My Verizon upgrade is in September and I'm trying to decide what route to go. Right now I'm on a 9650 on the 524 leak for OS 6 and I love how you know it does just about everything I need, but I can't help but wonder if an iPhone would do me better. I've never actually personally owned an Apple product unless you count iTunes but I've played with the iPod Touch and iPhone a bit, but never enough to form a solid opinion.

I know the keyboard is pretty smooth for typing on though as I tried it and I didn't do too bad for a screen keyboard really. But I was using my phone last night as some bad news had happened and I posted a vague message on FB and everybody was texting me asking what happened and I realized how nice the keyboard on the Bold really is (I haven't texted that much lately and used to, so I felt the keyboard again). So I mean that's one huge thing that I love about my phone right now. I had a Droid Eris for a while and I just couldn't get used to input on that phone to the level I have on my BB as far as speed. I was hoping Swype would be the answer but it didn't seem like it. Would iOS work for that?

Also, I was thinking about maybe just getting an iPod Touch for now to try it out and maybe just get a cheap Verizon dumb phone and just use the Touch for all my "smartphone" needs. I may even have everyone text my Google Voice number for now and try using the Touch for just texting to see if I like it. I figure the iP5 should be out around the time of my upgrade and I would even wanna see if it's worthy of my time.

Also, what about the new BB devices coming out, they look like they might be nice enough too.

Decisions decisions.
    04-13-11 01:22 PM
    The fact that you're due for an upgrade in September is a blessing in disguise. By
    then the iPhone 5 may be out and maybe even some of the BB devices that have
    been being leaked lately.

You could do the iPod touch thing with a dumbphone. But every time I read about
    how people do that, they can't stand it. I can almost guarantee you that you'd
    grow tired of it.

As far as Swype goes, I personally think it will be on iOS one day. But not soon.
    04-13-11 02:00 PM
    I would rather have an iPhone 3G than a new 6.1 device. I would really wait for QNX smartphones before purchasing another BB. OS 6.1 will be forgotten fast. QNX is where RIMs future is.
    04-13-11 02:12 PM
    Hmm ok. My only thinking is whether I would even like iOS. Any ideas to try it? Verizon only has 14 days now for returning a device.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    04-13-11 07:21 PM
    Hmm ok. My only thinking is whether I would even like iOS. Any ideas to try it? Verizon only has 14 days now for returning a device.

Get an iPod touch from Target instead. You have 90 days.
    04-13-11 07:32 PM
    Get an iPod touch from Target instead. You have 90 days.
    I didn't know they sold iPod Touchs. Cool!
    04-13-11 11:45 PM
    Ok here's a question, what about typing on one? I tried one at the Verizon store and it seemed like it was a lot less accurate. I don't hate my BB but one thing I LOVE!!! is the keyboard. Do I just need to get used to it? I had a similar keyboard on the Droid Eris and I didn't seem to do as good either.
    04-17-11 09:01 AM
    Give it a few weeks and you will pick up the virtual keyboard. There is a learning curve with it, coming from a tactile keyboard. Took me about three weeks and I am just as fast on the screen as I was on the buttons. Just as accurate as well.
    04-17-11 09:12 AM
    Typing on one takes a couple of days to get used to. I came from two previous Storm generations and had no issue with the keyboard transition aside from the fact that the iPhone keyboard is a bit less cramped so it took me a bit to adjust to the key spacing and not make a few mistakes while typing fast. Tactile feedback was also a bit different because I no longer had the press sensation I was used to, but in about a week, the need for it went away. I turned off the key clicking even and I have no issues typing. I'm posting from it right now.
    04-17-11 10:35 AM
    When you type fast and make a mistake, don't worry about the mistake. It most
    likely will be auto-corrected. For example if you're typing fast and try to type "spear"
    and type s-o-e-s-r, you're most likely going to be auto-corrected. I just tried it
    myself.
    04-17-11 12:04 PM
    Take your time and pick. I'm due for an upgrade now and there is nothing BB that interests me.

04-17-11 12:56 PM
    Ok well I suppose. I may just have to get an iPod Touch like a used one and see if it even agrees with me.
    04-18-11 02:48 PM
    Ok well I suppose. I may just have to get an iPod Touch like a used one and see if it even agrees with me.
    An iPod touch is the reason I got an iPhone a couple years ago. Got one for free when I bought a macbook. At that time, I really wasn't paying attention to the iPod touch and didn't care about the iPhone. I was a BB diehard. But when I playing with the touch I said to myself "I can have a phone that does all this?". So I sold the touch, got an iPhone.
    04-18-11 02:54 PM
    Hmm. Thanks for the advice guys. If anyone else has any advice go ahead.
    04-19-11 06:49 PM
    This year, the phone I have my eye on is the Droid Bionic. That thing looks like it is going to be a beast of a phone. I have a feeling that the iPhone 5 will not be that much of a leap from the iPhone 4 so I will probably pass on that. I personally don't care about any 4G phones because I don't live in a city that utilizes 4G towers so why pay an extra $10 a month for service I won't be using.

I may keep an eye on the upcoming Blackberry Monaco or Dakota, but who knows. I haven't really heard much about those two.
    04-19-11 08:38 PM
    You have alot of time, as previously said, by September alot of those rumored phones, including the iPhone 5 may be out
    MrObvious likes this.
    04-19-11 08:43 PM
    Take your time and pick. I'm due for an upgrade now and there is nothing BB that interests me.

Agreed!

I've been entitled to an upgrade for a few months and I'm waiting as well. With the rumors that iPhone 5 will not be a major upgrade the Bold Touch is looking really good. I'm definitely going for the QNX next year regardless of what I buy this year.
    04-20-11 12:17 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD