I will be getting the iPhone 4 this month. But before I do that, I want to make a note of what I will be losing from getting rid of the BlackBerry Bold 9000.

Losing:
    BBM
    Free tethering
    Physical Keyboard
    Distinct alerts for different messages, emails or IMs
    Facebook Linking with contacts
    Visual Voicemail?

edit: keyboard shortcuts....ugh i use these a lot

Anything else??

Can current iphone users list what they lost? I'm really nervous about losing the functions that my BlackBerry had, but I hope the reward is greater with the iPhone.
    Last edited by kevintech; 09-15-10 at 03:42 AM.
    09-15-10 02:19 AM
    Battery life too if you are a heavy user so get use to charging the iPhone 4 a lot :P
    09-15-10 04:27 AM
    calendar sync??? that is possible with the iphone right
    09-15-10 04:51 AM
    Calendar Sync should work. You can subscribe to MobileMe. AT&T has FREE Visual Voice Mail when it works (most times calls are logged as MISSED, instead of going to VVM).

BB alerting is superior. Battery Life of iP4 is not bad according to how you use it. Push eMail will eat the battery so I use Fetch every 30 minutes.

IMHO, I think the risk has greater reward. I don't use my BB Tour 9630 anymore, and frankly don't miss it. There are no battery pulls, no memory issues, etc. that is standard for BB.
    09-15-10 05:30 AM
    Calendar sync will work fine with Exchange, Mobileme, or Outlook. I use Exchange and it works fine. Facebook linking of contacts, there are apps available for that. Battery life is fine. It will be similar to what you get with something like the 9800, probably better. I have 4 email accounts set to push and I easily get through a day, while making over an hour of phone calls, some browsing, and other things. I can probably get 2 days if I remember to do things like turn off Wifi and Bluetooth when I'm not using it.

BTW, if you're coming from the 9000, you will start using the phone for a lot more things than just email. You'll listen to more music, watch more videos, browse the internet, use apps, play games other than Brickbreaker, read books, etc., etc.
    Last edited by Roo Zilla; 09-15-10 at 10:17 AM.
    09-15-10 09:45 AM
    Thanks for the post guys.

The calendar I use is google calendar which works very well with the BlackBerry Calendar. I just hope iPhone's Calendar works well with google calendar.

I also have the gmail app which allows me to archive, star, and delete emails on my phone. The app does the same for my online inbox. Can the iPhone do that as well? I just dont' like how you need a 3rd party app for all that. All the apps on my BlackBerry are through google.
    09-15-10 01:12 PM
    Thanks for the post guys.

The calendar I use is google calendar which works very well with the BlackBerry Calendar. I just hope iPhone's Calendar works well with google calendar.

I also have the gmail app which allows me to archive, star, and delete emails on my phone. The app does the same for my online inbox. Can the iPhone do that as well? I just dont' like how you need a 3rd party app for all that. All the apps on my BlackBerry are through google.
    You can set up Gmail as Exchange, so you'll be fine. Labels in Gmail show up as folders in Exchange. You can use the iPhone email app to do most things and it will sync with your mailbox. For example, to "star" an email, you just move it to the "Star" folder. If you frequently need access to your sent items, you can also sync that folder in settings, or whatever other folder you want pushed, not just the Inbox. For archiving email, I create a label called "Archive" and move stuff into that folder from my iPhone.

There are also multiple Gmail apps available. If you have a dislike for those, you can also use the Gmail webapp to access the mobile site directly. You can create a shortcut on your springboard to make it easier to access. As an aside, the webapp for youtube is actually better than the one that comes with iPhone, I created a shortcut to that on my springboard and don't use the original app anymore.

Finally, Exchange will allow you to sync contacts and calendars with your iPhone too. iPhone calendar lets you sync with multiple calendars and also works with invites if that's important to you. Contacts sync was a little weird for me, so I don't use it, not to mention I have tons of non-standard labels on my iPhone address book.
    09-15-10 01:56 PM
    thanks roozilla!

how about tethering? there is no way around the $20/month tethering right?
    09-15-10 02:11 PM
    thanks roozilla!

how about tethering? there is no way around the $20/month tethering right?
    Only if you jailbreak. Then you just get an app called "MyWi" which is a one
    time $10 fee.
    09-15-10 02:22 PM
    great undertaker...

and i udnerstand apple always comes out with updates...are jailbreak updates pretty consistent too??
    09-15-10 03:34 PM
    Latest news about jailbreak and unlocking is always available at this link:

Dev-Team Blog

Run by the guys who actually do it. The last jailbreak was more or less done by @comex and the unlock was done by @planetbeing.
    09-15-10 03:56 PM
    Battery life too if you are a heavy user so get use to charging the iPhone 4 a lot :P
    Not true. I had three 9000's and the i4 battery life is about 30% better on a full charge of both.
    09-15-10 07:14 PM
    Even with moderate usage during the day I am still at 75% by 5pm. I usually only use my car charger when I use my phone for gps. Android phones are the battery hogs. iPhone battery has improved tremendously.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    09-15-10 07:45 PM
    Here is what you wont miss:

Battery pulls
    Long boot up times
    A small screen
    Poor internet browsing

Here is what you will miss:

Notifications that use the LED such as BerryBuzz or anything like that
    Keyboard shortcuts
    Speed dials

After a few days you are gonna wonder why you waited to make the switch. Everything that BB has to offer is great, but everything that the iPhone offers is worth making the switch. Definitely jailbreak if you can. Battery life on the iPhone4 is not bad at all. You will surely use the device more, so you may need to adjust your charging schedule.
    09-15-10 08:17 PM
    Actually, my iPhone 4 has WAY battery life than my 9000. Now, with my 9700, the battery life was pretty close to my iPhone.

Whatever I thought I would "miss" after leaving RIM has been long forgotten. I am by NO means a BB basher...I love them, but I love my iPhone 4 more. I'm so glad I made the move.

Congrats on the switch!
    09-15-10 09:09 PM
    I am readt to go iphone also..long time b berry user who is bored stiff with it. I will only miss bbm but text will suffice. I hate being bothered all day w alerts so i turn them off most of the time. Email is important to me on the go so i will get used to typing i am sure. Love the screen of iphone and all the apps i hope!!! ATT is fine where i live and i am so sick of the red sos on tmobile when i walk in a building i could puke
    09-15-10 09:51 PM
    For those of you upgraded, is it $199 + tax of retail price? And do you guys suggest I go to an AT&T dealer or go to the macstore to upgrade?
    09-16-10 12:20 AM
    For those of you upgraded, is it $199 + tax of retail price? And do you guys suggest I go to an AT&T dealer or go to the Apple store to upgrade?
    09-16-10 12:22 AM
    For those of you upgraded, is it $199 + tax of retail price? And do you guys suggest I go to an AT&T dealer or go to the Apple store to upgrade?
    I paid $299 for the 32GB, $199 is for the 16GB. You should get it from the Apple Store. I've found them to be more helpful if problems happen. If it's out of the way though, go to the AT&T store.
    09-16-10 10:34 AM
    Actually, my iPhone 4 has WAY battery life than my 9000. Now, with my 9700, the battery life was pretty close to my iPhone.

Whatever I thought I would "miss" after leaving RIM has been long forgotten. I am by NO means a BB basher...I love them, but I love my iPhone 4 more. I'm so glad I made the move.

Congrats on the switch!
    I agree with this. Very glad to make the move. Thought about a Torch, but my wife was dead set on the iPhone4, and had I picked up that Torch, I would have phone envy for sure.
    09-16-10 11:19 AM
    I also went from 9000 to iPhone 4. And the only thing I miss is the LED light and the bb/right click button. Everything else is much better on the iPhone. I have used nothing but BB's for 5 years, and thought I would miss the keyboard of the BB, but nope im just as fast on the iphone.
    09-16-10 11:42 AM
    Yea someone said in an earlier post get ready to be charging your iPhone a lot. I don't know if this person ever had personal experience with an iPhone 4 but the battery is actually very good. You won't need to be charging it a lot. Maybe that was a joke but it's not true.
    09-16-10 03:14 PM
    I have to agree with Brandon. The battery on ip4 is fantastic considering what this phone could do...and the display...just amazing. I wouldn't say better then my 9700 but pretty close... i also seem to be using it more then my 9700...but definitely better then 9000 and 8900 i used.

Great phone im sure you will enjoy it. People still have the mind set from the 3g iphone that was missing a lot and couldn't last more then 5 hours. But it's not the case anymore.... Apple made some serious improvements on this one... enough to get me off the crack

QUOTE=CrackberryBrandon;5586219]Yea someone said in an earlier post get ready to be charging your iPhone a lot. I don't know if this person ever had personal experience with an iPhone 4 but the battery is actually very good. You won't need to be charging it a lot. Maybe that was a joke but it's not true.[/QUOTE]
    09-16-10 03:20 PM
    I have to agree with Brandon. The battery on ip4 is fantastic considering what this phone could do...and the display...just amazing. I wouldn't say better then my 9700 but pretty close... i also seem to be using it more then my 9700...but definitely better then 9000 and 8900 i used.

Great phone im sure you will enjoy it. People still have the mind set from the 3g iphone that was missing a lot and couldn't last more then 5 hours. But it's not the case anymore.... Apple made some serious improvements on this one... enough to get me off the crack

QUOTE=CrackberryBrandon;5586219]Yea someone said in an earlier post get ready to be charging your iPhone a lot. I don't know if this person ever had personal experience with an iPhone 4 but the battery is actually very good. You won't need to be charging it a lot. Maybe that was a joke but it's not true.
    [/QUOTE]

There isn't a BB out there with a screen that even comes close to the iPhone4, even the 9700.
    09-16-10 04:37 PM
    Has anyone tried the MyWi tethering? Does it work well with AT&T?
    09-16-10 06:54 PM
52 123
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD