I believe I read somewhere stating the new iPhone will utilize a micro-sim card. Correct me if I'm wrong. Assuming I'm correct, does this mean the value of the 3Gs will increase since it will be the newest model that can easily be unlocked and used on other carriers?? This could end up being great for 3Gs owners looking to sell their device on eBay to purchase the 4th gen.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    04-24-10 06:35 AM
    I believe I read somewhere stating the new iPhone will utilize a micro-sim card. Correct me if I'm wrong. Assuming I'm correct, does this mean the value of the 3Gs will increase since it will be the newest model that can easily be unlocked and used on other carriers?? This could end up being great for 3Gs owners looking to sell their device on eBay to purchase the 4th gen.

That may be a comforting rationalization, but you're only kidding yourself. The best case scenario is the value won't change at all, although it will most certainly drop at least somewhat right away. If you want to sell your 3GS on eBay the time is now.
    04-24-10 09:12 AM
    I almost think he is right. No one else uses the micro sim.

So it's just speculation but I think if you have an unlockable 3gs, it'll be worth more or the same for that fact.
    04-24-10 11:22 AM
    I switch back and forth between my 3GS and 9700 all the time so the micro sim does not make happy so yes it could be great for existing 3GS's out there
    04-24-10 11:42 AM
    When 3.1.3 came out, the prices for unlocked 3G's and 3GS's on 3.1.2 skyrocketed on CL here in Denver. I can see the same thing happening with the 4G.

Person buys a 4G to use unlocked.
    Cant be unlocked.
    Wants to trade for a unlocked 3GS or sell 4G.
    Asking price for unlocked 3G/S goes up because sellers know people will pay it.

The general population never read or research anything before they buy.
    04-24-10 11:52 AM
    There are MicroSim to SIM adapters on the market now. microsim-shop.com

Apparently MicroSIMs are backwards compatible with older phones.
    04-24-10 01:45 PM
    There are MicroSim to SIM adapters on the market now. microsim-shop.com

Apparently MicroSIMs are backwards compatible with older phones.
    That, along with the fact that a massive jailbreak exploit has been waiting in the wings since before 3.1.3 - I'm sure people will have no problem unlocking the next gen iphone within a matter of days/weeks.
    04-24-10 02:06 PM
    Even so, I still dont think the value will drop that much that fast.

There is still a demand for the 3GS, as not everyone needs the latest and greatest, especially if youre jailbroken and unlocked. Also, Id guess the majority of regular non-geek consumers dont know a thing about micro SIMs or that there is an adaptor for them and will want to stay with a regular SIM phone like a 3GS to switch phones during the week. Not really our fault they dont know though.

The jailbreak/unlock usually isnt ready the first week or so of the release even if it works on beta its only the 3G and mac right now (no one knows what the new hardware will bring in terms of memory structure etc so the jailbreak may have to be tweaked), so if you buy a 4th gen and then sell yours within a week from launch you should still be fine. We might know whats coming in the "geek" crowd but the general public doesnt know what jailbreaks, unlocks, etc are coming until theyre out.
    Last edited by stuaw11; 04-24-10 at 02:33 PM.
    04-24-10 02:30 PM

In theory it may, but the 3GS is not easy to unlock as a small number never made the jump to 3.1.3
    04-25-10 11:36 AM
    I switch back and forth between my 3GS and 9700 all the time so the micro sim does not make happy so yes it could be great for existing 3GS's out there
    I heard there'll be an adapter sleeve. Kinda like the mini SD card in a berry fits into a sleeve and THEN into ur PC. ... There's supposed to be a sleeve the size of a regular sim card that you'll be able to insert the mini sim into

04-26-10 05:08 AM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD