.
    03-07-11 01:08 PM
    Resistance is stiff here.

How about a handgun? Let's say Jonny Ive designed one with a grip that's basically a glass slab with oleophobic coating. Would this be good design?

03-07-11 01:15 PM
    03-07-11 01:45 PM
    Resistance is stiff here.

How about a handgun? Let's say Jonny Ive designed one with a grip that's basically a glass slab with oleophobic coating. Would this be good design
    It would be poor design because it would possibly shatter at the first shot. Ok... I agree that the iphone 4 would make a poorly designed handgun - heck, it would be a poorly designed gun. Apple should definitely redesign their phone so it would make for a better designed handgun.

Your analogies aren't very good.

Also, who cares if it's oleophobic? I can see why you might have somewhat of a problem if you find it slippery (albeit not a huge design flaw in my view), but why would you want it to be oleophilic?
    03-07-11 01:51 PM
    You can certainly hold it, just as you can hold just about any object that's not injurious. But is it designed to be held in you hand?

Since you hate my analogies, please feel free to offer counter examples where this kind of design is ergonomic.

03-07-11 02:08 PM
    I always thought picking up the 4 from a table of desk is rather hard because of its flat/squareish design...yeah, putting a bumper or a case on it helped a lot with that.
    03-07-11 02:14 PM
    You can certainly hold it, just as you can hold just about any object that's not injurious. But is it designed to be held in you hand?

Since you hate my analogies, please feel free to offer counter examples where this kind of design is ergonomic.

Yes. A phone.
    03-07-11 02:14 PM

Since you hate my analogies, please feel free to offer counter examples where this kind of design is ergonomic
    The problem is, I think the iphone 4 was designed to be held in my hand. I find it to fit very comfortably in my hand and I don't feel like it is excessively slippery - I definitely do not feel like there's a real risk of it slipping out of my hands.

My example of where this design feels ergonomic is the iPhone 4 - since I feel it is ergonomic, I don't see why I need to provide an analogy. I don't think you need to provide an analogy either.

You find it slippery? That's fine. That apparently is a major issue for you. It seems for many (most?) it isn't.

The iphone was obviously designed to be held in your hand (as every cell phone has) - I found the bold 9000 to be a little less comfortable just because it was a bit wider. It is something you usually get used to though. Every cell phone was designed to be held in your hands - the problem is that not all hands were created equal.

I just don't see why you see it having glass on the back and front being a globally poor design - except I would suggest that they use a stronger glass on the back since it does scratch much more easily than the glass they used on the front.
    Last edited by AStranger; 03-07-11 at 02:32 PM.
    03-07-11 02:29 PM
    The problem is, I think the iphone 4 was designed to be held in my hand. I find it to fit very comfortably in my hand and I don't feel like it is excessively slippery - I definitely do not feel like there's a real risk of it slipping out of my hands.
    Let's compare the iPhone 4 and 3. Which is better designed for a hand grip?

03-07-11 02:41 PM
    Let's compare the iPhone 4 and 3. Which is better designed for a hand grip?

Hard for me to say. I never have owned an iphone 3. I had the first gen iphone and I find it hard to remember exactly how it felt to compare it. I found it to be pretty solid in feel though and I liked that. I didn't like the iphone 1 because the back was too easily scratched and I don't really like having my phones in cases and if I do have a form of protection, it should be as thin as possible.

My last phone was the bold 9000 and it was a little wider than I would like and didn't feel nearly as solid as either iphone. Also, I had to replace my bold twice under warranty within the first year - never had that issue with an iphone.

I wish I could give you a better answer about the feel in the hand because that is really the question. The problem is, I can only truly say based on what I can compare with.
    03-07-11 02:59 PM
    Hard for me to say. I never have owned an iphone 3. I had the first gen iphone and I find it hard to remember exactly how it felt to compare it. I found it to be pretty solid in feel though and I liked that. I didn't like the iphone 1 because the back was too easily scratched and I don't really like having my phones in cases and if I do have a form of protection, it should be as thin as possible.

My last phone was the bold 9000 and it was a little wider than I would like and didn't feel nearly as solid as either iphone. Also, I had to replace my bold twice under warranty within the first year - never had that issue with an iphone.

I wish I could give you a better answer about the feel in the hand because that is really the question. The problem is, I can only truly say based on what I can compare with.
    Okay, I think you answered as best you could. I'm looking for more detailed answers and less subjective experiences.

03-07-11 03:21 PM
    The phone being slippery is as subjective as anything we've stated here.
    03-07-11 03:27 PM
    So which is better designed for a hand grip, the iPhone 4 or 3?

03-07-11 03:46 PM
    So which is better designed for a hand grip, the iPhone 4 or 3?

They're both designed fine for my hand grip.
    03-07-11 03:54 PM
    They're both designed fine for my hand grip.
    Both fit my hand really well too.
    03-07-11 03:59 PM
    Well then, it seems that there's nothing in particular about the iPhone, shape or materials that makes it feel right in your hand.

03-07-11 04:32 PM
    Well then, it seems that there's nothing in particular about the iPhone, shape or materials that makes it feel right in your hand.

Nope. Feels solid and doesn't squeak like a plastic BB would. My power button
    won't wear out like the two designated buttons on the top of a BB and get sunk
    in with wear and tear. Hardware built to every detail as opposed to crap.
    03-07-11 04:37 PM
115 1234 ...
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD