Verizon can't swap calls, do more than a three person conference call. Fail

While you might think the Verizon iPhone’s biggest problems are its inferior data speeds, no talking while using data, or minimal international usability, we have discovered an even bigger issue, and its a true killer for consumers and business users alike. That’s the lack of being able to have a conference call with more than three people (including yourself), being able to switch between phone calls or to be able to hang up on just one person in a conference call. 9to5mac reader Eric F. worked with us on the above video that demonstrates the flaw in Verizon’s iPhone 4.

As business users in particular can imagine, not being able to have a conference call with more than two other people can be detrimental for an important deal you are trying to make over the phone, and can even be an issue for families who are trying to connect over their iPhones together. Another issue is the Verizon iPhone’s inability of handling call swapping. This means you cannot take one of your conference callers on private, like on the AT&T iPhone, and when you touch end call both calls will automatically hang up. Thanks, Eric F. and Julie!
    02-13-11 07:58 PM
    I'd like to know how many people actually hold a conference call on a cellular network with more than 3 people? I know I never have... Besides that... AT&T could possibly drop your call anyway.
    02-13-11 08:12 PM
    You also can't swap between calls along with hang up on one particular call, all Fails in the business world. If you think 3 people is a lot you obviously are not a business person. CDMA gets older and older by the minute.
    02-13-11 08:22 PM
    So, what's the problem exactly? This is how Verizon has always been. It's called 3-way calling for a reason. Also, the limitation for not being able to "flash" or swap between calls is because the noob in the video initiates the conference call. When you do that, your phone is the controlling bridge for the 3-way conference call. Had you been on a call and a second call comes in, you can flash/swap over to the other call without issue.

Seems to me the guy in the video is just unfermiliar with how call handling works on Verizon. Everyone else that was already on Verizon and just swapped to the iPhone is basically facepalming when watching this video because there's nothing new here.

Suggestion to the video maker.... do your research on what normal call handling features are for a carrier before you make suggestions that you think this is a problem or a possible bug in the iPhone's phone app. To the OP, stop drinking the coolaid blindfolded.
    02-13-11 09:33 PM
    Entertainment72 I challenge you to a steel cage match at Wrestlemania!

If you win all CDMA networks in the US will be shutdown for good! If I win you have to make me blueberry waffles!
    Last edited by Mr. Marco; 02-14-11 at 12:29 AM.
    02-14-11 12:23 AM
    I'd like to know how many people actually hold a conference call on a cellular network with more than 3 people? I know I never have... Besides that... AT&T could possibly drop your call anyway.
    You also can't swap between calls along with hang up on one particular call, all Fails in the business world. If you think 3 people is a lot you obviously are not a business person. CDMA gets older and older by the minute.

Ummmm, Entertainment72, I do lots of conference calls. But I, like many people, use my company's conference call system. Everyone dials into the conference. THAT is the way of conference calling in the business world these days, IMHO.
    02-14-11 08:03 AM
    Ummmm, Entertainment72, I do lots of conference calls. But I, like many people, use my company's conference call system. Everyone dials into the conference. THAT is the way of conference calling in the business world these days, IMHO.
    It's nice to stay in the office all day..
    02-14-11 08:35 PM
    If you hold your conference call on a cellular device, you're a ner-ner anyways.
    02-14-11 08:39 PM
    Oh I know what you mean. But with my toll-free 800 number, I can conf call from anywhere. I inititate the call with my PIN then provide the tollfree number and the meeting number to my participants. So I don't have to be in the office for that......
    02-15-11 08:55 AM
    I see you've never heard of a Conference Bridge. You don't need to be in the office to do conference calls. Also, with the various Corporate Phone System Communicator software apps available for the iPhone, your mobile can even behave like your office extention and give you the same capabilities.
    02-15-11 09:12 AM
    Call waiting swap call? I have switched between calls multiple times.

I also haven't dropped one call yet since owning the iPhone 4 on VZW. If this was AT&T in my area, I would have dropped 4 calls a day. That is the only reason I left AT&T. Everything else was great besides holding a call with my iPhone. BBs worked great.
    02-15-11 09:21 AM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD