**Disclaimer, I Apologize if this seems like a Rant- But I promise it's not intended to be**

I had my iPhone 1st gen and iPhone 3G for a while now-

Once I got my 3G I no longer used my 1st Gen (Obviously)

But All Was Good Because I could Still Use my 1st Gen as an iPod Touch-

This worked quite well until I started downloaded apps through the app store and instead of being content with having them on my 3G I wanted to put them on my 1st Gen Too.

So- I updated to the Firmware version that allows for app use (I forget which one)

And Right after completing the update- Poof!

I no longer had an iPhone/iPod Touch, I had an iBrick.

I can't use the thing at all, which pisses me off.

I paid $499 for it, never jail broke it, and played it straight all the way through.

How is this fair?

Is there any way to get around this?
    02-14-09 12:43 PM
    Warranty Exchange?
    02-14-09 12:45 PM
    Warranty Exchange?
    If not that hope the OP has Apple Care...

Sorry to hear that. Have you tried putting the phone into recovery mode?
    02-14-09 12:50 PM
    If not that hope the OP has Apple Care...

Sorry to hear that. Have you tried putting the phone into recovery mode?
    The phone itself isn't broken-

It just says it needs to be activated in order to work again. (IE Use the iPod feature)

So its pretty much useless unless I add a line or reactivate my 1st Gen and make my 3G unactive.

All I really want to use it for, is to have a "Pseudo-iPod Touch"
    02-14-09 12:51 PM
    The phone itself isn't broken-

It just says it needs to be activated in order to work again. (IE Use the iPod feature)

So its pretty much useless unless I add a line or reactivate my 1st Gen and make my 3G unactive.
    Oh, yeah that makes sense if you just updated it. If you really want it to work as a iPod you can jailbreak/activate it. Very simple with that phone and will take 10 minutes tops.
    02-14-09 12:53 PM
    How about you put your SIM card in it, plug it to iTunes, let it do its thing, then when its activated, put your sim card back in your 3G.
    Simple as that.
    02-14-09 12:55 PM
    Oh, yeah that makes sense if you just updated it. If you really want it to work as a iPod you can jailbreak/activate it. Very simple with that phone and will take 10 minutes tops.
    I think I'll do that-

But now that it's illegal, would it be okay?

LOL
    02-14-09 12:57 PM
    I think I'll do that-

But now that it's illegal, would it be okay?

LOL
    You'll be fine and I think you will enjoy the phone more...
    02-14-09 01:00 PM
    **Disclaimer, I Apologize if this seems like a Rant- But I promise it's not intended to be**

This worked quite well until I started downloaded apps through the app store and instead of being content with having them on my 3G I wanted to put them on my 1st Gen Too.

So- I updated to the Firmware version that allows for app use (I forget which one)

I paid $499 for it, never jail broke it, and played it straight all the way through.

How is this fair?

One word....Quickpwn
    very simple just follow the steps, you can download it of the web. I would use the DevTeam blog sight to download. Also, download the jailbreak and unlock guide as a tutorial. Install Cydia which will allow you to download 3rd party apps as well as AppStore and Itunes. You can even install "Installer" but Cydia has more apps.
    02-14-09 01:10 PM
    02-14-09 01:12 PM
    My advice, skip "Installer" - Cydia has taken over. Nothing really worth while left on Installer. Especially for the latest firmware.
    02-14-09 01:14 PM
    the price $0.00
    you wont have to activate and you can use it as an IPod if you so choose
    02-14-09 01:15 PM
    My advice, skip "Installer" - Cydia has taken over. Nothing really worth while left on Installer. Especially for the latest firmware.
    I second that...not to mention Installer can give you problems. At least on my 2G it did.

but it is an option if you so choose, which was my point
    02-14-09 01:16 PM
    I don't exactly understand what happened..
    02-14-09 02:31 PM
    I don't exactly understand what happened..
    When you update a iPhone via iTunes it puts it back into its normal new state when it is complete. It then searches for the SIM card and phone number to activate it. Well it found neither of those when the update was complete and that's about it. So it was like Prada had a new phone that she just bought waiting to be activated via iTunes.
    02-14-09 02:39 PM
    So is that able to be fixed?

Also I just bought an unlocked almost new 16GB off of ebay. What do I need to know about updating it?

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    02-14-09 09:04 PM
    So is that able to be fixed?

Also I just bought an unlocked almost new 16GB off of ebay. What do I need to know about updating it?

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    Yeah, technically there is nothing wrong with the phone. As far as your unlocked 3G it all depends on if it is Apple unlocked or Software unlocked? If it is a legit unlocked 3G you have nothing to worry about. If it was software unlocked and you have to update the firmware you will need to look into jailbreaking/unlocking the latest firmware.
    02-14-09 11:48 PM

How is this fair?

Take it to the apple store, see what they can do for ya!
    02-15-09 06:17 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD