Built for Business - Learn more about BlackBerry KEY2
    This sounds familiar. Interesting article. Points out that I phone might be getting stale. I put the link in as the comments are very interesting.

Now, Verizon employees too steering people away from the iPhone

A curious story is unfolding - the two biggest US carriers seem to have their employees discouraging users from buying the iPhone. First, we heard reports about AT&T employees actively pushing phones other than the iPhone to customers (AT&T replied officially calling such accusations far-fetched.)

And now, more and more people are joining in to point out that theyve had similar experiences in Verizon Wireless stores. Employees there were quick to point out some of the downsides the iPhone have, but also make up some facts as thats our only explanation for the following phrases:

They released the iPhone 4S because Steve Jobs died so they just threw in a couple more features and pushed it out.
    Apples servers are really small and when you use Siri it normally redirects to Google anyway.
    Every icon looks alike on your homescreen and its really hard to find applications.

Thats just some pieces of what blogger Jeff Stern heard when he visited a Verizon store. So why are employees driving people away from iPhones?

The most obvious answer would be commissions. It seems that iPhones sold dont translate into any commissions for employees, while Android and possibly other devices sold would bring up a bigger paycheck. Another thing to consider on Verizon is that the carrier is actively pushing its 4G LTE network, and the iPhone happens to not be compatible with LTE yet as opposed to most Android phones.

Finally, Apple doesnt allow carriers to pre-load their favorite bloatware on devices. Good for end-users, but not for the operators.

Wed love to hear from someone who works at Verizon and can give us some additional off-the-record info on this. Feel free to tip us with info or just join in the discussion below - why do carriers steer users away from the iPhone?

source: Jeff Stern via Daring Fireball
    08-07-12 01:52 PM
    This made the rounds last week. The general concensus seems to be that AT&T and Verizon are trying break Apple's hold on the premium smartphone market.

AT&T denied the claims but I didn't see any response from Verizon.
    08-07-12 02:06 PM
    Just goes to show..... in relationship to BB10.... RIM has to get decent marketing and have the carriers on oboard... Both Versizon and ATT do not have nearly the commitment Sprint has made to IPhones... Sprint is on the hook for 20 Billion dollars in Iphones..... As mentioned... Apple is not a great price point any more... so the Carrieirs should be looking to Alternatives... will mean RIM may have some wiggle roon.....
    08-07-12 02:12 PM
    I agree if RIM can make BB10 a head turning user experience, it could just put a dent in Iphone and other markets.
    08-07-12 02:23 PM
    Apple makes the cost of subsidising the iPhone very expensive. Sprint is contractrually committed to the 20 billion worth of iPhones, but Verizon and AT&T are not. Given both Verizon and AT&T moving to shared data plans that profit based on 4G usage, this is not surprising. This will probably change when the iPhone 5 comes out and is capable of munching gobs of 4G data thus making new subscribers with the new shared data bundles more profitable.
    08-07-12 02:30 PM
    Thats just some pieces of what blogger Jeff Stern heard when he visited a Verizon store. So why are employees driving people away from iPhones?
    With research this extensive I guess I will have to take this as an absolute fact
    08-07-12 02:36 PM
    Of course I have seen many RIM articles based on the same research lol. If you go over to Imore and check some of thier blogs there is a small base that is complaining that the Iphone needs to be updated and changed to show some of the advance of tech. Siri did not really impress a lot folks that own Iphones. They played with it and soon became bored with it. I really think that an Iphone that is the same but just 4G LTE isnt what the fan boys are after. they want new innovation. i see a slight chance for RIM if executed properly. Its all someones opinion and this is mine.
    08-07-12 02:47 PM
    I believe, in the case of Verizon, they don't want to sell another non LTE device. Verizon wants to stop supporting CDMA on their network. They know every 3G phone they sell is [at least] two more years and they have to keep CDMA. BlackBerry phones could have been pushed by VZW if they had concentrated effort to get LTE on every phone.
    08-07-12 04:38 PM
    Of course I have seen many RIM articles based on the same research lol. If you go over to Imore and check some of thier blogs there is a small base that is complaining that the Iphone needs to be updated and changed to show some of the advance of tech. Siri did not really impress a lot folks that own Iphones. They played with it and soon became bored with it. I really think that an Iphone that is the same but just 4G LTE isnt what the fan boys are after. they want new innovation. i see a slight chance for RIM if executed properly. Its all someones opinion and this is mine.
    What they want is Android. But they refuse to switch platforms. I'm an Apple product user,
    or a "fan boy", as you put it. I get a little frustrated with the OS sometimes. I just don't
    expect innovation for every update release.
    08-07-12 05:01 PM
    Just goes to show..... in relationship to BB10.... RIM has to get decent marketing and have the carriers on oboard... Both Versizon and ATT do not have nearly the commitment Sprint has made to IPhones... Sprint is on the hook for 20 Billion dollars in Iphones..... As mentioned... Apple is not a great price point any more... so the Carrieirs should be looking to Alternatives... will mean RIM may have some wiggle roon.....
    To me what this story says is that RIM needs to have customers aboard. If people want to buy BB10 devices, it won't matter what the carriers tell them to do.
    08-07-12 05:11 PM
    I thought this was happening because the I5 is coming out next month and they don't want to deal with a tidal wave of returns when that happens, or bad PR from customers past their 30 day return periods. If customers are coming in the door, sell them something, but not something that will almost immediately be returned.
    08-07-12 05:17 PM
    With research this extensive I guess I will have to take this as an absolute fact

What I'd like to see, since you'd never get an official statement from Verizon is to have a group of reporters/bloggers checking stores across multiple states

Go into a Verizon and AT&T store with a BlackBerry in hand.

And say "I'd like to upgrade my phone"
    - If they show you a BlackBerry, make note
    - If they take you right to iPhone make note
    - If they take you right to Android make note
    IF they ask you what you're looking for, ask their recommendation.

Follow up with an Interview leaving the Employee's name out asking them about their commission structure, If they know their commission per device or how does it work, are there LTE bonuses? etc.

with a broad interview base you can see, is it internal policy via commission changes to push NON Apple, is it a preference by the single sales person at 1 AT&T store and 1 Verizon store?

lets do some investigative reporting Mobile nations bloggers
    08-07-12 05:25 PM
    I know it's good fun to malign the carriers. I have no reason to like them either, but we have to remember what their business is.

1. They sell data and the more their customers use, the better they like it.

2. Verizon has a shiny new 4G LTE Network, in which they have invested billions.

3. Should their strategy, tactics and execution be to sell 4G LTE devices, which consume more data? I would say yes.

I don't see any devious underhand plot to steer customers away from iPhone. I do see what makes sense for them to do. Sell 4G LTE devices, which make use of the billion $ network that is the core of their entire business plan.

What's wrong with that?
    08-07-12 08:24 PM
    Not sure why they would do this unless they want to lose customers. People will buy the iPhone regardless of what the sales bit** thinks.

The iPhone also seems to be a handy way to justify the carriers constant rate increases.

iPhone: Data caps, upgrade fees blamed on iPhone by AT&T, Verizon

I guess they think they can continue to make these margins off the back of android. Good luck to them.
    08-08-12 07:56 PM
    This is a big reason I remain an iPhone guy. I hate my carrier(AT&T) with everything inside me. Apple pretty consistently makes AT&T it's b1tch. Flatly refusing to allow them to feck with the end user experience at all. No carrier is allowed to put a skin over top of ios. No carrier is allowed to so much as put their logo ON the phone itself. I love that.

"you wanna sell iPhones? This is how it's gonna be or kindly eff off."
    Last edited by tchocky77; 08-14-12 at 11:12 PM.
    pilsbury likes this.
    08-10-12 10:49 AM
    I can imagine ATT and Verizon not wanting to sell iPhones and pushing other products. The subsidy on iPhones is significantly more than on other smartphones. Typically, the subsidy is $300, but for iPhone, it's $420, about $120 difference. Sell a few million of them, and it adds up real fast. Both carriers would much rather sell Android or anything else for that matter.
    08-10-12 11:40 PM
    I can imagine ATT and Verizon not wanting to sell iPhones and pushing other products. The subsidy on iPhones is significantly more than on other smartphones. Typically, the subsidy is $300, but for iPhone, it's $420, about $120 difference. Sell a few million of them, and it adds up real fast. Both carriers would much rather sell Android or anything else for that matter.
    I understand that too. A month ago my wife upgraded from her BB9700 to an i4. The sales rep was REALLY pushing the SG3, almost to the point of becoming very annoying.
    08-11-12 08:28 AM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD