Straight from the Wall Street Journal. Happy reading!
    Apple Making Verizon-Ready iPhone by Year End - WSJ.com
    10-06-10 03:46 PM
    My questions:

1) Who are these "people briefed by Apple"?
    2) What exactly does "similar in design" mean? Same features? Lack of features? New things altogether specific for CDMA?
    3) People still use CDMA phones? /sarcasm
    10-06-10 04:07 PM
    LOL, And what makes this different than the last 9 times this rumor was floated?

Spokeswomen for Apple and Qualcomm declined to comment; a spokesman for Verizon Wireless, owned by Verizon Communications Inc. and Vodafone Group PLC, declined to comment.
    When I hear it from these guys, and not the WSJ, then I'll believe it...
    10-06-10 04:12 PM
    And there should be a question mark at the end of the thread title.
    10-06-10 04:22 PM
    OMG!!!
    This should be a sticky!

:end sarcasm:
    10-06-10 05:51 PM
    OMG!!!
    This should be a sticky!

:end sarcasm:
    LOL Thanks for my daily laugh that I get from these forums
    10-06-10 06:59 PM
    All these rumors...........

I would believe AT&T merging with Comcast before any of this.. Would make more sense......
    10-06-10 07:09 PM
    is the new iphone really even worth it?
    10-06-10 07:17 PM
    Because the WSJ said it, it MUST be true right?

The VZW CEO already said stuff like they havent earned it yet, they still do want it, etc. Kind of contradicts what these "secret people" seem to think they know
    10-06-10 07:21 PM
    I believe that it will come with LTE. But I have a feeling that by then, people may not care as much. Verizon has been overrun with Droid fever, that the iPhone may have a hard time stacking up.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    10-06-10 07:58 PM
    This is SO funny! Android rules at Verizon, and the Droid folks SWEAR the iPhone has been "killed" (never to rise again), yet so many want to acquire "The Precious".

I don't get it.
    10-06-10 08:22 PM
    I actually believe it will be on verizon one day. But the rumors that pop up all the time about when are old. I'm sure verizon would love to carry it along with all of their ridiculous bloat-ware and logo on the phone.
    10-06-10 09:16 PM
    UGH!
    I've herd enough of these 'rumors' and people bickering about it.
    If it happens, cool. If it doesn't, we can MOVE ON!
    My Crackberry, I swear~
    10-06-10 09:42 PM
    yay .......
    10-06-10 10:22 PM
    Until it happens I'm at best highly skeptical. This has been a rumor for almost a year now.
    10-07-10 06:31 AM
    Folks, this is true. It's all over news outlets today. The iPhone IS coming to Verizon in early 2011.
    10-07-10 07:03 AM
    No its not. Verizon is already fuxoring with Android, Apple will not tolerate that AT ALL.

Apple won't bend. They, traditionally, never have and probably never will.

It's also A LOT deeper than just on-device control for Apple. Apple doesn't allow discounting of the associated features that go with the iPhone on 90%+ of FAN(corporate) discounts. There is NO price changing in the store or over-the-phone sales. There is absolutly no way to do the little known different make and model switch through warranty to an iPhone. Retention CANNOT offer an iPhone at a reduced rate to save an account, EVER. Stores cannot do ANY warranty work on-site for the device.

These are all thigns that Apple wants control over that Verizon currently controls on all of its Android lineup. Either Verizon will bend to Apple's will or they wont. Simple as that.

Apple walked away from Verizon's demands when they were a nobody in the mobile world. They'll do it now as a premier player.

I copy and pasted this from one of my posts on tipb.com
    10-07-10 10:15 AM
    Let my clarify a little. The main points that I think will sink this is in-store and on-device issues. Apple seems to allow certain things, like no wifi on the chinese iPhone. One thing they won't allow is OS manipulation like what verizon is doing to Android. Also in-store decisions about their phone, something Verizon does with Android. That's really what may break this apart in the end.
    10-07-10 10:40 AM
    No its not. Verizon is already fuxoring with Android, Apple will not tolerate that AT ALL.

Apple won't bend. They, traditionally, never have and probably never will.

It's also A LOT deeper than just on-device control for Apple. Apple doesn't allow discounting of the associated features that go with the iPhone on 90%+ of FAN(corporate) discounts. There is NO price changing in the store or over-the-phone sales. There is absolutly no way to do the little known different make and model switch through warranty to an iPhone. Retention CANNOT offer an iPhone at a reduced rate to save an account, EVER. Stores cannot do ANY warranty work on-site for the device.

These are all thigns that Apple wants control over that Verizon currently controls on all of its Android lineup. Either Verizon will bend to Apple's will or they wont. Simple as that.

Apple walked away from Verizon's demands when they were a nobody in the mobile world. They'll do it now as a premier player.

I copy and pasted this from one of my posts on tipb.com
    Why can't they all just get along?!
    10-07-10 10:51 AM
    That's just it. Apple doesn't "get along" with anyone. It's their way or the highway.
    10-07-10 10:56 AM
    See from a business perspective Apple needs Verizon far more than Verizon needs Apple. Apple lost market share over the past 6 months to Android which is already on Verizon. The only way for Apple to keep doing well is go to Verizon and other carriers. Thats business 101. I could care less either way, in the end the consumer wins
    10-07-10 01:11 PM
    No its not.
    Yes it is.

Apple serves to gain a lot of money when Verizon gets the iPhone. A full half of current AT&T iPhone users said that they're unhappy with their AT&T service and would switch in a heartbeat if another provider were to carry the iPhone.

It's all about $$$ in the end, and Apple is quite cognizant of this fact.
    10-07-10 08:26 PM
    See from a business perspective Apple needs Verizon far more than Verizon needs Apple. Apple lost market share over the past 6 months to Android which is already on Verizon. The only way for Apple to keep doing well is go to Verizon and other carriers. Thats business 101. I could care less either way, in the end the consumer wins
    Please see the graph below. Apple has deviated about 1% over the past TEN months- 29 to 27 to 28 to 29 to 28 t 27 to 28. Thats surely not losing a ton of marketshare 1% behind where they were ten whole months ago.

Now look at RIM, they were at 36/37% and have slid all the way to 31% in ten months.

RIM is giving up WAY more marketshare to Android than Apple by far.
    10-07-10 10:42 PM
    Yes it is.

Apple serves to gain a lot of money when Verizon gets the iPhone. A full half of current AT&T iPhone users said that they're unhappy with their AT&T service and would switch in a heartbeat if another provider were to carry the iPhone.

You're right, it is all about the money. At the moment, Apple probably has about 3% of the worldwide mobile phone market, something like 35-40 million phones sold in a year out of about 1.2 billion. They somehow manage to take 39% of the profits from worldwide mobile phone sales, which is more than Nokia, Samsung, and LG combined. I get the feeling that Apple and Co are quite happy with their current business strategy. Take a look at the pie chart.

Source: Apple Drastically Increases Mobile Phone Profit Share | Asia Bizz
    Last edited by Roo Zilla; 10-07-10 at 11:35 PM.
    10-07-10 11:25 PM
    Yes it is.

Nah, it's a tad less than a quarter, like 23% according to recent surveys. Even if/when it does happen, they won't all swap either, since it's assumed most of them will be under contract. Most people who want an iPhone already have one. It's not like iPhone on Verizon will double US iPhone sales. They'll sell more, but not a lot a lot more.

If Apple were to make another version of the iPhone, they may as well make a TD-SCDMA version. Then they can sell it a potential 500+ million customers on China Mobile.
    10-07-10 11:32 PM
45 12
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD