So I bought another 3gs today, for my husband. It is running 4.1 and already jailbroken (which is good because I do NOT know how to jailbreak) but not unlocked. I can't use ultrasnow because the baseband is 5.14.02 -So what do I do? How do update the baseband to 6.15? Will doing this undo the jailbreak? We need it unlocked asap. If anyone can help me and explain this to me as if I were a toddler (bearing in mind I am new to iPhone), it would be beyond appreciated!
    Last edited by shanti.virus; 02-10-11 at 11:47 PM.
    02-10-11 11:45 PM
    Once you unlock it that way, you ware pretty much stuck there forever, and youll never be able to restore, atleast if you use RedSnow. I dont know if Greenposi0n will work on it or not. Ill look for a sec.
    02-11-11 12:33 AM
    Alright, scratch that. New problem. He got frustrated with all of the previous owners iTunes and apps and hit "reset all settings". What to do now? Obviously it is not even going to be jailbroken anymore. Don't you need a valid AT&T sim card to activate the phone once it finishes resetting? Is there a way around that? Also should I update the firmware this time when I attempt to jailbreak and unlock it? I just don't know what to do.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    Last edited by shanti.virus; 02-11-11 at 12:42 AM.
    02-11-11 12:38 AM
    If youre on the baseband, looks like your only option is actually putting an iPad baseband on your phone. Which, yes, will allow you to unlock and keep jailbreak, but you will not be able to restore in itunes if you have any issues. You would have to wait until/if a higher baseband is released. If you have to do it its your only option, but is a iffy situation to be in IMO. If you still want a step by step still, let me know.
    02-11-11 12:43 AM
    If youre on the baseband, looks like your only option is actually putting an iPad baseband on your phone. Which, yes, will allow you to unlock and keep jailbreak, but you will not be able to restore in itunes if you have any issues. You would have to wait until/if a higher baseband is released. If you have to do it its your only option, but is a iffy situation to be in IMO. If you still want a step by step still, let me know.
    Thanks so much D2VW14_20, that would've been very helpful to me had he not gone and done what he did just now

02-11-11 12:50 AM
    Your already on the newest baseband. 6.15 is what you will end up on if you unlock with the iPad firmware.
    02-11-11 12:50 AM
    Thanks so much D2VW14_20, that would've been very helpful to me had he not gone and done what he did just now

You will still be able to unlock/jailbreak with a TMo SIM, just a little tricky.

Check this site out and see if it helps. Just know once you do it, your there until/if something else is released.

Here is the Link
    Ahmi likes this.
    02-11-11 12:51 AM
    Thanks so much for taking the time, that's exactly what I was looking for, I am very relieved. Now hopefully the phone will finally finish this restore so I can start on it. It sure takes an awfully long time...
    02-11-11 01:25 AM
    Yea a restore can take anywhere from 30 minutes to a few hours. Hope it all works out.
    02-11-11 01:55 AM
    Another quick question for anyone who knows--- Redsnow is asking me 'Is this the newer model 3gs?' and gives me an example of the start of a serial number. Mine is nothing like that, it starts with 5K0010...so what do I say?
    Last edited by shanti.virus; 02-11-11 at 04:48 PM. Reason: typo
    02-11-11 04:42 PM
    The way I read it that may be 10th week of 2010. So it may be a newer model. Not for sure on that though.
    02-11-11 05:17 PM
    Is yours a MC or MC model?
    02-11-11 05:19 PM
    I don't know the model, as I can't get past the activation screen to check yet. I've tried How to Check iPhone 3GS New Bootrom / Old Bootrom (iBoot) Version | Redmond Pie to check, but it doesn't work. Would it be catastrophic if I just assumed it was a newer model but isn't really?
    02-11-11 05:38 PM
    Under setting it should say Model - MB***** or MC***** . If its MC, is safe to bet its newer. It you do and its not, youll have to perform a restore like you did last night and start over.
    02-11-11 05:42 PM
    Well since I'm still stuck at where I was last night I guess it's not a big deal. I can not get into the settings in the phone to check the model for sure because it is still in the emergency only/activation screen. So I guess I'll just wing it. Thanks for the info, though.
    02-11-11 05:47 PM
    Oh sorry then. I'd go with newer. I thinks it's a safer bet than not.
    02-11-11 05:53 PM
    Bad idea. The jailbreak seemed to go okay, then it locked up on the apple logo screen. So I tried to turn it off, and it went into recovery mode. Can't fix through itunes because the firmware is at 6.15. Now all it does is stay on the 'connect to itunes' screen. Nothing else. Did I brick it?
    02-11-11 06:30 PM
    If you followed this, it should have went alright. It wouldve stayed on the apple logo for a little bit while it did its thing.
    02-11-11 09:08 PM
    I did every step of that 100% precisely. That's what I don't understand. It jailbroke, stated 'done', and I waited at the apple screen for a long time when it went black then locked up and went into recovery, then I freaked out and tried to restart it. My husband was so mad at me, lol, it's his phone. I have literally cried in front of the computer for 10.5 hours trying everything I could google. Now I have managed to FINALLY get back to the emergency/activation sceen by loading a custom firmware, but I'm too scared to even try anything else now. I'm curious, though, since I updated the irreversable 16.15 earlier, but just now installed the custom 4.2.1 with 5.13, what baseband would actually be on the phone right now (I still have no way to check)...
    02-12-11 01:00 AM
    That I do not know. I'd say if you successfully loaded a new firmware on there you're back on 5.xx but it may have just patched 6.xx. Only thing I can say is maybe try to get a sim from an AT&T customer you know or maybe try a prepaid AT&T sim to figure it out. Or try the jailbreak again since you know you can restore it back to where you are. There is no way of telling where you are at without getting into the settings. It may be worth the $10 for an AT&T sim to atlases put in there to get definite answers. That way you know exactly what you are dealing with. But you do have to give the unlock or jailbreak some time. But right now I would just try to get someone ou know or get an AT&T some in there for just a second to see exactly what is going. Or look on you craigslist to see if there is anyone in your area to do it for you. Sorry I couldn't be more help. Just hard to say exactly without knowing.
    02-12-11 01:27 AM
    No, you were plenty help, thanks. It's nice to at least not feel alone with this. I do know I can get back to where I am now if I messed it up again, but I think I'll do that, just buy an ATT sim just to be sure. It's not worth pressing my luck over a bit of impatience.
    02-12-11 02:37 AM
    HA! I figured what the heck, one more try won't hurt. Ran jailbreak with greenpois0n, at emergency screen I rebooted, ran redsnow to install cydia and bam, phone was untethered-jailbroken and activated! (Btw its still at 6.15 and the model started with MB, whichever one that meant). Ill have to post a link to the guide I found in the morning when I go back through my browsing history. I'm so relieved.

02-12-11 03:23 AM
    Well congrats then!! Its nice when it starts to work out!!! Enjoy it.
    02-12-11 09:32 AM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD