Being this a blackberry forum with a apple subforum and me myself being a former blackberry user I was wondering what everyone thought about the new Torch vs what is out now. I was looking at the phone and specs and could not help but to compare it to more of the iPhone 3GS rather than the iPhone4. I am not saying it is a bad phone because I have only seen pictures and seen the confirmed specs. What does everyone else think?
    08-03-10 11:51 AM
    Being this a blackberry forum with a apple subforum and me myself being a former blackberry user I was wondering what everyone thought about the new Torch vs what is out now. I was looking at the phone and specs and could not help but to compare it to more of the iPhone 3GS rather than the iPhone4. I am not saying it is a bad phone because I have only seen pictures and seen the confirmed specs. What does everyone else think?
    The hardware definitely isn't up to par with anything out (except other blackberries) and we have to see later about the software. I would still think that OS 6 is behind iOS 3.0,4.0 and Android 2.0-2.2
    08-03-10 11:56 AM
    With the release of this device and the new OS, RIM might be able to stem the tide of defections while enabling growth in the international market, which is all I think they're trying to do.

There's nothing in the new device that really screams, "WOW!!! I have to have that!" Until they have something like that, it'll be difficult for them to win over users from competing platforms. This might be enough however, keep potential new smartphone users interested in their products.
    08-03-10 12:18 PM
    Just spend about 10 minutes reading the forum... you will find thousands upon thousands of opinions regarding 6.0 and the torch... no need to start a new thread...

NO ONE is going to say the specs on the torch are any better than any phone on the current market... so whats the point of these stupid threads?
    08-03-10 12:55 PM
    With the release of this device and the new OS, RIM might be able to stem the tide of defections while enabling growth in the international market, which is all I think they're trying to do.

There's nothing in the new device that really screams, "WOW!!! I have to have that!" Until they have something like that, it'll be difficult for them to win over users from competing platforms. This might be enough however, keep potential new smartphone users interested in their products.
    I have to agree with ROO Zilla's comment.
    I need about 80 to 90% of what Apple has to offer and a 100% of what Blackberry does. I think the 9800 does that so I'll most likely stick with BB when its time to upgrade.
    08-03-10 06:26 PM
    Don't you mean Torch vs. Palm Pre..
    08-03-10 09:47 PM
    Actually P.I. Guy, these threads are amusing to a point.

The biggest complaints about Apple were, until recently: terrible battery life, no multitasking.
    So what did apple do? They addressed the 2 most often cited criticisms of the iPhone.

Do people still trash talk it? Hells yeah!

For a long time now, the 3 most common complaints about blackberry devices have been:
    Crappy browser, stale/tired UI and form factor inspired by a cookie cutter.
    What has RIM done? Addressed all 3.
    Will people still trash talk blackberry?
    Yep. People are lined up for their turn at the soapbox.

Many, many people prefer to criticize, because being negative seems so much easier for them.
    08-03-10 10:16 PM
    Very well said.
    I'm not going to get into a forum fight about which one is better because it's pointless and that answer is determined by the users needs. But for people not being able to see that this is a major step forward for bb.... Then they need to open there eyes.
    3 months ago the #1 complain on this site was the bb browser here.... The added a new browser that looks pretty good and added many features that move them into the social media market. Maybe the form factor is not everyones cup of tea but it's the first phone of the new bb "image".
    I think RIM did good on this and see bright new things from them

The biggest complaints about Apple were, until recently: terrible battery life, no multitasking.
    So what did apple do? They addressed the 2 most often cited criticisms of the iPhone.

For a long time now, the 3 most common complaints about blackberry devices have been:

Many, many people prefer to criticize, because being negative seems so much easier for them.
    Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    08-03-10 10:29 PM
    I like the Torch over the 3 GS for sure. The thing is, its not better than the new iPhone or the Captivate. So it comes to the table in third place already.
    08-13-10 04:49 PM
    All the OS optimizations and changes will benefit future BBs and some existing. So basically there are two separate parts, OS6 and the 9800...

Even if people rag on the processor and screen res, OS6 is going to benefit more than just the 9800...

That said, if you are a spec *****, you shouldn't be looking at either the 9800 or the iPhone 4 in the first place... If you are impressed by pretty numbers, you should be looking somewhere else entirely.
    08-13-10 04:56 PM
    lmao Good one!!
    08-13-10 05:12 PM
    comparing it will not make you like the device more...

if it does what you like and how you like it, then get it
    and test it out.

i bought my 9800 yesterday and have yet to put it down.
    my i4 on the other hand has been collecting dust.

does it mean the 9800 is better? no. but it does do a lot
    of the things i want/need it to do and that's what counts.
    08-13-10 05:58 PM
    comparing it will not make you like the device more...

if it does what you like and how you like it, then get it
    and test it out.

i bought my 9800 yesterday and have yet to put it down.
    my i4 on the other hand has been collecting dust.

does it mean the 9800 is better? no. but it does do a lot
    of the things i want/need it to do and that's what counts.
    ...and that is what matters most, not what others think.
    08-14-10 07:44 AM
    I tried the Torch for an hour or so and I was really underwhelmed. The main issue I had was how badly it lagged. The thing can barely follow your finger when scrolling. There were other small items that bothered me, but those were all minor compared to the general slowness of, basically everything. Everything also looked really choppy. Like when your scrolling in the browser, it wasn't smooth, it was like there were microscopic jerks the whole time when it moves. Pinch zoom behavior was also slow and choppy.

As for positives, I found the keyboard to be very nice. There were guys saying stuff about the build quality in the 9800 sub-forum, but the one I used didn't have any of those issues. There was very little or no wiggle. I made a couple of phone calls, there was some distortion, the tinny sound people mentioned, but it wasn't that bad and it didn't bother me much. It's a very nice looking and solid device although a bit on the heavy side. That's not a negative though, some people like a little heft.

I think overall it's a just ok. If you're coming from Blackberry and never used a recent iPhone or Droid device, then you'll probably be fine with it. You might not even notice the lag because you don't know any better. The browser, although not as nice or fast on Droid or iPhone, is still lightyears ahead of previous Blackberries. That alone might be reason enough for some to upgrade. The screen is also usable. As long as you don't compare it to recent super high rez screens, you'll be fine. On the other hand, if you're coming from recent Droids or iPhones, the lag and choppiness of the UI can be a dealbreaker.

If I had to pick either Torch or 3GS, I would pick 3GS. The lag bothers me a lot. That's just me though, some people might not mind it at all.
    Last edited by Roo Zilla; 08-14-10 at 07:20 PM.
    08-14-10 11:22 AM
    I have an iPhone 4 and have played with a torch and will not be upgrading my 9700 to one. After using the iPhone 4, the torch seems "clunky" as not as smooth.
    08-15-10 02:15 PM
    There is one other thing to consider. If you look through the 9800 subforums. It seems a lot of people are having quality control issues. Things like clacking when the screen is pushed, the screen wiggling, keys popping off, buttons coming unglued. If you do decide to get a 9800, perhaps you might want to wait until they sort out some of the manufacturing problems they are having.
    08-17-10 09:26 PM

Exactly. No "wow" at all about the Torch. I left blackberry after 5 years of loyalty. I defended and defended them as being better devices. After my first week with the Iphone 4, I'm gone from blackberry till they come up with something awesome. I would come back tomorrow if they had a phone equal or better to the Iphone 4.
    08-18-10 09:49 AM
    Exactly. And even the pre pwns the 9800.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    08-18-10 05:16 PM

Its hard to imagine anyone spending more than $600 on their phone criticizing their own handset/brand, so instead they justify their own purchases by criticizing everything else. Its mainly psychological if you ask me and the fact that humans are never satisfied. But hey anything that promotes competition is good I guess.

Example: A couple of months back a friend of mine bought a Samsung Omnia2 and actually enjoyed using it for a short time, continuously boasting about the HD capabilities, sound quality, customizable UI and everytime he would see my then Nokia E52 he would criticize it. A few weeks later he ended up smashing his own phone to bits coz it wasn't so reliable with phone calls. Funny thing is right after that he admitted my phone was better even without the superb multimedia capability that he had on his phone.
    Last edited by bushako; 08-19-10 at 12:54 AM.
    08-19-10 12:49 AM
    I have to agree with ROO Zilla's comment.
    I need about 80 to 90% of what Apple has to offer and a 100% of what Blackberry does. I think the 9800 does that so I'll most likely stick with BB when its time to upgrade.
    What about using skype on a blackberry??? I'm trying to decide what phone to get and am not that into the i-phone other than it's skype capabilities. I do a lot of long distance calling within Canada as well as the states and skype seems to be a great way to go without using your minutes.

I see there is some sort of IM Skype app but it appears to use local minutes as well as data. I'd rather just use my wifi.

Any suggestions
    12-14-10 02:11 AM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD