I've said it once, I'll say it agian, Expect the Iphone with a different name on Verizon Wireless... soon
    12-29-09 11:56 AM
    Just curious if CDMA is so great then why is Verizon abandoning the standard for LTE which is based on the original GSM standard?.

PG
    They are teaming up with their sister company, Vodafone, which uses GSM. On future VZW devices you will be able to choose GSM or CDMA. As a side note, if Verizon does indeed carry the Iphone, they will dominate over every carrier out there...
    12-29-09 12:03 PM
    Not going to happen in the next few years.. sorry guys. Keep slamming the iPhone Verizon, I see a new contract develop between AT&T and Apple until 2014 when LTE will be mainstream.. in the meantime keep guessing.
    12-29-09 02:20 PM
    Not going to happen in the next few years.. sorry guys. Keep slamming the iPhone Verizon, I see a new contract develop between AT&T and Apple until 2014 when LTE will be mainstream.. in the meantime keep guessing.
    I dont think so. Apple will not be upping the contract with ATT. They will almost assuredly open up to new carrier(s). Even if they dont go with Verizon they will atleast be on T-Mo.
    12-29-09 05:02 PM
    i have a feeling apple won't leave AT&T just yet, not in 2010 anyway.
    12-29-09 06:15 PM
    VZW can say they are ready all they want but if the iPhone were to ever come to them they would be sweating with all the traffic.. And I highly doubt they would be able to support it.

Simply put they would simply turn into AT&T.. aka not being able to handle it.
    12-29-09 08:13 PM
    I don't understand why Verizon laughs at ATT and uses the iphone as an example as poor 3G they provide, but now they are goind to start selling the phone?
    12-30-09 10:25 AM
    VZW can say they are ready all they want but if the iPhone were to ever come to them they would be sweating with all the traffic.. And I highly doubt they would be able to support it.

Simply put they would simply turn into AT&T.. aka not being able to handle it.
    Not really. Verizon would do a much better job at handling the iPhone traffic than ATT. The issue with ATT is backhaul capability. It just isnt/wasnt there. Verizon has already had more backhaul built into its network and has been keeping ahead of its traffic. ATT really sat around and did who knows what with all the money they were bringing in instead of preparing their network like they should have.
    12-30-09 04:38 PM
    hmmm you must know steve jobs huh? that would just be a stupid decision by a company considering verizon has so much better service and more subscribers in the US.
    12-30-09 07:30 PM
    hmmm you must know steve jobs huh? that would just be a stupid decision by a company considering verizon has so much better service
    subjective opinion, not fact

and more subscribers in the US.
    So? Make a phone for ONE carrier, which will be obsolete technology in under 6 months? VZW will have LTE by end of 2010, the iphone comes out in June, what sense would an EVDO-only iphone make?

The whole point of the iphone now is that its ONE phone across carriers- GSM. They dont have to build multiple versions, there are just different bands of GSM/HSPA. This keeps costs low so they can actually afford to sell them for <$200 pricing- buy massive bulk parts and chips in one flavor.

Also, if you think the 3G iphone is bad battery life on HSPA, youre in for a trip putting it on the more power-hungry CDMA. Youre battery will be dead in 3 hours usage.

You, along with others here, seem to think because it benefits your or other VZW subscribers' personal agendas that its all of the sudden truth/fact, or that Apple all of the sudden should and will instantly come to terms with VZW over control of the phone and app store.

Put it this way, Apple wants the cut of the hardware, service, and control over their platform, and if the carrier wont give it to them, bye bye! they have PLENTY of influence in the market now to shun off any carrier who wont play ball and still sell tens of millions of units without them- like they are now even without VZW. JUST like the first time Apple approached VZW for the first iphone. From recent history I dont see VZW bending to Apple anytime soon.
    Last edited by stuaw11; 12-30-09 at 08:21 PM.
    12-30-09 08:15 PM
    So? Make a phone for ONE carrier, which will be obsolete technology in under 6 months? VZW will have LTE by end of 2010, the iphone comes out in June, what sense would an EVDO-only iphone make?
    Wrong and misinformed. CDMA/EVDO will be around for years and years. As of right now LTE is data only. Obviously CDMA is required for voice. Also until every last bit of network is converted to LTE, EVDO is required for data fallback.

The whole point of the iphone now is that its ONE phone across carriers- GSM. They dont have to build multiple versions, there are just different bands of GSM/HSPA. This keeps costs low so they can actually afford to sell them for <$200 pricing- buy massive bulk parts and chips in one flavor.
    The point of the iPhone is to be the best cell phone and capture the most market share. They do have to build a different version if they want to go to T-Mo as there is not a feasible chip that can capture all of the GSM/3G bands across ATT and T-Mo's spectrum. Its either or.

Also, if you think the 3G iphone is bad battery life on HSPA, youre in for a trip putting it on the more power-hungry CDMA. Youre battery will be dead in 3 hours usage.
    Wrong and misinformed again. Compare how long batterys last between the Bold 9700 on ATT with a 1500mah battery with talk time of 6 hours on GSM and the Tour on Verizon with a 1400mah battery and talk time on 1x at 5 hours but which is actually tested at 6 hours.

You, along with others here, seem to think because it benefits your or other VZW subscribers' personal agendas that its all of the sudden truth/fact, or that Apple all of the sudden should and will instantly come to terms with VZW over control of the phone and app store.
    You think that you know what Apple is doing behind closed doors and the details of their business plan. No one here is stating that its will/should come to Verizon as fact. Youre the one getting super defensive and stating all these reasons why its not coming to xxxx carrier like its fact.

Put it this way, Apple wants the cut of the hardware, service, and control over their platform, and if the carrier wont give it to them, bye bye! they have PLENTY of influence in the market now to shun off any carrier who wont play ball and still sell tens of millions of units without them- like they are now even without VZW. JUST like the first time Apple approached VZW for the first iphone. From recent history I dont see VZW bending to Apple anytime soon.
    Really? More proof youre misinformed. Verizon gave Google/Motorola a completely open and free platform with the Droid. They didnt change the market or restrict it in any way. They left the device 100% open and are not controlling anything with it. Also one of Verizon's executives would not release a public statement saying they are open to the iPhone and would welcome it if they were not interested in being open to dealing with Apple.
    12-30-09 09:27 PM
    Sales of the iphone on AT&T will be slowing down mainly because of saturation. Those who jumped ship for a iphone has already jumped. That leaves us Americans who would like a iphone but refuses to go to AT&T.

I honestly see Apple going with a Wimax iphone as it could be sold to 260 carriers worldwide.
    12-30-09 09:33 PM
    Wrong and misinformed. CDMA/EVDO will be around for years and years. As of right now LTE is data only. Obviously CDMA is required for voice. Also until every last bit of network is converted to LTE, EVDO is required for data fallback.
    Try reading next time i said itd make no sense to make an EVDO-ONLY PHONE WITHOUT LTE. Obsolete as in making a phone WITHOUT LTE which would be out weeks after.

The point of the iPhone is to be the best cell phone and capture the most market share. They do have to build a different version if they want to go to T-Mo as there is not a feasible chip that can capture all of the GSM/3G bands across ATT and T-Mo's spectrum. Its either or.
    Again, try reading properly. Who said anything about a Tmo version? I said the iphones out NOW use the same one model, no rewoking. GSM is GSM on the CURRENT iphones.

Wrong and misinformed again. Compare how long batterys last between the Bold 9700 on ATT with a 1500mah battery with talk time of 6 hours on GSM and the Tour on Verizon with a 1400mah battery and talk time on 1x at 5 hours but which is actually tested at 6 hours.
    Sorry but that comparison means nothing because theyre BOTH using the RIM servers and compressed data. It greatly factors out the EVDO vs HSPA differences when they heavy lifting is done on a server and merely transmitted to the device.

Take a look at the a non-RIM phone like the Touch Pro 2/Tilt 2. Same phone same battery, ATT 3G 390 min, VZW 318 min (from HTC themselves), 1 hour 12 min more talktime on the SAME battery and SAME exact phone except the radios.

Fact is people complain about the iphone battery life as is, probably the most out of anything about it. If you lost an hour and few minutes of use, imagine the amount of complaints.

You think that you know what Apple is doing behind closed doors and the details of their business plan. No one here is stating that its will/should come to Verizon as fact. Youre the one getting super defensive and stating all these reasons why its not coming to xxxx carrier like its fact.
    Refuting with a baseless negative means nothing. Its merely a logical fallacy to make someone prove something not to be true because you merely cant prove it to be true. Nor is the whiney "youre not an Apple exec" constant BS that goes around here impressive.

Until someone provides a STITCH of evidence of VZW getting it threads like this are baseless and useless.

Really? More proof youre misinformed. Verizon gave Google/Motorola a completely open and free platform with the Droid. They didnt change the market or restrict it in any way. They left the device 100% open and are not controlling anything with it. Also one of Verizon's executives would not release a public statement saying they are open to the iPhone and would welcome it if they were not interested in being open to dealing with Apple.
    Being open to something DOESNT mean they will even agree to the same terms when it comes to it. Again, making something out of nothing from vague statements. All this "prepare" crap means if IF MAYBE they can come to terms they say theyre ready. It doesnt imply anything more like people seem to want to blow it up in to that anything has moved on it at all.
    Last edited by stuaw11; 12-30-09 at 11:15 PM.
    12-30-09 11:01 PM
    I want sooooo much for the iPhone to open up to Verizon....I really hope it happens as quickly as possible.....
    01-01-10 08:45 AM
    Not really. Verizon would do a much better job at handling the iPhone traffic than ATT. The issue with ATT is backhaul capability. It just isnt/wasnt there. Verizon has already had more backhaul built into its network and has been keeping ahead of its traffic. ATT really sat around and did who knows what with all the money they were bringing in instead of preparing their network like they should have.
    Boy you sure sound like VZW cannot do any wrong.. fanboi much? If and that is a huge BIG if..the iPhone goes to VZW it will probably not crumble as bad as AT&T only because the iPhone is already available on AT&T thus alleviating the burden they would normally have.

Now if it were VZW that had the iPhone exclusively and not AT&T it would be like a little girl cry'n for her momma as bad or worse than AT&T.

Verizon.. get your LTE available to 50% of the country then you will see an iPhone and by all means stop your jealous whiny iPhone commercial attacks. Apple will tear you up in the commercial realm.. you don't want any.

For now just keep making love to your hemorrhoid until the far future.

I say Apple just buy Verizon, AT&T and RIM and put us all out of our misery.
    Last edited by Entertainment72; 01-03-10 at 04:56 PM.
    01-03-10 04:47 PM
    hmmm you must know steve jobs huh? that would just be a stupid decision by a company considering verizon has so much better service and more subscribers in the US.
    Didn't AT&T have Verizon beat before the Alltell and US government switched to them? Even with all that, doesn't AT&T only have like 10 million less customers?
    01-03-10 04:55 PM
    I dont think so. Apple will not be upping the contract with ATT. They will almost assuredly open up to new carrier(s). Even if they dont go with Verizon they will atleast be on T-Mo.
    I agree that if Apple goes to another carrier it's T-Mobile and they have probably already told Verizon (until widespread LTE). That is why Verizon is crying and throwing a temper tantrum in their commercials against the iPhone.
    01-03-10 05:01 PM
    Boy you sure sound like VZW cannot do any wrong.. fanboi much? If and that is a huge BIG if..the iPhone goes to VZW it will probably not crumble as bad as AT&T only because the iPhone is already available on AT&T thus alleviating the burden they would normally have.
    No, nowhere in any of my posts do I say Verizon can do no wrong. There are things Verizon does that **** me off and they can kiss my azz. I never said they were perfect. Im merely stating facts to dispel the misinformation being stated. I have nothing personal against ATT and will probably be getting an iPhone for my business. But I will be quick to tell you that ATT is not up to Verizons network level.

I am willing to bet that when the iPhone does land on Verizon, from that point forward iPhones will sell more on Verizon than ATT on a quarterly basis. And that sir is something I will put money on.
    01-03-10 07:03 PM
    I agree that if Apple goes to another carrier it's T-Mobile and they have probably already told Verizon (until widespread LTE). That is why Verizon is crying and throwing a temper tantrum in their commercials against the iPhone.
    Verizon and Apples relationship is not how you are making it out to be. Is it peachy, no. Will they do business together, yes. Because money and the bottom line is what matters most.
    01-03-10 07:05 PM
44 12
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD