03-03-11 04:58 AM
60 123
tools
    It's still funny how Verizon peeps think AT&T is so bad with dropped calls, I work at a wireless place (non-carrier dependent) and if anything I get more complaints from Verizon users than AT&T. All wireless providers drop calls here and there.
    02-25-11 10:10 PM
    Are we talking about the same phone that had the best launch in Verizon history? I must be confused, and it's over 7-8 months old lol.
    02-25-11 10:13 PM
    I think those people that are stuck in Android contracts now because they thought the iPhone wasn't coming and that an Android device was the next best thing are probably kicking themselves a bit now.
    I seriously doubt that. I have owned every iPhone since it's initial release in 2007 and I can truly say the iPhone 4 will be my last iPhone. If iPhone 5 brings new and greatly needed features to the platform I'll agree with your statement. People on Android contracts aren't missing out on anything that iPhone offers today and they are smart enough to realize it. I have four years of waiting, complaining and wanting for iOS to move at a more aggressive pace but the folks at Cupertino move at a snails pace and spoon feed updates and improvements.

Your new to the platform, in time you'll see the BS that Apple imposes on it's users.

For what it's worth, iPhone is till a great device regardless.
    02-25-11 10:42 PM
    I seriously doubt that. I have owned every iPhone since it's initial release in 2007 and I can truly say the iPhone 4 will be my last iPhone. If iPhone 5 brings new and greatly needed features to the platform I'll agree with your statement. People on Android contracts aren't missing out on anything that iPhone offers today and they are smart enough to realize it. I have four years of waiting, complaining and wanting for iOS to move at a more aggressive pace but the folks at Cupertino move at a snails pace and spoon feed updates and improvements.

Your new to the platform, in time you'll see the BS that Apple imposes on it's users.

i couldn't have said it better.
    02-25-11 11:42 PM

Jrscivic might be new...but, she knows what she's talking about.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    02-26-11 12:13 AM

Apple's argument is that they take their time to perfect a feature before releasing it. I don't own an iPhone but I could see some evidence of that. What do you think?

The well known examples are pretty straightforward. Copy & paste is very nice and complete compare to other platforms. Multitasking is limited but Apple does have the best battery life for that class of phone, and it is nearly lag free.

Being tied to iTunes is also a common complaint, but Apple is able to push updates to all its customers at once in contrast with the irregular, or at best staggered OTA updates from carriers on other platforms.

There are various limitations that seems specific to iPhones, for example the 20mb download limit specific to podcasts. But it's more a carrier issue and Apple is playing along.

Of course there's the whole jailbreaking thing but I'm not clear what it's good for. In my view rooting your own personal device is nothing like real root privileges on a shared machine.

So I'd like to know, for an iPhone user itching to leave, what are the attractions in Android.

02-26-11 02:13 AM

I don't know what's dumber, waiting four years on something or complaining about it. Thank goodness you made the switch, I for one don't care for either HTC's or Motorola Ford Quality is Job 1 build quality, I'll take my Audi's fit and finish thanks. To each his own, no right or wrong, we have choices.

Sidenote: It makes me laugh to no end of the ignorance many customers have about "4G".

(Verizon, Sprint, AT&T, T-Mobile)
    Me: So what do you like about your phone?
    Customer: "It's 4G"
    Me: Do you have "4G" service, does it say "4G" by the signal bar?
    Customer: No but that's what they told me and it's FAST, I get like 2Mbps down!
    Me: Sorry, there is no 4G here
    Customer: "Well it's stamped on the box and phone"
    Me: lol, ok. (I chuckle inside knowing I get 5Mbps on "3G" and 5Mbps is no where near "4G", it's also "4G" when my iPhone 4 "3G" uploads destroys yours.)
    Customer: "There is "4G" here, I pay extra for it" (Sucker!)
    Me: (btw we are running a special on the Otterbox Defender for the Inspire, Atrix, Thunderbolt for $99.99)
    Last edited by Entertainment72; 02-26-11 at 08:29 AM.
    02-26-11 08:10 AM
    ^ blame on it advertising. these carriers should be held accountable for using the term 4G loosely.. without the technical details to back their claim.
    02-26-11 08:58 AM
    So I'd like to know, for an iPhone user itching to leave, what are the attractions in Android.

Owning both iOS and Android, the attraction is customization. You can do more out of the box with Android devices, and some Android devices come with hardware features that no other devices running other platforms have to offer (but that is changing now). There are many useful things Android has to offer, like widgets. The notification system is also 100x better on Android.

But then, iOS is insanely smooth. Updating is flawless, and the device is so easy to use a 2 year old can figure it out in no time.
    02-26-11 12:24 PM
    Expect WebOS type notifications on iOS5, among other improvements. You may see more customization but Apple is very slow implementing this. Their number one priority is OS Stability and hardware.
    02-26-11 03:03 PM

lol, I'm anything but new to the platform. I have other iTouch devices that I've used for personal use and some are Jailbroken. Any feature that I'm personally missing on the iPhone in stock form is available if Jailbroken. I've been using the iPhone platform since it came out and have seen it progress from useless phone to useful phone throughout the years. Since iOS2.0's introduction, the device has been an option in one shape or form for some business clients, as long as certain procedures were followed. So ya, this isn't my first dance.
    02-26-11 06:05 PM
    I know this is way off topic but I have held back for a while now...

JRSCCivic98 you are damn Hot !!!!

There I finally said it !!

A hot technical chick... thats HOT
    02-26-11 08:26 PM
    I know this is way off topic but I have held back for a while now...

JRSCCivic98 you are damn Hot !!!!

There I finally said it !!

A hot technical chick... thats HOT
    yeah! try to meet her in person and you'll be in the "Next Episode of Dateline To catch a Predator"
    her real name is Chris Hansen.
    Entertainment72 likes this.
    02-26-11 08:32 PM
    im enjoying my iphone4 better than my previous android devices, i got another upgrade in july but ill prob leave it for the iphone 6 or something lolz
    02-26-11 08:36 PM
    lol, I'm anything but new to the platform. I have other iTouch devices that I've used for personal use and some are Jailbroken. Any feature that I'm personally missing on the iPhone in stock form is available if Jailbroken. I've been using the iPhone platform since it came out and have seen it progress from useless phone to useful phone throughout the years. Since iOS2.0's introduction, the device has been an option in one shape or form for some business clients, as long as certain procedures were followed. So ya, this isn't my first dance.
    Yup. Personally, it became absolutely useful to me at iOS 3.0 I loved the way Apple implemented copy/paste. When I tried it out I became convinced that they could do things with this phone and weren't going to just push sh*t out just because the masses kept b*tching about it. I owned the first and second gen and took them right back. It was when the 3GS came out that I became a full-fledged iPhone user and opened to a broader view when it came to smartphones.
    02-26-11 08:38 PM
    yeah! try to meet her in person and you'll be in the "Next Episode of Dateline To catch a Predator"
    her real name is Chris Hansen.
    I wouldn't like my actual name released on here...that's a little personal..something she should release..

02-26-11 08:39 PM
    I'm not too concerned with the sales of the vzw iP4, I'm pretty happy with my purchase. But I'm sure that still being in contract and the upcoming iP5 in June/July may have had an effect on sales (although a lot of people I know have no clue when the next iPhone will be released)...Anyway, I was lucky to have an upgrade available at the time the iPhone was released and even though I knew that there will be a new one coming in the summer, I just didn't want to wait any longer and took the plunge. I also think that the iP6, not the iP5, will be LTE capable which will allow me to upgrade to that in 2012. So, I think I made the right decision with going with the iP4 now and then have the ability to upgrade to the LTE version next year.
    Made the exact same choice as you did w/same reasoning. With this weeks news re: release of LTE iPhone in 2012 it seems like we made the right choice. I'm really pleased with the phone.

02-26-11 10:13 PM
    Synth, I never quite understood the whole problem concept people have when they say "tied to iTunes".

Sure, the file management can be a pain because iTunes is the only way you'll get write access to the onboard memory on iDevices, but I'd like to point out that before BBs with internal media memory or memory cards came out which allowed for mass storage mode to access those two memory pools you were limited to using Desktop Manager to read/write info to the internal memory on a BB. Also, you're still limited to using DM to sync PIM data to a BB if you don't have BES or another sync protocol app installed, just like you're limited to iTunes for the PIM data there. OS updates must be done via DM also, so how is that any different? We all know the OTA BB updates are isht and can sometimes fail; I'd never trust them personally. What else? App installs are through DM, AppWorld, and 3rd party jad installs from the browser. OK, that's one additional channel to get apps on your BB as opposed to an iDevice. What else? Not much really.

If you think about it, if Apple would give you read/write to the camera roll directory and the music/ringtones section without iTunes, the main concerns would pretty much go away. Idiots would continue to use iTunes to sync their stuff and smart people would mass storage mode it.

Also, remember that the iPhone already has camera roll mass storage read access without iTunes, so we're like 25% there already.

Anyway, let me know if I'm overlooking or missing something. I too didn't want to use iTunes, but I view it no different than DM w/Media Manager on it, so I shrug my shoulders wondering what this super big deal is.
    02-27-11 12:00 AM
    iTunes and fixed internal flash memory are also key to making content rights holders and developers comfortable dealing with Apple, which in turn benefits users.

When the iPhone came out without a SD card slot people were mad, but years later Apple ends up with content heavy games and multimedia apps. There is no question of where should the app go, it's always to the same internal storage, gigabytes of it. Developers and publishers in turn can count on it, so they make stuff for the iPhone instead of figuring out the SD card mess. In the end I don't know who cares that much about swappable SD cards. The majority of users never swap theirs, I know I don't once I got a sizable one in there. Just to please a few photographers?

So an SD card and USB drive mode are two of those things Apple withholds from users, but in retrospect it was clearly the right strategy.

Now, for me, the lack of buttons is something I think Apple has taken too far, they should give some programmable convenience keys. But still I'd like to know what other deficiencies might cause someone to switch to Android.

02-27-11 02:48 AM
    I wouldn't like my actual name released on here...that's a little personal..something she should release..

Chris Hansen was the host of Dateline's "To Catch a Predator." That is not Civic's name, unless it was complete coincidence.
    02-27-11 08:25 AM
    Expect WebOS type notifications on iOS5, among other improvements. You may see more customization but Apple is very slow implementing this. Their number one priority is OS Stability and hardware.
    Yup. I love my customization, but my number one complaint has always been the absolutely ****ty notification system. Once that is fixed, I may possibly never leave iOS. I will probably always own an Android device or possibly a QNX device on the side though.
    02-27-11 10:47 AM
    As far as the being tied to iTunes complaints: I for one am perfectly content with
    iTunes being the place to do all my syncing. It's a one-stop shop. If I change devices,
    I don't need to go to Mobihand and change my device's PIN so I can get new authorization
    numbers for apps. Then have to setup my whole damn app all over again. Just because
    DM backed up and restored data, it doesn't mean that it basically took a snapshot of
    my phone like iTunes almost does. It was a living pain switching devices on my BB's
    throughout the years.
    Entertainment72 likes this.
    02-27-11 12:31 PM
    Chris Hansen was the host of Dateline's "To Catch a Predator." That is not Civic's name, unless it was complete coincidence.
    I noticed in my reply I forgot to add my lol's...I was just being a sarcastic ***...lol

02-27-11 04:31 PM
    Okay, this is how happy I am with the Iphone. I am so happy that my viewing of this site or anyother cellphone site has almost ceased. I am not joking, the Iphone does all I ask it to do so I just don't have this nervous anticipation for anything else. I have loved every droid I have used. I see whats on the horizon for Verizon, especially the Bionic and Thunderbolt. They don't do anything for me. The TBolt in all honesty looks like a Verizon version of the Evo and to me, thats way to big. I won't comment on anything else because it's a wasted breath. For me, the Iphone just works.

I keep hearing about dual core, LTE, open source, etc, etc. Well my friends, the Iphone is plenty fast for my lifestyle, has enough apps to keep me busy.

Peace
    02-27-11 11:03 PM
    1 MILLION iPhones sold on launch weekend for Verizon.... yea it's a dud.. lol, AND only 14% of those were from AT&T peeps.. ouch Android and RIM...
    Last edited by Entertainment72; 03-01-11 at 07:15 PM.
    03-01-11 07:12 PM
60 123
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD