Thats just it, none of us knows when it started. When Jobs pitched the iPhone to Verizon and then Cingular, they didn't even have a prototype. It was just ideas and mockups. There are any number of reasons they could have signed the contract effective sometime in 2006 when coming to agreement Cingular would carry it when it was finished.

In between the time the product was pitched and agreement was made all the way up to launch any number of things could happen because there was no prototype or anything to go on, so both sides could have signed the agreement with starting date then to avoid any issues.
    Without a carrier to make the phone for the iphone would have been dead. Getting confirmation on a carrier meant they could go forward so I still think its extremely unlikely for them to start the contract then and there. On a side note though, with the iphone selling like it is and making promises to launch in other countries plus not enough time to put out the white iphone, what makes anyone think they can ramp up production for another countries launch, still provide to the already active countries and create a seperate handset for verizon with a reasonable number. Not only that but apple announces phones at their conference in june, i doubt they are going to start another conference rotation just for a different carrier. These things just don't make any sense.
    06-30-10 05:00 PM
    OMFG I found another site citing the same Bloomberg article!!!!!!!!111!!11

www.itsarumor.com
    06-30-10 06:22 PM
    OMFG I found another site citing the same Bloomberg article!!!!!!!!111!!11

www.itsarumor.com
    Nice. Very nice.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    06-30-10 10:58 PM
    Honestly if this is true they are gonna/should announce it before the holiday season because a lot folks shop for phones around that time and it would be a mistake to miss out on them.
    06-30-10 11:27 PM
    Yup, the contract started before we ever sold the damned thing. You caught us.

I'm pretty sure LBron James is gonna sign with the Bulls, but hes gonna play for the clippers for another 12 months. Makes sense right?
    07-01-10 09:49 AM
    What I think Apple/Verizon would do is announce the iPhone prior to holiday season to keep everyone saving up for it which makes perfect sense. They did mention in the article that neither Verizon nor Apple responded to the rumor so take that for what it's worth.
    People love to believe. Next year we will have the same arguement. So you think apple will be able to produce enough phones for the holiday season for their current carriers and still rollout a new carrier with stock. I walked into a best buy yesterday and the rumors spread to the already clueless rep who told a customer not to buy the phone on at&t because it was just "announced" for verizon. If apple doesn't announce it then it isn't happening. I'm still waiting to see those produced advertisements that the insider said two months ago for the verizon launch. Once everyone realizes that anyone can call a tip line with no sources to get a story printed then we can get off these rumors and wait for the actual announcement.
    07-01-10 09:56 AM
    I would suppose an iphone would be direct competition for the upcoming Driod X and really any other Droid phone thats in the pipe. Also someone posted an article said that Verizon is starting a new ad campaign soon that is touting how they are empowering the user with open devices. I would have to say that probably the iphone is not very open. I don't know as much as id probably like to see the iphone on Verizon I'm not sure it will happen soon, if ever really. Verizon seems to be doing just fine with their Driod phones. If Verizon had the iphone I wold probably consider it, but I don't know if id select it over a newer Driod phone that hopefully coming out.
    07-01-10 11:38 AM
    Until the iPhone is capable of Mass Storage Mode, I would most likely go with a BlackBerry or Android phone. I love being able to drag and drop files to my phone when I'm at home and at work. Work computers don't have iTunes, therefore I couldn't use that feature at work if I had an iPhone.

07-01-10 12:03 PM
    this will b tight if its true....
    07-02-10 01:08 AM
    Yup, the contract started before we ever sold the damned thing. You caught us.

I'm pretty sure LBron James is gonna sign with the Bulls, but hes gonna play for the clippers for another 12 months. Makes sense right?
    Your analogy is horrible and your statement does not apply to every company/industry. Companies sign contracts to work together to release a product at some point in the future, all the time. As for the analogy, Lebron will be signing a contract around July 8th or so, when the NBA allows it. Guess what, he won't start playing under the contract until the NBA season starts in the fall
    07-02-10 08:04 AM
    here's what I know from sources inside VZW.

1 they are launching LTE 11/16
    2 VZW orgunally turned down the iPhone because of all of the control that Apple had to have.
    3 another reason they turned it down was that the contract had verbiage that basically let Apple get out of it at will and take the iPhone users with them.
    4 this last point is the same sticking point now in an arrangement between VZW and Apple.

If you really doubt this is coming just look at how ATT increased the ETF, made data plan more affordable for 98% of their users and then handed a get out of jail card to the 2% of users who are sucking up 40% on the bandwidth with a grandfathered unlimited plan.

They are giving up a lot of the only revenue they get from iPhones since they sure as shine don't make a dime on selling the device.

Ask yourself why they would do that? One clear answer is that they won't be the only game in town for long.

07-09-10 04:05 PM
61 123
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD