Found this on the BBC technology section, as you know - sharing is caring!

BBC News - Viewpoint: Apple's iPhone launches no longer excite

I have been saying this to people for quite some time now, glad to see other share my point of view!
    09-12-12 05:24 AM
    Well let's see when Twitter explodes again tonight and all the nerds are lining up again. If that is the modern definition of "no longer excite" Apple is still laughing all the way to the bank.
    09-12-12 05:39 AM
    This story is spot on, including that they make hordes of cash. I believe apple has peeked!!
    09-12-12 05:51 AM
    *yawns* People still love the iphone, just take a look at the quarterly sales report. Facts are > opinions.

Sent from my Sidekick 2 using Tapatalk
    09-12-12 05:53 AM
    This story is spot on, including that they make hordes of cash. I believe apple has peeked!!

Peeked with the iphone or as a company?

09-12-12 05:55 AM
    *yawns* People still love the iphone, just take a look at the quarterly sales report. Facts are > opinions.

I was in a mobile phone store the other day, one of the girls serving said she had an iPhone but really liked her boyfriends Galaxy S3 - she said she felt she would have to get an iPhone 5 though. When I enquired as to why she said "I'm a little embarrassed to say but I have spent over �1000 on music and applications, I feel like I can't move anywhere now"

Yes that's quite a lot of money spent holding her back!
    09-12-12 05:59 AM
    I was in a mobile phone store the other day, one of the girls serving said she had an iPhone but really liked her boyfriends Galaxy S3 - she said she felt she would have to get an iPhone 5 though. When I enquired as to why she said "I'm a little embarrassed to say but I have spent over �1000 on music and applications, I feel like I can't move anywhere now"

Music is no reason to hold back as iTunes music is DRM free. As for the apps, if they have an iPad, most iPhone apps will also run on the iPad, and it is likely that she has not used most of those apps in a long time. Still, those handful of apps that are used on a regular basis can add up, and it really does create an exit barrier.
    09-12-12 06:11 AM

Proof that the iPhone is just a gateway to the Apple ecosystem, which is the true killer product.

People get so snooty about the iPhone, when (IMHO), Apple's ecosystem is keeps people anchored. Making people think twice about leaving is a good thing for a corporation.
    Syrous44 likes this.
    09-12-12 06:13 AM
    I am aware the music is DRM free, I did say I'm pretty sure it will play on an Android device. But its the perception that she cant move. how did this get into her head?
    09-12-12 06:42 AM
    I am aware the music is DRM free, I did say I'm pretty sure it will play on an Android device. But its the perception that she cant move. how did this get into her head?
    She can't move the apps. And maybe she's used to using iCloud now. People get used to doing things a certain way. It takes an extra incentive to motivate them to pull up stakes and do something different. The same applies to the people who are used to using Google services, and like the way they work in Android. Microsoft is now working hard to create this same kind of experience in WP.

Increasingly, a smartphone is a portal to an ecosystem, or an appendage of it (choose your metaphor). This will drive choices as much as or more than "features". The tech consumer world will further segregate into "Apple people", "Windows people", and "Google people." Whether there will also be "BlackBerry people" depends on what RIM brings to the table in terms of ecosystem, and we just don't know yet.

So, the iPhone launch doesn't have to excite existing Apple people, but it does need to excite those who aren't dug in yet.
    09-12-12 07:45 AM
    If these launches don't excite can you imagine how much money they'll make when they actually do?
    pantlesspenguin likes this.
    09-12-12 07:58 AM
    Maybe they don't excite anymore, but they'll still sell a boatload of iPhone 5's.
    Even if it doesn't sell as well as the iPhone 4's - companies like RIM would LOVE to have Apples "disappointing" sales numbers.
    09-12-12 07:59 AM
    Maybe they don't excite anymore, but they'll still sell a boatload of iPhone 5's.
    Even if it doesn't sell as well as the iPhone 4's - companies like RIM would LOVE to have Apples "disappointing" sales numbers.
    It's launching on more carriers. Simply, just for that fact.
    09-12-12 08:01 AM

Yeah, I get the fact that she doesn't want to lose the apps, but, that was a personal choice. Besides, no different when apps and themes did not update between OS 5 to OS 6 to OS to 7/7.1, and none will update to the upcoming BB10.
    09-12-12 08:07 AM
    I talked to guy today whose sister works for foxconn. He told me they are making 1 million iPhones per month. Can't wait for BB 10 lauch to hopefully silence BB doubters.
    09-12-12 08:10 AM
    iPhone launches definitely still excite, and it would be foolish to think otherwise IMHO. How many other products create such a buzz the weeks before the announcement? Last night on my local news they were talking about the iPhone launch ahead of stories I thought would've been more newsworthy. I have pretty much zero interest in obtaining an iPhone, but I am definitely going to check out what all they're going to bring to the table in this release.
    09-12-12 08:13 AM
    iPhone launches definitely still excite, and it would be foolish to think otherwise IMHO. How many other products create such a buzz the weeks before the announcement? Last night on my local news they were talking about the iPhone launch ahead of stories I thought would've been more newsworthy. I have pretty much zero interest in obtaining an iPhone, but I am definitely going to check out what all they're going to bring to the table in this release.
    I might look it up tomorrow at some point... I certainly wont be glued to my screen!

I'm more interested in what's going on in the world of BB10.
    Last edited by codiak; 09-12-12 at 08:34 AM.
    09-12-12 08:31 AM
    Exciting or not, Apple sales speak for themselves. As someone else stated opinion < facts.

As for feeling like you've invested so much you can't move platforms, that comes with any device. I'd love to check out the nook, but I've invested in several Kindle books so I'll still to my Kindle App which works on all my idevices, Macbook, and PC. Perhaps if RIM had something, ANYTHING to anchor it's base with then they wouldn't be in the poor situation they are in now.
    09-12-12 08:44 AM
    Exciting or not, Apple sales speak for themselves. As someone else stated opinion < facts.

As for feeling like you've invested so much you can't move platforms, that comes with any device. I'd love to check out the nook, but I've invested in several Kindle books so I'll still to my Kindle App which works on all my idevices, Macbook, and PC. Perhaps if RIM had something, ANYTHING to anchor it's base with then they wouldn't be in the poor situation they are in now.
    You could always look into converting your Kindle titles provided you have no DRM on them, then you would have to strip that off first.
    09-12-12 09:04 AM
    As has been mentioned if you are in the Ecosystem that Apple has built you need a very big incentive to up sticks and move to the unknown.

After seeing my Samsung Galaxy SIII my husband liked it so much he fleetingly considered moving to Android. However he's just used to the way he's done things with the iphone and he's going to get the iphone5 when it's realeased as long as it has a 64G version. He's spent a lot of hours cataloguing his considerable music library in itunes and as the iphone works for what he does, even though he tells people about my amazing phone (his words) he's unlikely to move to it and I wouldn't expect him to.

The other day I was showing off my S3 to a friend who's looking to get a new phone, currently has an iPod. He was impressed however I suggested he wait and see the iphone 5 before making up his mind (as it's out imminently).

I did ask what my friend thought of waiting for the future RIM BB10 - he said he wasn't interested in an untested system, wasn't interested in waiting another 5-6 months for RIM, worse, he didn't think RIM would be around for much longer.

Meanwhile, my friend who used to work for RIM just ditched his Torch and bought the iphone 4S.
    09-12-12 09:14 AM
    As has been mentioned if you are in the Ecosystem that Apple has built you need a very big incentive to up sticks and move to the unknown.

After seeing my Samsung Galaxy SIII my husband liked it so much he fleetingly considered moving to Android. However he's just used to the way he's done things with the iphone and he's going to get the iphone5 when it's realeased as long as it has a 64G version. He's spent a lot of hours cataloguing his considerable music library in itunes and as the iphone works for what he does, even though he tells people about my amazing phone (his words) he's unlikely to move to it and I wouldn't expect him to.
    There's nothing stopping him really, as he can sync his iTunes to a Galaxy S3 -
    iTunes & Android: What Works and What Doesn't
    09-12-12 09:36 AM
    I showed the article to my friend just now (iphone and ipad user) and she said it was very true. People are still interested in what Apple is launching, however launches just aren't as exciting as they were when Steve Jobs was their leader - and launching.
    Last edited by JiveGirl14; 09-12-12 at 10:33 AM.
    09-12-12 10:26 AM
    There's nothing stopping him really, as he can sync his iTunes to a Galaxy S3 -
    iTunes & Android: What Works and What Doesn't
    I'll show him that. However chances are if he had to do any re-cataloguing/sorting etc, it would be a turn off (still). And I'd be worried about the "what doesn't work" compared to how seamless it is for him right now. Thanks for the share though.
    09-12-12 10:31 AM
    The iPhone 5 is very nice. iOS is the one that needs changing IMO. That being said, nothing about this event excited me. I do not like Metro and I would rather have a Lumia 920 after seeing this. I am also much more excited for BB10 and what the new Nexus devices will be like.

Here's to iOS 7 not looking like it is still in 2007 (not saying features, just general look and feel of UI, it's getting pretty stale).
    09-12-12 05:59 PM
    OK so I got up this morning and took a look at what all the fuss was about.

My reaction the the iPhone 5 was.... if you have a 4s stick with it really. If you don't already have an iPhone then don't bother.

BB10, Android and Win Phone 8 have nothing to worry about, there really was nothing innovative there...
    09-13-12 03:06 AM
46 12
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD