I have a difficult time seeing Apple allowing Verizon to put anything on the iPhone. There's not a single carrier reference when you get an iPhone, no logo, no splash screen, no pre-installed apps AT&T are trying to pimp.

I'd be stunned if Apple allowed Verizon to add all their crap to the phone.

As to the commercials... yes, Verizon is poking fun at AT&T's coverage.... but their using the iPhone as the central image. Fairly sure that kind of negative product placement pisses Steve Jobs off.

I totally see them dangling the carrot to Verizon and then letting AT&T get the final bid with some concessions to expand the network coverage.

And yes, I know that putting the iPhone on Verizon would be good ($$$) for Apple, but when has Apple done anything for the sake of making a buck?
    Well considering Verizon allowed the Droid to be released without any Verizon software (except visual voicemail) I dont see this as an issue anymore. Now the logo, yea Im sure Verizon would be reluctant but would give in to having their logo not on the phone. Also the app store isnt an issue because the Droid just has the Android Market and no Verizon app store. I really dont see these as roadblocks any more.

Also the old roadblock of Apple not allowing retailers to sell the phone is now over as we know Wal-Mart, Radio Shack and other retailers are now selling the iPhone. That had been a HUGE sticking point originally because Verizon didnt want to leave their other sellers out.
    11-10-09 09:52 AM
    I haven't had the opportunity to play with the Droid yet but you're saying that VZ Nav and their music service aren't on there? (Granted, you can take them off) Just the physical logo and the splash screen?
    11-11-09 04:03 PM
    I haven't had the opportunity to play with the Droid yet but you're saying that VZ Nav and their music service aren't on there? (Granted, you can take them off) Just the physical logo and the splash screen?
    Nope. VZ Nav and Rhapsody are not on the phone. The phone does say "Verizon" on it. Also in the Androind Market, there are tabs labeled "Apps" "Games" and "Verizon". Under the "Verizon tab, the only Verizon apps are visual voice mail and my verizon. The other apps under that tab are apps that Verizon thinks would be good on the phone.

I was surprised that there wasn't more Verizon branding all over the device.
    11-11-09 05:06 PM
    I don't really care about the whole iPhone going/not going to Verizon crap. But
    even if this commercial was aimed at "insulting" the iPhone, why would that
    mean that Verizon wouldn't want the iPhone if they had the opportunity? Just
    because they made some negative ads that means they won't want it and/or
    Apple won't accept them?

Jon Gruden said harsh things about ESPN and works for them now. Johnny
    Damon once said "I would never sign with the Yankees." and he did.
    11-11-09 05:26 PM
    yet another indication:

http://www.theiphoneblog.com/2009/11...ontent=Twitter

The ad:

This is a world of “nope,” “nuh-uh,” and “sorry, Charlie.”

A world of smiling denial. Petty tyrannies that have made their way into our cell phones. Into the very way we choose to speak to another human being. There are dozens of doesn’ts. Doesn’t all customization. Doesn’t run multiple apps. Doesn’t allow you to swap out batteries. doesn’t allow open development. These arrogant little devices are barely worth more than the pocket link they rest upon. Because now there’s a phone so smart, so strong. So subservient to its user, it refuses to include “doesn’t” in its dictionary app.

In a world of doesn’t. Droid Does."

"Petty tyrannies" "arrogant"

If theyre not taking shots at Apple/iphone I dont know what else will convince you.
    11-15-09 11:08 AM
    The Fact is Verizons network is better, The Iphone didn't care that at&t's network was bad and the iphone just went with the money and ran. or maybe the iphone isn't that great of a phone and it fits just great with a inferior network. I have a Blackberry because it's a great phone! I have a ipod touch to play music! I had at&t for 2 years and that was 2 years to long! Go Verizon, Go Big Red! There's A Map For That!
    11-15-09 11:57 AM
    The Fact is Verizons network is better, The Iphone didn't care that at&t's network was bad and the iphone just went with the money and ran. or maybe the iphone isn't that great of a phone and it fits just great with a inferior network. I have a Blackberry because it's a great phone! I have a ipod touch to play music! I had at&t for 2 years and that was 2 years to long! Go Verizon, Go Big Red! There's A Map For That!
    The Verizon network may be better now, but lets see what happens when millions of of users on the Verizon network switch to the iPhone, millions of AT&T iPhone users switch to Verizon for the iPhone, and million of other users switch to Verizon for the iPhone. If the network still holds up then, congratulations, but I really think Verizon will experience the same fate as AT&T.

Even though AT&T in my area is incredible and is not bogged down by the iPhone at all.
    11-15-09 01:32 PM
    And yes, I know that putting the iPhone on Verizon would be good ($$$) for Apple, but when has Apple done anything for the sake of making a buck?
    Are you kidding? You really had to be joking, right?

I'm sure you were because anyone of us that has purchased any Apple product know's they are out to make great products and sell them for a premium price and then sell lots of different add ons.......to make a buck.

Firewire, proprietary monitor ports, no interchangeable battery, product refresh's every 4 months, lots of proprietary software, etc. All of us that own Apple products love them but we also know we have to pay the price. Apple would be nuts to not expand to the largest network, and the best network in the USA.

How many of you that switched from VZW to AT&T will go back if the iPhone goes to VZW? I would guess 60 to 70% (and I'm probably guessing low - remember, this is just for those that switched from VZW to AT&T).

On all fronts it is a smart move for both Apple and VZW to move forward with this. The real loser will end up being RIM if they can't get their act together with fresh products (not just re-hased products). Android software on phones by many manufacturers will run 2nd to the iPhone on VZW and AT&T. RIM will be a distant 3rd then WIMO and Palm (if they even survive). I'm sure somewhere in there the next big thing will come along but it will not knock iPhone and Android out as Apple and Google just have too many resources at their fingertips.

iPhone on VZW before 2010 ends and Android (with all the new phones on VZW thru 6/10) will really put a hurting on RIM's VZW market share by end of 2010. Write it down.
    11-15-09 02:30 PM
    I don't really care about the whole iPhone going/not going to Verizon crap. But
    even if this commercial was aimed at "insulting" the iPhone, why would that
    mean that Verizon wouldn't want the iPhone if they had the opportunity? Just
    because they made some negative ads that means they won't want it and/or
    Apple won't accept them?

Jon Gruden said harsh things about ESPN and works for them now. Johnny
    Damon once said "I would never sign with the Yankees." and he did.
    AMEN BROTHERS AND SISTERS! Ain't that the truth!

Business is Business, that's why Gruden is on on ESPN, Damon's with the Yanks, and why so many companies patent technologies and then allow other companies to use those technologies they patent (for a price of course).

Great post!
    11-15-09 02:35 PM
    At&t has never had a good network ever!!!!!!! I had that dumb network in 2000 and 2001 when the iphone wasn't around and the call got droped all the time and i couldn't even get coverage in some places, it's got nothing to do with the number off people with iphones on the network it has to do with the network there really isn't any coverage. It's bad .
    11-15-09 02:56 PM
    At&t has never had a good network ever!!!!!!! I had that dumb network in 2000 and 2001 when the iphone wasn't around and the call got droped all the time and i couldn't even get coverage in some places, it's got nothing to do with the number off people with iphones on the network it has to do with the network there really isn't any coverage. It's bad .
    Did you just base your opinion on At&t's network from 2000 and 2001.. LMAO! I've heard it all, btw this is 2009.. just fyi.
    11-16-09 09:32 AM
    Did you just base your opinion on At&t's network from 2000 and 2001.. LMAO! I've heard it all, btw this is 2009.. just fyi.
    And some things never change!!
    11-16-09 04:18 PM
    And some things never change!!
    In the last two years or so I've had absolutely perfect 1.5-2 mbps 3G coverage in SW Florida so yes... yes they did.
    11-16-09 07:20 PM
    I just can't wait for the commercials that Apple and VZW come up with together, it'll be WinMo and AT&T targeted all in one commercial!
    11-18-09 06:34 PM
    I just can't wait for the commercials that Apple and VZW come up with together, it'll be WinMo and AT&T targeted all in one commercial!
    Why would Apple target AT&T? Just because VZW would get the iPhone (NOT) doesn't mean they will leave AT&T so why would they target them. The battle is between VZW and AT&T and the Roid(and the phone after that.. phone after that.. phone after that) vs. iPhone.

Apple doesn't need VZW one bit.
    Last edited by Entertainment72; 11-18-09 at 07:25 PM.
    11-18-09 07:19 PM
    Apple doesn't seem to have a lawsuit against Verizon like att does for false portrayal.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    11-18-09 08:04 PM
    Why would Apple target AT&T? Just because VZW would get the iPhone (NOT) doesn't mean they will leave AT&T so why would they target them. The battle is between VZW and AT&T and the Roid(and the phone after that.. phone after that.. phone after that) vs. iPhone.

Apple doesn't need VZW one bit.
    It was in posted in jest, merely drawing similarities on their advertising styles, they both full on attack their competition.
    11-18-09 10:05 PM
    I can't wait to read the I told you so posts.
    11-20-09 12:52 AM
    If I'm not mistaken, didn't VZW have a chance when the iPhone was going on the market to get it with their network? But VZW refused to go with iTunes and have the applications being sorted by Apple and the pricing of the phone to be Apple's price? Apple asked all other carriers including AT&T and AT&T said they'll go with Apple's T&C. VZW lost it two years ago, and I highly doubt Apple will want to go with them again. Apple made their choice, and I bet you, they'll stay with it.

Until the rumors stop, which has been going on for the last 1.5-2 years ... I'm highly doubting the "I told you so's" will ever happen

I say - stop doing the posts about this VZW getting iphone, vzw not getting iphone, iphone fanboys are stupid etc etc... and just wait. Doing these posts every week or every other week is just old news.... until you find some concrete information about Apple switching to VZW it's pretty much dead weight that is being pushed around every week/other week.
    11-21-09 09:09 PM
    If I'm not mistaken, didn't VZW have a chance when the iPhone was going on the market to get it with their network? But VZW refused to go with iTunes and have the applications being sorted by Apple and the pricing of the phone to be Apple's price? Apple asked all other carriers including AT&T and AT&T said they'll go with Apple's T&C. VZW lost it two years ago, and I highly doubt Apple will want to go with them again. Apple made their choice, and I bet you, they'll stay with it.

Until the rumors stop, which has been going on for the last 1.5-2 years ... I'm highly doubting the "I told you so's" will ever happen

I say - stop doing the posts about this VZW getting iphone, vzw not getting iphone, iphone fanboys are stupid etc etc... and just wait. Doing these posts every week or every other week is just old news.... until you find some concrete information about Apple switching to VZW it's pretty much dead weight that is being pushed around every week/other week.
    You have a point, but the AT&T/Apple relationship is rocky at best right now and is full of "he said, she said." Apple has made it clear that they feel AT&T is holding them back and there's no doubt in my mind that they are at least open to the idea of going to other carriers. And I can tell you right now that Apple lost at least one 3G to 3G(s) upgrade because of still being with AT&T. And I doubt we're the only family that refuses to buy another iPhone until it's on another carrier...
    11-22-09 01:31 AM
    Hey I just post the facts as they come. This isnt another "Im a VZW fanboy so I know the iphone will come" thread. Those are 100% baseless.

So far there's ZERO real evidence VZW will see an iphone anytime soon. The only STITCH of "evidence," and I use the word VERY loosely here, is that Chinese rumor; but remember this is the SAME rehash of the "never-happened" rumor from last summor of the 2.8" iphone. So you HAVE to take it with a huge grain of salt since it was BS last summer and now just rehashed- doesnt make it any more credible this time around either!

So far there's LOTS of evidence of anti-Apple/anti-iphone VZW marketing during a period in which talks for a 2010 release, 7-8 months from now in June-July, would be finalized by now being almost December already. These are cold hard fact.

IMO anyone who believes Apple would allow to take low blows at them and Jobs (especially that print ad about tyrannical practices I posted a page or so back, clearly aimed at Apple/Jobs) WHILE in talks to make a VZW iphone are NAIVE. Yes, huge money in the deal, but what is a LOT of Apple's success based on? Reputation!

Lets also look at LTE. No one knows when VZW will get LTE out of the gate, 2010 is an ESTIMATION and only a handful of markets. Apple DEFINITELY wont make a CDMA/EVDO-only (non-LTE) iphone, I think everyone can pretty much agree on that at this point. Im sorry but I dont see LTE in enough markets or released by the summer iphone release time frame to get a VZW out in 2010. MAYBE 2011-2012 when LTE is in full swing, but I seriously doubt June/July 2010 in a mere 7-8 months from today

Att/Apple might be rocky, but Apple is MAKING MONEY. Thats 100% the key, theyre selling a boatload of devices on ATT so its still a good relationship for them with no end in sight to the sales numebers. Also, Apple will NEVER give up control of the app ecosystem to VZW's controlling ways. Apple/VZW are alike in many ways, and I see headbutting in a few key areas as to control over the platform and app store

Will the iphone come to VZW? At some point, yes more than likely
    Will it come to VZW in 2010? Doubtful at best.
    Last edited by stuaw11; 11-22-09 at 12:12 PM.
    11-22-09 11:57 AM
    Hey I just post the facts as they come. This isnt another "Im a VZW fanboy so I know the iphone will come" thread. Those are 100% baseless.

So far there's ZERO real evidence VZW will see an iphone anytime soon. The only STITCH of "evidence," and I use the word VERY loosely here, is that Chinese rumor; but remember this is the SAME rehash of the "never-happened" rumor from last summor of the 2.8" iphone. So you HAVE to take it with a huge grain of salt since it was BS last summer and now just rehashed- doesnt make it any more credible this time around either!

So far there's LOTS of evidence of anti-Apple/anti-iphone VZW marketing during a period in which talks for a 2010 release, 7-8 months from now in June-July, would be finalized by now being almost December already. These are cold hard fact.

IMO anyone who believes Apple would allow to take low blows at them and Jobs (especially that print ad about tyrannical practices I posted a page or so back, clearly aimed at Apple/Jobs) WHILE in talks to make a VZW iphone are NAIVE. Yes, huge money in the deal, but what is a LOT of Apple's success based on? Reputation!

Lets also look at LTE. No one knows when VZW will get LTE out of the gate, 2010 is an ESTIMATION and only a handful of markets. Apple DEFINITELY wont make a CDMA/EVDO-only (non-LTE) iphone, I think everyone can pretty much agree on that at this point. Im sorry but I dont see LTE in enough markets or released by the summer iphone release time frame to get a VZW out in 2010. MAYBE 2011-2012 when LTE is in full swing, but I seriously doubt June/July 2010 in a mere 7-8 months from today

Att/Apple might be rocky, but Apple is MAKING MONEY. Thats 100% the key, theyre selling a boatload of devices on ATT so its still a good relationship for them with no end in sight to the sales numebers. Also, Apple will NEVER give up control of the app ecosystem to VZW's controlling ways. Apple/VZW are alike in many ways, and I see headbutting in a few key areas as to control over the platform and app store

Will the iphone come to VZW? At some point, yes more than likely
    Will it come to VZW in 2010? Doubtful at best.
    The thing I find hilarious is how the ATT fanbois/Anti Verizon folks all make these ridiculous statements like yours saying, "iPhone will never go to Verizon" or "Apple will not make a cdma iPhone" or "Verizon hurt Apples feelings so they wont make an iPhone for Verizon". You all sound repetitive and stupid. Nobody knows what is going on in boardroom meetings, R&D or engineering/testing. SO unless you work in these departments then quit making these statements. Until next summer comes and goes with no hint of a CDMA iPhone before then, we wont know for sure.
    11-22-09 01:42 PM
    We've all heard it:

- Verizon's superior network vs AT&T
    - The iPhone as a device is far superior to anything Verizon has (Droid too)

So, if/when the iPhone comes to Verizon, all the Verizon iPhone customers can download the iToilet app, which directs you via GPS to the nearest empty crapper, while the AT&T iPhone users wander aimlessly (frantically) from gas station to gas station.

Fantastic. I can't wait. And the talking monkey app is so useful.

Hope this post has not curbed your enthusiasm.... for the Verizon iPhone that is.
    11-22-09 10:13 PM
    I think the iPhone should come to Sprint. That'd be the ultimate kick in the sack to the Big Red Devil.
    11-23-09 01:23 AM
    It's official.. Apple is on the attack.. so Apple + AT&T vs. Verizon and... and.. Motorola? LMMFAO!
    11-23-09 05:19 PM
99 1234
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD