Not that this will make me sell my Iphone but I think the Iphone really does have a death grip. Consumer Reports first came out with the findings and so did some other group. Anyways, I did what they said to do to see if it was real. Here is what you do.

Take your cover or bumper off. Wrap your whole hand around that phone like if someone were taking it from you. Wait 15 seconds and watch the signal go down. Better yet, hold it like I said and then try to load a page and watch it struggle. Take your hand off, it will load.

In summary, the Iphone still rocks.
    03-10-11 12:39 AM
    I tried it but it don't have any affect on my phone at all. Signal didn't budge from five bars.
    03-10-11 05:47 AM
    Does that effect the Wifi connection as well or is it just 3G?

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    03-10-11 08:35 AM
    If you live in an area where Verizon is extremely strong, you won't see much signal loss. I have been able to drop a bar...but nothing like my AT&T iPhone 4.

I haven't seen it affect my WiFi connection...but I almost always have a case on my phone, so what do I care?
    03-10-11 09:03 AM
    Although i have seen the bars go down on my GSM iphone, it has never been a serious issue. I also find it funny how most people never talk on the phone while using the dealth grip...i don't think i can get the earpiece close to my face.
    03-10-11 09:44 AM
    Crazy post, take any bb or android phone and wrap you hands around the whole device and see if the signal drops..lol.
    03-10-11 11:05 AM
    Well I had a GSM iPhone 4 and when I got my Verizon iPhone 4 and put the case on it, it only gave me 1 bar in my house(I live on the 4th floor) & my gf always had 3 bars. I was gonna take my phone back until I took the case off and voila...3 bars now I get excellent service in places where I didn't with AT&T.

03-10-11 07:03 PM
    Not that this will make me sell my Iphone but I think the Iphone really does have a death grip. Consumer Reports first came out with the findings and so did some other group. Anyways, I did what they said to do to see if it was real. Here is what you do.

Take your cover or bumper off. Wrap your whole hand around that phone like if someone were taking it from you. Wait 15 seconds and watch the signal go down. Better yet, hold it like I said and then try to load a page and watch it struggle. Take your hand off, it will load.

In summary, the Iphone still rocks.
    I get what your saying but do you hold your phone this way? Not really so it doesnt matter.
    03-10-11 07:50 PM
    I get what your saying but do you hold your phone this way? Not really so it doesnt matter.
    No, I don't hold my phone that way. My reason for posting this was to inform Iphone users that Verizon really didn't do anything a whole lot different then AT&T when it comes to the antenna. Well, lets be clear about this.....the Verizon Iphone antenna only effects my browsing, never do I drop a call. With AT&T, you would lose the call.

Like I said, it's no biggy for me. I use an Ifrogz cover that looks great and my Iphone and I are happy campers.
    03-10-11 11:32 PM
    ^^^^ Pretty sure we were all aware of this when CNET got all bent out of shape about it when the Verizon iPhone came out and everyone ran the antenna story about it too. I don't think anyone gives a hoot really.
    03-11-11 12:09 AM
    I have no problem with signal loss with mine either. I held it every way possible and I always had a good signal no less than 3 bars.
    03-11-11 03:54 AM
    The antennae is much improved with Verizon and iPhone 4 in general. The old "grip of death" problems were largely due to the aluminum backing on the original GSM iPhone. The antennae is now integrated into the metal edge that circumferences the phone. I can imaginge if you covered up the whole edge somehow you might lose a bar, mine has not, but I think you can expect it to happen, it is a cellular attennae not an industrial long range comms device.
    03-11-11 01:32 PM
    I did the death grip on my BB Bold and the antenna signal went from five bars to none. This sort of thing isn't exclusive to iPhone. And my new Verizon iPhone don't even budge on the death grip further proving the point there's no antenna conspiracy theories.
    03-18-11 10:28 AM
    Oh well.,... ip5 is around the corner. I think I read somewhere that the ip5 will have the antenna in the apple logo in the back of the phone.
    That being said-- I have a super thin case on my ip4. It's hardly noticeable and it neutralizes the grip issue. I like my BBs better as a whole but the iPhone4 rocks and it's a work of art and I don't care about death grips. :-)

03-18-11 06:07 PM
    So what about this BGR going back to AT&T after continuing to drop calls on Verizon, comments?
    03-18-11 06:48 PM
    It doesn't happen to mine unless i hold it extremely tightly. I have not had one dropped call or had any signal drop while holding it normally. I can however make the Att iPhone drop to searching with just one finger.
    03-19-11 12:42 PM
    My Omnia 2 completely loses signal with the death grip, nearly instantly. Never hold the phone like that so its not an issue
    03-20-11 11:05 PM
    According to Anandtech, Apple found a solution while keeping the same antenna design. It's not perfect, but now acceptable:

Verizon iPhone 4: Thoroughly Reviewed - AnandTech :: Your Source for Hardware Analysis and News
    03-21-11 12:48 AM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD