i tried to love the playbook, i really did , but now since using it for almost a month and having owned a ipad, i cant. it lacks the simplicity of the ipad in do many ways. maybe i have been ibrainwashed or maybe i havent but just typing this i double taped the the space bar more times than i can count. so here are my main reasons for liking the ipad more.

1. home sharing, i cant stress enough over how easy it is to stream any mivie or tv show to the ipad from your mac or pc wirelesly,tap a button and bang thats it. not many options to stream to playbook, i tried orb the other day and it was a joke. the movies show up only 10 percent of the time and when they do they barely play.

2. itunes, some love it, some hate it but millions cant be wrong, ive been using itunes to organize music long before i even iwned an apple product. millions of songs,tv shows, movies, apps and podcasts litterly a click away, sure playbook has a music store and an app store but come on, can you honestly compare them? and what about renting/buying movies or tv shows on the device?, nope. i can browse movies on the ipad, read reviewz watch a trailer, need i say more?

3. app store, even though its part if itunes, on the ipad,iphone it feels like a whole new app cause it is, i knew playbook had limited appz,but come on thisis ridiculous.

4. syncing or adding cintent to the playbook is a joke, and diesnt even compare to the way itunes does it. i added the first 3 shows of a seson to the playbook and the next day added 3 more, the newer ones are at the top instaed of being in order. maybe this is normal on the playbook but on the ipad they always go in order and each tv show has its own folder and movies also have their own place it even shows you wich you have allready watched. on the playbook everything is tossed in the videos app, i threw 4or5 episodes of about 6 different tv shows and some movies and i now have about 35 videos in their in no particular order, what a mess! on the ipad in that same situation, i have a movies app and inside i have a section for tv shows and movies, they are automaticlly added to tbe right place for me and each tv show shows the box of each show and clicking on it will shiw you your episodes.

so those are my main problems now here are some minor(for me) problems

1. no emsil,calendar or contacts. i dont own a blackberry phone so i cant use those features? another strike for rim, do ipad owners need iphone to use them on the ipad? of course not, apple is not stupid they want a broader fan base, a tablet withiut email is just wrong.

2. books, not much choice for books on the playbook. ibooks for ipad is excellent and it is not even the only book reader available.

3. desktop manager for mac, not available? are you kidding me? i guess rim really does have slmething against apple, and even the Dm for windows.is pathetic compared to itunes,when itunes started did the support only macs?

4.homescreen organization, i have only about 30 apps.on the playbook and its allready a mess, what about folders lr even a universal search? ipad has that

5. syncing to the cloud , would be nice to be able to back up my contacts,notes calendar, email and even have them sync to my mac, oh wait playbook doesnt do email and contacts.

6. auto correct or precision cursor, you may hqve noticed a lot of typos in this, sure the playbook underlines typos but it is almost impossible to get the little cursor where i want it so.i can correct the mistake, on the ipad i can hold down tbe cursor and vet a zoomed look and navigate with ease or even better, on the ipad if there is a typo just tap the word and it gives you thecorrect spelling.

7. scrolling, scrolling works pretty good on the playbook, bit what about when you have to scroll a part of the page? its a nightmare. on the ipad you just use 2 fingers.

8.flash, i was excited for flash since apple is dead set against it, but after using it i know why steve jobs hates it, it slows down the device tremendously.

well, im sure theres more but i cant think anymore, like i said, maybe i am
    ibrainwashed but i know my technology and i know what i see, the playbook is defianatly not better than the ipad in anyway.
    06-18-11 07:42 PM
    thanks, tldr
    06-18-11 07:51 PM
    TIPB is that way -------------->

Max

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    06-18-11 07:56 PM
    tags say it all
    06-18-11 07:58 PM
    i think u fall into the category of guys who need the itunes and movies. i too have the ipad2 and playbook but have the opposite experience. my ipad2 sits unused. i even use the android devices more. but the pb is what i use most of the time. flash makes up for alot of the apps i dont need. my email client has always been gmail or aol. i only miss my skype. i dont really miss my kindle ebooks because it is impossible to read ebooks for long on any device except the kindle itself.

i watch movies on the devices only when i travel so the pb is alot handier. i dont watch movies at home on the devices since even my tv is networked. my main disapoointment with the ipad2 is the lack of mutlitasking and flash. it is also too heavy still.
    06-18-11 08:02 PM
    Cool, thanks... Phew. Glad someones here to tell me what I want.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    06-18-11 08:02 PM
    Looked hard at the playbook and have a BB but have decided to go with an ipad2. Most of the issues in the original post mention basic features that should be in all tablets coming on the market today. Maybe not exactly the same but within reason.

RIM not having email or contacts is almost unbelievable when they claim their tablet is ground breaking. You can say they wanted to get to market and no harm in introducing it before it was ready. But there have been very few positive reviews or expectations of what exists. IMO you have one shot to make a big impression and it has now been lost. They will continually have to try to win over new users with it is ready now or will be soon or wait till this or that comes out. That is not what this market appears to want.

BB really dropped the ball and with the new phones as well. I believe they are still going to be behind Android and the iphone when it comes to features that most smartphone users today come to expect today but we have not seen what they are offering yet.

The next generation of smart phones will not settle for BB with there current and upcoming offerings when there is so much more options and easier interfaces and exciting technology that exist today. Not in an update.

To me it just does not look like BB can stay in this market as a leader. They simply do not seem to grasp what the next generation of smart phone users are expecting.

It would be a shame to see BB not pay attention to the market and what people really want in a smart phone but I see no really market changing technology anytime soon.
    06-18-11 08:16 PM
    tl;dr

Once again, TIPB is that way ----------------------->

Also, inb4 lock

max
    06-18-11 08:21 PM
    No lock, we'll just move it to the Apple sub forum.
    06-18-11 08:30 PM
    Here's my 5 cents: A tablet is still something nobody really NEEDS. I have to admit, I don't use my PlayBook as much as I did when I first got it. I may use it more again once certain apps come out but still I don't think it's the main issue.

I have an iPad in my backpack. It's from work and I can pretty much use it as much as I want, kind of like it's mine. Yet I never turn it on unless I'm actually doing some work that involves the iPad. It doesn't have any more appeal to me than my PlayBook does. Probably less actually. I do use my PlayBook quite a lot to take meeting notes and pictures etc. during creative brainstorm sessions at work. The portability makes it 'win' from the iPad here. Other than that... both are tablets and honestly my MacBook Pro is still superior to any tablet and I keep finding myself sitting on the couch with it rather than with one of the tablets.

I guess what I'm trying to say is that if you think the PlayBook is no good and you'd trade it for an iPad you'll probably find yourself not using the iPad a lot either after the novelty wears off. It simply means you were never that much of a 'tablet person' to begin with. Just my 2 cents of course but I really do think this is the underlying psychology of it all.
    06-18-11 08:31 PM
    No lock, we'll just move it to the Apple sub forum.

Foiled Again! (But thanks for the move)

max
    06-18-11 08:32 PM
    weak sauce ifanboy tripe. I figured out all the ifan's gripes in an hour. Yes I have BB and the bridge is sweet, sweet, sweet. The missing elements are all in the pipeline and when delivered will no doubt be superior to similar igoulag offerings just like the PB screen, browsing and UI is superior to the islab.

The ithing is more polished at this point in time but the icrapple stuff lacks a fundamental level of talent and potential that QNX brings to the PB.
    06-18-11 08:38 PM
    The ipad is a great device! If they make a 7 inch one and start supporting flash then i might even make the switch but for now I think I'll stick with my PB. However for many the ipad IS a good choice.

The apps almost swayed me but I'm willing to wait for the native SDK and the Android player to come out.
    06-18-11 08:48 PM
    I have to disagree slightly. I find the ipad a novelty and curiosity, but it is not "great". To me the playbook is better suited for what I want to do. But since I wanted a tablet I decided to try out the "best". So here are my comments on top of your comments. After working with a tablet, I clearly want one, but I'm not sure the ipad is the "ultimate" device but I do enjoy using it for things it can handle that in the past I would have taken my laptop out for.

1. home sharing - don't care about it don't doit.
    2. itunes don't use it and other software has worked well for me in the past. DM has worked nicely.
    3. app store - concept is fine as long as it is one of other options for acquiring apps. Hated giving them a credit card number for nothing. Really hate the fact that without jailbreaking app store is it.
    4. synching - don't really use the feature so I can't comment.

-------

1. email and calendar - if you have a blackberry a playbook is like heaven.
    2. books - don't read 'em on electronic devices
    3. desktop manager for mac - I agree with this
    4. homescreen - can't really comment I only worked with a playbook with a couple off apps
    5. synching to the cloud - not needed on playbook because blackberry has the stuff that is needed
    6. auto correct or precision cursor - i haven't used it in the playbook, but I kinda hate the implementation in mobile safari and after a month can't get used to it.
    7. scrolling - haven't played with it in detail on the playbook, but it's a mess for me with some of these javascript controls on the ipad. I actually have gone back to my s2 to answer a post, because I couldn't figure out how to scroll on the ipad for certain web controls, there are no scroll bars.
    8. flash - lack of support nuff said.

9. mobile safari - it's just okay I have my issues with it. Lack of upload/download button support nearly negates the whole ipad thing and is the reason an app is needed for everything.
    Last edited by i7guy; 06-19-11 at 08:32 AM.
    pkcable likes this.
    06-19-11 08:28 AM
    Typical of people to call ifanboy or apple geek, this is an opinion and im sure plent of people that are trying to decide wich tablet to buy, The ipad is way ahead of any tablet on the market in hardware and software, enough said.
    06-20-11 08:22 PM
    To the OP. I'm glad you found what works for you. Enjoy it! We all need to get what we like not what everyone else likes or what is in.
    06-20-11 08:25 PM
    Very good points OP. I had the Playbook then got an iPad 2. I was in awe after seeing how smooth the OS was on the iPad, very fast browser and amazing apps made for the iPad. Everything was perfectly smooth.
    06-23-11 09:31 PM
    I'm still yet to see what the Playbook can offer me that the iPad can't. I've played with one, and well, let's just say, I'll leave it where it is...
    06-24-11 07:03 AM
    I'm still yet to see what the Playbook can offer me that the iPad can't. I've played with one, and well, let's just say, I'll leave it where it is...
    It's all preference. If you prefer the ipad I guess that is what you like. The playbook does offer bb users more than the ipad does. The playbook uses flash and ipad uses apps to do what flash does on the playbook. There are more apps for the ipad right now and probably always will be. Does that mean the playbook doesn't need some good apps, nope.
    06-24-11 07:36 AM
    ...well, clearly this is all Apples & Oranges, oops, I mean Berry's...

It's all preference. If you prefer the ipad I guess that is what you like. The playbook does offer bb users more than the ipad does. The playbook uses flash and ipad uses apps to do what flash does on the playbook. There are more apps for the ipad right now and probably always will be. Does that mean the playbook doesn't need some good apps, nope.
    06-24-11 08:40 AM
    ...well, clearly this is all Apples & Oranges, oops, I mean Berry's...
    LOL yeah, so I guess I can't answer what the playbook offers you that an ipad does not. I don't own a playbook yet but plan on it at some point.
    06-24-11 08:53 AM
    LOL yeah, so I guess I can't answer what the playbook offers you that an ipad does not. I don't own a playbook yet but plan on it at some point.
    The iPad is nice, the playbook is nice. Half the time the iPad is too big and the playback too small.

I don't care about apps or games. I was playing games with my wife, for the first three days it was cool, I haven't made a move in two weeks.

There are people who are absolutely gaga over the iPad, I'm still waiting for the lightning strike.
    06-24-11 09:27 AM
    I'm telling you as soon as they make a 7 inch ipad with flash then I will give up my PB! I LOVE the access to apps the ipads/iphone/ipod touch's have. I really enjoy , my jailbroken ipod touch.
    06-24-11 10:12 AM
    I'm telling you as soon as they make a 7 inch ipad with flash then I will give up my PB! I LOVE the access to apps the ipads/iphone/ipod touch's have. I really enjoy , my jailbroken ipod touch.
    Do you ever think the app side of things will come to QNX or will they always be behind in this department!
    06-24-11 12:43 PM
    Do you ever think the app side of things will come to QNX or will they always be behind in this department!
    I think the landscape will improve vastly when the BB & Android Players are released to the OS and the Native SDK is released to developers. HOWEVER, they got a LONG LONG way to go to catch up to Apple and or Google. Lets revisit this question early fall.
    06-24-11 01:54 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD