View Poll Results: VZW customers: Who's buying iPhone 4 now or waiting for iPhone 5?

Voters
37. You may not vote on this poll
  • Buying iPhone 4 at launch

18 48.65%
  • Waiting for iPhone 5 in June/July

9 24.32%
  • Buying iPhone 4 at launch AND buying iPhone 5 in June/July

7 18.92%
  • Neither, waiting for iPhone 6

3 8.11%
    Just wanted to see what you guys are doing. I'm kind of on the fence about jumping on the iPhone 4 now or waiting until June/July to see what apple has in store for the iPhone 5. I really need an iPod since I really don't have one at the moment and although I really like my Droid Inc. it just really sucks as a music player. Also, dragging and dropping my songs from iTunes onto my sd card is a little cumbersome. Yeah, I know there's an app for something like this but I really think the iPhone will be more seemless in syncing my music. But, my biggest concern is that I know the iPhone 5 will be announced in a few months but I'm not sure that it will be released for VZW. So, that's why I'm a little hesitant in making the jump. The current iPhone will suit my needs just fine and I'm not obsessed with having a dual core processor, better cam, bigger ram, etc...but do I really want to be "stuck" with a 7 mos. old phone for an additional 20mos? I don't know what to do. So, I just want to know what will you guys be doing?
    Last edited by moni19; 01-21-11 at 10:16 AM.
    01-21-11 10:09 AM
    Why not:

1. Buy now (in or out of contract) and then sell when the iPhone 5 becomes available recouping cost for buying at retail

or

2. Buy now and only do a 1 year contract.

It doesn't really sound like you need to wait, so if you need a iPod now and a phone now... just make the jump.
    01-21-11 10:34 AM
    Why not:

1. Buy now (in or out of contract) and then sell when the iPhone 5 becomes available recouping cost for buying at retail

or

2. Buy now and only do a 1 year contract.

It doesn't really sound like you need to wait, so if you need a iPod now and a phone now... just make the jump.
    Yeah, that's another thing. I'm eligible for an annual upgrade now, so I can get the iPhone for the $199 promotional pricing or I can wait until July so I can apply my NE2 credit ($100) towards the purchase of the phone. Also there has been no mention if VZW will sell the iPhone on a one year contract. It says on the website that they are selling it on 2 year contracts for now. And I don't think there's an option for at&t for a one year contract for iPhones either....so, it's still a tough decision. Guess I have a few more weeks to decide. anyone else?
    01-21-11 11:01 AM
    Yeah i think it's either 2 year pricing or paying full retail for the phone. I don't think there's the one year contract option for the iphone.
    01-21-11 11:13 AM
    I believe if vzw contract is anything like at&t on getting the iphone 5, it will not be until early next year and not the July release like at&t. You will be waiting another whole year to get the iphone 5 through vzw.

Just something i heard, so not positive.
    01-21-11 12:25 PM
    Yeah i think it's either 2 year pricing or paying full retail for the phone. I don't think there's the one year contract option for the iphone.
    They don't advertise 1 years really (as they make the most $ on a 2 year), but from what I've been told you can do a 1 year contract on it, but not at the $199 price.
    01-21-11 08:57 PM
    They don't advertise 1 years really (as they make the most $ on a 2 year), but from what I've been told you can do a 1 year contract on it, but not at the $199 price.
    The reason I got the iphone I have has to do with the price I got it for. I would have not paid 200 bucks..I got it for a 100, refurbished with a cosmetic blemish, which is a tiny scratch that I had a hard time finding.

So, just an idea for those who still want an Iphone4 and want to pay 100-120 bucks (with the 2 year contract)..the "visual blemish" usually means some tiny spot somewhere. I think it's a great deal really to get a refurb. I couldn't pass it up, since the refurb phones run out quick and I made a quick decision.
    01-21-11 09:15 PM
    If you need it now, get it now. I personally would just get the iPhone 5 though. Pick up something off of cragslist now to hold you over, and then sell it again for the same price you bought it for.
    01-21-11 09:30 PM
    Waiting to see what will happen around June, unless something happens to the old one and we need to get one right away.

Here's the thing though...it's pretty clear that even if there is an update in June, it's still probably not going to be LTE. The only significant change that might happen is that the iphone could become a CDMA and GSM world phone (which is what I'm waiting for). So, if you don't need that capability or care about it then there may not be much reason to wait.
    01-22-11 02:40 AM
    Waiting to see what will happen around June, unless something happens to the old one and we need to get one right away.

Here's the thing though...it's pretty clear that even if there is an update in June, it's still probably not going to be LTE. The only significant change that might happen is that the iphone could become a CDMA and GSM world phone (which is what I'm waiting for). So, if you don't need that capability or care about it then there may not be much reason to wait.
    Yeah, I really do not care or need that feature. I guess I'm leaning more towards the iPhone 4. It's still a great phone even at 7 mos. old and you can't deny all the apps available. That's what sucks about Android....although they get pretty much the same apps as iOS, it generally takes a little longer to get them and they aren't as polished.

My only real concern about the iPhone 4 is the fact that the phone is mostly made of glass and I've seen it where someone drops it, the phone/screen can get really damaged. I don't know how many times I dropped my OG Droid but the screen still remained in tack. So, if the iPhone 5 has a different form factor or isn't completely made of glass, it might be best to wait. I just don't know anymore. I keep going back and forth.
    01-23-11 06:25 AM
    I have also talked to a VZW rep and the $100 at new every 2 doesn't apply to the iphone either
    01-23-11 05:09 PM
    I have also talked to a VZW rep and the $100 at new every 2 doesn't apply to the iphone either
    That would be wrong. As stated on vzw's website

Will existing customers be able to redeem their New Every Two credit?

Yes, existing customers will be able to take advantage of their New Every Two credit if eligible, and use it towards the purchase of iPhone (may not be available at all agent locations).
    iPhone 4. Verizon. It Begins.
    01-23-11 05:42 PM
    I would wait if the 5 would be LTE on Verizon.
    It's not...so I'm jumping on the Verizon iPhone as soon as my retailer has it.

If I'm not satisfied with it compared to my BB...I'll drop it like a bad habit.
    I already did that once on the D2, will do it again without thinking twice about it.
    01-24-11 12:04 PM
    I don't get NE2 until March 14, so I am patiently waiting until then to see if the launch goes OK and if there is any news towards a newer iPhone device coming out. I could be mistaken, but I don't recall any platform device on Verizon coming out with an updated model within half a year of the first release. Bold 9650 came a year later than the Tour. The Droid 2 came a year after the Droid 1. Verizon made a big deal about wanting to come out with the iPhone now, saying that a LTE version required major redesign. I doubt we'll see a new iPhone coming out on Verizon before 2012. Besides, LTE is going to be way more expensive than 3G. It'll be tiered data pricing at about $60-$80 a month for what you're paying now for 5GB / unlimited. It's very tempting to wait until June and see what happens, but unlimited data is available now and it likely won't be with an updated iPhone model.

I have the iPod Touch, which I love using, but I don't like the wi-fi only option. I am very interested in the iPhone 4 and will likely get it when my NE2 kicks in. I am not happy with the elimination of the NE2, because it makes it a lot harder to make the buying decision in the current time frame. It's your last NE2 discount, so you want to use it wisely. I am also interested in Android, but I don't like the idea of tinkering with the phone to get features. Everything I read about Android strongly encourages rooting the phone.
    01-26-11 03:30 AM
    Buying an iPhone 4 for my wife at launch. Even IF there is a VZW iPhone 5 in June/July that is LTE, it could be until the end of the LTE roll-out that my neck of the woods gets coverage.

Most importantly, my wife will be going from a dumb phone to the iPhone 4, which will be a huuuuuuuuuuuuuge step up for her. Any advancements the 5 has over the 4, will be unimportant for my wife, at least for a year or so.
    01-26-11 07:27 AM
    My NE2 is 3/13 I think Im going to actually wait until summer to see if Apple use the Qualcomm chips Ive heard they're going to use that will allow them 2 make the iPhone 5 available to both Verizon and ATT. I have a bb now and think I may just buy a used droid and use that until summer.
    01-29-11 01:56 AM
    **** No! I have an ipod touch and droid x with a bigger screen steve suck my d#$@
    01-29-11 04:28 AM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD