I'm on the road a lot touring with bands, and on the last run I was on I realized something, when the iPhone would drop coverage, our tour managers samsung would have 5 bars... the problem is not the coverage i'm starting to believe it's the cellular radio everyone has complained about, maybe that's where the apple/qualcomm rumors we've been hearing step in..... this is the biggest issue... has nothing to do with att....
    04-15-10 07:24 PM
    I'm on the road a lot touring with bands, and on the last run I was on I realized something, when the iPhone would drop coverage, our tour managers samsung would have 5 bars... the problem is not the coverage i'm starting to believe it's the cellular radio everyone has complained about, maybe that's where the apple/qualcomm rumors we've been hearing step in..... this is the biggest issue... has nothing to do with att....
    Don't believe that. It's definitely the coverage.

The thing is, Verizon spent years investing in their 3G coverage while AT&T spent years investing on their phones. Guess that explains why more people have favored AT&T's phone lineup over Verizon's but Verizon has had the better network.
    04-15-10 08:23 PM
    Once the iPhone comes to Verizon, AT&T is done.....
    One device doesn't make or break a carrier. AT&T has the problem of being too closely tied to the wire line business. Because they compete for capital with the regulated entities and, worse, are the product of a series of mergers where the price was too high, AT&T Wireless is starved for capital. Lack of capital dollars is causing the company to be unable to compete with VZW on network coverage and quality. Another poster in this thread said AT&T had invested in phones, carriers usually only test phones, not invest. The carriers job is to provide the phone a network to operate on.

It is quite sad really, many of the companies SBC purchased to make the "new" AT&T were fine companies. SBC overpaid for several of its acquisitions though. Telecom has several areas of declining usage/value, wireline business is one, another is long distance, both as compared to past numbers. Both have declined sharply after SBC's acquisition binge.
    Last edited by Exiled Bulldawg; 04-16-10 at 09:33 AM.
    04-15-10 10:08 PM
    @killswitchX13 - a few questions for you:

How do you know that the contract with Apple/AT&T is ending? How do you know there is even one now?

How are you sure there is a Verizon iPhone coming?

Please enlighten me... this isn't the first time I've heard this rumor. I heard it in 2008, 2009 and now 2010. Heck, I've even heard that Verizon was getting the iPad deal with AT&T or by themselves.
    04-15-10 10:54 PM
    I know this has been said a hundred times before, but it really wouldnt make sense for Apple to release a CDMA iphone on Verizon this year, especially when CDMA is on its way out. Steve Jobs said awhile ago that he thought CDMA was a dead technology and knowing him he wont put out a Verizon iPhone until they are on LTE, which they dont start doing until the end of this year and it wont be completely nationwide until 2012/2013 i believe. But thats just my two cents, i could be wrong it has happened before.

Verizon LTE For anyone who wants to read up on Verizons LTE stuff.
    There was an article earlier this year, I think it was in the WSJ, where VZW outlined the handset road map in place until 2013. The article stated all VZW phones must have 1XRTT and EVDO Rev A. Smart phones must have 1XRTT, EVDO Rev A, WiFI and, sometime in 2011, LTE. Which would make sense, LTE won't be complete until mid 2013 (per the lte.vzw.com site) I think Apple wouldn't pass up a 100+ million user market for 4 years until they could have an LTE only device. It wouldn't make sense.
    04-15-10 10:59 PM
    @killswitchX13 - a few questions for you:

How do you know that the contract with Apple/AT&T is ending? How do you know there is even one now?

How are you sure there is a Verizon iPhone coming?

Please enlighten me... this isn't the first time I've heard this rumor. I heard it in 2008, 2009 and now 2010. Heck, I've even heard that Verizon was getting the iPad deal with AT&T or by themselves.
    LOL Nice Duvi
    04-15-10 10:59 PM
    I was a doubter the iPhone was coming to Verizon at first but now i know it is. (and no im not being sarcastic, and no its not because of this post either).
    04-15-10 11:05 PM
    I was a doubter the iPhone was coming to Verizon at first but now i know it is. (and no im not being sarcastic, and no its not because of this post either).
    And you know this how? I still have seen nothing from either Apple or VZW, and until I do I am not going to buy into yet another iPhone VZW rumor. I really don't care one way or another as I am not going to leave ATT anyway, it just cracks me up all the rumors that people are so sure are true.
    04-16-10 03:07 AM
    I'm not one that's going to try and prove something here because I of all people know it will be an argument that goes nowhere I just know personally it will be on verizon before the year is over, I gaurentee it. And when it does come out you'll remember I said this (probably not, but I will lol).
    04-16-10 03:10 AM
    I'm not one that's going to try and prove something here because I of all people know it will be an argument that goes nowhere I just know personally it will be on verizon before the year is over, I gaurentee it. And when it does come out you'll remember I said this (probably not, but I will lol).
    Finally a worthy post.

Some of us just know, let's say that. Don't have to believe us but the iPhone WILL come to Verizon this year.

@Duvi: AT&T's contract has been stated to end in 2010 many times. Wall Street Journal is all over this and so are other areas of the media. The rumor hasn't been this widespread at all before this year.

And don't worry. The Verizon iPhone won't make AT&T a dead carrier. It just won't have exclusive rights to the iPhone anymore.
    04-16-10 05:23 AM
    And you know this how? I still have seen nothing from either Apple or VZW, and until I do I am not going to buy into yet another iPhone VZW rumor. I really don't care one way or another as I am not going to leave ATT anyway, it just cracks me up all the rumors that people are so sure are true.
    You keep posting that you don't care. If you don't care, why did you open or better yet, even reply to this. Obviously you do care. LOL

Have fun on AT&T. Terminating my contract in May and sticking with just Big Red.
    04-16-10 05:25 AM
    You keep posting that you don't care. If you don't care, why did you open or better yet, even reply to this. Obviously you do care. LOL

Have fun on AT&T. Terminating my contract in May and sticking with just Big Red.
    All I did was ask a question. When a person claims to know something for sure I tend to want to see proof.
    04-16-10 05:40 AM
    All I did was ask a question. When a person claims to know something for sure I tend to want to see proof.
    I know what you mean, but I happen to be no where near the person to show any proof myself, so all I have is an iPhone and two thumbs to put my info out on. I know these threads very well as do you so believe me I already knew your response was coming, it's cool I just thought Id give my input I don't care if people believe me or not, i was right with you last week ripping on the rumor mill people so it's all good.
    Last edited by CrackberryBrandon; 04-16-10 at 08:17 AM.
    04-16-10 08:13 AM
    When the WSJ started running this story, it gave significant credence to the Apple releasing the device(s) to all carriers. This and Apple hiring multiple CDMA developers, and the iPad being a GSM device. I think the test will be if TMobile begins selling the 3GS. If Apple is truly out of contract, they could begin selling the device open for all carriers.

If that doesn't hold true, the next date to watch is the June/July product announcement. If there is no statement at that time, it becomes much less likely Apple is going to sell the device to multiple carriers. Unless they break with their tradition and announce a new device for the holidays. I doubt they will do that.

So, if you are right and the WSJ wrong, we will know soon. The stock market is reacting to the articles as if it believes them. You could go long on AT&T stock.
    04-16-10 09:42 AM
    I'd buy an iPhone on Verizon. Honestly, RIM has done nothing to WOW! me so I'd like to try something new on Verizon.
    04-16-10 10:32 AM
    When the WSJ started running this story, it gave significant credence to the Apple releasing the device(s) to all carriers. This and Apple hiring multiple CDMA developers, and the iPad being a GSM device. I think the test will be if TMobile begins selling the 3GS. If Apple is truly out of contract, they could begin selling the device open for all carriers.

If that doesn't hold true, the next date to watch is the June/July product announcement. If there is no statement at that time, it becomes much less likely Apple is going to sell the device to multiple carriers. Unless they break with their tradition and announce a new device for the holidays. I doubt they will do that.

So, if you are right and the WSJ wrong, we will know soon. The stock market is reacting to the articles as if it believes them. You could go long on AT&T stock.
    That's 1 for the book.
    04-16-10 02:29 PM
    There are other CDMA carriers in the world.
    04-16-10 03:10 PM
    That's 1 for the book.
    I would say your hubris is one for the books. Google search terms: apple, cdma, engineers Results: iPhone heading to EVDO/Verizon for 2009? | 9 to 5 Mac I went to this site when this was first posted 9/2008. The jobs were listed on Apple's corporate recruiting portal and were exactly what the blog purported. The positions specified EVDO experience as a requirement. One doesn't need EVDO experience to develop for GSM. Draw your own conclusion from there. Yes, the links have expired, but the blog related to them has remained.

Here is a google cache of an Indeed search term CDMA Engineer with Apple listed.

So, what was/is Apple doing hiring these engineers? Is it for the iPad? That makes no sense because the device is GSM.
    04-16-10 03:57 PM

Here is the really funny part, I have not said that it is not going to happen. My point is that until Apple or VZW says something for sure I am not going to buy into the hype. Remember that everyone was sure that the iPad was going to end up on VZW and it didn't.
    04-16-10 04:41 PM
    I know what you mean, but I happen to be no where near the person to show any proof myself, so all I have is an iPhone and two thumbs to put my info out on. I know these threads very well as do you so believe me I already knew your response was coming, it's cool I just thought Id give my input I don't care if people believe me or not, i was right with you last week ripping on the rumor mill people so it's all good.
    Great point, I'm not saying your wrong, to me it's not a right or wrong issue. I just want to hear it from Apple or VZW to make it valid. You always seem to have good info so it could very well be going to happen.
    04-16-10 04:44 PM
    Finally a worthy post.

Some of us just know, let's say that. Don't have to believe us but the iPhone WILL come to Verizon this year.

@Duvi: AT&T's contract has been stated to end in 2010 many times. Wall Street Journal is all over this and so are other areas of the media. The rumor hasn't been this widespread at all before this year.

And don't worry. The Verizon iPhone won't make AT&T a dead carrier. It just won't have exclusive rights to the iPhone anymore.
    Lmao... Alright. All I needed to know.

Also... why would you think I am opposed to the iPhone being on multiple carriers or Verizon? Please do not assume as I would like it to be on all and as many carriers as possible.
    04-16-10 05:22 PM
    Here is the really funny part, I have not said that it is not going to happen. My point is that until Apple or VZW says something for sure I am not going to buy into the hype. Remember that everyone was sure that the iPad was going to end up on VZW and it didn't.
    nobody thought the ipad was going to verizon. what part of the media was on that cuz i dont recall?

Lmao... Alright. All I needed to know.

Also... why would you think I am opposed to the iPhone being on multiple carriers or Verizon? Please do not assume as I would like it to be on all and as many carriers as possible.
    not directed at you. it was directed at stuaw, entertainment, and the other fanboys.
    04-17-10 12:01 PM
    nobody thought the ipad was going to verizon. what part of the media was on that cuz i dont recall?
    Here is just one of the many that I found on Google, this was from back in Feb

iPad For Verizon Is Happening, Verizon Source Says
    04-17-10 04:44 PM
    Here is just one of the many that I found on Google, this was from back in Feb

iPad For Verizon Is Happening, Verizon Source Says
    LOL

Business insider is no WSJ. Never even heard of that website and from the looks of it, doesn't seem too reliable.
    04-17-10 05:41 PM
    Final thought on this issue. When and if it comes out on VZW then we will know for sure. Nothing is going to convince me until then. Not even the WSJ which I know has never in history been wrong on anything.
    04-17-10 06:05 PM
78 1234
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD