So my wifes upgrade date is 06/27/10 and we all heard from Steve Jobs that upgrade dates will be moved up 6 months. So just to make sure we dont have issue pre-ordering, I called At&t and they said our date would not be moved up. So I went into Apple and asked them. They said unless the upgrade date is 06/24, there would be a $200 surcharge on upgrading. Last, I went into a At&t corporate store and talked to the store manager that I know pretty well. He stated if the upgrade date is 12/31/10 or before that we can get full upgrade discounts on release.

Have any of you had any experiences talking to At&t or Apple and if so, what are they telling you?
    06-11-10 04:52 PM
    Yeah they did say anyone who upgrade eligibility date is before the end of year would be moved up. It would be annoying for them to say that and then not honor it.
    06-11-10 05:10 PM
    Yeah they did say anyone who upgrade eligibility date is before the end of year would be moved up. It would be annoying for them to say that and then not honor it.
    My point exactly. Even the Apple store is clueless. I asked them if they watched Steve Jobs keynote on Monday. They said no. I recommended they did
    06-11-10 05:14 PM
    My point exactly. Even the Apple store is clueless. I asked them if they watched Steve Jobs keynote on Monday. They said no. I recommended they did
    Here is a link that I took from another thread.

Demystifying AT&T's iPhone upgrade policies (FAQ) | Signal Strength - CNET News

Found this part interesting:

Current iPhone subscribers are able to upgrade for the reduced prices on the iPhone 4 if their contract is up by the end of the year. What about customers whose contracts will expire next year? Will they be eligible for the reduced price six months before their contract ends?

Upgrade eligibility is based on several factors, not only length of contract. For example, AT&T takes into account your spending level, whether you are a good customer who pays his bill on time, and how far you are into your contract to determine whether you can upgrade early. AT&T has said that it will allow existing iPhone customers who are eligible for an upgrade between June 7 and the end of this year to get the best pricing for the iPhone 4 with a two-year term commitment. Consumers can verify upgrade eligibility here. Business customers can verify upgrade eligibility at AT&T's Premier site.

So I guess they still use other factors rather than just the date.

This part I don't get:

Can a current iPhone subscriber, who is not yet eligible for an upgrade at the $199 or $299 price, get a reduced price on the iPhone 4 if he upgrades early?

Yes, any current iPhone subscriber is eligible to upgrade early. The price of the phones will be $399 for the 16GB iPhone 4 and $499 for the 32GB iPhone 4. Subscribers will have to sign up for a new two-year contract.

The reason I don't get it because on my wife's line we've had an iPhone on it for the past 2 years and upgraded to a 3GS on it but she's not eligible for any upgrades.
    Last edited by scorpiodsu; 06-11-10 at 05:20 PM.
    06-11-10 05:17 PM
    That is strange. Nothing is too clear but well I guess we"ll find out on the 15th when we get to pre-order
    06-11-10 05:29 PM
    garz when u pre order the device on tuesday, it will give you the price your eligible for

i got my 3gs on launch day last year, and now can only get the 399/499 pricing

prob gonna get a 16gb since i NEVER filled up the 32gb

just another reason why i dont work for apple anymore
    06-11-10 07:09 PM
    i called att through 611 on my phone, and the lady told me that anyone with a upgrade date in year 2010 would be moved up to purchase new iphone. Mine unfortunately is at the beginning of 2011, and thats a no go...lol
    06-11-10 07:26 PM
    BGR posted a video from AT&T that explains the upgrading and data plans. The guy on the video said that they are pushing the dates up for current iPhone users who eligibility date is before the end of the year. Check out the vid and see what you think.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    06-11-10 10:20 PM
    Okay... the confusion is upgrade date vs.
    contract end date.

If your contract end date is within 2010,
    you get to upgrade. If your upgrade date
    is 2010, but your contract end date is
    2011, then you do not get the early
    upgrade.

Example #1... your contract ends 12/1/20,
    you get to get the upgrade.

Example #2... your contract ends 1/1/11,
    but you're able to upgrade date is 10/11/10,
    you will not be eligible to upgrade early.

You can check OLAM (online account
    manager) by logging online, click the
    "My Profile" drop down and select "User
    Information". Select the correct line and
    you should then see the contract end date.
    06-11-10 11:19 PM
    Duvi: Thanks for the very clear explanation. That helps.

My line (primary) isn't eligible for normal upgrade, but one of the kids lines is eligible. I'll use that upgrade to upgrade my line. I'm guessing I'm going to have to preorder on the phone? Any suggestions on how to avoid confusion or issues in doing the upgrade that way?
    06-12-10 12:16 AM
    It really doesn't matter. Once the phone gets to you,
    call customer service and tell them which line the
    iPhone will be going on. All you'll need to do is use
    the micro-sim and imei on your line rather than one of
    your kid's lines.
    06-12-10 02:06 AM
    Thanks, I appreciate it.
    06-12-10 10:51 AM
    thanks everybody for the replies
    06-12-10 01:24 PM
    No problem... is your contract end date this year though?
    06-12-10 01:50 PM
    No problem... is your contract end date this year though?
    Contract end date is 10/27/10 and upgrade date is 06/27/10. This is for the wife. My upgrade became eligible back on May 30th just 11 months after I bought the 3GS
    06-12-10 01:53 PM
    Yeah, that's normal for the primary line... I'm
    assuming your line has a MSC of $99/mo or
    more. For your wife's life, that's odd. I'd
    really get a manager in customer service &
    see if a case has to be filed out.
    06-12-10 02:25 PM
    Yeah, that's normal for the primary line... I'm
    assuming your line has a MSC of $99/mo or
    more. For your wife's life, that's odd. I'd
    really get a manager in customer service &
    see if a case has to be filed out.
    I called 611 and talked to business customer care. I asked to speak to somebody else or higher. She said there is nobody else I can talk to. I called her a effin bit*h and she hung up on me lol
    06-12-10 02:53 PM
    I'll be shelling out 700 for 2 iphones on tues. One full upgrade and the other early upgrade discount. I need the unlock to released asap so I can sell both my 3GS to get a lot of my money back lol.

Garz, does your wife currently have an iPhone?
    06-12-10 04:37 PM
    I called 611 and talked to business customer care. I asked to speak to somebody else or higher. She said there is nobody else I can talk to. I called her a effin bit*h and she hung up on me lol
    Wow bro. That really sucks. If you get their
    first and last name next time, I'll get you their
    manager's email. Heck, you'll even be able to
    copy the CEO of AT&T and the wireless side.

With Business Care, they have to give first
    and last name.
    06-12-10 05:26 PM
    I'll be shelling out 700 for 2 iphones on tues. One full upgrade and the other early upgrade discount. I need the unlock to released asap so I can sell both my 3GS to get a lot of my money back lol.

Garz, does your wife currently have an iPhone?
    I have two upgrades available, but I want the
    unlock for both 3Gs and i4 to come out. I plan
    on selling the 2nd i4 as well. Make all that $$$
    back and then some. Trying to get me a CBR
    bike soon.
    06-12-10 05:27 PM
    Sent an email to Executive Services, got a call back with the usual lingo. We call to check up blah blah blah, there are no overrides in place but they have been put in other years. '

Got no answer as to why even my brother, who got his 3GS the same day last summer is eligible now and im not until July 2011. He spends $15/month more than more (gets texts while I dont). I told the Executive CS guy, **** Id rather pay the $15 x 11 months difference than the $200 extra theyre trying to charge me (199 vs 399 price). Saves me almost $50 still!

I asked why there is so much inconsistency as to who gets bumped up who got a 3GS last summer and there was no explanation.

I almost wanted to use the language Garz did, when he said "we strive to assist blah blah blah and resolve problems." Heck nothing was resolved and this was Executive Care too!!!
    Last edited by stuaw11; 06-12-10 at 06:05 PM.
    06-12-10 06:02 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD