It Looks Like The iPhone 5S Fingerprint Scanner Has Been Hacked

http://feedproxy.google.com/~r/busin...-hacked-2013-9

What do you guys think?

Posted via CB10
    09-22-13 06:37 PM
    I think nearly everything in this world is hackable. But other than that, I am not surprised. There are some people in this world, that don't have anything better to do in life but hack into stuff.

Posted via CB10
    09-22-13 06:41 PM
    I am thinking that its not surprising this works. Its what people always do in the movies lol.
    amazinglygraceless likes this.
    09-22-13 06:42 PM
    A finger print scanner is actually a weak way of identifying someone. Even in forensic sciences fingerprints are only useful in solving crimes when the criminal doesn't take quite simple precautions to avoid leaving the finger prints behind.
    09-22-13 07:36 PM
    Personally, I think it's kind of funny this amazing new security feature that utilizes all new technology!

... didn't last a weekend.

Posted via CB10
    Supa_Fly1 likes this.
    09-22-13 07:45 PM

Edit NM. Not really related.
    09-22-13 08:42 PM
    +1

Posted via CB10
    09-22-13 08:46 PM
    So.....not exactly a hack. If someone has your fingerprint image and your phone, I don't see why they couldn't use it. I get the gist of what you're getting at though.
    09-22-13 08:48 PM
    but the fingerprint reader was never a security feature... only for convenience to make it easier and quicker to unlock the phone. You still have to use password, ,.

similar to the Validity scanner we have used on HP laptops for many many years already
    BravoZuluDelta likes this.
    09-22-13 09:30 PM
    but the fingerprint reader was never a security feature... only for convenience to make it easier and quicker to unlock the phone. You still have to use password, ,.

similar to the Validity scanner we have used on HP laptops for many many years already
    Have you read the iPhans posting about it, mainly defending it, on here? They sure thought it was a security feature. I seen to remember a lot of posts about how BlackBerry fans should want it due to the security.

Lol! Just like, 'just wait til the new cheap iPhone comes out, then there's no stopping iPhone!' turns in to 'well, you know the 5c was never intended to be a cheap phone'.

:-D

Posted via CB10
    Carjackd likes this.
    09-22-13 09:35 PM
    I remember the RiM fans dismissing it with real world tales of severed fingers, cello tape spy catcher shi*, sleeping cheating spouses and other such likely scenarios.

Don't be a dope and believe these "hacks" will ever be used in reality.

Have you read the iPhans posting about it, mainly defending it, on here? They sure thought it was a security feature. I seen to remember a lot of posts about how BlackBerry fans should want it due to the security.

Lol! Just like, 'just wait til the new cheap iPhone comes out, then there's no stopping iPhone!' turns in to 'well, you know the 5c was never intended to be a cheap phone'.

:-D

Posted via CB10

Sent from my 4s using TapaTalk
    09-22-13 09:37 PM
    I remember the RiM fans dismissing it with real world tales of severed fingers, cello tape spy catcher shi*, sleeping cheating spouses and other such likely scenarios.

Don't be a dope and believe these "hacks" will ever be used in reality.

Yeah, the severed fingers stuff was going too far, a real world issue is just waiting for someone to fall asleep. I think, hope, most people were joking and not being serious. I know myself, I think it's dumb. Fingerprint scanners never work well for long. Throw it on a phone that gets beat up, and good luck with that. Not to mention, it's tech no one was asking for. Lol! I said something like this in a different thread, but why didn't they give us a laser pointer instead. Makes about as much sense as a fingerprint scanner, but more fun.

Sorry if I get a case of 'I told you so's' even though I never said anything about beating it.

Now that I say it, a laser pointer might be kind of cool.... using your phone as a remote to give a presentation, and having that little red dot to show people where to look... quick! get someone on this!

Posted via CB10
    09-22-13 09:52 PM
    The only reason Apple added this fingerprint scanner is because the home button is the most common failure on an iPhone so they added something really expensive to it, revenue! /s

09-22-13 09:54 PM
    Silly isn't it? Kind of like all the folks with a non-BES BB10 device that TRULY believe it is more secure than everything else on the market. Point is, the average consumer wouldn't know mobile security if it moved into their house, drank all their liquor, ran up their heating bill and knocked up their daughter.
    Richard Buckley likes this.
    09-22-13 10:02 PM
    Silly isn't it? Kind of like all the folks with a non-BES BB10 device that TRULY believe it is more secure than everything else on the market. Point is, the average consumer wouldn't know mobile security if it moved into their house, drank all their liquor, ran up their heating bill and knocked up their daughter.
    Still know that the data transfered over a blackberry wifi connection in Starbucks is more secure than apple or iPhone, bes or not. Yeah you can sniff the ip, but good luck accessing the phone without a password that is set over any type of wifi sharing. Seen it at my work, couldn't crack it. And no was not on bes.

Posted via CB10
    Carjackd, bradu1 and donmateo like this.
    09-22-13 10:12 PM
    Yea - it amazes me every time I read things like that - it's sad to see how some people keep talking about things they have no clue what is. Even worse is that it is the same people who bash everything - no matter how good it is.

But - nothing is 100% safe - don't exist ... and quite frankly - if you are keeping so important and secret data that "no one" can see it - well - perhaps you should not keep it on a phone then... keep it locked away somewhere...

We can easily get "convenience lock" mechanism on our BlackBerry devices as well... now when they all have NFC - let your ring unlock the phone, or a tag at your desk... not 100% safe either - but could be convenient.. :-)
    09-22-13 10:34 PM
    The only reason Apple added this fingerprint scanner is because the home button is the most common failure on an iPhone so they added something really expensive to it, revenue! /s

Actually the power/lock button is
    09-22-13 10:43 PM
    His finger is touching the mold. I want to see if it works without electricity surging through it. (the way capacitive touchscreens work)

Q10
    09-22-13 10:46 PM
    Still know that the data transfered over a blackberry wifi connection in Starbucks is more secure than apple or iPhone, bes or not. Yeah you can sniff the ip, but good luck accessing the phone without a password that is set over any type of wifi sharing. Seen it at my work, couldn't crack it. And no was not on bes.

Posted via CB10
    If it's not using BES then the traffic is exactly the same as with an iPhone or Android. The encryption is determined by whatever is on the other end of the connection.
    09-22-13 10:49 PM
    Who's actually going to go thru all that just to get into someone's device lol really everyone needs to calm down about this. You're not the president of the united states people don't give a **** what kind of weird **** you have on your phone

Sent From Q10/HTC One
    TGR1 likes this.
    09-22-13 11:13 PM
    Who's actually going to go thru all that just to get into someone's device lol really everyone needs to calm down about this. You're not the president of the united states people don't give a **** what kind of weird **** you have on your phone

Sent From Q10/HTC One
    I know, LOL!

While its technically true that the Touch ID fingerprint reader has been "hacked" it doesn't really matter since hey: It's still more secure and convenient than a four number code.

And if people would go through all that trouble to unlock your phone, you got much bigger problems than this. And probably shouldn't keep anything secret on an electronic device anyways!
    09-23-13 01:06 AM
    Thanks for sharing. That made my day.

-aBBuser
    09-23-13 02:06 AM
    Personally, I think it's kind of funny this amazing new security feature that utilizes all new technology!

... didn't last a weekend.

Posted via CB10
    Hilarious I think, since MacGuyver rendered this tech useless with a simple powder back in the 80's lol.

Posted via CB10
    xandermac and bradu1 like this.
    09-23-13 02:21 AM
    The point of the finger-print-unlock is not to increase the maximum possible level of security for iOS devices. It is to increase the average level of security for average users.

Fingerprint = less secure than 4-digit passcode.
    4-digit passcode = less secure than, say, 32-digit password.

But many, may people don't use even a 4-digit passcode (I have no stats on this... just a subjective impression). I don't use one because it is a hassle. So for me, a fingerprint-unlock would be a significant security upgrade.

And since I don't hold vital corporate secrets, and I don't know where Abu Nazir is, the likelihood of someone dusting my prints, making a high-rez scan of them, printing out fake fingers in latex with a 3d printer, and using it to hack into my phone, is pretty low.

Heck, since I am probably lacking in physical courage, they could just as easily slap me once, threaten to do it again, and get me to tell them my passcode.

The "all new technology" isn't to make it bullet-proof, but to make it fast, convenient, and reliable. It seems to do that (I don't have an iPhone 5s, and haven't see or touched one, so I can't comment on whether it does or not. Folks who have seem to like it.)
    09-23-13 09:17 AM
    This is the best comment ever!... I love it.

Hilarious I think, since MacGuyver rendered this tech useless with a simple powder back in the 80's lol.

Posted via CB10
    09-23-13 09:18 AM
36 12