Cool article about the US Army to possibly use the Apple iPhone to help on the Battlefield. Not shocking knowing the iPhone's capabilites.

U.S. Army Gets Pumped to Use Apple Gear, Apps | Gadget Lab | Wired.com
    03-27-10 07:09 PM
    Well... they've been working with Apple. I remember way back when they came out with Exchange support, the Army was one of the businesses that was in the keynote video that jobs showed on stage.
    03-27-10 07:31 PM
    Well... they've been working with Apple. I remember way back when they came out with Exchange support, the Army was one of the businesses that was in the keynote video that jobs showed on stage.

Yea true the Army is a huge fan of Apple products, there also definetly going to use the iPad. I'm 100% sure of it. That screen will be a glory for unmanned aircraft operators.
    03-27-10 08:46 PM
    This actually seems like a good idea. I mean the Apple products that the Army will use will have some adjustments - to ensure security, but hey, we could benefit from their developments (like a creation of a more secure network for iphone-to-iphone contact, or so on).

Nonetheless, Apple does offer some solid products, or at least ideas, that can be adapted to strongly aid the military.
    03-27-10 10:32 PM
    Maybe with the Army's interest, Apple will put in a heavy duty battery. I just can't see battlefield tactics being implemented and used with the current battery life. This could be a big boost for consumers!!! Newer devices would be more powerful, allow multitasking, more expansive and complex apps, etc.
    03-28-10 12:54 AM
    Cool article about the US Army to possibly use the Apple iPhone to help on the Battlefield. Not shocking knowing the iPhone's capabilites.
    Not shocking knowing the Army's procurement process.

First the M16 and now this...from Mattel to Apple...why are we not surprised
    03-28-10 03:17 AM
    This actually seems like a good idea. I mean the Apple products that the Army will use will have some adjustments - to ensure security, but hey, we could benefit from their developments (like a creation of a more secure network for iphone-to-iphone contact, or so on).

Nonetheless, Apple does offer some solid products, or at least ideas, that can be adapted to strongly aid the military.
    I agree with it being a good idea, but 1st point you already mentioned above is the security, and even if they did revamp a "military use" phone with better security, I can guarantee it would probably be stripped of most multimedia functions, why you ask, to big a distraction.

Just my 2 cents from someone who's served in the Army.
    Last edited by JoelTruckerDude; 03-28-10 at 07:35 AM.
    03-28-10 07:33 AM
    The other concern is the "fragile" state of the current Iphone, if this were to happen, it would definitely need a complete body overhaul to withstand field and war environments.
    03-28-10 07:44 AM
    Thats pretty cool. Thanks for posting this Brandon. Big fan of military technology. I am addicted to shows on the Discovery Channel like "future weapons"etc.

But I still think the iPhone is toy.
    03-28-10 08:10 AM
    The other concern is the "fragile" state of the current Iphone, if this were to happen, it would definitely need a complete body overhaul to withstand field and war environments.
    I'm pretty sure most of your concerns have already been taking into consideration by Apple and the Army.
    03-28-10 08:54 AM
    The phone's fragile nature can be addressed with a hard rubber case. Hope they have car chargers in their jeeps though lololol.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    03-28-10 10:31 AM
    I'm pretty sure most of your concerns have already been taking into consideration by Apple and the Army.
    Hmmmmm, last time I checked this site/forum was open to public discussion and debate, which is exactly what I was posting, my OPINION.

One would have to be STUPID to think they haven't thought of this, YOU ALWAYS seem to think you have privileged knowledge that the rest of us don't have, considering the way you usually respond to posts.
    03-28-10 10:42 AM
    The phone's fragile nature can be addressed with a hard rubber case. Hope they have car chargers in their jeeps though lololol.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    I can guarantee you that a "hard rubber case" won't protect squat in a wartime environment, I was referring to them actually designing a more durable body to the phone itself, which if they end up using the iphone, I'm sure one Apple will **** something out their a$$, they always do.
    03-28-10 10:45 AM
    Thats pretty cool. Thanks for posting this Brandon. Big fan of military technology. I am addicted to shows on the Discovery Channel like "future weapons"etc.

But I still think the iPhone is toy.
    What about MythBusters?!?!? Love that!!!!

The Army has some history with interesting partnerships...you just reminded of Mattel and the M-16.
    03-29-10 11:33 AM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD