View Poll Results: Would you switch?

Voters
532. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes

254 47.74%
  • No

278 52.26%
    I would keep my BB. I'm a am avid hater of the iPhone.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    11-15-09 01:45 PM
    I think it's like comparing apples to oranges...both have pros/cons...I know at least 2 people who were iPhone users who love their BB's now.

Me, I don't know what I'd do. Look and see.
    11-15-09 01:56 PM
    I think it's like comparing apples to oranges...both have pros/cons...I know at least 2 people who were iPhone users who love their BB's now.

Me, I don't know what I'd do. Look and see.
    Don't you mean comparing "It's like apples to black berries." <snicker>

I wouldn't switch. For me the phone is primary for productivity, phone calls, and getting work done. I've noticed those that prefer the iPhone tend to like web surfing and playing games. There is merit in both views, but for me it's about being productive and being able to work when I'm not at my desk.
    Last edited by _X_; 11-15-09 at 02:48 PM. Reason: Added more comments
    11-15-09 02:43 PM
    This has always fascinated me "The whole Java is evil" and RIM should just move away from JAVA and start over...

Question to "CrackBerry Storm meh"

Does the Android on Verizon interest you?

Does it look like a nice device that you would want?

What do you think? Fast? Look at that Fast WebKit browser... Ooohhh looks good!

If you answered yes to liking the Droid congratulations you just said you liked a Java Phone.

All Android apps are primarily written in... Yep you heard it here first folks.... JAVA...

Now can we please stop this "Java is slow and crappy" nonsense and leave this debate to Software Engineers and professionals.

Thanks you.
    11-15-09 08:56 PM
    This has always fascinated me "The whole Java is evil" and RIM should just move away from JAVA and start over...

Question to "CrackBerry Storm meh"

Does the Android on Verizon interest you?

Does it look like a nice device that you would want?

What do you think? Fast? Look at that Fast WebKit browser... Ooohhh looks good!

If you answered yes to liking the Droid congratulations you just said you liked a Java Phone.

All Android apps are primarily written in... Yep you heard it here first folks.... JAVA...

Now can we please stop this "Java is slow and crappy" nonsense and leave this debate to Software Engineers and professionals.

Thanks you.
    Andoid APPS

The OS runs a Linux kernel...

Running Java apps, and being a Java OS are different things
    11-15-09 09:22 PM
    It depends. I thought the original Storm was trash. I am very satisfied with Storm 2, although it lacks the hot and fun apps that could make me switch to the Iphone.
    11-15-09 09:32 PM
    Uhhhh Who said BlackBerry was a Java OS? Their Kernel is most certainly written in ASM and C, C++ like most OS's... They are going to support WebKit in their new browser. For that they need a C++ base otherwise it could not be a WebKit browser because they would have to entirely re-write the whole thing in Java.

I think people need to allow those who know talk about this and other not make stuff up.

I never said that RIM OS was better than Android. My point is if you think BlackBerry has a problem Java has nothing to do with it.

I suspect people are thinking about the old Java Applet days in the browser for these negative feelings. This has been abated because of JavaScript even though they only have syntax in common.

Anyways, RIM's Kernel most certainly is not written in Java.
    11-15-09 09:34 PM
    1) RUMOR is in the title of the article

2) apple will have to let go of their iron grip ways

3) multi-tasking

even with those, i'd still be hard pressed to use the iphone. and right now android offers all of the "features" that people want the iphone for, and it's available right now. so why wait for the iphone when you can get android today?
    11-15-09 09:35 PM
    For me, I need to see a Flash-supported browser, and frame support. Even then, what will Verizon do or whomever is rendering the web pages on my phone? Will videos download outside of YouTube and at what speed?

If I have a Flash-supported browser, with frame support, and can play video off of webpages, then yeah-I would switch. If Rim gets its browser act together, then fine.

I don't know if anyone can print off of IPhone...I can't on my Storm. I think this is a major reason why the new Storm is good-for wifi alone. What about printing something off the IPhone? If you can print a document that comes in email because your home network recognizes your phone as a device, is there any way to print something off of the phone?

Last thing: let's talk apps for a moment. LogMeIn has a wonderful Iphone app that allows you to connect and operate your home pc...run programs, transfer files...now that's useful! Will Iphone apps such as this one even run on an Iphone if Verizon gets hold of it? Inquiring minds want to know. I don't know where the functionality of the Iphone comes from...if it is from the servers that render the pages...then I don't know whose servers they are...Apple's or ATT's? The point is for me...what can Verizon do and what will Verizon cripple? Verizon is famous for choking certain features...and while on a roll, what about tethering? There are so many questions that need answers...
    11-15-09 09:47 PM
    Would it steer people away if you knew that the screen was smaller?? I was reading on a site that the screen was going to be about a half an inch or so smaller. I dont know if that would steer people away. It would be a deal breaker for me
    11-15-09 09:56 PM
    No isuck phone for me. Sorry I just hate Apple.
    11-15-09 10:17 PM
    As time progresses, it seems that the arguments against the iPhone seem like the same arguments made by PC users about Macbooks.
    I consider myself to be a part of the less biased crowd - I study all computer models, looking for the best type, and Apple draws me in. My friend's Macbook Air (with lower specs than my laptops, no solid state hard drive) was able to outperform both of my laptops, whether it ran Snow Leopard or Windows 7 (my laptops both run Windows 7, with one laptop containing Windows XP, and yes, my laptops have DDR3 memory and a 5400 rpm hard drive) and the battery of the Macbook Air was amazing. However, it seems that the same crowd that "trolls" the Macbook Pro family also hate iPhones. (I am relating this argument as a parallel to the argument between blackberries and iPhones)
    Yes - The whole warranty stuff with the iPhone is BS, as well as the lack of certain applications that Blackberries offer, but I am in need of a phone with a good processor as well as a good platform (with a lot of RAM of course :P) Although I love the performance upgrades with my 9530, the sight of this non-fluid Java operating system is unnerving.

If the Storm 3 (Yes, 3. If the iPhone is out on Verizon, I can almost guarantee that it will include LTE. Therefore, RIM will most likely release a new Storm with LTE, and it is very likely that they will release a new Storm generation that will publicize their improvements using OpenGL) is planned to get off the Java platform, I will switch (Of course, the device must be prepared for a new platform. I do not want to deal with the same **** I deal with the Storm - Honestly, we paid for the hardware to have OpenGL in our phone, and it seems that we will never receive it?) Just my $0.02
    11-28-09 07:29 PM
    I loved my Storm. I really love my Storm2. I like my Tour. If Verizon gets the iPhone, I will keep my Storm2 and dump my Tour for the iPhone. That way, having one Berry and one iPhone will be the best of both worlds!

The Iphone on Verizon... AT&T may as well board the windows and padlock the doors. Out of business they go!!!!!!
    Last edited by mrsFAB; 11-28-09 at 08:32 PM.
    11-28-09 08:25 PM
    I've always like my berries from my first pearl to now my storm 2. So my preference is to stay with what I know. It is a good phone on a lousy network but not for me...

11-28-09 08:44 PM
    I will change phones.. the only reason I got the BB Storm was due to the carrier. I love Verizon. at first hated the Storm and swore daily I was going to return it till the new OS came out.. Now I am ok with the storm but I have used the iphone and it just seems faster as far as the network goes.. but if it's a Verizon issue and not a phone issue it will still be slow. I do like that the Iphone has so many more apps... the BB only has a few free ones that I have liked. I have yet to pay for any BB storm apps and have not seen any that I would want to pay for.
    I use Verizon on my laptop and the network has always been fast the phones suck I think. Do a speed test on phone its fast but actually use its browser man that's slow.

11-30-09 05:49 PM
    Why would I want something that is sleek and cool looking, has very smooth transitions and most of all a very fast web browser?

Once Apple adds Active Sync support for Exchange... RIM is going to be in trouble. They taught that a click screen was innovative????

Of course by 2011 the Storm 3 will probably be out, and maybe... just maybe RIM will finally figured out that to stay on top, they need to have the Top Devices.
    11-30-09 06:22 PM
    I'm on Storm 1. I'll jump ship but probably not to an iPhone.

Maybe the Droid or the next great Android phone that comes out. Maybe a Win Mobile 7.0 phone.

Blackberry OS was not for end users. They just brainstormed a whole bunch of functionality and threw it all together without any thought to the end user. And they didn't even do a good job of making the functionality function right. They don't deserve my business.

Other phones have bugs but at least there was significant consideration given to the end user experience.

Obviously, this is all IMO, humble opinion that is.
    Last edited by khanusma; 11-30-09 at 06:29 PM.
    11-30-09 06:27 PM
    Why would I want something that is sleek and cool looking, ....

The iPhone really doesn't look as cool and sleek as it did when it first came out. Its starting to look a little old. Kind of like (but not to that extent) the first iPods do.
    11-30-09 06:29 PM
    I loved my iphone when I had one for about a month, (ATT service was garbage here) switched back to verizon, and got a blackberry. I Hoped and prayed every night that the iPhone would come to verizon, but after after a few blackberrys, and some time has passed, it really comes down to this:

What really makes the iPhone so great?
    Pretty icons?
    the sliding menu system?
    The more I use my iPod touch, I realize how boring the iPhone is.
    I don't want to have to hack my phone to change it. I can't get rid of half those icons so I can actually a nice background. With a simple click, I can change the whole feel of my storm by changing the theme. Even make my own!
    I can't add memory because I didn't feel like shelling out top dollar for the 32gb model.
    I can't download apps OTA from any other site but itunes.

Touch screen technology is getting better everyday, and VZW is finally getting some decent phones, why would anyone really want the iPhone?
    11-30-09 10:05 PM
    Apple and their Jesusphone can die in a fire.
    11-30-09 10:24 PM
    If RIM doesn't improve the Storm then I just might move to the Iphone, but it'll definitely be a sad experience. I like having my extra removable battery.
    11-30-09 10:41 PM
    Why? Simply for the Apps and interoperability with all of your other media (music, etc). Its not a toy thing, for the haters. The apps that I would use at work are all over the iphone with solid quality and ease of use. The ones avail for BB suck ***. I'm not talking about rare apps here. I'm talking about medical use.

Plus the thing that helps when it comes to apps is memory. The memory on these things is deplorable. I've done all the tricks. Wiping, BBSAK, etc. The bottom line it sucks. To use it for anything other than email/calendar/phone kills it. It does things awesomely. I just need more. Several of my coworkers have Storms and several have iphones. These issues are universal with the Storms, not isolated.

I like the Storm. I like the Surepress. I like the SureType. I love the email/text/BBMessenger capabilities. But that other stuff absolutely kills it for me. I've had this phone since day 1. Have even been through 3 replacements (3 for me and 3 for my wife-- all due to screen issues). I liked this phone. I have wanted to get this thing to work. It still far outshine my old Moto Q. There are definitely things about the Storm I prefer over the iPhone, but if it comes to VZW, I'm gone. But no hard feelings on my part.

11-30-09 10:47 PM
    Why? Simply for the Apps and interoperability with all of your other media (music, etc). Its not a toy thing, for the haters. The apps that I would use at work are all over the iphone with solid quality and ease of use. The ones avail for BB suck ***. I'm not talking about rare apps here. I'm talking about medical use.

Plus the thing that helps when it comes to apps is memory. The memory on these things is deplorable. I've done all the tricks. Wiping, BBSAK, etc. The bottom line it sucks. To use it for anything other than email/calendar/phone kills it. It does things awesomely. I just need more. Several of my coworkers have Storms and several have iphones. These issues are universal with the Storms, not isolated.

I like the Storm. I like the Surepress. I like the SureType. I love the email/text/BBMessenger capabilities. But that other stuff absolutely kills it for me. I've had this phone since day 1. Have even been through 3 replacements (3 for me and 3 for my wife-- all due to screen issues). I liked this phone. I have wanted to get this thing to work. It still far outshine my old Moto Q. There are definitely things about the Storm I prefer over the iPhone, but if it comes to VZW, I'm gone. But no hard feelings on my part.

Agreed, and if Apple matches RIM in messaging clients, as well as in email... Apple has RIM beat as far as I am concerned. Either the Java Platform must be abandoned... or RIM will lose most of its customers. Java used to be acceptable, but we are pushing on to a new generation - Java is like Windows XP - Good while it lasted, but innovation provides an incentive for customers to desire the latest and greatest.
    11-30-09 10:54 PM
    If RIM doesn't improve the Storm then I just might move to the Iphone, but it'll definitely be a sad experience. I like having my extra removable battery.
    I will also be upset switching to the iPhone - Used to be a customer who preferred Blackberries... but their service is no longer worth my money... especially seeing the Storm being released prematurely.
    11-30-09 10:57 PM
    I love my iTouch. I'd switch to an iPhone in a heartbeat if their coverage in my area didn't suck so bad.
    12-01-09 09:50 AM
198 12345 ...
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD