There's really only one reason why I won't get an iPhone, and that's probably because of messaging. Now that legit all my friends have blackberrys, it just makes sense to stick with it because of BBM. I basically get the cheapest possible texting plan and never go over it because I BBM everyone.

If only the iPhone had a BBM program I would switch over.
    06-10-09 07:59 AM
    There's really only one reason why I won't get an iPhone, and that's probably because of messaging. Now that legit all my friends have blackberrys, it just makes sense to stick with it because of BBM. I basically get the cheapest possible texting plan and never go over it because I BBM everyone.

As you probably know, BBM uses the PINs of the BlackBerries to send messages. Since that's proprietary RIM technology and one of their major advantages, I'd doubt they would give Apple the software to tap into their network. I don't foresee the iPhone getting a BBM app any time soon.
    06-10-09 08:50 AM
    A lot of my friends have BB's.. i even had one, as far as im concerned they are on their own lol... i wanted the iPhone, i conned my wife into letting me get it, i quit smoking at $9.00+ a day, so i got it, i couldnt even get out of my verizon contract, bottom line if you really want it that bad the financial difference is not that much..... GO FOR IT
    06-10-09 11:53 AM
    iPhone is cheaper than any other blackberry, at least for what i need it for. I cancelled my internet to my computer because im never home
    06-10-09 03:00 PM

Since they have BBs, just tell them to use an IM program and IM them. I only have a few friends/family with BBs so I just text all the time. $50 for unlimited data/texting isn't that bad.
    06-10-09 03:20 PM
    Since they have BBs, just tell them to use an IM program and IM them. I only have a few friends/family with BBs so I just text all the time. $50 for unlimited data/texting isn't that bad.
    yea, unfortunately, we all dont use IM programs because we already have trouble getting a whole day on one charge.
    06-12-09 01:12 AM
    that is the one thing I really miss about my Blackberry, no BBM :-(
    06-12-09 09:23 AM
    As you probably know, BBM uses the PINs of the BlackBerries to send messages. Since that's proprietary RIM technology and one of their major advantages, I'd doubt they would give Apple the software to tap into their network. I don't foresee the iPhone getting a BBM app any time soon.
    Windows Mobile devices, and even the PalmOS Treo's, have something called "Blackberry Connect" which is software you run on your device, it assigns your device a PIN #, and allows you to sync your non-Blackberry to a BES.
    06-12-09 11:58 AM
    Windows Mobile devices, and even the PalmOS Treo's, have something called "Blackberry Connect" which is software you run on your device, it assigns your device a PIN #, and allows you to sync your non-Blackberry to a BES.
    Interesting... I did not know that. So a BBM iPhone App is possible. Possible, but highly unlikely, since RIM knows that if they allow Apple to do this, they'd lose an advantage.
    06-14-09 10:27 AM
    They would lose more than an advantage... they would lose a crap load of customers. Me being one. BBM is probably the biggest reason I'm still with BlackBerry for personal use.
    06-14-09 12:14 PM
    They would lose more than an advantage... they would lose a crap load of customers. Me being one. BBM is probably the biggest reason I'm still with BlackBerry for personal use.
    Same , BBM is the ONLY reason i am still with blackberry , if i could get a BBM app on pre or iphone , i would jump ship in a second.
    06-14-09 12:53 PM
    At first, I thought BBM would keep me using blackberries constantly. But using the iPhone for an extended period of time, I found that the people on my buddy list there I text most of the time. And since SMS on the iphone is chat style, I really don't miss blackberry as much as I thought. I do miss the conferencing in of people to chat with like 5 people all together, but I've been getting a long without it. And plus most of my friends either have unlimited text/data and they are on another IM client. So I guess it depends on how much you use it now and if the other ways of communicating with your friends will work good enough. For myself, texting other IM clients have been good enough since I only communicate with 5 or 6 people on a day to day basis. Now if you have over 10 people, then you probably will miss it a lot.
    06-14-09 03:06 PM
    Want an iPhone, but can't

I can't because being in the midwest the only choice we have is verizon and altell

mind you bb is the only reason to keep using a blackberry

why else in todays world of innovation would sticking a coin behind the battery plate to push the click screen back to clicking and having to pull your battery our regulary be acceptable?

rim...a one trick pony
    06-14-09 04:00 PM
    i thought i would miss bbm, but my wife got an iphone a day after me and i've been good to go since. just a few days though. i like the threaded text so much though, that it makes up for it!
    06-14-09 04:59 PM
    stuck with BB
    06-14-09 06:37 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD