Ok, so having conversation with the fiance about the bold/curve 8900 coming to Verizon. She had said while in speculation, it's not on their official "move" list yet. She had started speaking of the iphone, and rumors.

I know it's been passed around here a bit, but she was saying intrade for at&t's contract to be "breached" with Apple, they were going to do a "trade off" of the storm.
    This would give AT&T the storm (A better version then what we have) And in turn, we would get an Apple iPhone (Different as well from at&ts)
    There has been a lot of speculation on different iphones, as well as the "slider" iphone with full keyboard. I'm interested as seeing something like this hitting verizon, It would have a big impact.

So, general discussion. Your pro/cons. Like i said i know its been discussed a bit, but i just heard a tad bit more info on it, But like i said she as well disclaimed it as rumor.
    01-05-09 06:09 PM
    We will see but not likely.
    01-05-09 06:15 PM
    I doubt it will come to Verizon, but I would love it if it did. I'd also love if Verizon switched to a SIM based network so we could easily change devices for day/night moods - since we are dreaming :P
    01-05-09 06:17 PM
    I could see it happening, Although on AT&T's side it would be a horrible business move. I think it would hurt them greatly, rather than improve size and worth.
    01-05-09 06:18 PM
    If its true, that would explain the whole Storm exclusivity fiasco. Its possible that as was mentioned, the Storm was originally exclusive to Verizon for life but something happened in the last few months prior to release.
    01-05-09 07:55 PM
    Is there a source for this information or is it all "speculation?"
    01-05-09 08:26 PM
    Most of it is speculation as of right now, but do some research... You may be surprised. The fiance works for VZW corporate and is heard rumors for march.
    01-05-09 08:28 PM
    I've heard that too, around Q2 of '09, iPhone will go to VZW, but I'm happy with my Storm.
    01-05-09 09:48 PM
    it dosent really matter to me i would much rather have the curve 8900
    01-05-09 09:48 PM
    I am a sells rep for verizon and I would not sell the iphone to my customers for many resions. No video taking capiabilty, no interchangeable battery, no interchangable memory, no extended warranty, no instore exchange, better camera on the storm. AND its a apple product BOOOOOO.
    01-05-09 10:03 PM
    Apple is not a bad product. And for being a VZW rep, you seem to be mis-informed.
    If the iphone was released to Verizon, It would not be the same phone you see on at&t's shelves, and regardless the iphone would hit a big consumer base. Jasmine (My fiance') down talks the iphone as well, and shes said it herself; it's because Verizon doesn't have it. It would help Verizon sales immensely i believe if it were to be released.
    01-05-09 10:13 PM
    After using the iPhone on AT&T, let me tell you, it is not all that great. While it is a great piece of technology, it comes with its downfalls also. No phone is perfect.
    01-05-09 10:39 PM
    There are rumors over the web with supposedly the ATT exclusive contract ending this year. On a business perspective for Apple..to compete with blackberry it would make sence to have a variant of an iphone available to all carriers. IMHO if it did come to Verizon the device would be improved.
    Look at the Bold. Rumors are saying the Sprint/verizon specs are a world phone with increased memory and a better camera.

Rumor: An iPhone for Verizon in 2009 - Apple 2.0
    01-05-09 10:55 PM
    This is what i am trying to push. I'm not an iphone fanboy although i did like it a lot. It just wasn't practical for me.
    Apple products coming to Verizon, building our network:-P lol.
    RIM does need some Good competition, and if apple plays their cards right.. well, You be the judge.
    01-05-09 10:59 PM
    Well I wouldn't be surprised to see an Apple phone come to Verizon, but it would be in a much different format. I work for Verizon and we were offered it before ATT but it made no sense to do.

1. We can't service the phone. There are 2 apple Stores in Phoenix(the 6th largest city in the country) available to service your phone, and you have to make an appointment.

2. No removable battery. Are you kidding me? Given the history I have had with numerous IPod batteries why replace the whole device if the battery is bad.

3. No expandable memory. It's stupid to sell 2 of the same phones, one with more memory. It's just another ploy for apple to make money.

4. ATT is losing money because of the contract they signed with ATT. Apple is killin it.
    01-06-09 01:00 AM
    Well I wouldn't be surprised to see an Apple phone come to Verizon, but it would be in a much different format. I work for Verizon and we were offered it before ATT but it made no sense to do.

1. We can't service the phone. There are 2 apple Stores in Phoenix(the 6th largest city in the country) available to service your phone, and you have to make an appointment.

2. No removable battery. Are you kidding me? Given the history I have had with numerous IPod batteries why replace the whole device if the battery is bad.

3. No expandable memory. It's stupid to sell 2 of the same phones, one with more memory. It's just another ploy for apple to make money.

4. ATT is losing money because of the contract they signed with ATT. Apple is killin it.
    1- You can call in or do it online. This phone is the only one (in the U.S.) where the manufacturer extends the warranty an extra year (with AppleCare at a cost)

2- New device or new battery? This reminds me of a car that has to go into the mechanic for the first time, more issues keep arising and more money is being spent on parts where the device could have been exchanged for a working device.

3- Every company has a ploy to make money... this helps them stay in business. Having to different sizes is smart. Most people don't have 8gb of media they need to put on a device and a lot don't even need it for media (as I didn't use my iPhone for it).

4- This is the most popular device AT&T has ever seen. The most new activations and the least of of churn that has ever been seen... this for me is gaining money and lots of it.

01-06-09 02:03 AM
    if verizon went to a sim based network, we would loose alot of service lol. gsm is weak i think. plus look at the crap att is pulling with downgrading their network its on Boy Genius Report
    01-06-09 02:50 AM
    Verizon isn't switching to GSM. I am not sure how it is weak when outside of the US, it is the standard. As long as the online ESN changer works, there really is no need to go to a SIM.
    01-06-09 08:40 AM
    1- You can call in or do it online. This phone is the only one (in the U.S.) where the manufacturer extends the warranty an extra year (with AppleCare at a cost)

2- New device or new battery? This reminds me of a car that has to go into the mechanic for the first time, more issues keep arising and more money is being spent on parts where the device could have been exchanged for a working device.

3- Every company has a ploy to make money... this helps them stay in business. Having to different sizes is smart. Most people don't have 8gb of media they need to put on a device and a lot don't even need it for media (as I didn't use my iPhone for it).

4- This is the most popular device AT&T has ever seen. The most new activations and the least of of churn that has ever been seen... this for me is gaining money and lots of it.

1.Verizon offers extended warrantys for every phone they sell.

2. So every time you need an oil chang you're just going to get a new car? That makes sense.

3. Nope

4. Nope, see Q3 '08(and Q4 when it's announced)results buddy
    01-06-09 09:42 AM
    In retrospect, as a verizon shareholder, they should have tried to work out a deal for the iPhone. The iPhone raised the bar on expections and awareness for smartphones. Us Blackberry users have benefited from that.
    On top of that, not many companies receive the amount of free publicity as Apple. Just today, one of the biggest stories is Steve Jobs health. Affiliating yourself with that type of marketing machine will only help you if you can execute and create value to the customer, which I feel Verizon does.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    01-06-09 09:52 AM
    Wife and I had the iPhone for 2 weeks. She went back to her Curve and I went to the Storm. Neither of us do not want iPhone, at least in it's current state. I won't get into specifics on why, because I don't think this is an iPhone bashing thread. You keep saying it wouldn't be the same iPhone as AT&T's version. How are you, or your fiance' figuring it would be different?
    01-06-09 10:03 AM
    ^ I have to agree with rew001. Wife and I both had them on AT&T, 1st gens. It was ok.

I am also wondering how it won't be the same as AT&T? Oh yeah, that's right, I am sure that Verizon will probably cripple the Wi-Fi.
    01-06-09 10:44 AM
    theSYNDICATE -
    The words you speak sound like a Verizon employee, it's my belief that Verizon down talks the iphone so much because they made the mistake of not taking it. Verizon realizes fault, and now they're trying to make up for it. My fiance works with some pretty big people in VZW corp here, and she just tells what she hears. The iphone made at&t loose money? How? Beside apple controlling most everything, how many ppl do you think dropped verizon/tmobile/sprint JUST for the iphone? The people at apple aren't stupid, they've got a method to their madness; Obviously.

And everybody else, IF it did happen, why wouldn't the phone be different? OS' are different carrier to carrier, And if Apple and AT&T have a "contract" for that phone, who's to say apple isn't going to introduce a different model to carrier B, or C? I think it would only make sense to be a different model. Now again, we're talking speculation, not reality, yet.
    I think if Verizon was to gain some share in apples plans, Verizon would gain back old customers as well as new. I think it would be a good move for Verizon.
    01-06-09 10:56 AM
    From what I heard was the original plan was Apple and Verizon but Apple wouldn't let their techs service the phones so Verizon said no to Apple. So Apple changed and went to AT&T. But that is just what I heard.

As far as GSM, I think it would be nice for Verizon to offer GSM but still have CDMA coverage. Somes for me, GSM works slightly better but a majority of the time CDMA works a lot better. Or have more phones with GSM capabilities, people do travel and having GSM is nice.
    01-06-09 11:04 AM
    4. Nope, see Q3 '08(and Q4 when it's announced)results buddy
    The iphone has not been a screaming financial success for AT&T. They are getting hurt on the equipment costs but picking up more revenue from data services.

att3q08.htm

AT&T INC.
    SEPTEMBER 30, 2008

Under MD&A

Item 2. Management's Discussion and Analysis of Financial Condition and Results of Operation -Continued
    Dollars in millions except per share amounts

Operating expenses Our operating expenses increased $896, or 3.6%, in the third quarter and increased $1,120, or 1.5%, for the first nine months. The increase in the third quarter was primarily due to an increase of $782 [that is $ millions] in equipment costs related to the successful launch of the iPhone 3G and increased sales of PDA devices.
    Under segment results

Wireless operating margins were also pressured by higher costs of equipment, selling, general and administrative expenses due in part to strong sales of advanced handsets including the iPhone 3G.

Average service revenue per user/customer (ARPU) in the third quarter of 2008 remained consistent with the third quarter of 2007. Data services ARPU grew 31.7% in the third quarter of 2008, offset by a decline in voice service ARPU of 7.2%. We expect continued growth from data services as more customers purchase advanced handsets, such as the iPhone 3G, and laptop cards and as our third-generation network continues to expand. The decline in voice service ARPU is the result of a decrease in postpaid voice overage charges, increases in our Family Talk, prepaid and reseller customers, which have lower ARPU than traditional postpaid customers, lower roaming revenues due to acquisitions and rate negotiations as part of roaming cost savings initiatives, slowing international growth and lower regulatory cost recovery charges. We expect continued pressure on voice service ARPU.
    01-06-09 04:37 PM
70 123
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD