04-18-10 09:37 PM
190 ... 5678
tools
    Look at it from a common sense standpoint though. There are lots of reasons why not Sprint. Maybe Apple just doesnt think WIMAX is the future of 4G. Maybe they dont want to R&D and build a whole other model to sell to so few customers. I mean even if you get 10% of your customers to buy an iphone, thats only 2-3 million iphones (Sprint has 29 million or so post-paid (on contract) CDMA customers). ATT sold 1 million the first weekend alone!! Its just not enough volume to justify the associated costs sometimes.

Sprint has no one to blame but Sprint for using a 4G tech no one else is using in the US. If they had gone LTE and VZW was getting it, itd be an easy answer. But its not so since theyre on WIMAX
    Wimax is what was available at that time! Hence why they have markets up with 4G and Verizon doesn't. LTE was NOT an option at that time.

04-18-10 12:37 PM
    Who gives a flying ****? Nobody that is on a Blackberry right now. I hate when these little fan bois come on the forum and start talking about the iPhone like it is the greatest thing to come about since the wheel and everyone I know who has left Blackberry for the iPhone has come right back.

Steve Jobs is a control freak. Keep supporting his products and his screwed up company. Everyone knows that when he leaves Apple, be it by choice, or by natural causes, the stock will plummet like a rock in a lake, which is why Apple board members were all upset because of the fact that he did not disclose the whole thing with his failing liver, which is probably due to his attitude and consumption of alcohol.

I love my Blackberry. I can put in an extended battery if I want. I can load whatever OS I want. I can even unlock it and take it to another carrier without doing doing something that involves running software that some people who may or may not be loading it with malicious code have written, which by the way, Apple is lobbying very strongly to make it illegal to jailbreak their sad excuse for a phone.

So...people on Verizon, especially Blackberry users, do not need to be concerned about an iPhone coming to Verizon. RIM does not need to watch out. They hold more market share than Apple does. Apple will always be the small company that never really got it, and when Steve Jobs is gone along with his gas giant sized ego, I imagine a singularity will form and Apple will implode on itself and there will not be a trace that the ****ty company from Cupertino ever existed.
    04-18-10 12:49 PM
    What it boils down to is this.

Verizon already has plenty of data issues curently, without having the iPhone on its network. What my concern is, how badly will the network suffer after the iPhone is added to the lineup? I mean, look at all the data issues AT&T has with iPhone users right now.

Im not a fan of Verizon at all. I just have to suck it up and stay with them due to contracts.
    04-18-10 12:53 PM
    Your post sounds more like a drunken tirade filled with anger and hostility than a reasoned, factual statement. I love my Storm 2 and have zero interest in the iPhone (tried it many times). That being said, regardless of your fondness or not for Jobs, the iPhone has a significant recognition factor over the competition and the biggest thing holding it back is carrier exclusivity.

Personally, I welcome the iPhone to VZW (assuming it happens). Competition is a good thing and, like the old car rental ad says "We're number 2, so we try harder."

Who gives a flying ****? Nobody that is on a Blackberry right now. I hate when these little fan bois come on the forum and start talking about the iPhone like it is the greatest thing to come about since the wheel and everyone I know who has left Blackberry for the iPhone has come right back.

Steve Jobs is a control freak. Keep supporting his products and his screwed up company. Everyone knows that when he leaves Apple, be it by choice, or by natural causes, the stock will plummet like a rock in a lake, which is why Apple board members were all upset because of the fact that he did not disclose the whole thing with his failing liver, which is probably due to his attitude and consumption of alcohol.

I love my Blackberry. I can put in an extended battery if I want. I can load whatever OS I want. I can even unlock it and take it to another carrier without doing doing something that involves running software that some people who may or may not be loading it with malicious code have written, which by the way, Apple is lobbying very strongly to make it illegal to jailbreak their sad excuse for a phone.

So...people on Verizon, especially Blackberry users, do not need to be concerned about an iPhone coming to Verizon. RIM does not need to watch out. They hold more market share than Apple does. Apple will always be the small company that never really got it, and when Steve Jobs is gone along with his gas giant sized ego, I imagine a singularity will form and Apple will implode on itself and there will not be a trace that the ****ty company from Cupertino ever existed.
    04-18-10 12:56 PM
    Perception is a funny thing...Sprint is the only carrier with 4G at ALL.. so NOBODY but Sprint IS using 4G so in the wierdest possible way, ie in a way that you didnt mean, you are correct..

And to be honest?.. with Android making the move they are then the iPhone and BB will both suffer.. and with the EVO and more coming..who on earth would give a **** about an iPhone on Sprint?..

Look at it from a common sense standpoint though. There are lots of reasons why not Sprint. Maybe Apple just doesnt think WIMAX is the future of 4G. Maybe they dont want to R&D and build a whole other model to sell to so few customers. I mean even if you get 10% of your customers to buy an iphone, thats only 2-3 million iphones (Sprint has 29 million or so post-paid (on contract) CDMA customers). ATT sold 1 million the first weekend alone!! Its just not enough volume to justify the associated costs sometimes.

Sprint has no one to blame but Sprint for using a 4G tech no one else is using in the US. If they had gone LTE and VZW was getting it, itd be an easy answer. But its not so since theyre on WIMAX
    04-18-10 12:59 PM
    I do not see any supporting evidence that supports your statement. There are no reports, or research/news/blog articles that i am aware of.

And FYI, ATT had issues with its data network because it didnt actually HAVE much of a data network at the time the iPhone was released..

Both VZ and Sprint have far greater coverage and reliability of 3G data network than ATT and with both carriers having BB & android phones already i would not expect any significant surge in data usage on those carriers if the iPhone were released...

Verizon already has plenty of data issues curently, without having the iPhone on its network. What my concern is, how badly will the network suffer after the iPhone is added to the lineup? I mean, look at all the data issues AT&T has with iPhone users right now.

Im not a fan of Verizon at all. I just have to suck it up and stay with them due to contracts.
    04-18-10 01:05 PM
    Nothing like talking to someone on the phone and hearing 125 clicks while they look up 'how not to look like a d-bag over the phone'.
    Now, THIS, is funny!
    04-18-10 01:10 PM
    while it makes sense from a market penetration perspective for Apple to make a CDMA variant for VZ and Sprint, if its not already in prototype for a summer release, they may as well skip and wait for LTE..

I agree tho, it matters not to me what carriers the iPhone is on.. if on Sprint or VZ or whereever then great for those customers who desire an iPhone but have coverage or cost issues with ATT and want a carrier choice...

For me, the EVO and the Incredible look like they may become the touchscreen cool phones of choice on the CDMA carriers regardless of whether the iPhone hits or not.

Your post sounds more like a drunken tirade filled with anger and hostility than a reasoned, factual statement. I love my Storm 2 and have zero interest in the iPhone (tried it many times). That being said, regardless of your fondness or not for Jobs, the iPhone has a significant recognition factor over the competition and the biggest thing holding it back is carrier exclusivity.

Personally, I welcome the iPhone to VZW (assuming it happens). Competition is a good thing and, like the old car rental ad says "We're number 2, so we try harder."
    04-18-10 01:11 PM

Source? I've had Verizon for a few months and have never had any problems with them.

AT&T supposedly has the most crippled network at the moment. I don't mind extending my Verizon contract because I never plan on leaving them. i tried every other carrier and T-Mobile is the second best in my opinion. Sprint and AT&T are tied.
    04-18-10 01:13 PM
    Won't be waiting in line for one...
    I'm with you on that one!
    04-18-10 01:18 PM

Agreed. Competition is a good thing… the two devices are very different; both are great depending on your needs. Some only surf, while others only text/email. Some both… I didn’t know about the battery issue with the i-phone until recently. What are these things throw away phones… what happens when the battery wears out?
    04-18-10 01:23 PM
    Wears out? Hey, no problem. You just send your phone into Apple (perhaps you can visit the ATT store for this, not sure) and pay something like $79.00 or more, to get a new one installed. Nifty, eh?

When I can buy a spare battery and keep it in a charger and the battery costs about $39.00 (plus charger) and can change it out if I don't have time to wait for a recharge, then that's what I'm going to buy. For me, the iPhone battery issue ALONE would keep me from buying it (and now the iPad, same thing? C'mon, Apple). It could be the best device ever designed and have every feature/capability ever known to mankind, but holding me hostage to pay double/triple the cost to have a battery replaced and not being able to slip in a spare, is beyond comprehension to me.

Agreed. Competition is a good thing… the two devices are very different; both are great depending on your needs. Some only surf, while others only text/email. Some both… I didn’t know about the battery issue with the i-phone until recently. What are these things throw away phones… what happens when the battery wears out?
    04-18-10 03:56 PM
    Perception is a funny thing...Sprint is the only carrier with 4G at ALL.. so NOBODY but Sprint IS using 4G so in the wierdest possible way, ie in a way that you didnt mean, you are correct..

And to be honest?.. with Android making the move they are then the iPhone and BB will both suffer.. and with the EVO and more coming..who on earth would give a **** about an iPhone on Sprint?..
    Whats the point? Is there a SINGLE WIMAX device on the market still after being deployed for 1-2 years? No. Its moot then.

And they have, what, a whopping 600,000 customers nationwide? The argument may hold true if the nation was covered already like it should be after 1-2 years of deployment, but the truth is that its only in a few cities still. VZW could flip a LTE switch and have as much LTE coverage as WIMAX, Sprint has done a POOR job rolling out WIMAX after all this time.

Evo? Specs on paper mean nothing. The Nexus was supposed to be this godly phone with snapdragon and all this, and its still far from a more popular device in the US, let alone being riddled with bugs/issues. Paper specs dont make a good phone in real life. When its out then the point may have some relevance.

And when Android passes BB or iphone, then again, come back with your argument because its moot as theyre behind BB and iphone by a long shot. Lots of people still care about the iphone, denying it is a ridiculous assertion to be making.
    Last edited by stuaw11; 04-18-10 at 04:44 PM.
    04-18-10 04:41 PM
    Wears out? Hey, no problem. You just send your phone into Apple (perhaps you can visit the ATT store for this, not sure) and pay something like $79.00 or more, to get a new one installed. Nifty, eh?

When I can buy a spare battery and keep it in a charger and the battery costs about $39.00 (plus charger) and can change it out if I don't have time to wait for a recharge, then that's what I'm going to buy. For me, the iPhone battery issue ALONE would keep me from buying it (and now the iPad, same thing? C'mon, Apple). It could be the best device ever designed and have every feature/capability ever known to mankind, but holding me hostage to pay double/triple the cost to have a battery replaced and not being able to slip in a spare, is beyond comprehension to me.
    And you can go buy a small clip on battery for the iphone the same price or less as the extra battery, so what the point?

And the battery is covered under the 1 year Applecare for freak wear-outs, and few people end up needing this $80 service if they change phones every 2 years. The batteries dont even begin to show signs of diminished capacity until after 4-500 FULL charge cycles of 0-100%. Not every charge is a full charge cycle either.
    Last edited by stuaw11; 04-18-10 at 04:54 PM.
    04-18-10 04:46 PM
    Since I'm not an iPhone user, I was not aware of the clip on thing, but when I read your post, as I pictured this in my head, I instantly disliked it. Fine for an emergency, sure, but certainly not practical when you're headed out at night and realize your battery is down. Far easier to be able to replace the battery with the spare.

As for the charging and battery length-of-service issue, sure, that's the standard, "if everything goes right" life cycle, but as we all know, things don't always work out and there are certainly times when batteries simply die at an early age. I'm less concerned about that than I am simply not being able to pop in a spare.

As to the "4-500 FULL charge cycles of 0-100%" statement, I disagree. I've worked with batteries a LOT in my career and worked with several battery engineers. I've always, always been told that "it doesn't matter if you're only topping off the battery or giving it a full charge, the moment you plug it in, that's a charge...period." Nobody has ever disputed that, so that's the theory I subscribe to. Again though, it's more about not being able to instantly (ok, with your clip on deal, I guess if I HAD to, it would be ok, but I'd certainly not be happy with it) install a fresh spare and use my device normally. By the say, cobolt based lithium ion batteries, most often used in cell phones, do not benefit from, in fact are harmed by, frequent full discharge-charge cycles. They work best when charged at the 40%-50% drained level with only very infrequent full discharges.

And you can go buy a small clip on battery for the iphone the same price or less as the extra battery, so what the point?

And the battery is covered under the 1 year Applecare for freak wear-outs, and few people end up needing this $80 service if they change phones every 2 years. The batteries dont even begin to show signs of diminished capacity until after 4-500 FULL charge cycles of 0-100%. Not every charge is a full charge cycle either.
    Last edited by EnergyPlus; 04-18-10 at 05:33 PM.
    04-18-10 05:26 PM
    Well thats why I emphasized FULL charge cycles, since youre not supposed to drain it dead anyways.

i think they claim 4-500 charge cycles when they really know people will use it 50% dead and charge it, meaning its just an equivalent of how many full charges the battery should get you total- whether it be 400 full charges or 800 from 50%, its all the same. Either way the battery wearing out shouldn't be a huge concern for many people.

That was more for the posts before though ranting about $80 for the battery swap through Apple. I know VERY few (if any) people who have had to have that done. I get the feeling the general public isnt quite reflected in the geek crowd on these types of sites who are power users like they want to portray is the usage "norm" when its really the top end of the spectrum.

Trust me, the clip on isnt that big a deal. Sure, it doesnt give you an instant warm and fuzzy feeling with 100% showing, but its not such a huge deal. Its only 1/2" sticking off the bottom of the phone and really isnt all that much more inconvenient than having to remember to charge an extra battery to pop in the phone. Same difference really, just preference. Was only $20 so.

Last edited by stuaw11; 04-18-10 at 06:13 PM.
    04-18-10 06:08 PM
    Whats the point? Is there a SINGLE WIMAX device on the market still after being deployed for 1-2 years? No. Its moot then.

And they have, what, a whopping 600,000 customers nationwide? The argument may hold true if the nation was covered already like it should be after 1-2 years of deployment, but the truth is that its only in a few cities still. VZW could flip a LTE switch and have as much LTE coverage as WIMAX, Sprint has done a POOR job rolling out WIMAX after all this time.

Evo? Specs on paper mean nothing. The Nexus was supposed to be this godly phone with snapdragon and all this, and its still far from a more popular device in the US, let alone being riddled with bugs/issues. Paper specs dont make a good phone in real life. When its out then the point may have some relevance.

And when Android passes BB or iphone, then again, come back with your argument because its moot as theyre behind BB and iphone by a long shot. Lots of people still care about the iphone, denying it is a ridiculous assertion to be making.
    Android is still fairly new. That's why. Android 2.0 was the game changer for Android. With Apps2SD support and other great features, I couldn't see myself go to any other platform right now. I still very much like the iPhone and BB is okay, but Android is the future for me.

Android may never be as popular as iPhone but it's still the platform I prefer most.
    04-18-10 06:13 PM
    People dont seem to realize Apple is only 1 year older on the market than Android though. The G1 was released a month or 2 after the iphone 3G, which was 1 year after the iphone was first ever released.

Its not even 3 years for Apple, and on only 1 carrier, which is impressive claiming 25% of the US market.
    04-18-10 06:15 PM
    Ill be impressed when other countries fall for the apple hype machine like americans do. until then iphone sales still dont impress me
    04-18-10 06:17 PM
    People dont seem to realize Apple is only 1 year older on the market than Android though. The G1 was released a month or 2 after the iphone 3G, which was 1 year after the iphone was first ever released.

Its not even 3 years for Apple, and on only 1 carrier, which is impressive claiming 25% of the US market.
    Yeah but the iPhone is suited for the general public due to its ease of use. I doubt I'll ever see a 10 year old with a Droid whereas I've seen some with iPhones.

Android 1.5 was pretty much beta. Android 2.0 was the real deal. Now we're seeing high end Android devices like the Droid, Nexus, Incredible, Desire, etc.

I don't know if Android will ever surpass iPhone in popularity because well, the iPhone is the easiest phone to use. I like the iPhone but I do have a geek side and that's why I'm in love with Android.
    04-18-10 06:22 PM
    Ill be impressed when other countries fall for the apple hype machine like americans do. until then iphone sales still dont impress me
    Are you hitting the crack pipe too hard? Iphone is the 3rd largest platform WORLDWIDE.

Smartphone Sales Up 24 Percent, iPhone’s Share Nearly Doubled Last Year (Gartner)

The iphone is at 14.5% world makretshare and RIM is at 20%, and HOW much longer has RIM been making phones? In THREE years iphone has gained almost 15% of the world market.

Lets look at growth. From 2008-end of 2009 iphone gained just over 6% marketshare, RIM gained 3.3%, and Nokia dropped about 6%.
    Last edited by stuaw11; 04-18-10 at 06:26 PM.
    04-18-10 06:24 PM
    They impress me because the iPhone is only on one carrier, which happens to be congested at the moment and still selling well.
    04-18-10 06:24 PM
    Yeah but the iPhone is suited for the general public due to its ease of use. I doubt I'll ever see a 10 year old with a Droid whereas I've seen some with iPhones.

Android 1.5 was pretty much beta. Android 2.0 was the real deal. Now we're seeing high end Android devices like the Droid, Nexus, Incredible, Desire, etc.

I don't know if Android will ever surpass iPhone in popularity because well, the iPhone is the easiest phone to use. I like the iPhone but I do have a geek side and that's why I'm in love with Android.
    Im not hinting Android is bad at all, trust me on that. But that "geeky" and "beta" issues are typical Google issues (how long was Gmail "beta?").

Thats really their own fault for putting out a beta product. Its business and its all about putting out a desirous product that brings in the numbers, cant fault Apple for that
    Last edited by stuaw11; 04-18-10 at 06:27 PM.
    04-18-10 06:25 PM
    Im not hinting Android is bad at all, trust me on that. But that "geeky" and "beta" issues are typical Google issues (how long was Gmail "beta"). Thats really their own fault for putting out a beta product.
    Google's definition of beta is not what you're probably thinking. Beta, to Google, indicates that the software/service is under constant development (aka: improvement, evolution). Beta doesn't necessarily mean that the product isn't ready for regular use.
    04-18-10 06:28 PM
    Here's the deal the way I see it: iPhone is a fine phone and deserves kudos for all the "firsts" it introduced. It certainly caught my attention the very first time I saw it. I wanted one, BAD. The only thing stopping me was the battery issue (as discussed above) which I detested and, AT&T which I detest even more. Other than that, I think it's a great device that obviously meets the needs of lots and lots of people, but obviously, not everyone. While I loved the display and the touch interface, there were some other things that held me back, just like I don't particularly care for the iMac. Great devices, just not my cup o' soup. Phone sales SHOULD impress you, but they need to be taken with a grain of salt, as they obviously don't give the full picture.

My personal belief is, that the vast majority of users look at a potential phone from a very non-technical perspective. First and foremost to them is the "looks" of the fun (and the iPhone certainly excels in that department, I'll give them that). That's the initial impression for all of us, really and thus, can either excite you or turn you off. Second is basic features. Does the device offer basic features that most everyone wants: phone (obviously), email, internet, games, and to a lesser percentage, utilities. Price of course, for the phone and the subsequent plan charges, is in the mix, but really, there are certainly many people that cannot afford a smart phone, but have one anyway, just because they want one so badly (peer pressure being a HUGE influence with younger people). Only a relatively small percentage look beyond these things to make their decisions based on more detailed examination. So, sales are an indicator of the phone's acceptance in the general populice and if a ton of 'em are sold, and continue to be sold, that has to mean something!

04-18-10 06:29 PM
190 ... 5678
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD