Well i've seen people say they wouldnt get the 9700 just because of the browser, the hardware is fine, it'll be rare for most people to have a defective trackpad or one that's pointed up. I've played around with the 9700 and the iphone, I gotta admit, i like the iphone's screen and browser but I'm not going to be watching movies or any videos on my phone so screen size doesnt bother me, and the browser.... well RIM is supposedly coming out with a new browser next year, but in the meantime there are other browsers out there like bolt and opera, i personally like opera, it looks good, renders pages a lot faster than the bb browser, faster than the 3gs and i know this because I've tested it with my friends iphone 3Gs but then he cheated by going onto wifi... by the way the 8900 is the bb that i have which has no 3G and i was running on EDGE and won. But if you're looking for a great youtube experience, good browser and tons of apps go with the iphone, if youre looking for customization, push email, multi-tasking, good phone and awesome battery life with not so many apps, stick with blackberry. I personally love the blackberry, it actually does everything i need it to do, other than the apps of the iphone, and the browser i don't see what's so great about it. Most of my friends are switching from and iphone to a blackberry except for one, but thats because he says he need all 32 gigs of memory when he doesn't even use 4gigs on his phone.
    12-07-09 08:27 AM
    If you want basically the same phone you have now, then get the 9700. Don't really see the point in using an upgrade on a phone that's really not an upgrade over the 9000. If you want to try something different and see what it has to offer, get an iPhone. If you don't like it, take it back and get something else. But I would not recommend going from a 9000 to a 9700. But if you need RIM's "newest" (and I use that term loosely) blackberry, then get the 9700. But brace yourself, not really different than any other one that's out.
    12-07-09 11:58 AM
    Or just try the iPhone, download WhatsApp now (free for now) and keep an eye on a very near future release for Blackberry (In beta right now), once they are done you will cross-chat with your sister for free, just like using BBM. Believe me it's that good...
    Thanks for the great app suggestion. I'm with you on this one. I love everything berry with one exception....the multimedia experience. iPhone won this handsdown. I personally use both the Bold primarily for the work week the iPhone 3GS for the weekends.

You are also right on about switching plans from the mandatory 30 day iPhone to the Blackberry plan. Ran into this problem but thankfully I had a stellar rep to assist me!!!
    12-08-09 07:37 AM
    Depend on what you mainly use your phone for. iphone can use for chatting too, and if you can live without the push mail, get the iphone.
    12-11-09 03:42 AM
    As someone who went from a crappy flip phone to the 3Gs 32 gig I'll say this, you kill the capabilities of the phone if you want even semi-decent battery life. It is currently 10:00 AM MST and my iPhone battery is now at 58%. I heard claims of poor battery life but this is horrid. No wi-fi, no push email notifications, brightness is down, **** I even restored the phone last night hoping for an improvement and it's just meh. Browser is awesome I'll give it that. But when I'm at work; I'm working. I don't have time to browse the net. And when I'm off work I'm usually at home in which I have my laptop with me. On top of that, this is my biggest qwirk with the phone. The ear peace where the chrome meets the glass has this sharp lip, and if I'm someplace somewhat loud EG the mall and I need to take a call I have to press the phone into my ear and after 3 minutes it completely irritates the living crap out of it. Then there is the apps, which I've looked into this one; every app I use on the iPhone they also have for the BB. Sure the iPhone has MORE apps at its disposal, but they aren't apps I consider critical for day to day usage nor are they apps I want. Lack of multitasking as well. Yes you can jailbreak which I also did and backgrounder would keep the apps in memory for maybe, 3-5 minutes then it would crash. At this point I'm STRONGLY considering swapping it out for the 9700(Which was my initial plan but impulse got the best of me with this all mighty "Jesus Phone") as I use my phone as a phone/email/text device more often than a portable media device. The phone was $200 more than the BB would be for AT&T's December pricing and I wouldn't even say it's $50 more phone.
    12-16-09 11:11 AM
    sorry but there is something wrong with your phone before you go off spouting "jesus phone" FUD. I HAVE push email on, about 8 push notification-using apps, and WIFI (on but not connected), and when i got home yesterday 8 hours later i had more than 58%- more like 70-75% which is pretty decent for a large touchscreen phone in 8 hours of being on. Its obviously something wrong with your specific phone. Have you tried bringing it to an Apple store and asking them to look at it and swap it?

The earpiece is on the low side, but I can tell you the 9700's wasnt much louder, it surely was no Bold 9000 earpiece in terms of volume. If youre jailbroken theres a "volume boost" thing in Cydia which definitely helps, youll just have to install Winterboard in Cydia and put the Volume Boost checked in Winterboard and at the top of the list.

With backgrounder its only closing out likely because youre leaving too much open (too many big programs). Same thing happens with any multitasking OS like WM or BB, programs will start shutting down when RAM gets low. You only have a bout 150mb free and iphone apps are much heavier than BB apps in terms of RAM (how many you can keep open). I see no benefit to keeping everything left open, that takes battery life too keeping those in RAM running!
    Last edited by stuaw11; 12-16-09 at 12:53 PM.
    12-16-09 12:47 PM
    I'm in the same boat with being undecided about my choice of phones. I am currently using the BB 9700 and have been for the past month. Great device ! I was using the iphone 3GS before the switch and boy, do I miss it ! I miss the browser, apps and ipod feature. The BB 9700 rules with BB Messenger and email. I am in a state of confusion. As much as I love the BB, I probably will be switching back to the iphone tonight. They are both fantastic devices and I hope that someday soon, I'll be able to pick a device and stick with it. My wife is going to kill me for constantly changing data plans ...Do I need help ?
    12-16-09 03:44 PM
    sorry but there is something wrong with your phone before you go off spouting "jesus phone" FUD. I HAVE push email on, about 8 push notification-using apps, and WIFI (on but not connected), and when i got home yesterday 8 hours later i had more than 58%- more like 70-75% which is pretty decent for a large touchscreen phone in 8 hours of being on. Its obviously something wrong with your specific phone. Have you tried bringing it to an Apple store and asking them to look at it and swap it?

The earpiece is on the low side, but I can tell you the 9700's wasnt much louder, it surely was no Bold 9000 earpiece in terms of volume. If youre jailbroken theres a "volume boost" thing in Cydia which definitely helps, youll just have to install Winterboard in Cydia and put the Volume Boost checked in Winterboard and at the top of the list.

With backgrounder its only closing out likely because youre leaving too much open (too many big programs). Same thing happens with any multitasking OS like WM or BB, programs will start shutting down when RAM gets low. You only have a bout 150mb free and iphone apps are much heavier than BB apps in terms of RAM (how many you can keep open). I see no benefit to keeping everything left open, that takes battery life too keeping those in RAM running!
    Apple ran their "Diagnostic" test on the phone and found not a single thing wrong with it. As for backgrounder, I would have my facebook app backgrounded and Safari open with 2 tabs. That's it. No iTunes, no app store, no messaging.

EDIT: As for the "Jesus phone" there's a reason I put in quotes. People praise it so highly but at least in my book, falls short. It tries to be too many things and gets caught in the middle of being a laptop and a phone. I have the laptops. I need a phone. And with me the iPhone was not comfortable to be used *as* a phone. I already swapped it out. The 9700 will take some getting used to, but it feels better in my hand. Maybe one day if the iPhone gets more refined I'll give it another go. But I have my laptop for travel and the 9700 already feels worlds better when making calls.
    Last edited by Cerberus2k7; 12-16-09 at 03:55 PM.
    12-16-09 03:49 PM
    EDIT: As for the "Jesus phone" there's a reason I put in quotes. People praise it so highly but at least in my book, falls short. It tries to be too many things and gets caught in the middle of being a laptop and a phone. I have the laptops. I need a phone. An
    Some people forget the fact that the iPhone falls short on the phone part.
    Tempting as the iPhone is for all the great stuff it does well, the phone section is still important to me.

Cnet
    "The bad: The iPhone 3GS' call quality shows no improvements and the 3G signal reception remains uneven. We still don't get Flash Lite, USB transfer and storage, or multitasking."
    12-17-09 12:35 AM
34 12
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD