I dont know if this is the best place to post or not.
    I thought i had my mind made up...but now i am indecisive again.
    I will be looking to upgrade from my curve 8330 in a few months.
    Cant decide between tour 2 or iphone.
    Your thoughts / opinions????
    03-09-10 09:40 AM
    If it's going to be a few months before you upgrade I would say wait and see what the new iPhone will have to offer. If I had to pick one device it would be the iPhone. I would also pick an Android device running 2.0 or higher before the blackberry. You can just do so much more on them. If you decide to stay with VZW, go with an Android device and if you want to switch, obviously the iPhone.
    03-09-10 09:43 AM
    If it's going to be a few months before you upgrade I would say wait and see what the new iPhone will have to offer. If I had to pick one device it would be the iPhone. I would also pick an Android device running 2.0 or higher before the blackberry. You can just do so much more on them. If you decide to stay with VZW, go with an Android device and if you want to switch, obviously the iPhone.
    Not sure why, but I agree with you. I think I'm just down on BBs right now. Seem to keep getting excited for nothing really!
    03-09-10 09:50 AM
    I am actually with sprint now, I don't think they have android?
    When are the new iphones supposed to come out??
    Does anyone know what the changes may be with the new iphone??
    Thx!!

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    03-09-10 09:53 AM
    Thx!!

*Sprint does not
    *June/July 2010
    *iChat, wireless N draft, super AMOLED 1080p 50,000,000:1 contrast ratio , 64gb hd, led useless flash, 5mp camera, new bing web search, NATIVE MS Office apps (word, excel, powerpoint, access, outlook etc.) on OS 4.0 (yes folks the partnership has arrived to kill Google's Android!)
    AND the kicker...... drum roll please...

$99 for the 64gb with two year At&t contract AND new lower $25 data plan!!! to KILL the Google Monster!

At&t is not really going to lower their data to $25 but Steve Jobs will subsidize $5 of it because he hates Verizon for backslapping Apple in all their commercials. At&t will also cripple any and all Android devices they get because.. well.. Apple hates Google and Google isn't making At&t rich beyond belief so...

Edited for: TMUI
    Last edited by Entertainment72; 03-09-10 at 10:12 AM.
    03-09-10 10:01 AM
    Thx!!

Sprint has the Samsung Moment and HTC Hero right now. The both run Android but not 2.0. Not sure if these will get the 2.0 upgrade though. Most likely, they will be getting a new Android device too in a couple months. So I would wait to see what they have to offer and don't upgrade to another blackberry until there are some major changes.
    03-09-10 11:25 AM
    theres not a fricken chance the new one will be 99 espically if its a 64 gb the 3gs 16gb might drop to 99 but not a brand new model like that its all a bunch of rumors which no one knows 99.99 percent forsure anyways till they anounce it
    03-09-10 11:45 AM
    Want to play games and have fancy graphics and animations? Iphone, hands down.

Need constant connectivity, multitasking or just need a phone that's good at being a phone? Wait for the new Tour (or apparently it's now being branded a Bold)
    03-09-10 12:10 PM
    well first what do you like about Blackberry the most, and lets see if iPhone has solutions for you.
    03-09-10 12:17 PM
    well first what do you like about Blackberry the most, and lets see if iPhone has solutions for you.
    What I love about my BB:
    -LOOVE the way it handles my 3 email accounts.
    -Really like the physical keyboard, but assume I would get used to the other "touch" pad
    -Love the calendar reminders
    -Love the great phone quality
    -Like that my kids don't constantly want to play with it (like they do my husband's iphone ;-))

Why do I want an iphone?
    -better internet browsing
    -better picture quality
    -ability to upload photos right to shutterfly
    Last edited by newmomto1; 03-09-10 at 01:18 PM.
    03-09-10 01:14 PM
    Haha, you're in a pretty tough place with those requirements. Most of the things you like about Blackberry aren't available on iPhone, and visa versa

iPhone will not handle email nearly as elegantly as BB

-Really like the physical keyboard, but assume I would get used to the other "touch" pad
    you will get used to it, but it's not the same experience. It's a compromise for sure when you're used to a physical keyboard.

iPhone can do calendar reminders, but again it's not as feature filled and integrated as the BB calendar is

Build quality of the iPhone is also very good.

-Like that my kids don't constantly want to play with it (like they do my husband's iphone ;-))
    Wish I was that lucky, kids will play with anything shiny

Why do I want an iphone?

You won't see an equal experience on Blackberry for a long time. Even after the webkit browser is released, the experience won't be as good.

-better picture quality
    If you mean camera, the camera on my 9700 is considerably better than the one on my iphone. If you mean screen, then the iPhone has a bigger screen for sure, but the newer BBs actually have denser pixels than the iphone, meaning there's actually more being displayed on a BB screen than an iphone.

Not going to see this on BB for a while either. In fact, if you are at all concerned about 3rd party apps, iPhone is a no-brainer. They may not allow the most functionality in 3rd party apps, but the sheer abundance of them puts Apples app ecosystem years ahead of everyone else.

I would probably offer the same advice as others in this thread: wait and see.

See what the new iPhone OS does different, and see what the new blackberry OS changes. You shouldn't have to wait too long for either, so patience may be your best option here.
    03-09-10 01:49 PM
    Haha, you're in a pretty tough place with those requirements. Most of the things you like about Blackberry aren't available on iPhone, and visa versa

iPhone will not handle email nearly as elegantly as BB

you will get used to it, but it's not the same experience. It's a compromise for sure when you're used to a physical keyboard.

iPhone can do calendar reminders, but again it's not as feature filled and integrated as the BB calendar is

Build quality of the iPhone is also very good.

Wish I was that lucky, kids will play with anything shiny

Why do I want an iphone?

You won't see an equal experience on Blackberry for a long time. Even after the webkit browser is released, the experience won't be as good.

-better picture quality
    If you mean camera, the camera on my 9700 is considerably better than the one on my iphone. If you mean screen, then the iPhone has a bigger screen for sure, but the newer BBs actually have denser pixels than the iphone, meaning there's actually more being displayed on a BB screen than an iphone.

Not going to see this on BB for a while either. In fact, if you are at all concerned about 3rd party apps, iPhone is a no-brainer. They may not allow the most functionality in 3rd party apps, but the sheer abundance of them puts Apples app ecosystem years ahead of everyone else.

I would probably offer the same advice as others in this thread: wait and see.

See what the new iPhone OS does different, and see what the new blackberry OS changes. You shouldn't have to wait too long for either, so patience may be your best option here.
    A buddy posted this in another thread so I'll just repost what he said cause I'm lazy

I really want to know where people get this notion BB is the king of email, calendar, and texting. *Ok Ill give it has a keyboard so texting is easier, but thats preference.

iPhone has the same push email at least for the major email services- Yahoo, Gmail, MS Exchange; better HTML email rendering; no truncation of emails; no 2mb attachment limit; and full folders/contact and calendar sync out of the box. *I cant think of one thing its really better at, and compared to BIS anything is better.

It has a calendar too that works just fine, and looks a ton better than the 1990's looking BB calendar. *Both you enter a start and end time, subject, location, repeat, alarm, notes, invites, etc. *I dont see the BB being any better at calendar.

I dont think BB is king at any of those anymore outside of a preference to have a real keyboard. *It was maybe king 5-10 years ago when it was RIM and Palm (and somewhat Windows Mobile just starting out), but other smartphones do just fine on all of those functions.
    03-09-10 02:26 PM
    Yes I know...this is my dilemma
    03-09-10 04:13 PM
    the tour2 NOBODY knows what it looks like (hardware and software). it can be a whole new phone once it is announced. you can't go by what we have seen.

are u sticking with sprint? if so, just wait and see what sprint has to offer once your upgrade comes available.

personally, im keeping my current tour for business and getting the 4gen iphone for personal

best of both worlds
    03-09-10 04:25 PM
    A buddy posted this in another thread so I'll just repost what he said cause I'm lazy

I really want to know where people get this notion BB is the king of email, calendar, and texting. *Ok Ill give it has a keyboard so texting is easier, but thats preference.

iPhone has the same push email at least for the major email services- Yahoo, Gmail, MS Exchange; better HTML email rendering; no truncation of emails; no 2mb attachment limit; and full folders/contact and calendar sync out of the box. *I cant think of one thing its really better at, and compared to BIS anything is better.

It has a calendar too that works just fine, and looks a ton better than the 1990's looking BB calendar. *Both you enter a start and end time, subject, location, repeat, alarm, notes, invites, etc. *I dont see the BB being any better at calendar.

I dont think BB is king at any of those anymore outside of a preference to have a real keyboard. *It was maybe king 5-10 years ago when it was RIM and Palm (and somewhat Windows Mobile just starting out), but other smartphones do just fine on all of those functions.
    I'm also lazy, so I'll just state that HIS opinions are just that, opinions. There's no facts in what you've pasted here, and in fact much of the info is just plain wrong. But again, too lazy to argue, especially when one side doesn't offer to give something credit where it's due. I try to be impartial, but I'm not interested in joining the endless debate.
    Last edited by mikeo007; 03-09-10 at 05:37 PM.
    03-09-10 05:34 PM
    thats funny because 99% of that IS fact and BIS limitations.
    03-09-10 05:42 PM
    I def think I will take the advice on waiting to see what the new tour and the new iphone each have to offer.
    I refuse to carry two devices (it's enough that I have to shlep stuff for my two kids including a leapster and a nintendo DS everywhere we go!).
    I know no matter which way I go I will be wishing I had features of the one I didn't get...so typical "me"...ugh!
    Or, maybe when the new phones come out there will be some feature that will make it an easy decision for me (I hope!!).
    Thanks for all the feedback...I will continue to watch this thread if anyone else has any words of wisdom for me
    03-09-10 06:38 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD