Verizon Wireless Prepares for the iPhone - BusinessWeek

Verizon Wireless has even made upgrades that would make its network more capable of handling extra traffic that would be generated by the iPhone, Verizon Wireless Chief Technology Officer Anthony Melone says in an interview.

"We have put things in place already," Melone tells Bloomberg BusinessWeek. "We are prepared to support that traffic."
    12-22-09 02:21 AM
    Businessweek was merely looking for an article to write.
    Everybody in here knows a world of changes have to be made before this idea comes to fruition.
    I don't see this happening for a long time!! If ever!!
    12-22-09 07:44 AM
    should be moved to the rumor forum.....
    12-22-09 07:47 AM
    should be moved to the rumor forum.....
    Agreed! Moving thread.
    12-22-09 08:00 AM
    eh, why would verizon want the iPhone while they got the droid.
    12-22-09 08:02 AM
    Agreed! Moving thread.
    you da man PK...even if your flyers are last.....
    12-22-09 08:04 AM
    Bring on the iphone verizon! Stop making mac lovers such as myself wait!
    12-22-09 08:38 AM
    The closer and closer we get to spring these rumors are just going to continue. I just hope for my sake (being selfish) that apple never takes the iPhone to that verizon carrier. After what they did to me once I could never go back. Plus I wouldn't want a CDMA iPhone. That would truly blow.
    12-22-09 10:07 AM
    article title misleading.
    12-22-09 10:24 AM
    Rep: Hello. Thank you for visiting our chat service. May I help you with your order today?

Me: will vzw soon have the iphone?

Rep: No we will not.

Me: ever?

Rep: They are under contract until 2012, so you will have to wait and see if they do another one.

Me: darnit.. thanks
    12-22-09 11:36 AM
    people why would you want an iphone when you have the blackberry which has the best time's for outage's when you need you're phone to browse the web, oh cant forget the famous but not forgotten "battery pull" rim rocks the smart phone nation so forget the iphone "because you can't even do a battery pull on it"
    12-22-09 10:30 PM
    the only thing that is coming to verizon from apple right now is the tablet the little netbook thats what they are getn ready for . the iphone isnt the only thing apple makes that might come to a surprise to some people
    12-23-09 05:19 AM
    people why would you want an iphone when you have the blackberry which has the best time's for outage's when you need you're phone to browse the web, oh cant forget the famous but not forgotten "battery pull" rim rocks the smart phone nation so forget the iphone "because you can't even do a battery pull on it"
    You're comparing apples to oranges.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    12-23-09 08:10 AM
    More likely apples to berries.

I feel sorry for apple followers...the only thing worse than the itoy is an itoy that is cdma...

12-23-09 09:54 AM
    maybe I am in the minority, but I prefer cdma call quality over GSM....
    12-23-09 09:59 AM
    HAHAHAHAHAHA you said call quality and GSM!!!!!!! I understand you do like the CDMA quality as it is great... GSM does not have any quality. My mother-in-law has a Iphone and she always misses calls. My father-in-law was trying to get a hold of her last night and he had to call my wife (she was with her) cuz her phone never rang. CDMA FOR LIFE!!!!!

CJordan
    12-23-09 10:15 AM
    pfffft, yes, like the other poster said, just another stupid article BW wanted to write, with yet again another misleading title.

If something was really in the works, I very strongly doubt that ANY iphone will be released on Verizon that is NOT 4G! So in other words, wait for a very major Vzw 4G rollout before iphone on Vzw.
    12-23-09 11:09 AM
    Iphones are junk. They constantly freeze, and there is no insurance on a glass screen phone. Bad idea
    12-23-09 09:25 PM
    So what does this article mean past nothing? Saying they could handle the traffic? Theres no assumptions that can be made from that, nor does anyone believe they couldve handled 7+ million data hungry phones any better.

And no one cares if you think iphones are junk, they freeze MUCH less rarely than BB's and the glass holds up just fine. Theres a reason the iphone has been constantly been #1 in consumer satisfaction. Obviously far from junk.
    12-23-09 10:29 PM
    Agreed! Moving thread.
    You go pk

12-24-09 12:37 AM
    Iphones are junk. They constantly freeze, and there is no insurance on a glass screen phone. Bad idea
    lol.... lol... Really? Really?

No insurance on glass screen... really?
    Um.. What do you mean by that? If you break it?
    There's NO insurance from the manufacture that covers screens that break.... If that's what you're referring to.
    Also, since when does the iphone freeze? Unless you have no idea how to properly take care of your phone... Oh wait. I forgot, BBs don't freeze.. That's why I sill have my job doing Tech Support for BB's when alot of them freeze up to mis-use or not understanding memory.

Haters need to like, get out of the iPhone/Apple sub-forum. Seriously. I don't see people bashing the phone YOU love.
    12-24-09 04:45 AM
    Same here. They each have their advantages, but so far after having both, my call experience on CDMA is much better. Additionally, no one outside of Verizon has a great rural data network. I don't love Verizon at all, but I need quality of service. I was a long time AT&T guy, and it is a fail until they fix the network.
    12-24-09 07:11 AM
    And no one cares if you think iphones are junk, they freeze MUCH less rarely than BB's and the glass holds up just fine. Theres a reason the iphone has been constantly been #1 in consumer satisfaction. Obviously far from junk.
    Battery Pulls not needed.
    12-24-09 12:03 PM
    HAHAHAHAHAHA you said call quality and GSM!!!!!!! I understand you do like the CDMA quality as it is great... GSM does not have any quality. My mother-in-law has a Iphone and she always misses calls. My father-in-law was trying to get a hold of her last night and he had to call my wife (she was with her) cuz her phone never rang. CDMA FOR LIFE!!!!!

CJordan
    Just curious if CDMA is so great then why is Verizon abandoning the standard for LTE which is based on the original GSM standard?

Comparing the standards GSM does have better call quality than CDMA. That's not to say that some carriers (mine included) have screwed it up in some places, but don't mis-interpret poor coverage as an indictment on one network standard or another.

PG
    12-28-09 10:04 PM
    Just curious if CDMA is so great then why is Verizon abandoning the standard for LTE which is based on the original GSM standard?
    Actually.... LTE is an evolution of UMTS which is an evolution of W-CDMA (not related to CDMA). UMTS requires different cell towers than GSM.
    12-29-09 07:32 AM
44 12
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD