I've had a problem with my 32GB 3GS for a little over a week. When plugged into a car or home charger, if a call comes in, all you hear are rapid beeps/chirps (the noise you hear when you plug your iPhone into its charger). You are unable to answer the phone or see who was calling you. No record will be on the phone, such as "missed call."

Upon calling AppleCare (the phone is about 3 months old and I have the extended warranty through AppleCare), the support agent (and later the agent's supervisor) told me my replacement phone would have a new screen, a new battery and a new case, but the insides (guts) will have been previously used, though checked out. Further conversation from the supervisor revealed that Apple routinely disassembled returned iPhones and incorporates the previously used parts to assemble the "new" iPhones. I was shocked and a bit amazed. My background is automotive manufacturing and I know for a fact that is illegal... Illegal to sell something advertised as new that is in fact NOT new.

Has anyone else heard of this? How does it make you feel that the new iPhone you bought wasn't really "new?"

I received a customer satisfaction survey a few minutes ago and gladly shared my feelings with Apple.
    10-01-09 02:12 PM
    I've had a problem with my 32GB 3GS for a little over a week. When plugged into a car or home charger, if a call comes in, all you hear are rapid beeps/chirps (the noise you hear when you plug your iPhone into its charger). You are unable to answer the phone or see who was calling you. No record will be on the phone, such as "missed call."

Upon calling AppleCare (the phone is about 3 months old and I have the extended warranty through AppleCare), the support agent (and later the agent's supervisor) told me my replacement phone would have a new screen, a new battery and a new case, but the insides (guts) will have been previously used, though checked out. Further conversation from the supervisor revealed that Apple routinely disassembled returned iPhones and incorporates the previously used parts to assemble the "new" iPhones. I was shocked and a bit amazed. My background is automotive manufacturing and I know for a fact that is illegal... Illegal to sell something advertised as new that is in fact NOT new.

Has anyone else heard of this? How does it make you feel that the new iPhone you bought wasn't really "new?"

I received a customer satisfaction survey a few minutes ago and gladly shared my feelings with Apple.
    My guess is it's not illegal because they are not selling you another phone, and advertising it as new. They are simply replacing your defective phone with a refurbished one, and are not selling you anything new. When they sold you your first phone, that, I assume, was all brand new- inside and out.
    10-01-09 02:46 PM
    Um this is how ALL manufacturers do refurb/replacement phones. And sorry but your replacement is a refurb not brand new. Itd be financially impossible to replace every warrantied phone with a brand new off the assembly line unit.

Nothing new to the industry for years and years. In fact some people say the refurbs they get were built better than the original. Its far from anything to be worried about, so you falsely criticized Apple in a survey for your misinformation and doing theyre job to help you....
    10-01-09 02:49 PM
    I well understand the difference between a refurb/replacement phone and no, I'm not hung up on "new." I questioned to supervisor throughly. On the other hand, I just spoke with AppleCare a few minutes ago and was told that only used parts were used in the replacement phones... Not new. Kind of conflicts with what I was told yesterday. He went on to say that if I would scroll to the General tab in settings where the Serial Number is listed, any iPhone 3GS with the serial number begining with "8" would be an absolutely NEW phone for certain. That's the information I needed to avoid getting someone else's problems in a new wrapper. It was worth my call anyway.
    10-01-09 02:57 PM
    He went on to say that if I would scroll to the General tab in settings where the Serial Number is listed, any iPhone 3GS with the serial number begining with "8" would be an absolutely NEW phone for certain. That's the information I needed to avoid getting someone else's problems in a new wrapper. It was worth my call anyway.
    I had to get my iPhone replaced a few months ago because of the issue with the white version getting hairline cracks. My serial starts with 8. Did you talk to any other Apple reps and confirm that any serial starting with 8 means brand new?
    10-01-09 03:10 PM
    I had to get my iPhone replaced a few months ago because of the issue with the white version getting hairline cracks. My serial starts with 8. Did you talk to any other Apple reps and confirm that any serial starting with 8 means brand new?
    Yes, I made one other call again and was told the same thing. Take a look at this link:

Replacement 3GS's at the Genius bar technically new? - Mac Forums
    10-02-09 12:35 PM
    Yes, I made one other call again and was told the same thing. Take a look at this link:

Replacement 3GS's at the Genius bar technically new? - Mac Forums
    No doubt I have a new phone then. I asked them if it was new and they said yes too. I guess I should have believed them right away, even though I have seen refurbs that are in excellent condition and work better than new phones.
    10-02-09 01:17 PM
    First off, it is new.... New to you. So it's not illegal. Automotive industry is a lot different.... once one thing goes wrong, it becomes a chain reaction on new issues arising. Also, no one sold it to you, they replaced it for you.

Second, working at AT&T, I've noticed with iPhone, refurbs usually are more problem-free than new ones. They actually fix what is wrong and then give you the phone... what's wrong with that?
    10-03-09 02:26 PM
    Until a few days ago, I was **** bent on getting a NEW 3GS replacement. Period. After researching the differences and comments for those getting a replacement from Apple (especially compared to getting a replacement from AT&T), I pretty well changed my mind. I compared a new 3GS 32GB to an Apple remanufactured unit and I was blown away by the fit & form of the Apple remanufactured phone! The switches functioned better, were more crisp feeling, but what really got me was the screen! It looked like a better screen with much better resolution... I was blown away!! Yes, what I got had a serial number beginning with a 5 and not a 8, but that's just fine with me now, as I have the 1 year extended AppleCare warranty in case I need it.

I had a conversation with the "Genius" about the differences between an Apple and an AT&T replacement phone. The Apple has been thoroughly tested and remanufactured as necessary, receives a new screen, new battery and new case, then is put through more tests. AT&T will just erase the contents (there are exceptions where an old owners information is still on the phone and serial numbers aren't always changed - big problem potential here), clean the phone up and sell it as a rebuild phone. NO THANKS!!! I'll take Apple's any day.

I know I'm getting a bit wordy here, but I've got to say my experience at the Genius Bar was absolutely excellent!!! They upgraded my phone to version 3.1 and even downloaded the MMS update for me!! They couldn't have been nicer!! Great Experience!!!
    10-04-09 12:36 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD