I know this has been said a hundred times before, but it really wouldnt make sense for Apple to release a CDMA iphone on Verizon this year, especially when CDMA is on its way out. Steve Jobs said awhile ago that he thought CDMA was a dead technology and knowing him he wont put out a Verizon iPhone until they are on LTE, which they dont start doing until the end of this year and it wont be completely nationwide until 2012/2013 i believe. But thats just my two cents, i could be wrong it has happened before.

Verizon LTE For anyone who wants to read up on Verizons LTE stuff.
    04-14-10 04:13 PM
    it really wouldnt make sense for Apple to release a CDMA iphone on Verizon this year, especially when CDMA is on its way out.
    One thing Apple is known for is 2nd Gen hardware upgrades. It could make perfect sense for them to release a CDMA iPhone and once they get a bunch of people to cancel contracts and jump to VZW, then they come out with the LTE iPhone 2G for another round of hardware upgrades.
    04-14-10 04:46 PM
    I know this has been said a hundred times before, but it really wouldnt make sense for Apple to release a CDMA iphone on Verizon this year, especially when CDMA is on its way out. Steve Jobs said awhile ago that he thought CDMA was a dead technology and knowing him he wont put out a Verizon iPhone until they are on LTE, which they dont start doing until the end of this year and it wont be completely nationwide until 2012/2013 i believe. But thats just my two cents, i could be wrong it has happened before.

Verizon LTE For anyone who wants to read up on Verizons LTE stuff.
    CDMA isn't dead at all but it's nearing its end at least here in the U.S. Verizon has way more subscribers than AT&T and their network is much better, even if they run on CDMA. We won't see a nationwide migration to LTE at least for another few years.
    04-14-10 05:56 PM
    Plus there's lots of CDMA in Central and South America. What's their timetable for upgrading?
    04-14-10 06:03 PM
    Plus there's lots of CDMA in Central and South America. What's their timetable for upgrading?
    Also in Asia.

If Verizon and AT&T could combine so we'd get Verizon's 3G coverage and AT&T's GSM abilities for using devices outside of the country, they'd be a dominant carrier. Somehow I don't see that ever happening.
    04-14-10 06:21 PM
    The CDMA across the world dont all use the same 850/1900 that Sprint/VZW uses so its moot if the phone doesnt work there anyways.

Its like Tmo and ATT 3G here, both HSPa but different frequencies so unusable across eachother.

That's the good thing about GSM though, one quadband chip gets you at least coverage in 99% of the GSM countries. Its more of a unified standard than CDMA. Thats the attractiveness of it and to Apple.
    Last edited by stuaw11; 04-14-10 at 06:45 PM.
    04-14-10 06:42 PM
    Could care less about coverage outside the U.S. since I never travel outside the country. Just give me a Verizon iPhone to compliment my Droid and I'm good.
    04-14-10 06:59 PM
    Im sure you could care less but Apple does not want to be making 5 CDMA models to cover the countries. Thats the draw of GSM, cover the most people with one model phone.
    04-14-10 07:09 PM
    Im sure you could care less but Apple does not want to be making 5 CDMA models to cover the countries. Thats the draw of GSM, cover the most people with one model phone.
    We'll never know until WWDC. If the iPhone doesn't come for some reason, there's still Android devices. I actually prefer my Droid to my iPhone but I just want both on the Verizon network. Sounds like I'm asking for too much...
    04-14-10 07:12 PM
    Well you claim in the other thread the iphone IS coming to VZW like you apparently know 100%, so which is it
    04-14-10 07:15 PM
    Well you claim in the other thread the iphone IS coming to VZW like you apparently know 100%, so which is it
    Yup. Positive it's coming and I'm gonna laugh at AT&T and their fangirls when Verizon gets it. At least the iPhone will work on Verizon.
    04-14-10 07:18 PM
    Glad you THINK so, come with some proof then we'll talk.

And we'll laugh at you whiney VZW fanboys like every year when nothing is announced in June
    Last edited by stuaw11; 04-14-10 at 07:25 PM.
    04-14-10 07:22 PM
    Glad you THINK so, come with some proof then we'll talk.

And we'll laugh at you whiney VZW fanboys like every year when nothing is announced in June
    So you admit you are a fangirl? lol jk stuaw.

Seriously though guys/girls. There is no need for this to continue as neither of you have any definitive proof that a VZW iPhone is or isn't coming. Apple is simply too good at keeping their secrets. So please, try to calm down.
    04-14-10 07:27 PM
    And we'll laugh at you VZW fanboys when nothing is announced in June
    Nope. We'll laugh at you AT&T fangirls when we get the newest iPhone and you sit their jealous with your current 3GS contemplating about switching to Verizon.

My iPhone was actually just posted up on eBay. I really like it but it's not as good as my Droid.

Hopefully the battery life on the new iPhone will have a substantial increase. Please Jobs, at least put a 1400 mah battery in your new iPhone!!!
    04-14-10 07:27 PM
    talk talk talk, waste of space rumor BS.
    04-14-10 07:33 PM
    talk talk talk, waste of space rumor BS.
    Guess we'll see who's right later this year..
    04-14-10 07:35 PM
    There is one thing I still don't understand... Doesn't every iPhone commercial demonstrate the iphone's ability to do many things during a call?

Meaning that it is using both voice and data services at the same time?

Doesn't verizon not support this? I don't think apple would ever release the iPhone on the current verizon network until this issue is resolved...

IMHO, i think the iphone would be pretty useless on vzw...
    04-15-10 09:22 AM
    There is one thing I still don't understand... Doesn't every iPhone commercial demonstrate the iphone's ability to do many things during a call?
    Sure, their current ad campaign leverages that point because it is a difference they can exploit. It's kind of an offshoot of ATT's push to highlight that one feature. I'm sure their PR Machine can spin it a different way for CDMA. When you can shorten all the sequences to make your phone look ridiculously speedy AND pretend that there's no problem whatsoever with ATT's network, you can spin ANYTHING...

IMHO, i think the iphone would be pretty useless on vzw...
    I hear a lot of people saying the same thing about them on ATT...
    04-15-10 10:49 AM
    You can use a Sprint/Verizon CDMA phone in a majority of Asia, North Central and South America, New Zeland. There are over 528 CDMA subscribers worldwide, which is more than there are 3G/UMTS (500 Million). 2G GSM in no way compares to CDMA in features/throughput and voice quality/capacity. Majority of the worlds CDMA is 800/1900, with 1700 in South Korea (but there is 1900 too), and a newer 450 frequency popping up for rural services. Oh and 3G/UMTS are W-CDMA. You can get single chip solutions that support CDMA1x/Rev0/A/B, QuadBand GSM, Triband UMTS. If Apple wanted to they could easily make a phone that would support everything and work on almost any carrier. They probably haven't yet because of their exclusive contract with AT&T. When that is up I doubt they will pass on a market of over 528 Million potential customers. AT&T iPhone usage is at a saturation point. Everyone that wanted it got it, and most everyone that was going to switch carriers to get it did.
    04-15-10 12:10 PM
    Sure, their current ad campaign leverages that point because it is a difference they can exploit. It's kind of an offshoot of ATT's push to highlight that one feature. I'm sure their PR Machine can spin it a different way for CDMA. When you can shorten all the sequences to make your phone look ridiculously speedy AND pretend that there's no problem whatsoever with ATT's network, you can spin ANYTHING...

I hear a lot of people saying the same thing about them on ATT...
    I hear what your saying, and I agree that iPhone commercials don't represent the "exact" user experience of the iPhone, what advertisement for any product does? lol

But you ignored my main point...personal grudges with ATT aside(as a customer w/ a 9700 i've got plenty of my own, which I also had when using vzw for some time) being able to take advantage of a voice+data simultaniously is a HUGE benefit. Especially when using an iPhone. (I used a 3G for a while but decided the 9700 was more suited for my needs)

A large number of apps are built around the ability to access them and execute specific tasks while talking on the phone. This advantage is non-existant on vzw's current network offering.

On your average non-iphone, the desire to use data+voice at the same time is usually limited to sending/receiving emails/sms messages (maybe a little web surfing). So not being able to do that isnt THAT big of a deal and I would argue that most users of VZW's network don't even know this "issue" exists, as it does not bother them.

However, once you throw the iPhone into the mix, all these users will want to be able to do all of the things they see in the "cool" commercials, whether realistic or not, VZW will need to explain to them why they cant make reservations or look up movie times while their buddy is on the other line...

Some users may even blame apple for this as they are unaware it is a network limitation...

IMHO, I don't think apple will release the iPhone on VZW's network in its current state; as much as Apple would love to take advantage of VZW's reliability/network coverage (I'm assuming here). The voice+data limitation is too large a setback me thinks.

That being said, an LTE capable iPhone on verizon's network would be something worth talking about. I guess we will just have to wait and see...
    04-15-10 03:15 PM
    IMHO, I don't think apple will release the iPhone on VZW's network in its current state; as much as Apple would love to take advantage of VZW's reliability/network coverage (I'm assuming here). The voice+data limitation is too large a setback me thinks.

That being said, an LTE capable iPhone on verizon's network would be something worth talking about. I guess we will just have to wait and see...
    Agreed, its not like Apple to release a new device that does less then the current/older device can. Even though it would be the first CDMA iphone and there for a totally different version of the iPhone people are still gonna expect it to be better than whats already been out. I dont think it makes sense for them to have an iphone on Verizon for atleast another year, when LTE is actually out in some places.
    04-15-10 03:47 PM
    Simultaneous voice & data is overrated in my opinion. I almost never use it and the few times I have used it, I was on a WIFI network (CDMA can use simultaneous voice and data on WIFI). It's the only thing AT&T has on Verizon.

Apple could easily market the iPhone the same way because simultaneous voice + data can be used on WIFI.

If anything, the iPhone would work a lot better on Verizon's network. The iPhone is now a 3G phone and AT&T barely has any 3G coverage, which means you'll miss out on a lot if you're stuck on EDGE. Verizon's 3G is strong, reliable and covers almost the entire country, while AT&T can barely cover 1/5 of it.

Not trying to knock on AT&T but an iPhone on its current state would still be extremely beneficial to Apple. The majority of users don't use voice and data at the same time. It's usually the very small minority.
    04-15-10 03:55 PM
    Agreed, its not like Apple to release a new device that does less then the current/older device can. Even though it would be the first CDMA iphone and there for a totally different version of the iPhone people are still gonna expect it to be better than whats already been out. I dont think it makes sense for them to have an iphone on Verizon for atleast another year, when LTE is actually out in some places.

Key words - "some places"

Not everyone will have LTE. LTE phones probably won't be in production on Verizon and AT&T till another 2 years at the least.
    04-15-10 03:57 PM
    LTE will only handle data for the first few years after rollout not voice. Your phone calls will still be running through the CDMA network while your browser will run on the LTE network.

Then I believe after LTE is really in place voice will be transferred to it and eventually CDMA network will be shutdown for good. I'm guessing it's the year 2015 before LTE becomes common place.
    04-15-10 05:25 PM
    Simultaneous voice & data is overrated in my opinion. I almost never use it and the few times I have used it, I was on a WIFI network (CDMA can use simultaneous voice and data on WIFI). It's the only thing AT&T has on Verizon.

Apple could easily market the iPhone the same way because simultaneous voice + data can be used on WIFI.

If anything, the iPhone would work a lot better on Verizon's network. The iPhone is now a 3G phone and AT&T barely has any 3G coverage, which means you'll miss out on a lot if you're stuck on EDGE. Verizon's 3G is strong, reliable and covers almost the entire country, while AT&T can barely cover 1/5 of it.

Not trying to knock on AT&T but an iPhone on its current state would still be extremely beneficial to Apple. The majority of users don't use voice and data at the same time. It's usually the very small minority.
    I agree with you on some points, however, the att vs. vzw coverage argument is a bit more complicated then simply saying "vzw pwns att."

For example, here in NYC, I get perfect 3G reception at all times on my 9700. Same goes for all the places I travel to, ie Miami, LA, NJ, PA, as well as some other states along the NE coast. So even though att may not have 3G coverage in many places, it has zero effect on me. I believe this is the case for many people in major US cities, where ATT has no 3G issues.

Additionally, when traveling abroad, I have the luxury of having an unlocked phone which allows me to pop in a local sim and not get r@ped with roaming charges.

I understand your WIFI argument, and agree that it is a "workaround" for the voice+data issue in some instances, but I don't see it as a legitimate solution. Most places where I find myself using voice+data are when i'm on the go. Either on the train, passenger in a car, or walking through the streets of NYC; in which case I am usually talking on my phone while responding to emails or looking up addresses on google maps and WIFI = unavailable.

(I also cant imagine apple putting a disclaimer at the bottom of each vzw iphone commercial saying "oh btw, these cool 'use a data app while on the phone' features can only work while connected to WIFI") -can you imagine the uproar from apple fans/haters?

Apple wouldn't risk the negative publicity.

So for me, ATT was the best solution. They aren't perfect, far from it actually; that said though I don't think ANY of the wireless carriers are all-stars by any means and I've cycled through all of them.
    04-15-10 06:25 PM
78 1234
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD