After speaking with my local VZW store, I am highly doubting that we'll be getting the iPhone. The guy said that it was just all speculation, basically telling me all the rumors were false. If this is the case, then I see a Storm2 in my future. I've seen in other forums that if VZW gets the iPhone, it will be when the 4G is released. Does anyone have a clue when the 4G is scheduled for release?
    02-24-10 12:54 PM
    Around June usually but i am thinking this version will not be on VZ. People keep saying not until LTE (Long term evolution) becomes the standard among carriers, the iphone will remain with at&t. Now this topic has been touched on extensively so you should search the forums for the threads. (Dont be surprised if people give you a hard time for this).
    02-24-10 01:13 PM
    From modmyi.com

Tim Cook is Apple's second-in-command, the guy to whom Steve Jobs handed the reins of the company when he was sick last year. If - or when - Jobs decides to retire, it'll most likely be Cook who runs Apple. He's a gray corporate type as opposed to Steve Jobs's too-much-coffee-man personality, but he is considered one of the best managers in the industry. So when it was time for Apple to face the financial world, of course it was Cook who went, rather than Jobs. Cook didn't call people names in the meeting, but he did lay out Apple's plans in a way that the money people like. No bombshells were dropped, but he did indicate that the single-carrier relationship with AT&T was likely to continue, that the A4 chipset would be at the center of Apple's plans, and that the company was sticking with Mac OS X for the foreseeable future.

In a sit-down with David Bailey, an analyst with investment firm Goldman Sachs, Cook sang the praises of Apple's flagship iMac desktop computer, which he called "very key," adding that "it will continue to be very key." The iMac's sales have really propelled Apple's growth during the bad economy: it has sold faster than the average computer market in all but one quarter in the past year and a half. Noting that Apple sold 10 million Macs last year in a market where people bought 300 million PCs Cook said the sky is the limit for the iMac. "I think people will continue to want a very gorgeous, large screen, all-in-one, simple to use, very elegant machine," he said, "and we're going to continue to deliver it."

The iPhone and iPod touch are also bringing Apple big money, with iPod touch sales alone doubling since last year. Cook referred to the iPhone as a "runaway hit," and said that the app market was a "virtuous cycle," with more app sales bringing more developers to the platform and driving even more sales. With Apple poised to release the third iPhone OS-based product line, Bailey was curious if the company was moving away from Mac OS X. Cook made it clear that both platforms figured large in Apple's future plans. "What you're seeing from Apple is that the Mac OS is hugely scaleable," Cook said. "That's a huge competitive advantage... It allows us to innovate at an enormously fast speed with many fewer people." He said Apple would continue making its own chips rather than buying them from other people, saying they "had the best knowledge of what we wanted the silicon to do." he said. He noted that Apple had a long history designing its own chipsets, recalling that when Macs were based on the Motorola PowerPC, "Apple always personally crafted the northbridge and southbridge chipset, and so it's not new to us."

Regarding the latest addition to Apple's lineup, Cook revealed that he's been using the iPad for six months now and - in line with what a number of pundits who have gotten hands on time with the new device (even those who were initially disappointed) have reported - Cook gushed that "the experience is absolutely incredible." He asserted what has been the party line since the iPad announcement, which is the only reason people buy netbooks is the price, and that people quickly tire of dealing with the tiny computers. "When they play with the iPad and experience the magic of using it... I have a hard time believing they're going to go for a netbook," he said.

Cook said that Apple will be selling the iPad through its direct sales channels, such as its online and Apple Stores, and indirect channels such as the Apple Retail outlets at Best Buy stores and Apple premium resellers outside the US. He made no reference to AT&T selling the devices directly, but indicated that the retail plans could change over time, saying "where it goes and how fast it goes, we'll see." He did indicate that Apple will be opening close to 50 stores this year, including its first Apple Store in Shanghai and a new one in London that he said would be "jaw dropping."

Cook reaffirmed Apple's allegiance to AT&T in the US, saying that having a close relationship with just one carrier lets Apple "innovate and work with that carrier on a feature that would be difficult for multiple carriers to provide," such as Visual Voicemail which Apple and AT&T worked on before the original iPhone shipped. He said Apple made its deals "on a country-by-country basis," noting that there are different sorts of relationships between carriers and their customers in the nearly 100 countries in which the iPhone is available.
    Cook also referred to Apple TV as a "hobby…" but didn't say whose hobby it was. "We're continuing to invest in it because our gut tells us there's something there," he said, but averred that Apple has no interest in making TVs. "Today, the go-to-market model for Apple TV is very difficult," he said, "because it would seem that that go-to-market model would lead to the TV. And we have no interest in being in the TV market."
    02-24-10 01:28 PM
    Funny... Because I was talking to my local Verizon store and they say the Verizon will be getting the iPhone sometime in the near future. Just can't trust those CSR's I guess?

I think your right though, Verizon doesn't want to deal with POS Apple and their iPhone. Ahhh... I feel better now that I got my Apple hate out for the day
    02-24-10 01:31 PM
    It looks like vzw will not be getting the iPhone in 2010...maybe in 2012 when the world is gonna end.
    02-24-10 01:36 PM
    Funny... Because I was talking to my local Verizon store and they say the Verizon will be getting the iPhone sometime in the near future. Just can't trust those CSR's I guess?

I think your right though, Verizon doesn't want to deal with POS Apple and their iPhone. Ahhh... I feel better now that I got my Apple hate out for the day

CSR's dont know anything
    02-24-10 01:52 PM
    It wouldn't benefit Apple to make two different iPhones for both carriers. GSM can be used for many countries; CDMA phones can't. Making the CDMA phone would cost Apple even more money and it would only be able to be used in America.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    02-24-10 02:15 PM
    It wouldn't benefit Apple to make two different iPhones for both carriers. GSM can be used for many countries; CDMA phones can't. Making the CDMA phone would cost Apple even more money and it would only be able to be used in America.

thank for being a negative nancy or nick if you are a guy.
    Last edited by baberz; 02-24-10 at 02:23 PM.
    02-24-10 02:19 PM
    Not going to make 2 versions? They already do! China is CDMA and they have a version of the IPhone. Will VZW have one? Probably. Once again, its all about the money. Why do you believe that Apple would be satisfied with one carrier? I do believe that it will probably be when LTE is the standard.

And please, the rep in the store said so stories are so meaningless.

02-24-10 02:45 PM
    thank for being a negative nancy or nick if you are a guy.
    I'd say mitchell is a guys name
    02-24-10 03:06 PM
    China is CDMA? never knew that. Don't they still just use the GSM version though?

02-24-10 03:15 PM
    I'd say mitchell is a guys name
    I'd say so as well...but you can't be too careful around here.
    02-24-10 03:18 PM
    believe it when i see it
    02-24-10 03:19 PM
    02-24-10 03:38 PM
    Mind explaining that one to South Korea? How about China? Japan? Israel? Voice and data coverage for CDMA for *all* these locations is quite extensive.

There's a lot more CDMA out there than people seem to realize. And for every rumor people put out here about it somehow disappearing into nothingness year after year, people are still happily roaming outside the US without GSM phones.

It's admittedly not everywhere, but to say CDMA is a USA-only thing is quite silly.

That said, I still think any sort of "iphone on verizon" rumor is little more than wishful thinking. The droid commercials last fall should be proof enough of that. AT&T has their exclusivity deal, and likely isn't going to let go of it. I'm willing to bet my Darth Goofy action figure they'll bleed money to keep Apple in their side of the court. Meanwhile, VZW is out on the warpath to prove that the iPhone isn't the end-all be-all in PDAs. What's done is done.
    Last edited by Polychrome; 02-24-10 at 03:50 PM.
    02-24-10 03:46 PM
    Not going to make 2 versions? They already do! China is CDMA and they have a version of the IPhone. Will VZW have one? Probably. Once again, its all about the money. Why do you believe that Apple would be satisfied with one carrier? I do believe that it will probably be when LTE is the standard.

And please, the rep in the store said so stories are so meaningless.

Dude you have to fact check before you post. China uses the GSM version of the iPhone as that is the only version that Apple makes.
    02-24-10 03:59 PM

Wrong, in part. There are about 40 countries that CDMA can be used for voice and some even for data. Just clearing the air
    02-24-10 04:03 PM
    It doesnt matter how many countries CDMA is in. There is a GREAT disparity between global CDMA and GSM users.

CDMA worldwide- about 512 million in 40 countries
    GSM worldwide- about 4.2 BILLION in 212 countries.

you do the math if you had to pick one in order to support only 1 device. For every 1 CDMA customer there are almost 9 GSM customers out there.
    Last edited by stuaw11; 02-24-10 at 07:20 PM.
    02-24-10 07:13 PM
    Wrong, in part. There are about 40 countries that CDMA can be used for voice and some even for data. Just clearing the air
    Ahh, haven't really looked up anything about carriers and stuff. Never knew that. Oh well, at least I learned something today.
    02-24-10 07:38 PM
    i don't think verizon is getting the iphone.its 2010 and there are no vital signs pointing that way. i think apple will negotiate with other carriers such as tmobile or sprint for the iphone.
    02-24-10 07:44 PM
    It doesnt matter how many countries CDMA is in. There is a GREAT disparity between global CDMA and GSM users.

CDMA worldwide- about 512 million in 40 countries
    GSM worldwide- about 4.2 BILLION in 212 countries.

you do the math if you had to pick one in order to support only 1 device. For every 1 CDMA customer there are almost 9 GSM customers out there.
    I will not dispute the numbers. But if any negotiations between VZW and Apple hit it off, then opening another line of devices as RIM did to produce a device (ie, Storms and tour) that would work CDMA in the states and GSM over seas would grab a lot of folks. As matter of fact on any CDMA network.
    02-24-10 07:53 PM
    After speaking with my local VZW store, I am highly doubting that we'll be getting the iPhone. The guy said that it was just all speculation, basically telling me all the rumors were false. If this is the case, then I see a Storm2 in my future. I've seen in other forums that if VZW gets the iPhone, it will be when the 4G is released. Does anyone have a clue when the 4G is scheduled for release?
    Store reps know nothing. Some, and I mean SOME call center reps have some information based on their contacts but they'd be crazy to share it.

That is all I am going to say.
    02-24-10 08:18 PM
    It looks like vzw will not be getting the iPhone in 2010...maybe in 2012 when the world is gonna end.
    hahahahahaha wow
    02-24-10 10:09 PM
    But everyone knows that apple secretly wants the iphone on Verizon. And yeah they could make a world edition.

02-25-10 02:19 AM
    But everyone knows that apple secretly wants the iphone on Verizon. And yeah they could make a world edition.

Hmmm, not sure about that. I think that if that was the case there would be a deal stuck already. Apple giving at&t the ipad reaffirms they don't want a partnership with big red.
    02-25-10 07:00 AM
35 12
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD