verizon is getting the iPhone this summer. The first one won't be LTE.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    04-08-10 03:57 PM
    IMHO, all this competition is good, and I don't believe RIM has anything to worry about. Now, if anyone needs to "watch out", it's Apple and VZ, when Sprint rolls out the HTC Evo 4-G this summer.
    It may be a great phone and all, but if Sprint doesnt sell more than 1000 of them what good is it? The have a whopping 1/3 the customers ATT or VZW have to offer it to.

Im sure people will buy it just for its specs, but WIMAX is so sporadic across the country that it wont be a factor for most. Theyll buy it for the specs alone.
    04-08-10 04:12 PM
    verizon is getting the iPhone this summer. The first one won't be LTE.

Let's just hope it's the new tech and not just a CDMA'd 3GS... that is if AT&T gets a new hardware model this summer as well. Seems Apple might be buying time for the 3GS with just a new OS this summer and waiting until more LTE gear is up on the towers to move to that. I guess we'll see.
    04-08-10 04:24 PM
    I don't think you see widespread LTE devices until mid to late 2011 but you may have some early devices like the S3. As long as they resolve the LTE to EVDO hand off issues it would just be a bonus. I think when you get to the second band or gen of LTE that you'll really start to see some thangs.

04-08-10 04:30 PM
    LOL. The EVO is going to be awesome, but Apple and Verizon have nothing to worry about. If anything, Sprint needs to worry that potential EVO customers will jump ship for the Verizon iPhone.

WiMAx is nothing. LTE is the future.
    LMAO, thanks for the chuckle....I'll wait for the summer shakeout....
    04-08-10 04:38 PM
    gimme storm 3, with webOS hahaha.
    04-08-10 04:58 PM
    04-09-10 09:26 AM
    That article somehow manages to say absolutely nothing...
    04-09-10 11:47 AM
    If Apple wants to keep costs down they should start making their phones CDMA/GSM dual band now then LTE/GSM/CDMA in the future. Problem solved.
    04-09-10 01:24 PM
    If Apple wants to keep costs down they should start making their phones CDMA/GSM dual band now then LTE/GSM/CDMA in the future. Problem solved.
    Were talking about Apple here the greediest SOB's on the planet. Why do that when you can make people want to buy newer model each year.
    04-09-10 03:14 PM
    Were talking about Apple here the greediest SOB's on the planet. Why do that when you can make people want to buy newer model each year.
    lol. That's not just Apple. Look at RIM. Storm 1, no WiFi...a year later, WiFi...Tour...No WiFi, a year later...WiFi. Every company does this. It may just be more obvious because Apple markets one device. RIM does this to almost all their devices.
    04-09-10 05:21 PM
    For real, all the BB's without WIFI ring a bell? aka Tour->Tour 2
    How about not giving consumers full email features (exchange calendar/contact sync and folders or IMAP/Gmail folders) on BIS without paying a lot more per month that RIM takes a cut of

RIM is as greedy as any other manufacturer.

And sorry, but presuming that LTE (who knows how many bands itll be)/qaud band GSM/dual band CDMA can all fit on one chip is a ridiculous assertion. Assuming it can be doesnt mean it just can be or has been yet.
    Last edited by stuaw11; 04-09-10 at 05:47 PM.
    04-09-10 05:41 PM
    Yep, planned obsolescence. The new iPad has NO USB ports. Guess what? They've already completed design of Version 2, this time with..........2 USB Ports! ::: sigh :::

lol. That's not just Apple. Look at RIM. Storm 1, no WiFi...a year later, WiFi...Tour...No WiFi, a year later...WiFi. Every company does this. It may just be more obvious because Apple markets one device. RIM does this to almost all their devices.
    04-09-10 11:53 PM
    True but planned obsolescence is hard to prove.

Sometimes there are just time or design limitations, especially on a new 1st gen product to market, and you have to pick your poison to release the device and get it sold or hold it off which could cost you big $$.

If it was a 2nd or 3rd gen device to the market I could see the planned obsolescence argument clearly, but its hard on a 1st gen device to say as the device has never been done before.
    04-10-10 12:04 AM
    True but planned obsolescence is hard to prove.

Sometimes there are just time or design limitations, especially on a new 1st gen product to market, and you have to pick your poison to release the device and get it sold or hold it off which could cost you big $$.

If it was a 2nd or 3rd gen device to the market I could see the planned obsolescence argument clearly, but its hard on a 1st gen device to say as the device has never been done before.
    I gently disagree. Planned obsolescence is, as you say, hard to *prove* but almost everyone knows it exists.
    It's a well used model *for almost all manufacturers* to "hook 'em in" and to build a following. At that point, you take a look at that manufacturer's history and you can usually see a pattern of giving bits, hooking the consumer in, and then release/bring out new models with just enough new functionality to keep them interested, addicted, but not disgusted.
    It's not that unusual a practice, most often the consumer doesn't quite realise they're being manipulated.
    No biggie.
    04-10-10 08:52 AM
    No denying it, thats not what Im trying to imply.

More that sometimes things happen beyond their control, like the ipod camera just not working or fitting right, and you have to meet a timetable to release the device. Sometimes you have to make a sacrifice to release a device to the market than hold it back to get a feature or 2 working.

Just trying to say that there could be more than 1 factor at work here. It was a totally new product to the market, which is usually the hardest one to design and get out there. Its pretty easy when youre on your 2nd gen model and youre just tweaking it, not inventing it from scratch.
    Last edited by stuaw11; 04-10-10 at 12:08 PM.
    04-10-10 12:05 PM
    Maybe it's a bit of both?
    04-10-10 01:28 PM
    Verizon + iPhone = dream come true

AT&T sucks so much and my iPhone is the only reason I haven't terminated my contract yet.
    04-10-10 10:59 PM
    Whats the point of having an iPhone on Verizon if you can't talk and surf the web?
    Honestly, how often does that even happen? That issue appeared in an AT&T commercial when AT&T was struggling to find some perceived weakness in VZW & its smartphones.

More often, at least in my case, I need to use an app on my phone - to check business data, address book info, schedule, etc - while on a call, and even my old school 8330 handles that perfectly well. lol. From what I hear, the iPhone seems to fail in that department (no multitasking).
    04-11-10 06:18 AM
    Honestly, how often does that even happen? That issue appeared in an AT&T commercial when AT&T was struggling to find some perceived weakness in VZW & its smartphones.

More often, at least in my case, I need to use an app on my phone - to check business data, address book info, schedule, etc - while on a call, and even my old school 8330 handles that perfectly well. lol. From what I hear, the iPhone seems to fail in that department (no multitasking).

Almost daily, when you're on the road and you're on the phone and need to access directions on Google Maps and/or emails with reporting instructions, etc...

It's not a perceived weakness, it's a fact for professionals on the go whose office is not necessarily inside a building at all times. With jailbroken phones (I don't have one but know people who do) the iPhone can do that. And 4.0 will allow it out of the box for certain apps.
    04-11-10 07:05 AM
    If Apple wants to keep costs down they should start making their phones CDMA/GSM dual band now then LTE/GSM/CDMA in the future.
    Development of a completely new device (from scratch) and certification for CDMA is unlikely to be commercially viable at this stage unless VZ puts in funding. That's where RIM and the other existing players win - their new CDMA releases are simply developments of existing designs.

Apple has the prospect of the existing CDMA network becoming obsolete within a few years and everything moving to LTE. They know the future with VZW is LTE, but the initial release is slated to be data services only which will be fine for iPad but useless for iPhone. There is no way development of a short life CDMA or dual mode device for one or two niche carriers will be economic. Maybe when LTE goes to full service capability across the nation...
    04-11-10 07:06 AM
    Development of a completely new device (from scratch) and certification for CDMA is unlikely to be commercially viable at this stage unless VZ puts in funding. That's where RIM and the other existing players win - their new CDMA releases are simply developments of existing designs.

Apple has the prospect of the existing CDMA network becoming obsolete within a few years and everything moving to LTE. They know the future with VZW is LTE, but the initial release is slated to be data services only which will be fine for iPad but useless for iPhone. There is no way development of a short life CDMA or dual mode device for one or two niche carriers will be economic. Maybe when LTE goes to full service capability across the nation...
    Agree wholeheartedly. Building for CDMA would represent an unwise use of resources at this point in time, I think. I would not have my team building new solutions for platforms that are going away or are isolated. I have them on O&M for what we have now while developing for 12 month and 36 month projects. I would imagine Apple would have the same view when it comes for Verizon at this point in time. Verizon had their chance, Apple turned to AT&T and the rest of the GSM carriers worldwide.
    04-11-10 07:21 AM

CDMA is gong to be around for at least 10 more years. The pricing structure on LTE has been hinted to be comparable with the speed. So going to a 4G network is going to be more expensive then the current 3G network.

Look how long it took the government to get rid of the analog signals. GSM has already been hacked. No infrastructure switch will happen very fast. People, maybe not some of us on Crackberry, keep for phones for 4 or 5 years. Heck, I had my last phone before my bb for over 3 years.
    04-11-10 08:23 AM
    True, but I don't see a forward thinking company that has a reputation for cutting edge technology going backwards to pick up customers on a platform that is phasing out.
    I could be wrong.
    04-11-10 08:26 AM
    I've had my iPhone since August last year and had my Bold since December. Not once have I need to use data while on a call. In fact, I hardly ever make calls since I'm usually texting/BBMing

This is the only weakpoint AT&T can come up with because they have garbage coverage and ****ty customer service.
    04-11-10 09:54 AM
190 ... 34567 ...
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD